Campus and Community Resources by fjzhxb


									Campus and Community Resources
Academic Major Advising Every student is assigned to a faculty advisor either through orientation or through his or her major program of study. Contact your undergraduate academic program office or the department chair for the program you seek to major in for more information. Alumni Association 109 Memorial Hall (Phone 5-2317) Stay connected to UMass Amherst by joining your Alumni Association, which maintains your ties to the University through print publications and It also provides scholarships to undergraduates and grants to campus and alumni groups. Arts & Sciences Undergraduate Advising Center E24 Machmer Hall (Phone 5-2192) We offer academic advising services for students with declared majors in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. In addition to drop-in and scheduled appointments for general academic advising with the Deans and staff, the center assists students with issues such as academic regulations, college requirements, foreign language testing, records audits, prior approval as well as issues relating to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students can obtain information regarding other campus resources and referral counseling to many other agencies on campus. We invite you to stop in at any time to discuss your academic needs or concerns with us. We look forward to meeting with you.

University Health Services (Phone 7-5071) BASICS helps students explore their alcohol and drug use in a non-judgmental and non-confrontational environment. The goal of the program is to reduce risky behaviors and harmful consequences of high-risk alcohol use. The program involves two 50-minute sessions, typically spaced two weeks apart, and conducted one-on-one with a Prevention Specialist and the student. In the first session, students review their reasons for attending, discuss their history with alcohol and other drugs, and complete a confidential web-based questionnaire. During the second session, students receive a personal feedback profile regarding their use of alcohol and other drugs, based on information they provided during the first session. Feedback includes strategies to lessen the risk of experiencing consequences and developing future problems as a result of high-risk drinking. Students also have the opportunity to learn how their drinking compares to other UMass Amherst students. Students with personal alcohol-related concerns may self-refer to BASICS to assess their own risks. For first- and second-time alcohol policy violations, students may be required to attend BASICS. Students who are seen medically for an alcohol-related incident will also be referred to BASICS. Bilingual Collegiate Program 101 Wilder Hall (Phone 5-1968) The program offers academic support to Latino/Latina students. Services include free tutorial programs, academic/career/personal counseling; financial aid advising, Outreach info., referral and advocacy, and general referral services. Bursar’s Office 215 Whitmore Administration Building (Phone 5-2368) The main activities of the Office of the Bursar include student billing and collections for all graduate and undergraduate students at the University. We prepare and mail tuition bills and provide account analysis to students and parents/guardians. Payments for tuition fee bills are processed throughout the year, either in person or through the mail.

Career Services 511 Goodell Hall (Phone 5-2224) Career Services helps students and alumni identify and pursue satisfying careers through a variety of programs and services. We also offer programs to assist those employers who are seeking talented students or alumni. Commonwealth College Honor Program 504 Goodell Hall (Phone 5-2483) Commonwealth College offers individual counseling from faculty, professional and peer advisors. Tutoring is available through the office. Call this office directly for more information. To schedule an advising appointment call 5-2483. Counseling and Assessment Services 123 Berkshire House (Phone 5-0333) Counseling is available to students for a variety of academic and personal issues. The Center provides Counseling Psychology Services including career development; stress control and anxiety management services; biofeedback and stress management. Special support services are available for students with documented learning disabilities. The Center also offers English as a Second Language (ESL) services in their 308 Bartlett Hall office. Dean of Students 227 Whitmore Administration Building (Phone 5-2684) The Dean of Students offers many services for students. These services include supportive academic advising, advocacy & referrals, advising on the academic honor societies on campus, academic & personal crisis intervention, and withdrawal from the university. The Dean of Students also provides emergency loan assistance. Dining Services We operate one of the largest and most comprehensive self-operated food service programs in the nation. Our dining program provides students, faculty, and staff with an array of dining options, ranging from self- serve buffet style programs in residential locations to retail dining and the finest in catering. At UMass Dining, our goal is to be one of the top dining programs in the nation, with a repertoire of various cuisines and outstanding services for our customers. Worcester Dining Commons Located near the Northeast residential area is one of the most popular dining facilities on campus. You can dine at either Hillside or in the Oak Room. Offerings include many concepts: Sushi, Pho noodles, create-your-own stir fry, pizza, Dim Sum brunch, pasta, Grab-n-Go, Breakfast on the run, salad bar, deli station, American fare and much more...

