HORTON-IN-RIBBLESDALE PARISH COUNCIL Minutes of the meeting of Monday 17 November 2008 Present: Cllrs Wilf Fenten, Chair for the meeting; Paul Dunkley; Winston White; Avril Palmer; Sheila Fleming; Colin Sunter In Attendance: District Councillor Richard Welch; 5 members of the public Clerk: Alison Fawcett Apologies: Cllr Sheila Millman 1. Declarations of Interest: Councillors were reminded of the need to declare interests as items arise. 2. Public Participation: i. Letter from Mrs Jobling – Mrs Berry asked if the letter had been received. Cllr Fenten confirmed it had and will be read out and dealt with under items of correspondence. 3. Minutes of the last meeting: Had been circulated and were agreed and signed as a true record of the last meeting – proposed by PD, seconded by WW. 4. Matters arising: i. BT payphone, Horton village centre – The Clerk reported that she had checked with BT and the door is not going to be replaced as there are none in stock and there is no known date for any to become available. It was agreed to write and say that this was unacceptable and give BT 3 months to replace the door – proposed by SF, seconded by PD. ii. Post box, Horton village centre – The Clerk has now been in touch with Royal Mail and asked them to put a notice on the new box. iii. Selside phone box – Cllr Fenten reported that BT has acknowledged the objections lodged by Craven DC against removal. BT can now appeal against the objections. iv. Yellow lines, Horton village – The Clerk reported meeting with D Cairns, NYCC Highways and requesting the new and additional yellow lines; a formal response is awaited. v. Verge cutting – A full reply is still awaited from NYCC Highways. vi. Helwith Bridge bus shelter – Cllr Fenten reported for Cllr Millman that works have been ordered. vii. Street lights – It was noted that the light at West View is out once again. viii. Council poppy wreath – The Clerk apologised that she had assumed the wreath delivered to the shop had been for the Council, it was not it was for the church, the Council no longer receives a wreath. It was agreed to ask for a wreath for the Council once again from next year – proposed by SF, seconded by PD. ix. School transport issue – A full reply is still awaited from NYCC. Cllr Palmer reported she had received an assurance that it was a one off and would not happen again. x. C/44/237A Horton-in-Ribblesdale C of E Primary School – Cllr Fenten reported that the application had been withdrawn from consideration before the last Planning Committee meeting to enable an amended design to be submitted. xi. Greenfield Forest extraction update – Cllr Fleming declared a personal interest in this item. She reported the meeting held between residents of Newhouses, UPM Tilhill and NYCC Highways. It now looks like the windblown timber will be extracted next spring,
Highways are to assess the road for improvements and works required. She also said that the Clerk should once again write to UPM Tilhill to ask for a direct update. The Clerk reported speaking to J Gilroy, NYCC Highways when similar information had been received along with the fact that NYCC is still lobbying UPM Tilhill to use the Cam route if possible. J Gilroy had also said he will speak to Cllr Sunter at the forthcoming Settle FQP meeting. Cllr Fenten suggested writing to L Bartlett, YDNPA Planning to ask what it could do to protect the lane and the verges. 5. Village Environment, Rights of Way and Highways: There was nothing new to report, however, Steve Hastie, YDNPA has requested coming along to the next meeting to discuss a new 3 Peaks project he is working on – this was agreed and the meeting will start at 7pm to accommodate him. Cllr Fenten also asked that an agenda item “Visitor payback” also be included for discussion with him. It was also agreed to invite Lisa Bartlett the new Planning Officer at the National Park to a future meeting. 6. Finance: The current statement had been circulated and those payment as listed were all agreed to be made. It was noted that the wreath cheque is to be added back in. A letter was signed by 2 Councillors informing the bank of the Clerk’s new address, as required. 7. Planning: Cllr Fenten did not take part in discussions on this item and did not vote. i. Applications: C/44/241A – Full planning permission for erection of single storey extension to provide kitchen/dining area, 12 Foredale Cottages – The Council recommend approval of this application – proposed by PD, seconded by WW. C/44/53G – Full planning permission for installation of 1 no. 0.75m dish antenna, 1 no. meter cabinet, feeder gantry and replacement cabin for the digital television switch over project (DSO), Harlands Barn, Brackenbottom Farm – Cllr Palmer declared a prejudicial interest in this item and left the meeting whilst it was discussed. The Council recommend approval of this application – proposed by SF, seconded by PD. ii. Decisions: None received. iii. Other planning matters: APP/C9499/A/08/2087934/NWF – Appeal – Full planning permission for erection of a detached accommodation annex, etc, The Golden Lion Hotel – This item was noted. 