Docstoc

Norton_

Document Sample
Norton_ Powered By Docstoc
					Extracts from THE HISTORY AND ANIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF LEICESTER by JOHN NICHOLS, F.S.A. EDINB. & PERTH VOL 2, PART 2 London, printed by and for the author, 1798

[All of the section on Norton, pp. 731-737 has been transcribed, with the additions and corrections to page 732, which are from page 895 of the volume. Those parts of the section on Galby, which refer to people with the name Whalley, have also been transcribed. The italicisation, and spelling of words, has been kept as in the original, though the old form of the letter „s‟ has in all cases been changed to the modern form. The layout is different, since the original is in two columns per page. Some diacritical marks (accents) have been omitted. A few comments have been inserted, for clarification, or where without them, it would seem there has been a transcription error; these are contained in square brackets [ ]. The transcription has been made by Frank Whalley, who has tried to ensure that there are no significant errors. The Pedigree charts on pages 736 and 737 have been transcribed to a Spreadsheet: see Nichols.xls. Plate CXXI is available as a JPG file, NicholsPic.jpg. The footnotes to the Pedigree charts are given in this present document. A partial glossary of terms is at the end of the document.] Page 731 NORTON, called anciently, by way of distinction from others in the county, King’s Norton and Norton juxta Gaulby, is bounded by Galby, Houghton, Stretton Parva, Burton Overy, and Ilston. It is nine miles distant from Harborough, seven and a half from Leicester; and, in the ecclesiastical division of the county, is within the deanry of Gartre. This lordship occurs three times in Domesday-book. It is first noticed as containing three ploughlands and five acres of meadow, parcel of the royal demesne appendant to the manor of Bugedone. [see footnote 1.] Four ploughlands and a half in Norton were possessed by Robert Dispenser. This portion had been valued, in the reign of the Confessor, at twenty shillings, and so continued at the time of the survey. One plough was in the demesne; and six villans, with two socmen and three bordars, had two ploughs and a half. There were two acres of meadow, three acres of wood, and a mill worth two shillings. [see footnote 2.] Another portion of this lordship, containing also four ploughlands and a half, had been held freely, in the reign of the Confessor, when three ploughs were employed on it, by Alwin and Ulf. It was then valued at ten shillings; and so continued at the survey, when it was held by Goisfrid de Wirce. One plough and a half were in the demesne; and three villans , with one socman and one bordar, had one plough. There were three acres of meadow, three acres of wood, and a mill worth two shillings. [see footnote 3.] After the Conquest, this lordship came to the earls of Leicester; and on partition of their lands was allowed to Quinci earl of Winton, and was ever after held of the fee of Winchester. In the Testa de Nevill, about the year 1240, half a fee in Norton is mentioned as held by Alwin Fitz Henry under William de Beauchamp.

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 1 of 21

Frank Whalley

In 1270, Roger de Quinci, earl of Winton, died seised of four knight‟s fees in Brantiston, Honecote, Frisby, Galby, Stretton, and Norton (value £10. each), which William Burdet held. Eleanor de Vaux, relict of the said Roger earl of Winton, held the said four knight‟s fees in dower; and Robert Burdet held the same under her, and the heirs of the said earl. [see footnote 4.] In 1277, Robert de Norton was seised of the greatest part of this township. In 1279, Norton is described as containing six ploughlands; of which Robert de Norton held one and a half in demesne, and one in free tenure; and Robert, son of Ralph, the rector of Dalby, a virgate and a half. The same Robert de Norton held under Thomas de Endis, who held under Robert Burdet, tenant to the heir of the earl of Winton, who held under the king. Scutage was paid to the said Thomas for one fee with one ploughland in Stretton. And three ploughlands here were in the soke belonging to the king‟s demesne; of which Robert, the son of Ralph, John ad Ecclesiam, and their partners, held two ploughlands. Herbert A----, William the son of Robert, Simon le Pan; William Medicus, and their partners, held two ploughlands, for which they paid no scutage. [see footnote 5.] In the Itinerary of 1280, Norton, Stretton, Glen, and Burton Overy, answered collectively as one vill. In 1312, William Marmion had a grant of free-warren at Norton and Galby. [see footnote 6.] In 1328, Robert de Holland, at the time of his death held, as of the right of inheritance of Maud his wife, the moiety of one knight‟s fee (value £10.) in Norton and Stretton Parva, which Edward de Bereford held under him. [see footnote 7.] In 1326, Henry Malore (on the aid then granted for knighting Edward of Woodstock, the king‟s eldest son) was assessed 5s. for half a quarter of one knight‟s fee in Norton juxta Galby, parcel of the honour of Winton. [see footnote 8.] Three tofts and a virgate of land at Norton, held under sir Thomas Harecourt (who was tenant in capite to the king) by the service of paying 6s. 8d. to the chaplains of Noseley, were given to the abbot and convent of Ouston in 1388 by William Babbeworth, chaplain, and John Kylpesham. [see footnote 9.] In 1412, Maud, who was the wife of John Lovel, knt. died seised of one knight‟s fee in Norton and Stretton Parva, which William Berford chief justice of the common pleas lately held. [see footnote 10.] In a book of fifteenths and tenths granted by the laity in 1416, Norton was rated at 16s.; towards which sum the tithes paid 11s. In the subsidy of 1445, Norton was rated at the same sum, and an abatement was made of 1s. In 1454, William Lovel, knt. died seised of one knight‟s fee in Norton and Stretton, which William Berford the justiciary held. [see footnote 11.] The priory of Ouston had the rectory of this place, and a portion of tithes, together with certain glebe land; these were leased by the priory to Thomas Brygge, clerk, 20 Henry VIII [1528] for the term of his life, at the rent of £3 6s. 8d. [see footnote 12.] Common of pasture for 300 sheep, upon Norton Heath, was leased to Richard Orton 28 Elizabeth [1585], at the annual rent of 13s. 4d. [see footnote 13.] Walter Keble, esq. of Humberston (who married Millicent, daughter of Thomas Haselrigg, esq.) died July 31, 1522, possessed of lands at Norton, Great and Little Stretton, Berkeley, Scraproft, Knighton, &c.; and Francis his son and heir was two years old. [see footnote 14.] John Prior, yeoman, died Sept. 23, 1531, seised of the rectory of Norton, and of 20 acres of arable land, 10 acres of meadow, and 20 acres of pasture there, at a rent of 4s. 03/4d. [see footnote 15.]

