What Is Solar Power?
• Solar Technology converts the sun’s
heat and light into energy that can be
used for many uses throughout the
home,business and industry.
How Does Solar
Technology Do this?
Solar Power Can be Used for
many things including
• Heating & cooling rooms
• Electrical appliances
• Heating water
• directly convert sunlight into electricity, are made of
• simplest forms can power watches, calculators and
other low power machines.
• Complex forms of photovoltaic solar cells can light
entire houses and provide power to the power grid.
Passive Solar Heating
• No mechanical means used.
• Buildings can be designed to allow passive solar
heating eg: Large south facing windows to let in
sunlight and heat.
• Natural ventilation is used for cooling.
• Use can cut heating bills by 50%
Concentrating Solar Power
• Uses reflective materials such as mirrors to concentrate
the sun's heat energy.
• Concentrated heat is then turned into electricity.
Hot Water and Space Heating and
• Use the sun to heat either water or heat-transfer
• Reduces the need for conventional water heating by
ISSUES INVOLVED WITH SOLAR
• Solar Resources
• Green Power