Docstoc

visitor guide 2005 final

Document Sample
visitor guide 2005 final Powered By Docstoc
					About Railroad Gauge. -The U.S. Standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. This gauge was derived from England which took its gauge size from the pre-railroad tramways, which derived its wheel spacing from the early wagons whose wheel spacing evolved from the wheel ruts left on trails and roads in Europe. It was important to keep the same wheel spacing as the existing deep wheel ruts so as to not damage the vehicle. The ruts were created by Roman legions and their wagons and chariots which were made by Roman chariot makers. That width was decided on the basis of the width of two horses. Thus standard gauge railroads owe their size to Roman chariots. Maine 24 inch gauge was developed to lessen the cost of railroad construction and operation. Thus allowing for railroads to be built in areas where it would not be economically feasible to build a standard gauge line.

About the Locomotives. - The museum operates Henschel narrow gauge steam engines. These European locomotives span the years 1913-1938. They are fired with anthracite hard coal and operate with a boiler pressure of 100 pounds per square inch to 150psi. The engines were originally used on short lines or railyard and construction work. The engine configuration is 0-4-0, meaning no pilot wheels (leading wheels) and no trailing wheels, only four driving wheels. The water for the boiler is stored in the frame under the boiler and between the wheels. The locomotive’s serviceable weight is approximately 10 tons.

Boothbay Railway Village Pocket Tour
1. Freeport Station. 1911. - This station was built by the Maine Central Railroad, a standard gauge railroad. The station served passengers until 1961, the year it was decommissioned. Freeport Station was relocated to its present location and restored in 1964. It was the first public railroad museum in Maine. In the station lobby resides a large display of scale model steam engines along with two one inch scale live steam locomotives that sere built by Harold Smith of Livermore Falls, Maine. Also on exhibit is a variety of New England railroad memorabilia. 2. Center Monitor Caboose. 1910. - The caboose was the conductor’s home/office and the center of operations on the train. Railroad workmen riding long distances would sleep and eat in the caboose. It contains all the necessary comforts: ice box, water storage tank, sink & storage units round out the kitchen. Up above is the monitor, also known as a cupola. This was a lookout station for smoke from overheated journal boxes (wheelbearings) or other signs of trouble with the train or the track. 3. The 40 & 8 or Mercí Car. Circa 1880. - This French boxcar was presented by the people of France to the people of Maine in February, 1949. It could transport either 40 men or 8 horses. The structure on the back is a brakeman’s cupola. This boxcar and others like it were used to transport soldiers and horses to fighting fronts in World War I and soldiers or prisoners of war during World War II. It is referred to as the Mercí car because it was given by France as a symbol of gratitude to the United States. Forty-nine separate cars were each filled with various gifts. 4. Thorndike Station. Circa 1870. - Currently Under Restoration -This building was part of the Belfast and Moosehead Railroad and arrived here in the early 1960’s. It houses Maine railroad signs, furnishings and the Station Agent’s office. The Station Agent office accurately reflects the activities of that post. 5. The Village Green. - Site of special events such as Antique Auto Days, Model T Cranking Contests, Children’s Day games and entertainment and the annual Fall Foliage Craft Fair. Village greens or common areas were an important aspect of village life. Greens could provide grazing for animals or gardening areas for villagers. 6. The Boothbay Town Hall 1847. - This is Boothbay’s actual town hall. Town elections and Town meetings are still held here and it is used for public functions by various civic groups. Residents have voted for Presidents from Buchanan to Lincoln to present day in this hall. The balcony and stage were added in the early 1900’s. The building was relocated from Boothbay Center in 1990. Built in 1847 for $700 this is a classic example of post and beam construction with a vaulted plaster ceiling.

Thank you for visiting the museum, we hope that your time is entertaining and informative. Please contact any staff member for assistance if so needed.

7. Spruce Point Chapel. Circa 1923. - The Chapel was relocated from the Spruce Point area of Boothbay Harbor in 1995. This restored chapel was largely funded by a well-to-do summer resident to provide a place of worship for their staff and Sunday school for the local children. Today it is available for special occasions and church services. 8. Grover’s Hardware. - Named after a local family hardware store, it contains many of the tools and household goods sold in hardware stores at the turn of the century. Many of the artifacts were donated by Grover’s Hardware store in Boothbay Harbor. 9. Stover’s Salt & Pepper House. - This collection of shakers has over 600 sets including a vast variety of designs. Exhibits in this building will also include other curiosities such as wooden nickels, and other collectibles that are of interest. 10. Farm Equipment Shed . - Included in this exhibit are a 1930 Farmall F-12; 1927 Fordson tractor (powered by a Model-T type drive train); 1953 Oliver V-Plow tractor (donated and once used by the Town of Southport), 1950 Huber road-grader (donated by Boothbay Harbor) and other equipment. 11. Dingley’s Store. - A typical turn of the century general store. On exhibit are a variety of dry goods and tin containers of tea, crackers, and other wares. A peanut roaster and a coffee grinder are also on display. So named for Bob Dingley who donated several artifacts and assisted in the founding of this museum. 12. Boothbay Volunteer Fire Department. - This building includes the Minnehaha #1, a hand tub pumper from 1850; the 1925 Cosmopolitan Fire Truck, Southport’s first motorized fire truck; and the 1929 McCann Portland built Hook & Ladder Truck from Boothbay Harbor. The tower incorporated in the structure is for hanging canvas fire hoses to dry. 13. Carriage Display. - This exhibit includes carriages from mid to late 1800’s such as a Portland cutter, a Victorian, and a Mail coach. Also on display are various wagon accessories, horse treadmills to provide power on the farm and ice harvesting tools. 14. Barrel House. - A collection of necessary barrel making tools can be seen inside. Barrels were one of New England’s early exports. A versatile shipping and storage container created by soaking wood strips in water, drying them over a mold and pounding premolded metal rings down around the wood strips. 15. Octagonal Crossing Shanty. Circa 1908. - This unique structure was the gate tender’s quarters at Woodfords Crossing in Portland, Maine. Before automated crossing gates, crossings were staffed with people to hand operate the gates. 17. Section House. - Used to house equipment needed to maintain a section of a few miles of track . These structures served as important buildings to keep the trains running safely and on time.