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 2 of 21

Frank Whalley

Ralph Whalley, esq. died Jan. 1, 1600, seised of the manor of Norton, held of the queen as of the honour of Winton, by fealty and a rent of 2s. He also possessed the rectory and advowson and patronage of the vicarage, with lands in Great and Little Shepey, held in capite by the service of one hundredth part of a knight‟s fee. [see footnote 16.] He died in 1719, aged nearly 100. [This last sentence must be an error. It applies to William Whalley, his great grandson.] Ralph Whalley, esq. of Norton, died Dec. 9, 1638; seised of the manor of Norton, held of the king as of the honour of Winton, by fealty and 2s. rent; the manor of Cossington, held of the king as of the dutchy of Lancaster by fealty only; 200 acres of arable, 100 of pasture, and 40 of meadow, in Norton; the rectory impropriate and advowson of Norton, and lands in Great and Little Shepey, held in capite by the service of on hundredth part of a knight‟s fee; leaving William his eldest son and heir, aged 8 years [see footnote 17.]; who, dying young, was succeeded by [continued on page 732] Footnotes to page 731 1. “In Nortone 3 carucatae terrae, & 4 acrae prati.” Domesday, fol. 230. b. col 1. 2. “Idem (Robertus Dispensator) tenet in Nortone 6 carucatas terrae & dimidiam. In deminico est 1 caruca; & 6 villani, cum a sochmannis & 3 bordariis, habent 2 carucas & dimidiam. Ibi molinum de 2 solidis; & 2 acrae prati, & 3 acrae silvae. Valuit, & valet, 10 solidos.” Ibid, fol. 235. a. col. 1. 3. “Idem G(oisfridus de Wirce) tenet 4 carucatas terrae & dimidiam in Nortone. Tempore regis Edwardi erant ibi 3 carucae. In dominico est 1 caruca & dimidia; & 3 villani, cum 1 sochmanno & 1 bordario, habent 1 carucam. Ibi milinum de 2 solidis, & 3 acrae prati, & 3 acrae silvae. Valuit, & valet, 10 solidos. Aluuinus & Ulf libere tenuerunt.” Ibid. fol. 235. b. col. 1. 4. Esch. 55 Hen. III. [1270] No 36. Leic. 5. See the Introductory Volume, p. cxxi. 6. Cart. 5 Edw. III [1330/1]; and see before, p. 589. 7. Esch. 2 Edw. III. [1327/8]No 54. Leic. 8. Rot. Aux. 20 Edw. III [1345/6]. 9. Inq. ad quod dampn. 12 Ric. II [1388]. 10 Esch. 1 Hen. VI. [1422] No 51. Leic. 11.Esch. 33 Hen. VI. No 28. [1454] Leic. 12. Bailiffs Accompts in the Augmentation Office. 13. Leases in the Augmentation Office 14. Inq. 27 Nov. 14 Hen. VIII [1522]; Cole‟s Escheats, vol. I. (Harl. MSS. 756.) p. 138. 15.Inq. 23 Hen VIII [1532]; Cole‟s Escheats, vol. II. (Harl. MSS. 757) p. 72. 16. Inq. taken at Leicester by William Brent, gent. the queen‟s escheator, 25 July, 43 Eliz. [1600] 17. Inq. at Melton, 21 Jan. 14 Car. I. [1638]; Cole‟s Escheats, vol. VII. (Harl MSS. 411.) p. 121. Page 732 his next brother, named also William; who in 1660 was thought of as a proper person to be one of the knights of the Royal Oak, his estate being then as least £2000 a year. [see footnote 1.] On a report in 1656 of the commissioners appointed to visit Wigston‟s Hospital, their estates at Norton by Galby were thus reported: “Edward Beaumont held a house and a close of three acres and a half for three lives, paying yearly 13s. 4d.; his fine was £5. Mrs Susanna
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 3 of 21

Frank Whalley

Whalley, widow, and Mr. William Whalley, held two houses and two farms, containing four yard-lands and a half, for three lives, paying £6. 3s. 4d. Since the letting the said leases the lordship is inclosed, and the hospital land laid out in the worst place of the lordship. There were 24 yard-lands belonging to the whole lordship of Norton; and to every yard-land six cow-pastures, and common for 40 sheep; &c.” Mr. William Whalley had a son Bernard; whose son Bernard dying in 1752, this lordship and that of Galby became the property of William Fortrey, esq. who dying at Norton, unmarried, Dec. 11, 1783 [see footnote 2.], was succeeded by his nephew and devisee, the Rev. Henry Greene, M.A. of Rolleston-hall, the present owner 1797; who is now the immediate representative of three ancient families, Greene, Whalley, and Fortrey; and possesses portraits of many of them; with several other good pictures, particularly of king James I. and his queen; Charles I; Oliver Cromwell; Dr. Chaderton bishop of Lincoln 1602; &c. &c. and some masterly miniatures (mostly of unknown persons) of the last century. In 1564, there were 12 families in Norton, and 6 in Little Stretton. In 1655, there was collected in Norton and Little Stretton, for the relief of the poor Protestants in Piedmont, the sum of £1.2s.7d. The freeholders here in 1630 were, William Whalley, esq. and Ralph Whalley, gent. Extracts from Norton register, commencing in 1588. Baptisms. Elizabeth, daughter of Will. Whalley, July 2, 1591. Mary, another daughter, Jan. 4, 1592/3 Ralph, son of William Whalley, April 5, buried August 16, 1594 Ralph, another son, July 20, 1595; buried Jan. 14, 1600-1 Jeffery, another son, June 13, 1630; buried August 27, 1602 Examined 23rd Junii, 1601, W. FYRROPPE [see footnote 3.]. In 1605, signed “T. RIDDINGTON, clerk.” Esther, daughter of Stanhope and Elizabeth Whalley, baptized Jan 10, 1668-9 Sigerina, another daughter, May 17, 1670. Millecent, daughter of William Whalley, jun. and Susanna his wife, baptized Aug. 7 1671 Eustace, son of William Whalley, esq. and Anne his wife, July 24, 1673. Constantine, son of William Whalley, esq. by Anne his wife, bapt. May 24, 1675. James, son of William Fortrey, gent. by Anne his wife, bapt. Feb. 17, 1699 1700. Elizabeth Fortrey, bapt. April 29, 1701.

Burials Elizabeth Whalley, widow, buried Sept. 6, 1604. Ralph Whalley, son of Ralph, March 2, 1619-20. William Whalley the elder, esq. May 6, 1632. Millecent, wife of Ralph Whalley, June 8, 1635. Ralph Whalley, esq. Dec. 14, 1638. William Whalley, gent. Oct. 25, 1644. [see footnote 4.] Wyamarus Whalley, Sept. 21, 1690. William Whalley, gent. son of William Whalley, esq. Aug. 7, 1691. Susan Whalley, widow, May 27, 1692. William Whalley, gent. Sept. 4, 1692. Mrs. Jane Whalley, May 2, 1693. Anne, wife of Will. Whalley, esq. Feb. 26, 1695-6.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 4 of 21

Frank Whalley

Susanna Smallie, May 9, 1708. Francis Whalley, Jan. 31, 1708-9. William, son of John Smallie by Millecent his wife, Nov. 3, 1709. Susanna Whalley, widow, Dec. 4, 1710. Mr. James Ross, vicar, July 17, 1714. William Whalley, esq. April 1, 1719. William Fortrey, esq. June 13, 1722. Bernard Whalley (a youth) Oct, 29, 1732. Francis Miles, vicar, Nov. 5, 1732. Ann Fortrey, widow, Nov. 21, 1733. William Whalley, gent. July 23, 1734. Mrs. Elizabeth Whalley, June 6, 1751. Bernard Whalley, esq. May 26, 1752. Marriages William Whalley [see footnote 5.] and Frances Whalley, Dec. 17, 1590. John Rainsford and Rachel Whalley, Sept. 10, 1629. Nov. 19, 1668, William Panter, citizen of London, in the parish of Stepney, and Anne Smith, of Norton juxta Galby, married with licence. Oct. 20, 1670, William Whalley, jun. and Susanna Whalley. Sept. 16, 1671, Nathanael Alsop, of Langton, and Joanna Gregory, of Norton juxta Galby. The Rev. Mr. Christopher Pegge, and Mrs. Mary Alsop, July 2, 1741. The Rev. Mr. Philip Bliss and Mrs. Joanna Alsop, July 2, 1741. William Watts, esq. of Leicester, and Mrs. Mary Whalley, Jan. 19, 1747. The Rev. Morgan Price and Miss Catharine Abernethey, Jan. 3, 1748. Norton £. s. d. 8 9 8 2 16 3 5 11 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 16 14 7 19 9 2 21 9 0 19 4 3 8 0 4 3 7 0 0 0 0 18 5 0 0 0 0 0 11 0 0 0 0 Stretton Parva £. s. d. 69 10 6 3 3 8 66 6 10 4 7 6 1 9 3 124 16 4 103 18 3 118 6 10 115 13 9 11 5 6 0 104 1 0 4 0 0 8 9 6 16 1 0 3 9 4 3 8

