I.E. 1056 / I.E. 2083 PRODUCTION AND INVENTORY CONTROL (Fall Term 2001-2002) INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Jayant Rajgopal (1039 BEH; 624-9840; firstname.lastname@example.org) HOME PAGE: http://www.pitt.edu/~jrclass/prod/ie1056.html - all lecture materials, course-related announcements, homework assignments, solutions, etc. will be posted and updated regularly on this home page. OFFICE HOURS: 2:00-3:00 P.M. (M, T, W, H) or by prior appointment. Walk-in's always welcome! TEXTBOOK: Production and Operations Analysis, by Steven Nahmias, Irwin, Homewood, Illinois, (3rd Edition). An extensive set of notes/handouts/overheads for the course have been developed and will be made accessible (as Adobe Acrobat files in pdf format) from the web-site for the class. Please print out these notes and bring them with you to every single class session. REFERENCES: Production: Planning, Control, and Integration, by Daniel Sipper and Robert Bulfin, McGraw Hill, New York, NY (1997) Decision Systems for Inventory Management and Production Control by Edward A. Silver, David F. Pyke and Rein Peterson, John Wiley, New York (3rd Edition). Operations Management: Production of Goods and Services, by John O. McClain and L. Joseph Thomas; Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood-Cliffs, N.J. (3rd Edition). COURSE OUTLINE: This is an introductory survey course in the area of production and inventory control systems, with an emphasis on short to intermediate term decision making, and quantitative/analytical techniques. Topics to be covered include a general introduction to operations management & analysis; forecasting models; aggregate production planning; various types of inventory control models -- deterministic, stochastic, static, dynamic etc.; production scheduling; multistage manufacturing systems; MRP-II; Just-In-Time and Japanese production philosophies. Some topics may be deleted and other added depending on time constraints. NOTE: There’s really no single book that covers all the topics mentioned above to my satisfaction. Students are therefore expected to attend lectures and make use of class notes, and to also supplement the recommended text with readings from other books such as the references listed above. GRADING: Final grades will be based upon three examinations that will count for 75% of the final grade, and homework, project assignments and class participation, which will count for the remaining 25%. I take academic honesty very seriously - while I encourage you to study and collaborate with your friends on homework or other assignments, all work that you turn in must be your own. LATE ASSIGNMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Pages to are hidden for
"I.E. 1056 I.E. 2083 PRODUCTION AND INVENTORY CONTROL"Please download to view full document