Research Design Proposal
Suzanne Mackenzie 200401255
Courtney Cavanaugh 200404049
John Cullen 200306061
Andrew Pidcock 200406046
at Tim Hortons
How the Variables will be
The three independent variables that will be
measured are age, gender, and time of day.
There are three categories for time of day;
Morning being 7am - 10 am, Lunch being
11am – 2pm, and Supper being 4pm - 7pm.
The dependant variable is whether the
customer tips or not.
Our expectation is that
males will be more opt
to tip females, that
these males will be
middle aged and that
the time of day is
Quantity of Observations
Our study will observe 120 situations.
Observations will be made in each time
category for 5 days. These days will be from
Monday to Friday.
Rules of Observation
1. Student researchers will work in pairs. One student will be the
leader, and the second will be the checker.
2. Observations will be made at the Tim Horton’s on James Street,
3. The researcher who is taking the role of the leader will nod
indicating that he or she is ready to observe the next subject. The
researcher who is the checker will indicate if they agree or disagree.
Once both the leader and checker have agreed on a subject,
observations will be made.
4. Data will be collected when :
a. customer is purchasing a single order
b. customer must appear to not be purchasing for someone else
5. Tipping involves the customer leaving change on the counter, or
giving the tip directly to the server.
6. Repeat until researches have accumulated 20 cases
Gender mix Age category of tipper Time of day
Id# yes no M/M M/F F/F F/M 1 2 3 1 2 3