Money raised for the poor, within the year ending at Easter 1776, Expended in county rates, &c. -------------on the poor Rent of workhouse and habitations Expended in litigations, Money raised for 1783 - - - - - - - - - - - - -1784 - - - - - - - - - - - - 1785 Medium of these three years - - - - - - of county expenses - - - - - - of expences not relating to the poor; repairs of the church, roads, &c. - - - - - - -- of nett annual expences - - - - - - - -of attending on magistrates, - - - - - - - -of entertainments at meetings - - - - - - - -of law expences, - - - - - - - -of setting the poor to work,

Footnotes to page 732 1. See the Introductory Volume, p. xlvii. 2. About three weeks before his death, as Mr. Fortrey was going into his garden before he went to bed, he fell down a flight of stone steps in the front of his house, and not being able to
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 5 of 21

Frank Whalley

recover himself, and the only servant that slept in the house being gone to bed, he lay out all night, and was found in the morning by the servant, but not quite dead, and from that time languished the above period. He was buried, with his father, in the church-yard at Norton, at the East end of the church; and an inscription for him is intended to be placed on the same tomb (see p. 735). In the mean time, the very excellent church which was built by his munificence is itself so splendid a monument, that is may be truly said of him, as of sir Christopher Wren, Tumulum si quaeris, circumspice. 3. Hallaton, Gumley, and Stanton Wyvile registers, are signed by the same person, on the same day and same year. J.T. 4. From this time till after the Restoration, the register was badly kept; a circumstance which is frequently observable in registers about that time. J.T. 5. By this match Mr. Whalley acquired the manors of Norton, and divers lands at Cossington and other places. Additions and Correction to Page 732 (on Page 895) The following leases were granted by the master and brethren of Wigston‟s hospital: A lease, dated 20 June, 1649, made to Thomas Beaumont, and his son Edward Beaumont, and Elizabeth wife of Edward, of a cottage and a close in Norton, containing 3 acres and a half, lying in a close called Bulgers. Habend‟ to Thomas Beaumont, Edward Beaumont, and Elizabeth his wife, for their lives. Rent 13s. 4d. payable at Michaelmas and Lady-day; and a clause for re-entry for non-payment at 20 days, if no distress can be found on the premisses. Worth, to be let, per annum - £3. 21 Aug. 1686, this lease was surrendered, and a new lease granted of the same cottage and closes (except as above) to Elizabeth Beaumont, widow, and her son Thomas Beaumont. Habend‟ to them and their heirs during their two lives, and the life of Alice the wife of Thomas Beaumont. Rent as in the former lease. A lease, dated 21 Sept. 1681, made to Stanhope Whalley, gent. of a messuage, and one yard-land and a half, antiently belonging to the messuage in the tenure of Andrew Wilson; and 3 little closes in Norton juxta Galby; and common of pasture for --- horses, 6 beasts, and 60 sheep, to the premisses belonging; and one other yard-land in Norton, in the tenure of Stanhope Whalley; and common for – horses, 6 beasts, and 40 sheep, in Norton, to the messuage belonging (except all timber-trees). Habend‟ to Stanhope Whalley and his assigns during the lives of William Whalley and Bernard Whalley, being two of the sons of the said Stanhope Whalley and Hester Whalley, being one of the daughters of the said Stanhope Whalley; the said William Whalley being of the age of 15 years, Bernard Whalley 5 years, and Hester 12 years. Rent £10 per annum at Michaelmas and Lady-day; two capons, or 2s. in money, at Candlemas, and one load of coals; and a clause of re-entry for non-payment at 40 days, if no sufficient distress be upon the ground. Worth per annum - £35. A lease, dated 17 Sept. 1681, made to William Whalley the elder, esq. of messuage and two yard-lands in Norton juxta Galby, in tenure of William Whalley the elder; and of two closes in Norton juxta Galby, one of them called Little Hill, and the other called Skoker Hill, in tenure of William Whalley the elder (except all timber trees). Habend‟ to the said William Whalley the elder, his heirs and assigns, during the lives of William Whalley the younger, Bernard Whalley, and George Whalley, three of the sons of William Whalley the elder; the said William Whalley the younger being of the age of 29 years, Bernard Whalley 25, and George Whalley 14 years. Rent per annum £10 at Michaelmas and Lady-day; and one couple of fat capons, of 2s. in money, at Candlemas; and one load of coals; with a clause of re-entry for non-payment at 40 days, if no distress be on the premisses. Worth per annum £40.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 6 of 21

Frank Whalley

In 1349, a chantry was ordained, at the altar of St. Michael, Lincoln, for the soul of Richard de Stretton.

Page 733 The CHURCH (SEE Plate CXXI.) dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was entirely rebuilt by the late Mr. Fortrey, and consists of a tower (in which are eight excellent bells [see footnote 1.]) surmounted with four handsome pinnacles, and a fine crocketed spire. On a wall in the church-yard is a small cross shewn in plate CXXI. fig. 26. [I think this should read fig. 27.] The entrance to the church-yard, through a handsome balustrade-gate of hammered iron [see footnote 2.], is by an ascent of ten stone steps; over which are the arms of Whaley [this is the only time Nichols spells the name with a single „l‟], impaling a cross botone between three trefoils slipped; fig. 43. Ten more steps lead to the West-door of the steeple, through which is the only entrance into the church. The inside has a spacious nave and chancel both of one pace; and is elegantly fitted up with desk, pulpit, altar, and a row of pews under each side-wall, in the manner of collegiate chapels, all of fine English oak; a beautiful organ-case (with many pipes for an organ); and a neat modern font, of free-stone, on and octangular pedestal, with fluted columns corresponding with the pillars which support the organ-loft, under which the font stands. The ample space between the pews is paved with freestone; and the altar with neat squares of black and white marble. Mr Wyrley, in 1590, found these arms here, fig. 28, 29. Argent, on a chief Gules, two mullets of six points pierced Or St. John. Argent, three bars Azure, a border Gules Ouston Abbey [see footnote 3.] The church of King‟s Norton was given to the abbot and convent of Ouston by Robert Grimbald,. and confirmed to them by king Henry II. and his son king Richard I. A difference between the abbot and convent of Ouston and William rector of Norton, respecting the right of the abbey to some of the profits of this rectory, was settled by Henry abbot of Bildwas. William abbot of Lilleshull, and O. prior of Roucester, who were delegated for that purpose by the pope, by an agreement that, in consideration of the abbot and convent‟s relinquishing all other rights, the rector should yearly pay them a mark at the feast of Pentecost, another mark and half a piece of wax at the feast of All Souls, and another half piece of wax on the feast of St. Martin. But a neglect of payment of the part of the rector having caused another dispute, the whole matter came under the examination of Raymond de Bleys, archdeacon of Leicester, who decreed, that in future one mark should be regularly paid at Pentecost, and one mark and half a piece of wax at St. Martin, under pain of a heavy penalty. “Test‟ R. de Bleys, in capitulo habito apud Ilveston in crastino clausi Pasche, anno VIo incipiente cois intdict Angl‟.” This remarkable date fixes the period to the year 1212, the papal interdict having commenced in 1207, and terminated in 1214. The rector was William de Kibbeworth, who is stated in the Matriculus of 1220 as the then incumbent, having been instituted to the rectory by Hugh bishop of Lincoln, on the presentation of the abbot and convent of Ouston, to whom he paid a pension of two marks and half a piece of wax. To this church also belonged the chapel Little Stretton, which was to be served three times in a week from the mother-church [see footnote 5.]. Another dispute, between R. abbot of Ouston and R. Burdett and W. de Norton, clerks concerning the parochial right to twenty virgates of land in Norton and Stretton, and six in
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 7 of 21

