Minutes of the SCURL Business Committee Meeting held at 11 Minutes by sdaferv

VIEWS: 8 PAGES: 5

More Info
									Minutes of the SCURL Business Committee Meeting held at 11.00 on Friday 1 February 2008 in the George IV Bridge building of the National Library of Scotland

Present: Ms H Durndell (Glasgow University Library: Chair of the Business Committee), Mrs S Cannell (Edinburgh University Library: Chair of SCURL), Miss J Evans (SCURL Service Development Manager), Ms G Anderson (University of Highlands & Islands Library), Ms E Fulton (SLIC), Mr C Pinder (Napier University Library), Mrs W Pirie (Aberdeen University Library), Mr J Purcell (St Andrews University Library), Mr C Taylor (National Library of Scotland: Minute Secretary).

1. Welcome Helen Durndell welcomed the BC to the National Library of Scotland.

2. Apologies J Howden, G Hunt, M Wade.

3. Minutes of the previous meeting held in the National Library of Scotland on 27 November 2007 The minutes were approved as accurate.

4. Matters arising Rare book librarianship training – The Rare Books in Scotland Group were hoping to make a secondment to work on the proposed training module. The Health Group had postponed its training day on 14 February 2008 (Identifying evidence for systematic review) but was going ahead with 7 March 2008 (Empowerment training) as scheduled. COSMIC – Elaine Fulton confirmed that the replacement group for COSMIC, Digital Access Scotland, will be launched at Electric Connections on 11 March by the Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture, Linda Fabbiani. The DAS Strategic Group was already active in anticipation of the official launch. Electric Connections will be held at the Scottish Storytelling Centre in Edinburgh. It will be entitled Collaborating on content (widening access) and is free of charge. Bookings are being taken through the SLAINTE website. Funding of SDM post – Funding of the SDM post for another three years until July 2011 had been confirmed by both SLIC and NLS. A memorandum of understanding would be drawn up between NLS and SCURL regarding NLS support of SCURL. SCURL was now an independent body following

1

the agreement of the SCURL Constitution. Sheila and Gordon would meet shortly to discuss the memorandum. 5. Service Development Manager’s report The SCABS invitation to tender had been due to be issued in January 2008. Sheila would write to thank George Sked for his help and advice. The complications arising from both the SCABS and SNIPES tenders were discussed. It was agreed that due to the workload of managing the SNIPES tender, SCABS would be authorised by the BC to postpone the SCABS tender for one year. Existing contracts would then be renewed for one more year. SNIPES and SCABS generally involved the same individual members of staff. The BC were particularly grateful to Jeremy Upton and Colin Galloway for their diplomacy and leadership. The Special Needs Group’s Chair, Pam Clouston, was stepping down in June. The group had several other vacancies. Directors will be asked to encourage their staff to participate as the group plays an important role.

6. SCURL financial statement The current balance is £3575.71. Jill would ask Counter to send more information about the benefits of membership.

7. Process of establishing Sub-groups of SCURL Jill had written a paper which had been circulated. The paper considered nominations, membership, duration, disbandment, funding, reporting and responsibilities. It was clarified that subgroups / sub-committees were strategic groups at director level. Their work should be led by the BC and thus the chair of a sub-group should be a member of the BC. This should be the case with the chairs of CASS and SHEDL. Working groups were operational groups / special interest groups and thus do not necessarily require representation at the BC. The BC will of course closely monitor their work. The chairs of SCABS and SNIPES would be asked to attend the next BC. Jill would amend the paper in time for it to be tabled at the next plenary meeting.

8. SFC/ JISC / SCURL liaison Sheila and Helen would meet the new representative from SFC. A brainstorming session would be arranged for the next BC.

