Students may not bring air conditioners without permission from Housing and Dining Services. A student may obtain
permission to install an air conditioner for medical reasons only. A student will need to provide documentation of a medical
need from a personal physician to Health Services. Health Services staff will then verify and provide recommendation to
Housing and Dining Services. Once the need is documented and approved, the student must provide the air conditioner
for the university to install. Housing and Dining Services will then initiate a work order to install the student’s air
conditioner in the appropriate location, and once completed, will charge the student for all associated costs. Housing and
Dining Services maintains a listing of specifications for air conditioners for all residential buildings. There are no

Bicycle racks are provided in residential areas where appropriate. No bicycles shall be parked or stored in such a manner
as to block entrance/exit from any building, to impede the normal movement of wheelchair users or others with special
mobility needs, and/or to any interior or exterior stairway or railing. Storage of bicycles may not violate fire safety
regulations. Such violations in residential buildings will result in removal and storage of the bicycle. Students may be
charged a fine and storage costs. While every attempt will be made to not damage a bicycle while in the process of
removal or storage, the university is not liable for damage to a bicycle removed because of a violation. To claim a bicycle
removed from a residential building, contact campus police. Bicycles are to be “walked” inside any residential building.
This information is in addition to the university policy on bikes.

The posting of notices, announcements or posters on bulletin boards in residence halls is restricted to recognized student
organizations or to individual Carnegie Mellon students. The residential life staff regulates bulletin boards in the living
areas of residence halls, while Student Government regulates bulletin boards in other public areas. Bulletin boards in
individual living units are under the direct control of the RA and the members of that living unit. Students or recognized
student organizations wishing to disseminate information through these bulletin boards should make a request to the
residential life staff to distribute notices to RAs for posting.

Reservations for transitional housing must be cancelled 48 hours in advance of your stay or you will be billed for the dates
you reserved.

Each resident is absolutely responsible for any damages or losses that occur in the assigned living areas or to any of the
furnishings therein, and may be charged the cost of any repairs, replacement or reasonable custodial service. Each
student is, with the other residents, jointly responsible for whatever damage may occur, for any cause, to public and semi-
public areas in the residence halls. All residents may be charged a pro-rated share of the cost of repairing public areas.

Cooking in residence hall rooms is strictly prohibited for health and safety reasons. It is permitted only in areas specifically
provided as kitchen areas, such as apartment kitchens and common area kitchens properly equipped by the university.
(Exception: “Compact” microwave ovens—under 600 watts—are permitted in residence hall rooms.)

No electrical appliances that incorporate unshielded heating elements or draw more than 600 watts may be used in
student rooms. Hot plates or toaster ovens of any kind are prohibited in the residence halls. Electric irons may be used
only in areas where utility outlets are provided, such as in designated utility or laundry rooms.

Visitors and guests are allowed in residence halls. This permits students to conveniently meet for academic, personal and
social reasons. At all times, residents are personally responsible for the actions of their guests. As a result, residents are
responsible for damage, physical or otherwise, to the community caused by your visitors. If the guests are Carnegie
Mellon students, then they also accept responsibility for their actions. All visitors or guests to a room are subject to the
approval of all room residents. Overnight guests are not permitted for more than two consecutive nights. Overnight guests
who are not university residents should register with the residential life staff to ensure knowledge of their presence in case
emergency situations arise.
Improper use of facilities will be construed as the occupation, alteration or use of university facilities so as to create a
potential fire or safety hazard or so as to create a potential danger to the person or any other authorized occupant or user.

Residents may bring their own compact microwaves to campus as long as they are under 600 watts.

Open flames or burning materials of any kind, including candles, incense and other combustibles, are absolutely
prohibited in campus housing.

No signs, posters or banners of any size shall be hung outside or around any residential building, except upon special
request. This applies to all residence halls, apartment buildings and houses, fraternities and sororities. Special
consideration may be given, on request, for groups to use outdoor postings during university-wide special events.
Requests for exceptions to this policy should be made to the director of Housing and Dining Services.

Pets, with the exception of fish in an aquarium or Seeing Eye dogs, are not permitted in campus housing, including
student rooms, fraternities, sororities and public areas. Pets may not be kept or brought into residential areas.

Authorized representatives of the university may enter resident accommodations at any time to inspect facilities or to carry
out repairs and maintenance. The inspection of facilities will be conducted with at least 24 hours prior notice in writing
whenever that notice can be reasonably given. If any Housing and Dining Services or residential life staff member enters
a student room without a prior request or written notice, the student will receive a report documenting the time and
purpose of entry.

All residents have the right to determine the private activity that takes place in their assigned rooms. Members of the floor
also have the right to determine community standards for the floor. Roommates have equal voice in determining the
private activities of the room, and one roommate’s rights must not infringe upon another roommate’s rights.