Frank Whalley

Galby, was thus settled about the year 1250: “R. Burdet parochialia VI virgatorum terre in Galby, cum omnibus pertinentiis suis, & mansum quod ipse possidet in Norton, cum virgatis terre, libere & quiete diebus suis possidenda retinebit. Abbas vero & conventus & W. eorum vicarius autefato R. Burdet singulis annis, pro bono pacis, unam peciam cere, scilicet in festo Sci Martini in vita sua prestabunt. Convenitur itaque inter partes ut hec composito tamen sit personaliter, vital patistentium non exedens.” This deed is in the Ouston Register; as are also the following articles relative to Norton. 1. Finalis concordia inter abbatem de Osulveston & Willielmum rectorem de Norton super pensione ex ecclesia de Norton solvenda. 2. Alia concordia inter predictos de eadem pensione, circa 1220. 3. Carta Johannis fil‟ Roberti de Norton de I tosta, cum grangia, concesso Willielmo Ordriz rectori ecclesie de Norton. 4. Carta prefati W. rectoris de predicto tosto concesso ecclesie de Norton. 5. Carta prefati Johannis fil‟ Roberti fil‟ Simonis de Norton de predicta parte tosti. 6. Carta Simonis fil‟ Rob‟ de Norton pred‟ de tosti. 7. Confirmatio Roberti de Norton de terris & tenementis concessis per Robertum avunculum suum. The abbot and convent of Ouston obtained two other confirmation-grants of this rectory in 1306 and 1334 [see footnote 6.]; and in 1344 the procurations were, 7s. 6 3/4d.; the rectory was taxed at 20 marks; and paid 2s. 6d. for Peter-pence. The abbot of Ouston had then the rectory to his own use; and in 1343 obtained another confirmation of his rights [see footnote 7.]. In a deed of 1391, preserved in the bishop‟s registry at Lincoln, it is stated that the church of Norton had the chapel of Stretton annexed to it, in which the abbot and convent of Ouston were bound to provide a chaplain perpetually to celebrate divine service for the souls of John at Halle and others. The consecration of the chapel of St. Michael at Stretton, within the said parish, saving all rights to the mother-church, is in the same register [see footnote 8.]. In 1534-5, the archidiaconal procurations and synodals were 5s. 6d.; and the value of the vicarage £6. 13s. In 1650, the incumbent is stated to be “weak.” The vicarage is a discharged living, the present value in the king‟s books being £7.; the clear yearly value there stated to be £32. 7s. arising from great and small tithes, with a vicarage and glebe. But, by an augmentation from Queen Anne‟s bounty, it is now worth £70. a year. The episcopal procurations are, for the rectory, 2s. 3d.; for the vicarage, 1s. 8d.; the archidiaconal, 5s. 6d. A parcel of land here is still reserved in pios usus [see footnote 9.]. The return made to the house of commons in 1786, in answer to an enquiry respecting the charitable donations in this parish, may be seen in p.32. RECTORS William de Kibworth, before 1220 Robert de Diwurne, 1234 PATRONS Abbot and convent of Ouston Dns epus, auctoritate concilii.

Footnotes to page 733 1. Mr Fortrey was particularly fond of the music of church-bells. The late Rev. W. Ludlam informed me, “that the ten bells at St. Margaret‟s at Leicester are superior to any in the county, or perhaps in England;” and added, “I can speak with some confidence, because a friend of mine, William Fortrey, esq, of Norton by Galby, made it his business all his life to
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 8 of 21

Frank Whalley

enquire into these matters; he is possessed of all the anecdotes that remain relating to the founder of the old bells in that steeple (Hugh Watts, once mayor of Leicester); and was himself the patron and director of Thomas Eayre*, late of Kettering, the founder of the two additional bells, the charge of which, and a great part of that of new-hanging the whole peal, was borne by Mr. Fortrey, who has also since rebuilt the church and steeple at Norton, and furnished it with a peal of ten bells (since reduced to eight, two of them having been thought dangerous to the steeple), clock, and chimes, at his own expence.” 2. This gate was brought from the old hall-house of Norton; which Mr. Fortrey pulled down with the intention of building a new one, but did not live to finish much more than the offices. 3. Founded by sir Robert Grimbald, whose arms these are. 4. Fuller‟s Church History, Cent.XIII. p. 49 5. Now but four times a year. 6. Pat. 34 Edw.I; & Pat. 18 Edw.III.m.49.pro ecclesia de Norton, cum capella de Stretton Parva. 7. Pat. 37 Edw.III. 8. See the Introductory Volume, p.c. 9. Bacon‟s Liber Regis, p. 545. * Among the portraits at Rolleston Hall is a good one of this Mr. Eayre; and another of Mr. Goodfellow, a self-taught musical genius, particularly famous for his skill in tuning of bells. Page 734 VICARS William Ordriz (Footnote 1), chaplain, 1238 Simon de Slybur‟, 1261 Roger de Barneburg, 1287 Richard Dolleson (Footnote 2), 1391 Thomas Burg, 1534 Richard Bewley (Footnote 3), 1560 Thomas Riddington, 1605, died 1671 Thomas Tookie, Dec. 6, 1671 James Rosse, Feb. 29, 1671-2. William Wallis, Aug. 10, 1714; died 1725 (Footnote 4) Francis Miles, March 29, 1726 (Footnote 5), died 1732 Thomas Milward, March 31, 1733 John Vann, May 4, 1737 William Ludlam, B.D. 1749; died 1788 (Footnote 6) Richard Walker (Footnote 7), M.A. Aug. 22, 1788 [PATRONS] Abbot and convent of Ouston Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto William Whalley, esq. Ditto Ditto Bernard Whalley esq. Ditto Ditto Ditto Rev. Henry Greene, M.A.

MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS The monuments in the old church here were thus described by Mr. Smyth in 1751. In the chancel, Against the North wall, on a large blue marble slab: “RALPH, ELDEST SON OF WILLIAM WHALLEY, ESQ. BORN JULY 20, 1595, MARRIED MILLICENT, DAUGHTER OF EDWARD SAUNDERS, ESQ. OF BREDWORTH, CO. NORTHAMPTON, AUG. 15, 1617, HAD ISSUE 3 SONS AND 8 DAUGHTERS. SHE DIED JUNE 8, 1635; HE DIED DEC. 14, 1638.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 9 of 21

