Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Get this document free




More Info
									‘I want to study abroad’
-ooOooInformation for Undergraduate Students Wishing to Study Abroad in

in The USA / Australia / Canada / Hong Kong / Japan / Latin America / Middle East / New Zealand / Russia

-ooOooThe Study Abroad Office
September 2009

Produced by

There are vacancies in the University of Essex Study Abroad Exchange Programmes for undergraduate students who wish to study in the USA / Australia / Canada / Hong Kong / Japan / Latin America / the Middle East / New Zealand or Russia for one term or a year as part of their University of Essex degrees. There are also options in EUROPE, but there is a separate booklet on European programmes.

How do I go about it?
Acceptance onto the Study Abroad Exchange Programme is subject to the agreement of your Department and in some cases approval of a special syllabus including the period of study abroad by the relevant Dean. Any student interested in applying should consult their Departmental Study Abroad Officer in the first instance for approval in principle.

Are there any special qualifications I need?
In order to be eligible for participation in the Study Abroad programme, students should have a minimum average first-year mark of 53%. Students found guilty of Academic Offences or Disciplinary Offences will not be eligible to participate. FOR LATIN AMERICA: You need to have advanced Spanish or Portuguese. The courses are all taught and examined in Spanish (Portuguese in Brazil) and so students without advanced language skills cannot study abroad in Latin America. There is one exception: students doing business/finance degrees can study in Mexico as one of our partners offers business and politics courses in English.

If my department approves, when could I study abroad?
For students who wish to study abroad for one term, you would normally apply to go for the Autumn Term of your second or third year, returning to Essex after Christmas to complete the year (Spring & Summer Terms). However, at a limited number of our partner universities, it is possible to spend the Autumn Term or the Spring Term. For students who wish to study abroad for one year, you would apply to go for: the whole of your second year *, returning to complete your degree in the third year, or the whole of your third year, returning to complete your degree in a fourth year. * Some departments, but not all, will permit students to study abroad for the entire second year on a 3-year programme of study.

Study Abroad Briefings and Info
 Most departments will have scheduled meetings to discuss study abroad options with any interested students. If your department has not publicised such a meeting, call in to the Study Abroad Office. These will also be published on the Study Abroad website If a study abroad period is compulsory on your degree then it is extremely important that you attend the briefing meetings. You will be emailed by the Study Abroad Office about the meetings. Week 8 Autumn Term : Deadline for Study Abroad Application papers Week 11 Autumn Term : Notification of provisional allocations.


 

We will accept applications later, but the most popular destinations are likely to be full after the first round of applications. SPRING TERM
 Further Study Abroad information – via the Study Abroad office

   The Registry will write to your Local Education Authority to notify them of your Study Abroad placement. Letters of acceptance from your study abroad university will start to arrive. Residence forms and other relevant information will be sent directly to you from the host university. You should respond promptly to requests for accommodation applications, etc. Travel / Personal belongings insurance: this is at your own expense, and it often can be extended beyond the actual traveling to cover the whole period of study, personal items, laptops etc. Health Insurance: this is an extremely important item. Some universities have compulsory policies, and we would strongly recommend that you take these – these may seem expensive but will cover all items relevant to that particular country. Where the university does not have a compulsory policy, you should take great care to purchase a comprehensive policy, designed for the country you are going to. Don’t forget that medical bills can be huge, just for a visit with a minor problem, or routine medication – you should research this extensively to get adequate cover. We cannot recommend any insurers, but would suggest that you check out specialist student companies, and any of your existing policy issuers, and make sure that it covers the whole period you are away (allowing for any travel plans).



Lynn Baird in the Study Abroad Office will be pleased to help with any questions you have about your Study Abroad applications. Ext. 3976.
E-mail: lbaird (Non-Essex users should add to complete the e-mail address.)

Which Universities would be available to me?
Please also refer to the supplementary document which provides information about departmental or degree course restrictions / recommendations. * Due to the popularity of some of our exchange locations, no more than two of your three choices can be from those marked with an asterisk. *
USA: University of Arkansas in Fayetteville Brooklyn Law School, New York City (Law students only) California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo California State University, Chico * Catholic University of America, Washington DC * University of Connecticut, Storrs campus University of Hawai’i at Hilo Hawai’i Pacific University University of Kansas in Lawrence Le Moyne College in Syracuse, New York State University of Miami in Coral Gables * University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (not available in 2010-11) * University of Mississippi Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts (women only) Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio Northern Arizona University at Flagstaff University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill * University of New Mexico in Albuquerque Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia Pitzer College, Claremont CA (near Los Angeles) * Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana University of Utah in Salt Lake City CANADA: Guelph University (near Toronto) University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario (near Toronto) Université Laval, Quèbec City (all teaching in French) University of Victoria, British Columbia AUSTRALIA: Macquarie University, Sydney * Monash University, Melbourne University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba (near Brisbane) NEW ZEALAND : Massey University, Auckland, Wellington & Palmerston North University of Otago, Dunedin HONG KONG : The Chinese University of Hong Kong JAPAN: Akita University Saitama University may be a possibility

ISRAEL: Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Beer-sheva and Eilat) (exchange) University of Haifa (fee-paying) The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (fee-paying) Tel Aviv University (fee-paying) NB the Israeli programmes (other than Ben Gurion) are not formal exchanges, and so additional tuition fees are payable. However, there are various scholarships for which students can apply. LATIN AMERICA: ARGENTINA Universidad Católica de Córdoba BRAZIL COLUMBIA MEXICO Universidade Federal de Santa Caterina, Florianopolis, Universidade Federal de Bahia, Salvador Universidad de Los Andes, Bogota Universidad de Monterrey (UDEM) Tec de Monterrey (ITESM) campuses: Cuidad de Mexico; Cuernavaca; Estado de Mexico;Guadalajara; Mazatlan; Monterrey; Toluca; Queretaro; San Luis Potosi

We also have informal agreements with some additional Latin American universities (Universidad Central ‘Marta Abreu’ de las Villas, Santa Clara, Cuba; and Universidad Autonoma de Yucatan, Mexico); these universities charge minimal tuition fees which students would have to pay. Ask the Study Abroad office for further information.