Franklin Dining Commons Located at the Central residential area and has a beautiful dining room. It is famous for vegan dishes. It offers many dining concepts such as: Sushi bar, pizza station, international bar, pasta and salad bar, a stand-alone vegan station, deli bar, and many American fare items...New for the fall - Grab-n-Go

Hampshire Dining Commons Located across Coolidge Hall in the Southwest residential area, this site offers many popular concepts including: Sushi bar, pizza and made-to-order deli station, pasta station, stir-fry station, vegetarian station, Grab-n-Go, salad bar, Breakfast on the Run, dim sum brunch, omelet station, American fare and more...

Berkshire Dining Commons Newly renovated in 2006. Berkshire DC, located across from John Adams and John Q Adams Hall in the Southwest residential area, features many display cooking areas with freshness of ingredients in mind.

Disability Services 231 Whitmore Administration Building (Phone 5-0892) Disability services are available to anyone on this campus who has a documented disability. A range of services is provided, beginning with the transition from secondary to post-secondary education and continuing through the college experience. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis. The more frequently requested accommodations are accessible classrooms and dorms; communication access; adaptive equipment; academic accommodations; counseling and advocacy; awareness workshops; lab assistants; and tutoring service. Diversity in Management Education Services (DiMES) 206 Isenberg School of Management Building (Phone 5-5610) This program offers assistance and support to Students of Color enrolled in the School of Management. Services include tutoring, advising and referral. Continuing and Professional Education 100 Venture Way, Suite 101, Hadley (Phone 5-2414) Continuing Education offers many courses for both credit and non-credit. Students may take courses through this program toward a degree or to get exposure to college courses. However, there are some restrictions; students interested in taking courses through Continuing Education should meet with their academic faculty advisor first. Continuing Education also offers Lifelong Learning Workshops. Engineering Diversity Programs Office 128 Marston Hall (Phone 5-2030) The Diversity Programs Office (DPO) at the College of Engineering provides academic and non-academic support to increase enrollment, retention and graduation among under-represented minorities and women.

Environmental Health & Safety 117 Draper (Phone 5-2682) The Department of Environmental Health & Safety operates a comprehensive environmental health and safety program on the Amherst Campus. The Department uses a multi-disciplinary approach. Responsibilities within the Department are organized by program area.

Equal Opportunity and Diversity Office 243 Lederle GRC Lowrise (Phone 5-3464) This office offers many services to both students & staff including filing of charges; advice regarding the grievance process; information about options and resources. Everywoman’s Center Wilder Hall and Nelson House (Phone 545-0883 Main) (545-0800 Rape Violence Hotline) Everywoman’s Center (EWC) is a multicultural women’s center based at the University of Massachusetts, providing a range of services to the diverse cultural and linguistic populations of Hampshire County. All services are free and confidential. The EWC is open year-round. Information and Support Service:


Resource/Referral Program: offers specialized information and referral with a particular focus on issues of concern to women, including childcare, employment, housing, legal services, and support groups. Maintains a lending library, resource materials, access to a computerized database, and a comfortable drop-in space.


Women of Color Leadership Network (WOCLN): offers cultural, educational and social programming, information and support services for Women of Color, and works to build and strengthen relationships between relevant university and community groups and organizations. Counseling Services: offers short-term personal counseling for women, call-in and walk-in services, assessment, referrals and support groups.


Rape Crisis and Violence Prevention Services:


Counselor Advocate Program: offers 24-hour comprehensive services for victims/survivors or rape, battering, incest, sexual assault, and sexual harassment, and support groups for victims/survivors. Call the 24-hour hotline at (413) 545-0883 or toll free in Hampshire County at 1-888-337-0800. Specialized Teen Services: offers services designed to meet the needs of teen survivors of sexual assault and dating violence. Educator/Advocate Program: offers educational workshops, training, and community organizing on issues of violence against women and women’s empowerment. The Hilltown Project: offers educational workshops, training, community organizing and referrals on issues of domestic violence to the six towns of Western Hampshire County. The Teen Education Project: is a collaboration with the Hampshire Educational Collaborative to provide workshops for HEC students and training for HEC school personnel on issues of child sexual assault, dating violence and sexual assault.

   

Financial Aid Services 255 Whitmore Administration Building (Phone 5-0801) Hours: Monday- Friday 9-5pm. Students may also log on to SPIRE to learn more about their financial aid. Fine Arts Center Since its founding in 1975, the UMass Fine Arts Center has been a central force in the cultural, social and academic life of the University, the Five College campuses, and the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. The Fine Arts Center's combination of educational, visual, and performing arts programs not only makes us unique, but it also secures a very vital and necessary position for us to meet the diverse needs of scholars, faculty, students, alumni and the broader community.