Frank Whalley

WILLIAM, ONLY SURVIVING SON OF RALPH WHALLEY, BORN MAY 14, 1620, MARRIED ANNE, DAUGHTER OF BERNARD HYDE, ESQ. OF BORE PLACE, IN KENT, IN THE PARISH OF CHEDINGSTON, FEB. 5, 1651; HAD 7 SONS AND 5 DAUGHTERS. SHE DIED FEB. 24, 1695. WILLIAM WHALLEY, ESQ. DIED MARCH 29, 1719.” Below the last, an alabaster monument, part on this side the altar and part on the other; with the figures of the children, all kneeling on cushions, in prayer, being four sons and seven daughters; before the figures, in the wall, on black marble: “HERE LIETH THE BODY OF WILL‟M WHALLEY, ESQ. WHO MARRIED FRANCES, ONE OF THE DAUGHTERS AND HEIRS TO RALPH WHALLEY, OF NORTON, ESQ. BY WHOM HE HAD 4 SONS AND 7 DAUGHTERS. WILLIAM DIED THE 3D OF MAY, 1632, AET. 65; AND THE SAID FRANCES DIED THE 28TH OF JUNE 1633, AETATIS 66. WILLIAM, HIS THIRD SON, ERECTED THIS AT HIS OWNE CHARGES.” Behind this monument are the seven daughters; 1. Elizabeth Fisher’s arms. Azure, a fess dauncette, between 3 lioncels passant, Argent, Fisher; impaling, Argent, 3 whales‟ heads erased, 2 and 1, Sable, Whalley; plate CXXI. fig 30. 2. Mary Norris’s arms. Quarterly, Argent and Gules, in the second and third a fret Or; over all, on a fess, Sable, three mullets of the first; impaling Whalley; fig. 31. 3. Frances Busby’s arms. Or, three arrows, erected in pale, Sable; on a chief of the last as many mullets of the first, pierced of the second, Busby; impaling Whalley; fig 32. 4. Margaret Baker’s arms. Argent, on a saltire engrailed Sable, five escallops Argent; on a chief Sable, a lion passant Argent; Baker; impaling Whalley; fig 33. 5. Anne Whalley’s arms. Only Whalley. 6. Rachael Raynston’s arms Argent, a cross Sable, Raynston; impaling Whalley; fig. 34. 7. Jane Whalley. Only Whalley. At the East end, Quarterly, 1. and 4. Whalley; 2. Azure, a pheon Or, a chief of the last; Glothorp;2. 3. Azure, 6 mullets, Or, 3, 2, 1; Welsh; fig. 35. Opposite to the last, on the South side the altar, Whalley; impaling, Azure, 6 mullets Or, 3, 2, 1; Welsh; fig 36. Next the last arms are the four sons: 1. Ralph Whalley; arms of Whalley 2. Ralph Whalley; arms of Whalley; impaling, Per chevron, Sable and Argent, 3 elephants‟ heads erased, 2 and 1, counter-changed, tusked Or, Saunders; fig. 37. 3. William Whalley; arms of Whalley; impaling, on a bend, Gules, guttee de Or, between two martlets Sable, a chief compony, Or and Sable; fig. 38. 4. Jeffery Whalley; arms of Whalley. In the cross aile on a small blue marble: “Here lieth WILLIAM WALLIS, A.M. late vicar of this church;
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 10 of 21

Frank Whalley

he died Jan 11, anno Dom. 1725, aged 62” In the nave under the desk, a small blue marble: “Here lieth FRANCIS MILES, the faithful and beloved pastor of this church. In his life he gave a Christian example; at his death he left a desire of enjoying him longer to all. He died Nov. 3, 1732, aged 46 years.” In the North aile, over the door, a painted board monument, and this in gold letters: HERE LIES WILLIAM WHALLEY, OF GOADBY, GENT. SON OF WILLIAM AND SUSANNA WHALLEY, OF NORTON (AND WYAMARUS HIS SON). HE WAS BORN THE 23RD OF MAY, ANNO DOM. 1639, AND DEPARTED THE 1ST OF SEPTEMBER, ANNO DOM. 1692.” Wyamarus is mentioned near the last, on a plain stone, within the wall, as born March 31, 1675, and dying Sept. 19, 1690. On the floor, near the door, on a blue marble: Here lieth BERNARD WHALLEY, GENT whose charitable temper, dutiful conduct, and obliging condescension, justly endeared him to his own relations, and all who knew him. He entered into a better state Oct. the 27th, 1732, in the 23rd year of his age.” Below the last, on a blue marble: “WILLIAM WHALLEY, GENT. SON OF STANHOPE WHALLEY, OF NORTON, GENT. AND ELIZABETH HIS WIFE, DIED THE XXI OF JULY, MDCCXXXIV IN THE LXIX YEAR OF HIS AGE, AND LIES BURIED IN THIS VAULT WITH HIS ANCESTORS. A MAN OF AN HOSPITABLE TEMPER, AND AN HONEST HEART. IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIS FRIENDSHIP, AND IN GRATITUDE TO HIS KINDNESS, HIS SISTER ELIZABETH WHALLEY, INTENDING TO BE BURIED IN THE SAME GRAVE, HAS PLACED THIS STONE FOR HER DEAR BROTHER AND FOR HERSELF, MDCCXXXVI Footnotes to page 734 1. Will‟us Ordriz, capellanus, ad ecclesiam de Kinges-nortun, ad presentationem R. abbatis & convent‟ de Oselvestun. Testibus; magistrai R. de Kaden, R. de Raveningham, R. Blundo, J. de Crak, canonicis Lincola‟; dominis J. de Dyham, R. de Pokelinton, capellanis; magistris J.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 11 of 21

Frank Whalley

de Constabluar‟, J. Grosseteste, Remigio de Pokel, J. de Ardern, R. de Burgo, S. de Castell, J. de Eston, clericis. 9 kal‟ Ang‟ Reg. Grosseteste, Pont‟ 4. (dors‟) 2. See before, under Laughton, p. 994. 3. In the Certificate referred to under Billesdon, p. 346, Mr Bewley is thus described: “Presbyter, non conjugatus; mediocriter doctus; residet; non hospitalis; deget ibidem; non licentiatus, nec praedicat; nummul aliud habet.” 4. See his epitaph in this page. 5. See his epitaph in this page. 6. Of whom see an account in vol. I. p. 318. 7. Rector also of Galby; see p. 572. Page 735 [Inscription continued from previous page.] MRS. ELIZABETH WHALLEY DIED JUNE IV, MDCCLI, AGED LXXVI. SHE WAS BELOVED IN HER LIFE, AND LAMENTED AT HER DEATH” At the upper end of the aile, a blue marble: “Here lieth the body of Stanhope Whalley, of Norton, in the county of Leicester, gent. who married one of the daughters of Bernard Hyde, of Bore-place, in the county of Kent, Esq. by whom he had three sons and three daughters. He departed this life the 2d of September, Anno Dom. 1698” Under the North wall, a blue marble (see footnote 1.): “ELIZABETH ANDREW, DAUGHTER OF SIR EUSEBIAN ANDREW, KNT. AND ANN HIS WIFE, DAUGHTER OF SIR RICHARD KNIGHTLY, BY ELIZABETH DAUGHTER OF EDWARD DUKE OF SOMERSET, ………… TO KING EDWARD V1. SHE WAS BURIED THE 13TH DAY OF AUGUST, 1669.” Between the two highest pillars, a blue marble: “Here lies the body of Mrs. Hester Whalley, who departed this life Dec. 9, 1751, aged LXXXIII. her works do follow her; but the remembrance of them continues an instructive example to posterity.” In the church-yard:

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 12 of 21

Frank Whalley

At the back of the chancel, within an iron balustrade, a handsome free-stone monument, with a pyramid and urn at the top, in gold letter on blue marble, is still preserved as it originally stood; and has on the South side the following arms and inscription: Argent, three boars‟ heads couped, Sable, Fortrey; impaling Whalley. Crest, two wings indorsed; fig. 39. “GULIELMO FORTREY, armigo, qui vixit annos LXVIII. ob. MDCCXXII; et ANNAE conjugi (GULIELMI WHALLEY, armigi, filiae) quae vixit annos LXVIII. ob. MDCCXXXIII. parentibus charissimis filius fecit. Nec charus aeque nec superstes Integer.Think, as softly sad you tread Above the venerable dead, Time was like thee they life possest, And time shall be that thou shalt rest.” On the blank tablet in the front an inscription is intended to be placed to the memory of the late William Fortrey, esq. and his brother James. Near the last, on the ground, a free-stone tomb, inscribed at top: “ANN WHALLEY. Beneath this stone is likewise interred the body of BERNARD WHALLEY, ESQ. who died the 23d of May, 1752, in the 69th year of his age, universally lamented.” Against the wall, over the last, a monument of free-stone, with Ionic pilasters, pediment, and urn: “Beneath this stone lies interred ANNE WHALLEY, the daughter of CHARLES MANNING, of Dartford, in the county of Kent, Esq. Her conversation was agreeable, her manners amiable her faith unfeigned, her charity universal. Childless, she performed the duty of the best parent, to the fatherless, of the best wife to her husband, of the best friend to his friends. Her trust in Providence, and hopes of immortality, in the most hard and grievous pain, supplied her with comfort and chearfulness; Till a long and severe disease, which could not take away her patience,
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 13 of 21