RUSSIA: Volgograd State University

Some countries have better support than others for students who may have special needs or student support requirements. In order for us to best advise you, it is helpful if you disclose any such requirements at an early stage. Students are not required to disclose disabilities or special needs but we can only assist if you have fully informed the Study Abroad office of your needs.

We also have many partners within the European Union and Turkey – see our EUROPE booklet for details.

How do I find out more about these universities?
The majority have very good websites. The Study Abroad website has URL links to the exchange partners.

How would my courses be assessed?
Students will undertake a course of study which will be taught and assessed by the host university, The results will be integrated into their marks at Essex and will count towards their final degree result.

Tuition fees for the study abroad period?
Undergraduate students spending a full academic year studying abroad, whether compulsory or elective, receive a 50% reduction on tuition fees at the University of Essex for that year, except for home/EU students going to Europe for a full academic year under the ERASMUS initiative, who pay no fees at all. N.B. The above fees apply only to undergraduate students studying abroad for a FULL academic year. You will not pay any tuition fees to the Study Abroad university, with the exception of certain Israeli and Latin American universities as already mentioned. Students going abroad for part of the year, including ERASMUS students, will pay fees as normal to the University of Essex; there are no deductions for the period spent abroad.

What extra costs are involved?
The Exchange Programmes cover tuition fees abroad but not cost of living, visa or travel expenses. Students are generally provided with accommodation by the host university but the cost of this is not included in the exchange. The majority of our partner universities have on-campus accommodation. However, in Latin America (& Europe) students generally must find their own accommodation. On applying to your allocated university, you may need to provide a financial guarantee to satisfy the immigration authorities that you are financially independent. A list of the amounts required is available from the Study Abroad Office; the figures are different for each university depending on location. Students are responsible for ensuring that they have comprehensive travel and health insurance cover; the University provides only basic cover for the study period.

… and what about the financial guarantee?
For applications to countries other than European ones, this often has to be enclosed with your application and has to prove that you have access to the total amount of money equal to the guarantee. (check with the Study Abroad office for more info)

So, if I want to study abroad ……
1. Attend a study abroad briefing in your department. 2. Go to see your Departmental Study Abroad Officer to discuss the possibility. 3. If you obtain their approval in principle, complete the Study Abroad Application, obtain the necessary DEPARTMENTAL approval signature, and return to Lynn Baird in the Study Abroad Office. 4. The Initial Course Selection Forms* and the Personal Statements are important, as they will assist in the final allocation selection - sometimes there are more students requesting a particular university than there are places available at the most popular universities. 5. Please bring your PASSPORT to the Study Abroad Office with the forms, as we will need to take a copy of the details page (this needs to be done by staff in the office so that it can be notarised).
 Students are expected to do the initial research on the university websites of their three preferences and identify a group of potentially suitable courses to fit their degree requirements BEFORE contacting their Study Abroad Officer. Please do NOT go the SAO with nothing to discuss: unfortunately they do not have time to locate courses for each individual student, but are available to discuss the suitability of the course choices supplied by the student. * one for each university on your University Preference form, as evidence that a sufficient selection of courses have been identified at that university)

What happens then?
1. After the submission deadline, the Study Abroad Office will draw up the allocation list and email you with the name of the university to which you have been nominated. 2. The Study Abroad office will contact each partner university informally with the list of nominated students for an initial response about ‘acceptance in principle’. You will be advised of the outcome. 3. Students on degrees without a compulsory period of study abroad will be contacted by the Study Abroad Office to complete a Special Syllabus Form for the Dean’s approval. 4. All students on degrees with a compulsory period of study abroad will be asked to submit a list of courses they intend to choose on their return to Essex. 5. The Study Abroad Office will notify Registry with a list of all students who will be proceeding to study abroad in the following year, and notification will automatically be sent to your Local Authority/Student Finance. 6. You will be prompted at the appropriate time to fill in the host university application form. This should be printed out, and taken it to the Study Abroad Office – THESE MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE, NOT DIRECTLY FROM YOU TO THE HOST UNIVERSITY. 7. Host university applications normally have to be completed by the middle of March at the very latest (possibly earlier for Australia and New Zealand).

If I am not sure what to do, who should I go to?
STUDY ABROAD OFFICE (Room 5S.7.27) top floor of the Law Building, sq4
REST OF THE WORLD: Lynn Baird will be pleased to help you with any queries you have. Tel. 01206 873976 e-mail: lbaird EUROPE: Please see the ERASMUS leaflet for further information, or contact Julie Andrews. Tel: 01206 873978 e-mail: saoadmin LATIN AMERICA & SPAIN/PORTUGAL: Mary Ann Villar will be pleased to help you with any queries you have. Tel. 01206 873565 e-mail: mavillar (Non-Essex users should add to complete the e-mail addresses)

To top