Retail Sale of Animal Feeds
What You Need to Know
This Advice covers:
• The labelling of any type of compound or manufactured animal feed which is on sale
• Loose from bins or other retail displays in sale quantities of less than 50kg.,
• Packaged by the retailer in small amounts by breaking bulk or,
• The advice does not cover the manufacture of animal foods.
What Labelling is required?
• The animal feed must be accompanied by a 'statutory statement' which contains
information such as:
• The name and address of the person who guarantees the statement is accurate
(normally the manufacturer).
• The name and description of the feed, clearly indicating it is a mixture of ingredients,
together with a list of those ingredients.
• The type of animal it is intended for.
• The amount of protein, oil, fibre and ash which is present.
• Direction for use.
• The presence of any antioxidants, colours or preservatives.
• The presence of certain minerals.
• The amont of certain vitamins and the date up to which they remain present.
• Minimum storage life.
• The labelling required is different for different animals.
The above list is a summary of the requirements - for full information consult your local
Trading Standards Office.
Where do I find that 'Statutory Statement'?
• Your supplier will give it either on the package or in an accompanying letter.
How do I pass the 'Statutory Statement' on to my customers?
• When selling animal feed products you must display the statutory statement, or a
copy of it, as closely as possible to the material it relates to. It must be clearly
associated with the feed. The information delivered with the product by the
manufacturer or wholesaler could be used for this purpose.
• When selling prepacks, these should already have been labelled by the manufacturer
and so you need do nothing.
What other problems are there?
• Some products will be subject to weight marking requirements.
• You must ensure that the correct minimum storage life is provided.
This advice is designed to provide basic guidance to Traders. It is not a complete
authoritative statement of the law.
For further assistance on this or any other Trading Standards legislation,please contact your
We will be pleased to offer this information in larger print or translated into any language
Trading Standards Office
Tel: 01962 833620
B/ani/006/002 January 2001