Frank Whalley

at length took away her life, JUNE 28, MDCCXXXIV. She died in the 46th year of her age, lamented much by all, but most by her husband, BERNARD WHALLEY, ESQ. whose conjugal duty, mixing gratitude with grief, hath placed this stone over her grave. The Great may be admired; the Good should be imitated.” Most of the inscriptions noticed by Mr. Smyth have been preserved, by being placed as a sort of regular pavement on the outside of the church; and the following have been since added in the church-yard. On the North side, on a neat mural monument. Arms: Argent, three fishes‟ heads erased Sable, a crescent for difference, Smalley; impaling, argent, a greyhound passant, Sable; on a chief, Azure, three fleurs de lis Or, Halford. Crest, a wreath Argent and Sable, a whale‟s head erased of the last; fig. 40. “Near this place lie the remains of Mr. John Smalley (see footnote 2.), who died Sept. 19, 1763, aged 61 years; of Mrs. Elizabeth Smalley his wife, daughter of Sir Richard Halford, of Wistow, Bart. She died June 11, 1772, aged 69 years; and of Lieutenant William Smalley, their son, who died Jan. 5, 1764 aged 28 years. Good-nature and Generosity distinguished their characters, and make their names to be remembered both with pleasure and regret.” On the South side, towards the East end, on a large upright stone of Swithland slate; “Sacred to the memory of Thomas Beaumont, who died the 12th of February, 1790, in the 74th year of his age; he was 49 years clerk of this parish; which office he discharged with integrity. He was honest in his dealings, a good neighbour, and a beneficent benefactor to the fatherless and indigent. What, Without fault? Not so, I must own; Let him that is cast the first stone: If‟t had been so, Christ dy‟d in vain, Tho‟ we fall, Christ‟s our life, our gain. Also Priscilla, wife of the above: she died the 8th of February, 1791, aged 74 years. She was a woman of exemplary piety, charity, humility, and prudence.”

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 14 of 21

Frank Whalley

On other upright stones: George Woodcock gent. died Dec.16 1763, aged 73. Alice his wife, died Nov. 28, 1760, aged 78. Thomas Woodcock died Jan 31, 1791, aged 77. Samuel Long, Feb. 19, 1792, aged 60. Mary, wife of John Tetley, Sept, 28, 1773, aged 56. On a flat stone in the South aile of Alwalton church, co. Huntingdon: “Hear lieth the body of Thomas Gregory, gent. He departed this life, Sept. 23, 1662. He had two wives; the first Jane, the daughter of William Whalley, esq. of Norton, in the county of Leicester, who was buried in this grave July 15. 1644; by her he had two sons, Clement and Thomas; and one daughter, Frances. His other wife was Millicent, the daughter of Robert Pleydell, esq. of Holy Rood Ampney, in the county of Gloucester; by her had one only daughter Joanna (Footnote 3),” Footnotes to page 735 1. This and some other marble slabs were sawed up, to form the square pavement of the present altar. 2. Mr Smalley was an alderman of Leicester; and his second daughter Hester was married to Dr. John Vaughan, a respectable physician in that Borough; by whom he has had seven sons and one daughter. 3. Wife of the Rev. Nathaneal Alsop, rector of Church Langton; see p. 692. Page736 Page 736 is fully taken up by the largest part of the Pedigree of WHALLEY, of Norton Juxta Galby. For this see the spreadsheet Nichols.xls. Page 737 This first part of this page is taken up by the rest of the Pedigree of WHALLEY, and by the footnotes relating to that pedigree, which are here transcribed: Footnotes to the Pedigree of Whalley, of Norton Juxta Galby 1. Ursula married Richard Sharbourne, of Stonihurst, in the county of Lancaster; and had issue. 2. Mary married, 1. Robert Smithhurst, of Smithhurst, in the aforesaid county; and, 2dly, John Sonthard, esq. 3. This Henry Whalley, who was steward to Lacy earl of Lincoln, passed all his lands, 3 Edw. I. [1274] to the said earl; and, 8 Edward I. [1279] for that he had no heir-male, nor heir-general, linned all the said lands to the seignory of Blackburne. 4. This Richard Whalley, in right of his wife, was seised of Kirketon-hall, Kirkby Beler, and lands in Long Clauston. Thomas Leeke, of Kirketon, esq. and Jane his wife, 18 Edw. IV.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 15 of 21

Frank Whalley

[1478/9] covenanted to marry Elizabeth, their daughter and heir, to Richard Whalley, esq. of Darlaston, co. Stafford. This Richard made his will 1 Ric. III [1483]; and by it gave orders to his feoffees, sir Gervase Clifton, sir John Babington, knts., Thomas Leeke, esq. Richard Whalley, priest, and George Whalley, gent. to dispose of the manor of Darlaston to Elizabeth his wife for her natural life, and after to Joan his daughter; and his lands in Lancashire to the sons of his uncle Gilbert Whalley, if he should die with issue [This doesn‟t make sense to me; perhaps it should say „without male issue‟.]; which he did not; for in 9 Henry VII. [1493] sir Henry Willoughby passed the wardship of Thomas Whalley, Richard‟s son, to Thomas Leeke. Thoroton‟s Nottinghamshire, p. 130. 5. This Richard Whalley married three wives, and had issue by them all. By his first wife, Lora daughter of Thomas Brookman, he had five children, whereof four died without issue; and Thomas, the fourth son, who also died before his father, married the eldest daughter and coheir of Henry Hatfield, of Willoughby, esq. By his second wife Ursula Thwaites, Richard Whalley had 13 children; William, the eldest son, married Barbara, second daughter and coheir of the above-named Mr. Henry Hatfield; Bonaventure the second, Marshall the third, Ralph the fourth, Edward the fifth, all died unmarried. By his third wife Barbara Cope, he had issue four sons, William-Markham, James, Cordall, and Francis; and thee daughters, Susan, married to Cope of Horringan; Barbara, married to Cope of Kankesworth; and Winifred, married to Bighton in Lincolnshire. 6. Barbara Whalley, who survived her husband, married ------- Burnell, for whom she made a fair tomb at Sibthorp; as she did at Screveton for her husband Whalley, which shews he had 25 children by his three wives; which great number (together with his imprisonment in the Tower on account of Edward duke of Somerset, lord protector of Edward VI. whose servant he was, and some other mishaps) might very well be thought to lessen the great advancement he would otherwise necessarily have made of his family; being, by his relation to and interest in that duke, easily let-in to purchase Abbey-lands, of which notwithstanding he had a convenient share in this and other counties. In the chancel at Screveton, on a fair alabaster tomb, lies his statue in armour; and above, against the wall, kneel his three wives, L.W. U.W. B.W.; under which, at the end, over his head: “Behold his wives were number three: Two of them died in right good fame: The third this tomb erected she, For him who well deserv‟d the same Both for his life and godly end, Which all that know must need commend: And they that know not, yet may see A worthy Whalley soe was he. Since Time brings all things to an end, Let us ourselves applye, And learn by this our faithfull friend, that here in tomb doth lye, To fear the Lord, and then beholde The fairest is but dust and mold: For, as we are, so once was he; And as he ys, so must we be.” Along the side is, “Richard Whalley, esq. who lived all the age of 84 years, and ended this life the 23d of November, 1583. At the end, on one side of the tomb, kneels in armour, T.W.; and over his head the arms of Whalley, with some quarterings (but not proper); and underneath, Whalley, impaling Argent, a bend between ten lions heads erased Gules.

