Dr. Pushkar Kaul Syllabus Organic Chemistry I
TEXT: Organic Chemistry by S. McMurry, 6th Edition.
1. A brief survey of chemical bonding, molecular orbital theory, hybridization, Sp3,
Sp2, Sp orbitals structure of ethane, ethene, ethyne.
2. Writing and drawing chemical structures, molecular models, formal charges, etc,
3. Alkanes, cycloalkanes, cist-trans isomerism in cycloalkanes, stereochemistry of
alkanes and cycloalkanes
4. Alkenes, structure and reactivity cis-trans isomerism, mechanism of various
reactions of alkenes, preparation and synthetic applications
5. Alkynes, structure, preparation, mechanism of reactions and synthetic utility
Chirality enantiomers, diastereomers, optical activity, racemic mixture, meso,
R, s configuration, Fischer projection. Addition of Br2 and HBr to alkenes,
stereochemistry and chirality in substituted cyclohexanes
7. Alkylhalides preparation, radical halogenation, allylic bromination of alkenes,
Grignard reagents, organometallic coupling reactions
8. Reactions of alkyl halides, a detailed discussion of Sn1, SN2, E1 and E2 reactions.
9. Mass spectroscopy and IR spectroscopy.