Five College Center for the Study of World Languages 102 Bartlett Hall (Phone 5-3453) The Five College Center for the Study of World Languages (FCCSWL) coordinates the study of the least commonly taught languages for the Five College consortium. The consortium, known as Five Colleges, Incorporated, includes Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. The Center also develops materials and curricula for language learning with an emphasis on the least commonly taught languages and on more commonly taught languages as spoken in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. The Center coordinates the Five College Supervised Independent Language Program (FCSILP) which offers independent study courses in nineteen languages: Bulgarian, Croatian (Serbo-Croatian), Czech, Dari (Afghan Farsi), Modern Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Norwegian, Persian (Iranian Farsi), Romanian, Serbian (Serbo-Croatian), Slovak, Thai, Twi (Ghana), Turkish, Turkmen, Urdu (Pakistan), Vietnamese, Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria).

Five Colleges, Incorporated 97 Spring Street, Amherst (Phone 256-8316) Open cross-registration or Five College Interchange offers students enrolled at one college the option of taking courses at any of the other four without paying additional fees. In principle, any course whose content conforms to the definition of a liberal arts study may be taken for credit through interchange. The existence of the interchange makes possible a whole

range of Five College curricular structures, including the two departments in Astronomy and Dance and a wide variety of Five College programs. Approximately 4,500 cross registrations take place each year. The guidelines observed by all five institutions state that: “Any student in good academic standing at the home campus is eligible to take a course, at no additional charge, at another campus, if the course is deemed beneficial to the overall educational program worked out between the student and his/her advisor." Among the supporting arrangements that make interchange as accessible as possible are: fare-free buses (see campus maps and tours for help finding your way once you're there) the Five College online course catalog open library borrowing meal exchange

Graduate School 530 Goodell Hall (Phone 5-0722) This office provides info and assistance regarding admission, registration, and degree requirements for the Graduate School here at UMass. For information and assistance with specific graduate programs, students should contact the Deans of the appropriate programs. International Programs Office 467 Hills South (Phone 5-2710) IPO coordinates and administers more than fifty overseas study programs, many of them full-year reciprocal exchanges. Guidance is provided to students seeking an overseas experience, whether on a program sponsored by the University of by another institution. IPO also offers assistance to foreign families, coming from more than 105 countries. The services include advising on immigration regulations; personal, financial and academic counseling; guidance on employment issues and adjustment to U.S. life; and assistance in dealing with foreign governments here and abroad. Learning Commons W.E.B. DuBois Library Lower Level (Phone 7-1272) The UMass Amherst Learning Commons is located on the Lower Level of the W.E.B. Du Bois library. This new space brings together library, technology, and other campus services in an environment that fosters informal, collaborative work, and social interaction.

Learning Resource Center 10th Floor WEB Dubois Library (Phone 5-5334) Learning Resource Center (LRC), formerly Learning Support Services, offers University of Massachusetts Amherst students a peer-supported environment to meet academic challenges. Tutors and Supplemental Instruction Leaders are model students trained to assist their peers in achieving academic success. Mental Health Services 127 Hills North (Phone 5-2337, 8am-5pm M-F or 577-5000, after hours and weekends) How To Be Seen To request services call 545-2337, Monday through Friday between 8am and 5pm. You will speak with a senior clinician, who will help match you with the appropriate service based on your individual needs. A variety of services are available. When indicated, urgent and emergency appointments are immediately available. Urgent appointments are for people who have a high degree of urgency around the situation and are available on a 24-48 hour basis. 24-hour emergency mental health service is available every day of the year. Between 8am and 5pm, call 5452337 and ask to speak with an on-call clinician. After 5pm on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays, call 5775000 and ask to speak with the Mental Health Services on-call clinician, or come directly to UHS. Confidentiality