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 16 of 21

Frank Whalley

Under the altar are these inscriptions: 1. “Hic deposuerunt Thomas & Maria Whalley, filiolam Martham charum pignus, scientes cui crediderunt natam & denatam ann. Dom. 1624.” 2. “Haec sunt incunabula in quibus Thomas & Maria conjux filium Tho. Whalley, sopitum posuerunt; natum, renatum & denatum, anno dom. 1628; & denuo nasciturum.” And in the South aile; “ Sub hoc lapide conduntur illustrium virorum Thomae & Johannis whalley charae reliquiae; Quas exuit ille sexto non. Maii, anno Do. 1638; Uterque coelebs. Laetas reduturae animae Christique nuptias expectat. Tantum est. Ampliora si quaeras, est ubi consulas.” 7. To Thomas, the eldest son of Richard Whalley, and William the eldest by his second wife, did sir John Hercy of Grove, uncle of John Nevill before-named, marry his two nieces, Elizabeth and Barbara, the daughters and heirs of Henry Hatfield, of Willoughby, esq. by Alice, one of the eight sisters and heirs of the said sir John; but she was afterwards married to -------Markham; by whom having a son, none of Hercy‟s inheritance came to this family. Thoroton, p. 130.; ex autog. penes Peniston Whalley, arm. – Thomas Whalley had six sons and two daughters; 1. Richard, who died young; 2. Richard, who succeeded to the patrimony of his father; 3. Walter; 4. Robert; 5. John; 6. Thomas; Margaret, the eldest daughter, married to Arnold Reaseby, of Yorkshire, esq.; Eleanor, the second daughter, married to Thomas Draper, of Flintham, co. Nott. gent. 8. Richard Whalley succeeded his grandfather Richard, and was a person of great parts and action. He was knight of the shire for the county of Nottingham, and one of the most splendid sheriffs of that county; but, being much encumbered and engaged in suits, the latter part of his time was not prosperous. He had a third wife Jane, daughter of ---- Stirap. 9. In plate CXXII [this should say CXXI], fig.1 - 25, are the arms of the following matches of the Whalley family: 1. Antwilley: Barry of eight, Argent and Gules, in chief a lion passant guardant Sable. 2. Knowell, Or, six mullets Gules. 3. Banister; Argent, a cross, and in dexter canton a fleur de lis Gules. 4. Dulton; Sable, a lion rampant guardant Argent. 5. Townley; Argent, a fess, and in chief three mullets Sable. 6. Delves; Azure, on a chevron between three billets Or, three crescents Gules. 7. Leake; Argent, on a saltire within a border Sable, five annulets Or. 8. Abbot; Sable, a chevron between three lions heads erased Or. 9. Langford; Paly of six, Or and Gules, on a bend Argent, three mullets Azure. 10. Sutton; Or, on a chevron between three mullets Gules, three crescents Or. 11. Tobinger: Or, a bend Azure. 12. Simons; Or, on a bend Gules, between six hurts, three bezants. 13. Poole; Argent, a fess between three crescents Gules. 14. Browne; Azure, a chevron between three escallops Or. 15. Brookman; Or, a bend Sable. 16. Thwaites; Argent, on a fess between three fleurs de lis Sable, three bezants. 17. Cope; Azure, on a chevron between three cinquefoils Argent, two lions rampant combatant Sable. 18. Glothorp; Azure, a pheon‟s head, and a chief Or. 19. Hatfield; Ermine, on a chevron Sable, three roses Argent. 20. Cooke; Gules, three crescents, and a canton Or. 21. Welsh; Azure, six mullets Or. 22. Horsey; Azure, three horses‟ heads couped Or, bridled Sable. 23, Cromwell; Sable, a lion rampant Argent, armed and langued Gules. 24. Sanders; Per chevron, Sable and Argent, three elephants heads erased, counter changed. 25. Hyde; Gules, a saltire Or between four bezants, and a chief Ermine.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 17 of 21

Frank Whalley

10. Arms: Quarterly, 1. and 4. Vert, three bucks trippant within a border Or, Greene; 2. Whalley; 3. Fortrey. Crest, out of park pales proper, a buck‟s head Or; fig. 26. [The next two footnotes are by the transcriber. 11. There is a comment on the original chart that this Richard Draper married „Mary, the widow of Richard Whalley, the first son of his Uncle Richard.‟ The chart does show that Richard Draper‟s Uncle Richard Whalley had a first son Richard who married a Mary. But the second son, Thomas, is shown married to „Mary, dau. of sir Tho. Peniston, knt. remarried to Rich. Draper‟. Confusion! Since I have not seen mention of this first son, Richard, in any other document, I have drawn the chart so that it is the widow of the second son, Thomas, who re-marries to Richard Draper. 12.The chart says that this William Whalley married Susanna, dau. of Ralph Whalley and Milicent his wife, dau. of Edward Sanders. But when it shows the children of this couple, there is no Susanna, only a Susan! I have assumed these are one and the same.]

Extracts from the Section of Galby Page 569 The greater part of the lordship of Galby was inclosed in the year 1614. William Whalley, esq. was lord of the manor in 1642; in which year, by consent of all the parties interested, the common field was inclosed; and his immediate descendant Bernard Whalley died possessed of it in 17--. From this family it came to the late Mr Fortrey; from him to his devisee the Rev. Henry Greene, lord of the manors of Norton and Rolleston; by whom it has since been sold to peers Anthony Keck, esq. who is now lord of the manor, patron of the vicarage, and almost sole owner of the lordship. In 1564, there were 14 families in Galby, and 8 in the hamlet of Frisby. Pages 570/571 By a bill of complaint preferred by Mr. William Wragge in the Exchequer, 1727, it appears that the appropriated rectory of Norton, with the advowson of that vicarage, on the dissolution of the abbey of Ouston, were seized by king Henry VIII; from whom, by certain mesne conveyances, they in 1699 became vested in William Whalley, esq. of Norton; and that the rectors of Galby were entitled to a manse, and divers glebe lands, some within the lordship of Galby, and others within the lordship of Norton. The common field of Galby being inclosed in 1649 by general consent, and allotted among the several proprietors, Mr. Whalley agreed that Henry Tookie, rector of Galby, should enjoy two closes, called Pick’s Closes in lieu of the tithes of certain parcels of land allotted to Mr. Whalley, called Canigate, Randle, Wallgoal Meadow, Wood Meadow, New Meadow, Butt Close, Tween Towns, The Dams and Houghton Brook Closes; and that £15. 12s. 8d. should be yearly paid, in lieu of the tithes of The Mill Close, Goodman’s Close, Land Close, The Pond close, Town’s-end Close, and certain other grounds inclosed, lying in Tamborough and Broadsikes in Galby. Pick‟s Closes were enjoyed, and the sum of £15. 12s. 8d yearly received, by Henry Tookie, till his death, Nov. 7, 1673; when Edward Abbot was inducted to the rectory of Galby; who consented to continue the agreement till 1699; when, it having been suggested to him, and also to sir Richard Newdigate, of Arbery, co. Warwick, bart. then patron of the rectory of Galby, that the agreement might in a few years become prejudicial to the rectory; and it being agreed that certain lands should be settled in lieu of such payment; Mr. Whalley conveyed two closes in Galby, containing about 33 acres, one called Beby’s Close, and the other called
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 18 of 21

