I. Title: ASSISSTANT DIRECTOR OF ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS
Division: SD Department: Athletics and Recreation
Location: Costello Sports Complex
Schedule: 12 months/Flexible
Reports to: Asst. Athletic Director for Athletic Media Relations and Compliance
Supervises: Work-study students, Assigned members of the professional staff
Coordinates with: Sports Information Director; Director of University Relations;
Director of Athletics; Athletics Staff Members; Student Athletes
II. Statement of the job:
The Assistant Director of Athletic Media Relations will assist the Asst. Athletic Director for
Athletic Media Relations and Compliance in all facets of the intercollegiate athletics
communications operation. He/she will inform the external public and campus communities of
newsworthy matters concerning intercollegiate sports programs at the University. This will be
accomplished by working through the media, including print, television, radio, website and
other campus publications and outlets.
III. Essential Functions:
1. Assist the Sports Information Director in the publicity and promotion efforts of the
University’s 23 NCAA Division III intercollegiate programs.Serves as the primary media
contact for 16 of the University’s 23 NCAA Division III intercollegiate teams (FALL:
men’s cross country, women’s cross country, field hockey, volleyball, golf and women’s
tennis; WINTER: men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s indoor track and field,
women’s indoor track and field and wrestling; SPRING: baseball, softball, women’s
outdoor track and field, men’s outdoor track and field and men’s tennis.
2. Research and write news releases on USM intercollegiate sports teams and individual
student-athletes as warranted or assigned.
3. Research and write historical releases on USM athletic department administrators/coaches
(current and retired) athletes as warranted or assigned.
4. Arrange and coordinate news conferences, interviews, and on-the-spot coverage of USM
sports events for newspapers, radio and television.
5. Work with student-athletes to educate them on proper interaction with members of the
6. Arrange and coordinate feature stories and provide information to members of the media for
USM stories that the media initiate.
7. Maintain a file of sports statistics and other related information for use by the media.
8. Direct the on-site support services for the news media at home events and special occasions.
9. Direct the on-site support services for USM internet broadcasting, public address
announcing, scoreboards, etc.
10. Maintain regular, consistent contact with appropriate local and external sports media.
11. Assist the Asst. Athletic Director for Athletic Media Relations and Compliance, Director of
Athletics and or the Director of Media Relations for any special tournaments or other events
sponsored by the USM athletic department.
12. Soley responsible: Prepare copy for and coordinate the production of any special athletic
department publications including, but not limited to, sports media guides/yearbooks,
athletic department recruitment brochures, game programs and athletic department
newsletters. Promotional materials, marketing materials, develop advertisement materials,
Hall of Fame; Ring Ceremony, Costello Event, Senior Honors Night, William B. Wise.
Assist with the production of SAAC materials, camp brochures. This includes the design
and layout of graphics, copy and photographic materials.
13. Assist the Assistant Athletic Director for Athletic Media Relations and Compliance in
maintaining the Athletic Department website. Assist Asst. Athletic Director in the design of
special website materials for intercollegiate sports programs, SAAC, facilities, camps and
14. Provide supervision for work-study students involved with a variety of tasks, including but
not limited to, on-site compilation of game statistics and analysis, historical research,
communication to the media, event coverage and various office duties and related tasks.
15. Compile and file in a timely manner all conference (LEC, ECAC, NCAA) weekly reports.
16. Submit various state-wide, regional and national ballots for student-athlete awards: CoSIDA
Academic All-America, WBCA, MWBCA, MMBCA, NFHCA, NFCA, etc.
17. Other duties as assigned by 1. Assistant Athletic Director for Athletic Media Relations and
Compliance, 2. Director of Athletics, or 3.Director of Media Relations.
18. Coordinate department photography through the use of a hired photographer. Catalogue
materials for use on web and print materials as well as the dissemination to the media.
19. Assist with the function of department events (Honors Night, Hall of Fame Induction,
special recognition events).
IV. Marginal Functions:
1. He/she will travel with teams when the nature of the away contest/tournament demands on-
site support and hands-on work.
2. Maintain a file of news releases, annual reports and department publications.
3. Perform sports related photography on an as-needed basis in the absence of other
4. Assist in the development of marketing/fundraising items such as solicitation materials and
presentations, advertisement development (ice rink, etc.), web-site materials,
V. Supervisory Responsibilities:
VI. Budget Responsibilities:
No formal budget responsibilities.
VII. Public and Professional Activities:
1. Represent the department and University at state, regional and national conferences.
2. Hold active membership and participate when appropriate in activities and workshops
sponsored by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA), the Eastern
College Athletic Conference Sports Information Directors Association (ECAC-SIDA), and
the Little East Conference as well as maintain professional contact with other related
VIII. Internal/External Contacts:
Internal: USM Media and Community Relations; Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
External: NCAA; ECAC; Little East Conference; CoSIDA; Other pertinent organizations
IX. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
2. Ability to communicate effectively with administrators, coaches and student-athletes.
3. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
4. Ability to package and communicate information to meet the needs of the media.
5. Working knowledge of a broad range of sports activities.
6. Possess an attitude that fosters a respectful, non-threatening workplace environment.
Required: Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, public relations, sports
administration or related field. Minimum two years experience in collegiate sports information
setting (preferrably NCAA Division I, II, or III). Proven track record in written and oral
communications, including experience in sports media relations writing. Ability to accept a
flexible work schedule that includes nights and weekends, and to work effectively with a
variety of individuals and organizations. Knowledge of Apple Macintosh and PC computers
and related software, including but not limited to, Microsoft Word and Excel, desktop
publishing software, statistics software by StatCrew/The Automated Scorebook, and website
design and maintenance.
Preferred: Minimum three-five years of experience in college sports information/athletic public
relations setting, including one year full-time experience or internship. Proven sports
photography skills. (Currently for the position to be filled in the capacity it is now with its
additional responsibilities, etc., minimum should be five years experience)
For Office Use Only
Approved Date: 5/30/08
Job Family: 17
Salary Band: 102
Job #: 7598
Employee: Christina Cracolici
Position #: 00015430