8. Settle – Carlisle line: Cllr Fenten circulated some information to Councillors and gave an update on the situation that works done recently mean there is a justification for an increase in the passenger service; however, the operating company also wants to increase freight usage. The lack of capacity on some trains was noted, especially on special days and events, and with the expansion of the Dales Rail area. Whilst recognising that there is little that the Council can do itself, it was agreed to think about solutions and to try and find out what current users think and Cllr Fenten reported forthcoming meetings and putting people in touch who need to talk and can influence the service. 9. Holme Farm Campsite: The Clerk gave a report of correspondence received from Mr R Smith on behalf of Mr C Sutcliffe, including letters of support. Mr Smith was in attendance at the meeting and was
invited to give the background and an update on the current position. Cllr Fenten confirmed that the Council had asked the question to find out if monitoring was continuing and thereby if the Enforcement Action was being pursued, and had not made any complaint nor passed any other comment. Andrew McCullagh is now dealing with matter at the YDNPA, and it was agreed to write to ask him for an update for the next meeting. There was also discussion on whether the Council supported the campsite or not, with several Councillors agreeing that it should be supported, that it gives much to the village and, through the visitors, benefited other local businesses. 10. Dates of meetings for 2009: The Clerk had listed the dates, mainly the 3rd Monday of each month except April, where the only possibility is the 4th Monday, and with no meeting in August. These will be checked with the Village Hall and then circulated and put up on the boards. It was agreed to take Correspondence next, to allow members of the public to leave afterwards if they so wished, without sitting through the remainder of the meeting. 11. Correspondence: An additional letter from Mrs Jobling was taken first, before those items listed for Councillors. i. Mrs Jobling asked questions about quarry blasting, TV reception and commented on the campsite. It was agreed to reply giving the quarry “problems” number (860411) along with the need to report anything direct with as many details as possible, and the number for TV reception complaints will be put in the next village newsletter and the Clerk will try and keep a central register of complaints. Other items considered were: 414. CDC – Bulky waste service – District Councillor Welch gave some of the background to the review, in particular the current financial situation at Craven DC. The Council agreed that the service is valuable, should be made more user-friendly and able to cope with the level of demand, and that charging should not be introduced. All other items were noted. 12. Renewal of annual insurance policy: The documents have been received but there are still several items which need to be considered to be added. The Clerk will talk to the insurer about adding these items and then bring the information back to a meeting. 13. Burial Ground: A request has been received to place a different type of memorial for some ashes. At the moment, the regulations allow for a plain square stone, flat to the ground; the request is for a sloping stone. The Council agreed to consider this fully and bring the item back to the next meeting. 14. Reports from meetings attended by Councillors and Council Representatives: i. YLCA/CDC liaison – Cllr Fenten reported on the recent meeting which discussed several items including BT phone boxes, car parking, recycling and waste collection, the Settle-Carlisle line and a boundary review. 15. Any Other Matters of Urgent Local Concern: i. Newsletter – Cllr Fleming asked for items for the next newsletter to be received by the end of the month. ii. Parish Caretakers – Information has been received from D Gamble, Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust, about a grant application being put together to fund local works
organised by parish councils. It was agreed to put the matter on the Agenda of the next meeting for consideration. iii. Councillor comment – Cllr Palmer said she had felt pressure and hassled recently over issues, and was not happy about this and felt very upset. Cllr Fenten replied that this was not acceptable and if it continues, then Cllr Palmer must contact either himself or the Chair. 16. Date of next meeting: Confirmed as Monday 15 December 2008, starting at 7pm with Steve Hastie’s presentation.
The meeting closed at 9.20pm