Human Resource Management (MGTPT275)
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or
answers the question.
1) Developing others, teamwork and cooperation or customer service orientation 1) _______
are examples of which appraisal criteria?
A) traits B) competencies
C) goal achievement D) behaviors
2) With which performance appraisal method do evaluators record their 2) _______
judgments about performance on a scale?
A) weighted checklists B) BARS
C) rating scales D) essay
3) Which performance appraisal system is closely related to the 3) _______
management by objective system?
A) rating scales B) result-based system
C) BARS D) forced distribution
4) In which performance appraisal method are people all around the rated 4) _______
employee providing ratings including senior managers, the employee
himself or herself, supervisors, subordinates, peers, team members, and
internal or external customers?
B) rating scales
C) critical incidents
D) 360-degree feedback evaluation
5) One study revealed that over ________ percent of responding managers 5) _______
believe that inflated and lowered ratings are intentionally given to
A) 70 B) 30 C) 20 D) 40
6) What is the biggest risk with 360-degree feedback evaluation method? 6) _______
A) individual development B) effectiveness
C) cost D) confidentiality
7) Employees are evaluated according to defined factors in which 7) _______
performance appraisal method?
A) BARS B) weighted checklists
C) essay D) rating scales
8) If a firm wants to emphasize the future, including the behaviors and 8) _______
outcomes needed to develop the employee, and, in the process, achieve
the firm's goals what performance criteria should be used?
A) goal achievement B) improvement potential
C) traits D) competencies
9) What performance appraisal system was being discussed when it was 9) _______
said that it fosters cutthroat competition, paranoia and general ill well
and destroys employee loyalty?
A) forced distribution B) rating scales
C) BARS D) forced choice
10) Who is often responsible for coordinating the design and 10) ______
implementation of performance appraisal programs?
A) the process is outsourced
B) shared service center manager
C) line manager
D) human resource department
11) The actions of young children several weeks before Christmas are 11) ______
reminiscent of which evaluation error?
A) halo error B) leniency
C) central tendency error D) recent behavior bias
12) When should the appraisal interview be held? 12) ______
A) on an unscheduled basis
B) at the convenience of the human resource manager
C) at the end of the appraisal period
D) after regular work hours
13) Rating scale factors are typically of two types: job related and 13) ______
A) performance. B) personal.
C) organizational. D) departmental.
14) What should the supervisor do if the employee refuses to sign the 14) ______
performance appraisal form?
A) sign the form for him or her
B) document this behavior
C) take disciplinary action
D) force the worker to sign the form
15) In GE's forced distribution system, what percent are forced into the top, 15) ______
middle and poorest groups?
A) 40, 50, 10 B) 20, 50, 30 C) 30, 60, 10 D) 20, 70, 10
16) What might result if an employee continually receives unsatisfactory 16) ______
ratings in safety practices, for example, is kept on the payroll and he or
she causes injury to a third party?
A) negligent hiring B) negligent training
C) negligent retention D) negligent supervision
17) Who has traditionally been the most common choice for evaluating 17) ______
A) peer group B) subordinate
C) top management D) immediate supervisor
18) Employee lawsuits typically result from what type evaluations? 18) ______
A) practical B) confidential
C) negative D) unscheduled
19) Standardization of the appraisal process necessitates the use of the same 19) ______
evaluation ________ for employees in the same job category.
A) instrument B) interview period
C) feedback D) appraisal data
20) In which performance appraisal method, are various performance levels 20) ______
shown along a scale with each described in terms of an employee's
specific job behavior?
A) rating scales B) forced distribution
C) BARS D) forced choice
21) In what way are performance appraisal data used in training and 21) ______
A) to indicate transfer opportunities
B) to point out employee potential
C) to suggest pay increases
D) to point out an employee's specific needs for training and
22) If the appraised employee is technically more knowledgeable than the 22) ______
boss, how might this disadvantage be overcome?
A) let the subordinate determine the performance appraisal criteria
B) train the supervisor
C) change the supervisor
D) let subordinate suggest ways to fairly evaluate their performance
and then use their suggestions as part of the appraisal criteria
23) Which of the following are common appraisal criteria? 23) ______
A) behaviors B) traits
C) task outcomes D) all of the above
24) In the interest of consistency, what is probably the most desirable rating 24) ______
period to use?
A) six month interval B) calendar basis
C) hiring in date D) date employed
25) Which performance appraisal method compares each employee's 25) ______
performance to a predetermined standard or expected level of output?
A) essay B) BARS
C) critical incident D) work standards
26) Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of individuals with high 26) ______
A) possessing an endearing relations with family
B) not being afraid to make tough decisions
C) ability to cope successfully and proactively with life's demands
D) build and make use of rewarding relationships with others
27) How are performance appraisal data used in the selection process? 27) ______
A) to indicate promotional opportunities
B) predicting the performance of job applicants
C) to develop planning strategies
D) to suggest salary increases
28) Which performance appraisal method seems to be the most vulnerable 28) ______
target for criticism?
A) rating scales B) BARS
C) forced distribution D) results-based
29) Using factors such as attitude, loyalty, and personality provides an 29) ______
example of what potential performance appraisal problems?
A) bias B) leniency/strictness
C) central tendency error D) lack of objectivity
30) As many as 90 percent of Fortune 500 companies use some form of 30) ______
________ for either employee evaluation or development.
A) rating scales
C) 360-degree feedback evaluation