18. South Gardiner Car House. - Currently under restoration -This building is another track maintenance building used to store small railcars often called motor cars or speeders. These vehicles were used by the track crew to inspect and maintain the track. 19. Canal Bank. Circa 1925. - Originally in Portland, Maine, so named because it once financed the construction of a canal. 20. Hotel/Z. P. Merry’s Barber Shop/Millinery Shop. - Z.P. Merry barbered in Boothbay Harbor and used all of the tools of the trade you see before you. Note the sign: ”No bobs done here”. The millinery shop is typical of those of the day with hats for every day of the week and for any occasion. Often symbols of status, they were adorned with feathers, lace, and ribbons. 21. Summit Post Office. - The Summit Post Office contains the mailboxes from what was once the working summer post office for Bayville, a small community located on the way to East Boothbay. Service was discontinued. 22. Diorama Collection or Miniature Mechanical Parables. - This collection is believed to have belonged to a traveling carnival in the 1920’s. Push the buttons for action. These very rare and unique exhibits depict parables and fables from familiar stories. 23. Thompkin’s Filling Station. - This building was an actual service station once in use in East Boothbay, Maine. It contains vintage auto parts and parts catalogs. During this era service stations were for servicing cars and trucks and rarely sold food, snacks or coffee. 24. Village Vehicle Display. - Comprised of over 55 vehicles, this exhibit contains beautifully restored or original cars, trucks, motorcycles, steam cars, wagons, bicycles, etc. from 1885 to 1962. From Model T Fords to the 1929 Packard Limousine, to the 1957 Thunderbird, this display spans the era of vehicles during the time of steam trains. Vehicles are beautifully displayed with informative signs relating their history. 25. Summit Station/Coal Bin/Water Tower/Crossing Tower. - Summit Station contains Canadian railroad artifacts. Canadian railroads serviced many areas in Maine. The Coal Bin, the engineer will stop from time to time to replenish the engines coal supply. The Water Tower provides water for the locomotive’s storage tank. During operation water is forced into the boiler to provide for steam generation. The Crossing Tower, used to monitor the operation of trains in a train yard. The height provided a superb view. 26. Maine Narrow Gauge Photo Display. - This exhibit contains the story through words, photographs and artifacts of the unique history of Maine and the two foot railroads. By walking through the display and reading the photo captions, one can get a better idea of narrow gauge rail history. Included are rare artifacts from the many Maine two foot rail lines.

27. Antique Engine Display. - Featuring the “Otto” and other early twentieth century internal and external combustion engines. The large 5 ton engine was developed in the late 1800’s. The museum occasionally operates this engine at special events. Other sources of mechanical power include stationary steam engines, a Sterling cycle hot air engine and a variety of single cylinder stationary and marine gasoline engines. 28. One Room Schoolhouse. - This schoolhouse is a replica of the original, made famous by the children’s nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” which is now on the grounds of the Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Massachusetts. The desks and school supplies are turn of the century. Desks were bolted to the floor and citizenship and conduct were emphasized. 29. Village Toy Shop. - This shop contains early toys from simple board games to dolls, to a variety of transportation related toys. 30. Harrington Homestead & Livery Stable. - This important exhibit recreates the interior of an early 1900’s house, complete with kitchen appliances such as a monitor top 1929 refrigerator, a thermostatically controlled iron and a hot water storage tank. In addition, throughout the house are period pieces of furniture, fixtures and personal items to impart the nature of rural life in the 1900’s. 31. Model Railroad Exhibit. - In the process of being developed, this initial display of model railroading is being designed and operated by museum volunteers. Once completed it will be one of the most extensive and comprehensive model railroad exhibits of the era from 1850 through 1950. Currently open on an occasional basis. 32. Train Shed. - On static display are historic rolling stock from Maine narrow gauge railroads. Included are: 1895 Baldwin locomotive, ca. 1900, Wiscasset & Quebec boxcar, two Sandy River and Rangely Lakes boxcars, ca. 1910, and an 1884 Laconia Combination Coach capable of carrying both baggage and passengers.

MISSION STATEMENT The Boothbay Railway Village is an educational, historical and cultural museum whose mission is to collect, preserve and demonstrate railroading, antique automobiles and small town rural life with an emphasis on Maine between 1850 and 1950. Its continuing mission will be to develop and promote educational programs and services. www.railwayvillage.org


				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:14
posted:12/19/2009
language:English
pages:2