This document sets forth a company’s policy and guidelines for the safe use and storing
of removable media, such as CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, external hard drives, or
other removable media devices. This sample policy lists accepted uses of removable
media devices and further outlines unacceptable uses of the company’s removable
media devices. It further outlines the remedial action that may be taken by the company
in the event of unauthorized uses. This document can be customized to fit the needs of
REMOVABLE MEDIA ACCEPTED USE POLICY
THIS REMOVEABLE MEDIA ACCEPTED USE POLICY (hereinafter the
“Policy”) shall apply to all employees of __________________ [YOUR COMPANY’S NAME]
(hereinafter the “Company”) who use the Company’s network. This Policy will provide the
minimum standards for acceptable use of removable media from the Company’s premises.
In relation to this Policy, removable media shall include, but not be limited to, optical
discs, Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, memory cards, compact flash cards, digital cards, memory
sticks, floppy disks, zip disks, magnetic tapes, paper data storage, punched cards, punched tapes,
USB flash drives, or external hard disk drives.
ACCEPTED USES OF REMOVABLE MEDIA
The Company wishes to prevent damage to all removable media devices of the Company
as well as prevent the compromise or loss of Company data. The Company hereby imposes the
following mandatory restrictions on the use of all of the Company’s removable media devices:
1. Removable media devices owned or leased by the Company shall be the only removable
media used by the employees of the Company while such employees are on the Company’s
premises. No employee of the Company shall be permitted at any time to use any unauthorized
removable media within the Company’s systems.
2. All removable media devices used by employees on any personal computers shall first be
approved by the appropriate employees or agents of the Company or unless authorized by the
Company’s technical support department.
3. The Company’s removable media devices shall only be used by authorized employees or
agents of the Company to transport or store Company data when such other secure means are not
available to do so.
4. Authorized persons shall only use removable media devices for the purposes of storing or
transporting Company’s data for work-related functions.
5. The Company’s removable media devices shall be protected by the authorized users of
such removable media devices and shall be treated the same as the Company’s sensitive material.
6. Removable media devices will be stored in a safe and secure manner at all times and all
authorized users of the Company’s removable media devices shall take all necessary precautions
to secure the removable media devices in their possession.
7. All authorized users of the Company’s removable media devices shall use care and
caution when transferring data outside of the Company’s network and shall take all necessary
steps to prevent malicious software from infecting the removable media devices.
8. Should any of the Company’s removable media devices be lost, stolen or, damaged, the
authorized user of such removable media devices shall report such loss, theft, or damage to the
Company’s technical support department immediately.
9. Should any removable media no longer be required, the Company’s technical support
department shall destroy such removable media device or devices in a secured manner.
UNACCEPTABLE USES OF REMOVABLE MEDIA
The following are unacceptable uses of the Company’s removable media devices:
1. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall violate the privacy
of any other person or persons and their data. No user shall obtain any copies or modify the files
or passwords belonging to another user, unless such permission to do so is granted.
2. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall violate any other
party’s copyright or licensing laws which relate to any programs or data.
3. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall download any
software that is or may be in violation of any license agreements.
4. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall develop any
program for the purposes of harassing any other users or infiltrating a computer or computer
system that will damage or alter the software of a computer or computer system.
5. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall use such devices for
any purpose or purposes which does not relate to the operation or business of the Company.
6. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall use such devices for
any means that are inconsistent with applicable laws, rules, or regulations or for any means
which may violate accepted community standards.
7. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall use such devices for
the purpose or purposes of transmitted or receiving harassing or obscene information.
8. No authorized user of the Company’s removable media devices shall use such devices for
any malicious or disruptive manner such as the destruction of the Company’s stored data or the
physical destruction of the actual removable media device.
© Docstoc®, Inc. 2011 – All Rights Reserved
REMEDIAL ACTION BY THE COMPANY
Monitoring of the Company’s removable media devices (shall/shall not) [CHOOSE
ONE] occur. In the event that any removable media device or device