At the beginning of each academic year, a layout of each lounge area and its contents will be inventoried and may be
posted in the lounge. The furniture and contents of the lounge facilities should not be removed from the lounges under
any circumstances without the expressed authorization of the building facility coordinator. In addition to disciplinary action,
student(s) found with common area furniture will be charged the standard hourly labor rate to return each piece to its
proper location.

Quiet hours for all residence areas are 8 p.m. - 8 a.m. during weekdays, and 2 a.m.- 9 a.m. during weekends. During
finals week or reading days, 24-hour quiet hours will be in effect. For long vacation weekends, weekend hours will be in
effect until the night before classes resume. Courtesy hours exist at all other times, during which the right of residents to
live in an environment free from bothersome noise should be respected. “Quiet” is defined as being unable to hear any
noise at a distance of 10 feet from a room with a closed door. During “courtesy” hours, noise can be considered
bothersome if it can be heard at a distance of 50 feet. Keep in mind, though, that the notion of “courtesy” more broadly
involves structuring your activities so that other people in your living unit are not adversely affected by noise. In particular,
all residents are encouraged to carefully plan their use of sound equipment (such as stereos and TVs) or their social
gatherings so that the noise produced by them does not infringe upon the rights of others. The established quiet hours
stated above are the minimums for every residence area. If you or anyone in your living unit believe that quiet hours
should be extended, contact your RA or SDC representative. That person has the authority to conduct a vote of the
people living in your area and, pending unanimous approval, extended quiet hours will be implemented. If you have
concerns in relation to quiet hours or courtesy hours in your living area, please feel free to consult your RA. The RA is
your primary advocate in situations involving noise violations and can assist you by addressing any questions or concerns
you may have.

Welch House and all Oakland Community Apartments are designated as quiet living environments.
Residents may bring their own mini-refrigerators to campus as long as they are smaller than 4.5 cubic feet and operate on
110/120 VAC. Residents who do not remove personal mini-refrigerators at closing will have their student accounts
charged $40 per hour for removal and $60 for refrigerator disposal.

In signing a Housing License Agreement, each resident agrees to abide by whatever regulations may be established by
the university, Housing and Dining Services, the residential life staff, the Student Dormitory Council or the individual living
units. Any resident student whose conduct does not meet the standards established for the university community may be
denied the privilege of campus residency.

All residents of a room or apartment are equally responsible for the accommodation and its furnishings.
Any damages to a student’s room will be charged to the occupants of that room.

Students are not permitted to paint rooms or other residential areas. Housing and Dining Services maintains a rotation
schedule that allows for all residential areas to be painted on a regular basis. Students who paint their room without
authorization will be charged the cost of having the room professionally painted.

All residential buildings are designated smoke-free with the exception of Fairfax Apartments and Webster Hall. Carnegie
Mellon has a vital interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors while
respecting individual choice. It is Carnegie Mellon’s policy to provide smoke-free areas to the maximum extent possible.
Where the desire of smokers to smoke conflicts with the desire of nonsmokers to breathe smoke-free air, the desire to
have smoke-free air will have priority. Smoking is permitted in Fairfax Apartments and Webster Hall as long as all the
residents of the room agree.

Unauthorized door-to-door sales and/or solicitation are expressly prohibited in any residence area. “Solicitation” is defined
to mean any effort to ask for donations or contributions of money, goods or services. “Sales” are defined to mean any
activity of offering a product or service in exchange for money, goods or other services. In exceptional cases, an individual
or group seeking permission to be in the residential areas for the purpose of soliciting or selling must receive an
expressed, written authorization from the residential life staff. In most cases, those recognized groups or individuals that
receive permission to be in the residence halls will be restricted to tables reserved for such purposes in public areas or

Mudge House is the primary area used for summer housing but current residents of Fairfax Apartments and Webster
Apartments are permitted to apply for summer housing in those buildings. There is a charge for summer housing.

Swimming pools and hot tubs are prohibited because of the hazards associated with drowning, electrocution and the
weight of large volumes of water. Because we cannot guarantee that all necessary safety precautions will be taken,
students are not permitted to have or use swimming pools and hot tubs. Reducing the size of the pool or tank does not
remove the hazard.

Waterbeds are prohibited in campus housing because of the potential for significant damage to the residence halls and to
students’ personal property if a waterbed breaks or is vandalized.

Students are not permitted to remove screens from their windows. Missing screens or screens that have been removed
from windows will be reinstalled at the student’s expense.

No wire may be strung outside any living unit or any alterations made to any university residential building without the
expressed permission of Housing and Dining Services. This includes satellite dishes, radio and television aerials.
In addition, no student or student organization may alter or tap into university utility lines, television antenna wires or cable
lines without the expressed permission of Housing and Dining Services (in the case of resident facilities) or Facilities
Management Services (in the case of other campus buildings).

To top