Clinical services are strictly confidential. No information is released without the written permission of the client, except in extreme, life threatening emergencies, or in limited legally mandated situations, such as child, elder or disabled person abuse. National Student Exchange Program 614 Goodell (Phone 5-5351) Spend a semester or a year at one of more than 100 participating colleges and universities across the country. Applicants must have a 2.5 UMass GPA average and be in good standing. All credits transfer as UMass residency credits. Applications are available between October and February at any of the scheduled information sessions. Native American Student Support Services 11 Bartlett Hall (Phone 7-0980) This program offers assistance and support to Native American students. For more information about services and the Native American Special Interest Residential Program, call directly. Office of Fraternities and Sororities 308 Student Union Building (Phone 5-2711) This office aids the members of Social Fraternities and Sororities here at UMass. If your residents are living in the residence halls and want to be on the meal plan in their fraternity or sorority, they would need to visit this office. In addition, the office helps fraternities and sororities plan events and activities. Office of Information Technology LGRC A109 (Phone 5-9400) This office provides services including academic computing, administrative computing and computer operations and support. Maintenance and repair support is available as well as the Help Desk Services available by phone or at Office of Jewish Affairs 208 Whitmore Administration Building (Phone 5-9642) The Office of Jewish Affairs provides institutional and individual advocacy, and a range of educational and coalitionbuilding activities, to foster a safe and healthy campus environment for Jewish and all other students. (Hillel and Chabad provide religious and cultural activities for Jewish students).

Ombuds Office 823 Campus Center (Phone 5-0867) This office is available to help resolve University-related conflicts impartially and without judging, rewarding, or punishing parties. Depending on the problem, Ombuds Office mediates disputes, facilitates communication, investigates claims of unfair treatment or erroneous procedure, listens, advises, and makes recommendations. The office also coordinates the hearing process for academic grievances. Parent Services (Phone 7-4444) The Office of Parent Services is dedicated to helping families with their transition to the university. Our office is here to answer questions, provide timely information and updates, and assist parents and guardians with questions or concerns.

Parking Services

Lot 25 Trailer Complex 51 Forestry Way (Phone 5-0065) Our goal is to provide safe, orderly, and fair parking for employees, students, and visitors to our campus. We strive to make parking on campus as convenient as possible, while promoting safe movement of vehicles, providing for pedestrian safety, and assuring free and continuous access to buildings and walkways for pedestrians and emergency vehicles. We offer services such as commuter parking, residential parking lot stickers and visitor passes. Peer Advisors Many programs have peer advisors including Commonwealth College, CCEBMS, etc. Contact any of the programs listed in this resource guide for more information on peer advisors. Pre-Major Advising Services 615 Goodell Hall (Phone 5-2191) In addition to serving as the academic dean’s office both for pre-majors within the College of Arts and Sciences and for undeclared students, PAS provides a wide range of other academic advising services. These include audits of general education and degree requirements; processing petitions for credit overloads, late add/drop etc.; a Majors fair; and referral to a wide range of campus resources. Advisors are also available to help undeclared students select the major which will best satisfy their personal, academic and professional goals. University of Massachusetts Police Department Dickinson Hall (Phone 5-2121) The University Police Department consists of more than fifty sworn officers who report through the Deputy Chief for Police Operations to the Chief of Police. These officers are given by state law the same police power, rights and responsibilities as any municipal or state police officer. Officers may be deployed in uniform or in plain clothes; in marked or unmarked vehicles; on foot; on bicycles; or on horseback depending on need. Regardless of how they are deployed, each officer has been trained in a full-time police academy and been through a rigorous University Field Training Program before being assigned to solo patrol. Beyond the usual police skills, officers of the University Police Department subscribe to the principles of Community Policing and attempt to form partnerships with people and collaborations with pre-existing and ad hoc groups to prevent and detect crime. The Police Department seeks out opportunities to work with students, faculty and staff. The Police Department is assisted by a cadre of civilian professional police dispatchers who operate the dispatch center. Rape Aggression Defense Program (RAD) UMPD Phone 5-3888 RAD is dedicated to teaching women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assaults, by utilizing easy, effective and proven self-defense tactics. This system of realistic defense will provide women with the knowledge to make an educated decision about resistance. Registrar’s Office 213 Whitmore Administration Building (Phone 5-0555) This office provides several types of services including the academic calendar; academic regulations; add/drop; class schedules; class year & degree date; credit by exam; degree audits; diplomas; enrollment verifications; final exam schedules; grades; graduation requirements (GenEds); academic major changes; off-campus addresses; part time status; senior billing; readmission; student schedules; transcripts (official and unofficial); transfer credit; and, withdrawal from courses. Residential Academic Programs (RAP) 502 JQA Tower (Phone 5-2803) RAPs are Living-Learning Communities specifically designed to help first-year students get the most out of the University’s General Education (GenEd) curricula and to help them make a smooth transition to UMass. RAP offers various services, including Faculty in Residence and tutoring. Stonewall Center