9. CASS and UKRR John Fielden’s UKRR draft report was discussed. Helen had responded on behalf of SCURL. Helen had attended the UKRR Board meeting in London the previous day. She explained that UKRR would be funded by a (now more reasonable) subscription model and that BL DocDel service charges would also be moving to a subscription model from the current transaction-based model. De-duplication funding would be offered as part of the UKRR package. There was a lengthy discussion of the need to maintain a Scottish copy. Elaine felt particularly strongly that the Scottish copy

2

should be maintained and the political context necessitated that. It was agreed to invite UKRR to the next plenary as part of a hot topic discussion.

10. SLIC Board Sheila reported that there had been useful discussions of IRIScotland, SHEDL, CASS and SDLC. Bids would soon be invited for the SLIC Innovation & Development Fund.

11. SHEDL The next Steering Group meeting will be held on 15 February. Peter Kemp was continuing to work on possible funding models and was attempting to resolve possible issues for members. The BC was very grateful to Peter for his work.

12. SDLC SCURL had agreed to take SDLC forward as a SCURL project at the recent plenary at QMU. At the next SDLC meeting, Sheila would propose setting up a group involving a mix of SDLC and SCURL representatives. Sheila envisaged that there would be six members including Clare Whittaker, Sheila and Jill. The group would have a remit of looking at how to move from current SDLC arrangements into the new SCURL-SDLC environment. It would address strategic, governance, contractual and financial issues. The work is expected to take six months. 13. SCURL vision Jill would collate feedback and circulate a paper to the BC, then the next plenary.

14. SCURL plenary on 15 April at Glasgow Caledonian University Federated Access and UKRR would be the hot topics at the next plenary. Jill would invite directors to bring three non-director staff. It was agreed to move the Away Day to 24 June. Jill would e-mail the SCURL list about possible venues, particularly whether the UHI campus on Skye would be acceptable. It was proposed to take the SCURL study day to Amsterdam. Jon and Jill will investigate.

15. Any other business A SCURL chartership event would be held on 27 February at the National Library of Scotland Causewayside building. Jill was sending out details to the SCURL list. Directors were encouraged to send their colleagues working towards CILIP chartered status. Gillian Anderson spoke to a report that she had prepared on Federated Access Management following the JISC Content Alliance Home Nations Forum held in

3

Edinburgh. Nicole Harris had responded to a number of Gillian’s questions. It was agreed that Jill should invite Nicole Harris to the next plenary in April. Tony Kidd was responding to the HEFCE bibliometrics survey on behalf of SCONUL / UKRL (CURL).

16. Date of next meeting 19 March at 14.00 in the National Library of Scotland Causewayside building. Chris Taylor 4 February 2008

4

Action points 4. Matters arising Funding of SDM post A memorandum of understanding to be drawn up between NLS and SCURL regarding NLS support of SCURL. Sheila and Gordon to meet shortly to discuss the memorandum. 5. Service Development Manager’s report Sheila to write to thank George Sked for his help and advice. Special Needs Group – Jill to ask SCURL directors to encourage their staff to participate in the group. 6. SCURL financial statement Jill to ask Counter to send more information about the benefits of membership. 7. Process of establishing Sub-groups of SCURL Jill to ask the chairs of SCABS and SNIPES to attend the next BC. Jill to amend the paper in time for it to be tabled at the next plenary meeting. 8. SFC/ JISC / SCURL liaison Sheila and Helen to meet the new representative from SFC. A brainstorming session to be arranged for the next BC. 9. CASS and UKRR Jill to invite UKRR to the next plenary as part of a hot topic discussion. 12. SDLC Sheila to propose setting up a group involving a mix of SDLC and SCURL representatives. 13. SCURL vision Jill to collate feedback and circulate a paper to the BC, then the next plenary. 14. SCURL plenary on 15 April at Glasgow Caledonian University Gordon to table Federated Access and UKRR as hot topics. Jill to invite directors to bring three non-director staff. Jill to move the Away Day to 24 June. Jill to e-mail the SCURL list about possible venues, particularly whether the UHI campus on Skye would be acceptable. Jon and Jill to organise the SCURL study day to Amsterdam. 15. Any other business Jill to invite Nicole Harris to the next plenary in April.

5


								
To top