SCHOOL DISTRICT OF MARION COUNTY
LEVEL/POSITION: SPEECH THERAPIST 3.40
AREA(S): STUDENT SERVICES
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS OF WORK:
A person assigned to this position provides each communicative handicapped student with
appropriate diagnostic, preventive, remedial and consultive service to encourage further
development in his/her educational setting. This position is under the supervision of the
Coordinator of Exceptional Student Education.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
NOTE: These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed in
a position allocated to this class. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude
them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
May provide services to eligible students in the following areas:
• Diagnostic services as required at each school beyond the initial screening process
or as a result of referral.
• Preventive services include speech conservation programs at the kindergarten
• Remedial services or an itinerant basis. Most students are seen twice a week for
therapy programs may include:
(1) Articulation for the student who has non-maturational articulation
(2) Language - to improve receptive and expressive problems of
processing and disorders of syntax, semantics, morphology and
(3) Fluency- to encourage student to use a more appropriate rate or flow
(4) Voice - to encourage proper non-detrimental use of voice.
• Consultative services are an integral part of the speech and language impaired
program. Meeting with health related agencies, guidance counselors, elementary
learning specialists, social workers, psychologists, hearing therapists and faculty are
held for an exchange of ideas, roles and description.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Provide the communicative handicapped student with appropriate diagnostic, preventive, remedial
and consultative services in the system.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in speech correction.
Must meet the requirements set forth in Section 6A-4.17(5) of the State Board of Education Rules.
Must have clinical practice as specified in Section 6A-4.06(2) (b) 2.C. May be expected to meet
the practical experience in teaching requirements for speech correction.
Instructional Salary Schedule
Board Approved: 12/83
~An Equal Opportunity School District~