Frank Whalley

The Close Adjoining; and one other close in Norton, called Twin Hedges, containing about seven acres; in lieu of tithes of the closes in Galby aforesaid, called The Mill Close, Land Close, Pond Close, Town’s-end Close, and Gilby Wood, of certain other closes in Tamborough and Broadsikes; with covenants that Mr. Abbot and his successors should quietly enjoy the said closes; and that Mr. Whalley and his heirs should pay to the vicar of Norton and his successors all vicarial dues payable out of Twin Hedges, of which Mr. Abbot and his successors were to enjoy the impropriate tithes. This agreement was observed till the death of Mr. Abbot in 1715; when Zachary Wragge, as rector of Galby, entered into possession of the closes, and enjoyed then till, on the death of Mr. Whalley in 1719, his property descended to his grandson Bernard. Zachary Wragge, Dec 7, 1719, appointed his son William curate at Galby; assigning to him as a recompence, inter alia, the pension of three marks and a half; which Mr. Whalley constantly refused to pay (whereby eight yearly payments, making together the sum of £13. 6s. 8d. were in 1727 become due.) Zachary Wragge also demised Beby’s Close and The Close Adjoining to his son William, and to William Elliott and Sarah Beaumont; who, on a suggestion that the release of 1699 was informal, were all served with notices of ejectment by Mr. Bernard Whalley; who, on the cause coming to a trial at Leicester at the Lent Assizes 1723, obtained a verdict; the effect of which having been stayed by an appeal to the Exchequer, the occupiers continued in possession till the death of Zachary Wragge in 1727, when his son became rector of Galby; the purport of whose petition was, that the verdict might be set aside. In answer to this bill, Francis Miles, vicar of Norton, who succeeded William Wallis in 1725, admitted that William Wragge, having been duly inducted into the rectory of Galby, was justly entitled to all its tithes, profits, and glebe lands, though of what particulars the same consisted he knew not; but said, there was a close in Norton, enjoyed by the complainant, called Norton Field, but knew not whether the same was glebe land; and farther, that, since his induction to the vicarage of Norton, he had constantly received the dues belonging to the vicarage, in the manner his predecessors received the same; namely, of the defendant Bernard Whalley, esq. for lands in Norton £26. 16s. a year; of William Whalley, esq. for his lands there, £8. a year; of the complainant, for his close there, called Norton Field, £1. 3s. 3d. a year; of George Woodcock, for the lands there, 8s. 9d.; of Mr Perkins and Mr. Kenney, for lands there, 10s. a year; of William Allen, 3s. a year; of Thomas Goode, 4s. a year; of Anne Heyford, 3s. 2d a year and of such poor persons who depastured cows in the lanes or waste grounds in the liberties of Norton aforesaid, 10s. a year; which said several and respective sums had been paid to his predecessor Mr. Wallis; and that he had not any demand upon Mr. Whalley for any arrears of his vicarage, or for any vicarial dues arising from Twin Hedges, or from any other grounds in Norton or Galby; nor any demand on William Wragge, or on the executrix of his father, on account of the £1. 3s. 3d; and disclaimed all demand of any vicarial of other tithes payable out of Twin Hedges, Beby’s Close and Close Adjoining or to any dues arising from any other the grounds in the bill mentioned to be conveyed to Edward Abbot by William Whalley. William Dalby and John Warner also answered, that they were tenants to Bernard Whalley; but believed that, in any one year before or since the death of Zachary Wragge, they had not made more by grazing the said closes than the rent they annually paid; namely, by the said William Dalby £156. a year; and by the said John Warner £38. a year.

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 19 of 21

Frank Whalley

GLOSSARY (compiled by Frank Whalley) Advowson – the right of appointment to a church benefice. Bordar – A smallholder, usually on the outskirts of a village. Carucate (or hide) – As much land as an 8-ox plough team could keep in cultivation. Depending on soil type, and the lie of the land, it could vary between 90 and 180 acres. Demesne – Those parts of the land and rights of a manor that the lord retained for himself, as distinct from those used by his tenants. Domesday Book - A report of a survey of land holdings made in 1086 at the order of William the Conqueror. Escheat – To revert (land) to the superior lord. Fealty – Oral oath of allegiance to the king required of a tenant when taking possession of land. Fee – A grant of land in return for feudal service. In feudal times, all land belonged to the king. A Knight‟s fee is a unit of feudal (military) service in return for a grant of land. Fractions of a knight‟s fee were paid in money (see scutage). Feoffee – Trustee. Glebe – The land attached to a parish church. Honour – Several scattered manors held by one lord. Hundred, or Wapentake – Formerly, an administrative division of a County. The origin of the term is lost in antiquity, but may be from its originally containing 100 families, or 100 fighting men, or 100 hides of cultivated land. Impropriate – description of ecclesiastical property or income in the hands of a layman. In capite – held directly from the king, rather than through an intermediate lord. Manor – A landed estate with jurisdiction over the tenants through manorial courts. Its head was the Lord of the Manor, basically a landlord, not necessarily titled. He held the manor from the King, either directly, or through intermediate lords. Mark – A monetary unit worth 13 shillings and 4 pence (13s 4d). Used for accounting purposes, though never minted as a coin. Moiety – A half. Norton, Norton by (juxta) Galby - A village in the county of Leicester (pronounced „Lester‟), now called „King‟s Norton‟. Oxgang (or bovate) – One eighth of a carucate. Penny – One two hundred and fortieth of a Pound Sterling, abbreviated „d‟. Rector – A clergyman of a parish where the tithes were not impropriate, that is, not paid to a layman. Rectory – Used in this context to mean the income due to the rector, or to a layperson if it were impropriate. Scutage – An annual money payment to a feudal lord, in lieu of military service. Seignory – Lordship. Seised of – in possession of. Shilling – One twentieth of a Pound Sterling, abbreviated „s‟. Socman – A tenant of a feudal lord, who held his land by payment of money rent. Soke – An area under the law of a particular court. Subsidy – A tax levied on movables. Toft – A piece of land with a building on it. Vill – A district or group of houses that bore a name. Villan, villein – A tenant of a feudal lord who held his land by agricultural service to the lord.
Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 20 of 21

Frank Whalley

Virgate – A quarter of a hide or carucate. Yard-land – Same as virgate. Some terms used in the blazon (technical description) of Arms: Colours: Argent – white (silver); Azure – blue; Ermine – white with darker bits, simulating fur; Gules – red; Or – yellow (gold); Sable – black; Vert – green. Shapes: Annulet – small circle; Barry – broad horizontal stripe; Billet – upright rectangle; Bend – diagonal stripe; Bezant – small yellow circle; Chevron – stripe across the shield in the shape of an inverted V; Cinquefoil – flower head with five petals; Crescent – small circle containing a crescent; Escallop – scallop shell; Fess – horizontal stripe across the middle of the shield; Fleur de lis – an iris (or three lilies); Mullet – five-pointed star; Paly – broad vertical stripe; Pheon – arrow-head; Saltire – a diagonal cross. Position: Chief – in the top part of the shield; canton – one of the top quarters of the shield. Animal positions: Combatant – fighting; Couchant – lying down with head up; Guardant – having face turned to the spectator; Passant – walking towards the dexter side, with the dexter fore-paw raised, (dexter is the right side to the bearer of the shield, the spectators left); Rampant – standing in profile, on the left hindleg; Trippant – tripping, with right foot raised; Heads: Couped – cut off evenly; Erased – jagged, as if torn off. Impale – Combine two different arms, by having one in the left-hand half, and one in the right-hand half. (In Windows parlance, „tile vertically‟.)

Nichols „History &Antiquities of Leicester County‟

Page 21 of 21

Frank Whalley


				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:212
posted:11/29/2009
language:English
pages:21