1. Describe the functional anatomy of the spinal cord using the following terms:
a. white matter
b. gray matter
e. spinal nerves
2. Define the following terms:
b. spinal reflex – and give example
c. stretch reflex – and give example
d. identify parts/components of a reflex arc
3. a. Define the term spinal cord injury (SCI).
b. SCIs are usually due to what 3 types of injury to the spinal cord?
c. State the prevalence of SCIs.
4. Define the terms:
a. neurological level
b. tetraplegia (quadriplegia)
d. For (b) and (c), indicate the specific vertebra where loss of function occurs.
5. Define the terms:
c. Explain how each relates to SCI
d. How are myotomes tested?
e. What are the test results used to indicate?
6. Look back at your definitions of neurological level of injury and stretch reflex. Describe
how such reflexes are used to anatomically localize SCI.
7. a. Based upon the results of Jason’s neurological exam, what is the neurological level of
b. Explain how you got your answer.
8. a. Discuss the history and management of SCI.
b. What 2 factors determine the prognosis for SCI?
9. At what point do doctors decide damage/impairment due to SCI is permanent?