1st Floor Crampton House (Phone 5-4824) This resource center was founded in 1985 as the Program for Lesbian Gay and Bisexual concerns. In 1995, the name changed to The Stonewall Center in honor of the Stonewall Riots of the late 1960’s, which resulted in the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Civil Rights movement. Services that are offered by the Stonewall Center include a free lending library of books and videos, a GLBT speakers bureau, educational posters, and a variety of cultural programs. RAs receive free posters, brochures, and “GLBT Safe-Zone” stickers to share with their residents. Student Athlete Services 234 Boyden (Phone 5-4379) This office provides advising, assistance with course scheduling and tutoring for women and men’s collegiate athletic programs. Student Employment Office 243 Whitmore (Phone 5-1530) Whether you are looking for a job on or off campus, a work-study or non-work-study position, the undergraduate Student Employment Office (SEO) is the place to start. The SEO provides a listing service with a wide-variety of student jobs. We also work with students and employers to make sure they understand all regulations involving student employment and work-study and complete all necessary forms.

Student Legal Services 922 Campus Center (Phone 5-1995) The Student Legal Services Office (SLSO) is a student-funded law office which provides legal assistance to fee-paying UMass student groups. We offer advice and/or referral in various legal areas, including criminal law and traffic citations, housing, consumer law, university matters, civil rights, family law and other areas that students may be concerned with. The SLSO is open from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. United Asia Learning Resource Center B-1 Knowlton House (Phone 5-1844) The UALRC provides free tutorial service for first- and second-year students, as well as offering free tutorial services for those students in need of extra help. Students meet with their assigned tutors on a regular basis at the center. Staff members also have expertise in many academic fields and are available for informal tutorial sessions. The Center also provides general information on financial aid, such as student loans, work-study aid, scholarships and grants. University Health Services 150 Infirmary Way (Phone 7-5000) University Health Services provides comprehensive health care, which includes medical, eye care, mental health, surgical and orthopedic specialty services, obstetrics/gynecology, and health education services, to students, faculty, staff, and community members. UHS is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation for Healthcare Organizations. Physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other health professionals specialize in college health issues, as well as pediatrics and family medicine. Physical therapy, radiology and laboratory services are available on site. Most services are covered by the Student Health Fee, which is paid by all students taking five or more credits. How to be seen at UHS


Routine Care For all routine appointments, such as annual physicals, routine gynecological or contraception visits, well-baby check-ups, or follow-up visits, call the main appointment desk at 577-5101. Same Day or Next Day Care For an acute problem that needs care on the same day or the next day, call the Triage Advice Nurse, at 5775229, who will assist you in receiving appropriate care. Reasons to seek a same day or next day appointment might include an upper respiratory problem, an ear infection, a gynecological infection, a urinary tract infection, symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease, etc.



Urgent Care- open 24 hours 7 days a week For urgent situations, such as possible fractures, asthma attacks, severe abdominal pain, etc., come to the Urgent Care Clinic located on the first floor of UHS, to the right of the main entrance. It is always best to call the Triage Advice Nurse (577-5229) first, if at all possible, before coming to Urgent Care. Emergency Care If you feel you have a life-threatening situation, call an ambulance for direct transportation to a hospital emergency room. Dial 911 or your local ambulance if someone:


o o o o 

Has symptoms of a heart attack Is unconscious or having significant difficulty breathing Has a seizure Has a possible spinal or neck injury

For Further Assistance To help you determine the type of care you need, please call the Triage Advice Nurse at 577-5229 weekdays 8am-4:30pm and weekends 10:30am-7pm. You can also call UHS (577-5000) at any time (24 hours a day) for assistance. Hours may change during intersession and the summer. Health Education and Outreach We offer a lot of services for Resident Assistants including posters, pamphlets, condoms, bulletin board kits, and all kinds of educational programs/activities to help you do your job! Check out great Peer Health Education workshops like Bedspins, Sex Pictionary, Getting More than Lucky, or the ever-popular Not Ready for Bedtime Players. We will come to your floor or building with fun activities for your residents. We offer Quit Smoking Classes, Contraception Classes, Women’s Health, International Health, and a lot more. Come visit us on the third floor of UHS or call 577-5181.


W.E.B Dubois Library Phone 5-0150 The library offers many spaces to study as well as housing the Learning Commons, Procrastination Station Café, the Learning Resource Center, computer terminals, reference and resource materials, and instructional materials for English as a Second Language.

To top