Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Las Vegas Marriage Law

VIEWS: 2,206 PAGES: 2

									                            Las Vegas Marriage Law
Marriage license Laws in the state of Nevada, here is what you need to bring with you,
and what you need to know about the Nevada marriage laws before filling out the Nevada
marriage license form.
In order to get married, you need to apply and receive a marriage license. This is the
document in your state that allows you to officially tie the knot under the law. The rules
for acquiring your marriage license varies from state to state, so you should check with
your city's marriage bureau at your clerk of court's office to find out what your local rules
You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your
wedding ceremony. You'll traditionally need to send in your birth certificates, tax
information, and other official documents. You don't, however, want to apply for your
marriage license too early. In some states, the licenses do expire, if you don't get married
within a few months.
When you apply for your license, you'll not only need a proof of identification and age,
will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a
nominal fee. You will also need to have a witness when you sign the application, so plan
on bringing your maid of honor or best man with you. The bride will need to know what
her married name will be before she signs the marriage certificate. You'll have to write
that name on the application.
And, believe it or not, just because you have your marriage license sent to you in the mail
does not mean you are officially married. You need to have a justice of the peace or a
religious clergyman sign the document. On your wedding day, you'll give your chaplain
your marriage license, then after the ceremony, he'll sign it and send it to the proper
government agency for validation.
If you want a fast and easy marriage, Las Vegas is the spot!
<FONT=" sans-serif? Helvetica, Arial,Order Vital Records Online!
ID Requirement Valid picture identification.
Acceptable identification includes:
• Valid Driver's License
• Valid Identification Card from DMV
• Valid Passport
• Valid Military ID
• Resident Alien card
• Certified or original Birth Certificate.
• If a foreign birth certificate, it must be translated into English and notarized.
• You need to know your social security number, too!
Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Nevada.
If Divorced: Your divorce must be final. You need to know the date (month, year) of
your divorce, and the location (city and state) where you were divorced.
Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time
of applying.
Waiting Period: No waiting period.
Fees: $35.00 - $42.00 (depends on County) - Cash Only.
Blood Tests: No blood test requirement.
Under 18: If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must have one parent or legal guardian
present. A notarized written permission is also acceptable. It must be written in English
and needs to state the name, birth date, age of the minor child, along with the relationship
of the person giving consent. The notary must note that the parent or guardian personally
appeared before or was subscribed and sworn to. If you are under 16, marriage can be
authorized only by court order when the request has been filed by either parent or legal
Proxy Marriages: No. Both parties must be present.
Cousin Marriages: Not nearer of kin than second cousins or cousins of half blood.
Miscellaneous: Requirements for U.S. citizens and Non U.S. citizens are the same.
Officiants: Any ordained minister in good standing with his denomination, whose
denomination is incorporated or organized or established in the State of Nevada may
perform marriages. Ministers are required to complete a complicated procedure to obtain
a certificate of permissions to perform marriages
<>. Among other requirements,
the applicant's ministry must be primarily one of service to his congregation or
denomination and his performance of marriages must be incidental to such service.
Valid: License is valid for 1 year.
The license can only be used within the State of Nevada.
Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above
information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or
county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

To notify us of corrections or additions send an email to
<>. Please include the
state and county information.

To top