Shri Hariraiji's 84 Vachanmruts
Source: Compiled from the online version posted in the yamna.co.uk satsang mandal Jai Shri Krishna, Please excuse any misunderstandings or confusions as this is a deep subject matter to enjoy... we shall try and put forward basic translations. Please feel free to ask for clarifications. Also, it is a humble request that experienced vaishnavs also elaborate further and contribute toward these understandings. 1. Bhagwatya Vaishnavs Hamesha Maan Ma prasan rahevu, amangal udasintama kyare paan naa rahevu. 2. Shri Thakorji naa mandir ma nitya nautam utsav jan vo. -- 12) Prabhu ke sammukh aprasann hokar kabhi nahi jaana chahiye kyoki anand roop prabhu aprasann ko dekhkar udasin ho jaate hai (this corresponds to 1 and 2 in Gopichandji's points) -- One should always consider that there is a new utsav (celebration) in Thakorji's mandir. -- It follows that, one should never go in front of Prabhu with a sad mind/thoughts, because seeing his dear devotee sad, Prabhu, who is fully anand-swaroop (an image of pure happiness/bilss) also becomes sad. Also, if there is a party/celebration everyday, then one is likely to be excited and happy about the party, especially if the party is in the house of someone we have special affection towards... -- "As it is, Every single day in the life of a Pushti devotee is like a festival because each day is blessed with a new opportunity to serve the Lord." -Credit for this quote (added today which i came across while surfing) goes to www.pushtibhakti.org website 3. Shri Thakorji ne seva koi na bharose na mukvi, aap ne mathe biraj tu Svarup hoy teni Seva aapne potej karvi. 18) Jahan tak ho sake Bhagvat-seva svayam kare. yadi seva me vilambh hota ho to prabhu ko shram na ho iske liye anya ki bhi sahayta le (This corresponds to 3 in Gopichandji's points) -- Where possible one should do the seva oneself. If there is delay in seva then instead of giving shram to Prabhu it is better to seek help from someone else (usually this is someone who is near and dear, like a family member or a fellow vaishnav)
4. Koi No Virodh Na Karvo, Sarve Ne Sathe Mitha Vachano Bolva. -- one should not oppose anyone and when speaking always to use sweet language/words... Generally speaking, this means to say that one should not use harsh language, and to always use words carefully by which they don't cause pain to others. 5. Visay and Trusna No Tyag Karvo -- one should give up unnecessary hankerings, desires for materialistic things (extra sleep, food, etc).
6. Prabhu Ni Seva Bhay Ane Sneh Rakhi Karvi -- one should perform seva/worship with due care and love.. i think the word "Bhay" here means to be very careful in not making mistakes which would cause shram to Thakorji. 7. Apno Deha Anitya Kari Janvo -- One should consider one's body as temporary (means not to worry about pampering it/spoiling it, etc when it comes to Prabhu's seva - but one should also take care of one's health otherwise it would cause hinderance in seva) 8. Vaishnav Na Satsang Ma Rehavu -- one should be in the company of vaishnavs (where possible, as it is not practical to be in the company of vaishnavs all the time) 9. Bhawat Svarup Ane Bhagwatdiya Vaishnav Ne Alag Alag Na Samajva -- i think this is Bhagwat Svarup ... this means to say that one should consider the swaroop/swarup of God and that of the devotee vaishnavs to be the same 10. Apni Budhi Ne Chalaaymaan Na Karvi (Sthir kari ne raakhvi) [ this one was missed out in translation, thanks to an ardent 'anonymous' vaishnav for kindly pointing it out ] - One should keep one's intellect firm/stable (focused) and not let it wander (chalaaymaan). 11. Bhagwat Darshan Ma aadas Na Karvi | - one should not give into laziness in having darshan of Bhagwat (Thakorji or anything related to Him) 12. Bhagwat Darshan Ma aadas Kare to Asuri Bhav Utpan Thai| - From above, if one gives into laziness then this results in the generation of Asuri bhav within us(qualities, such as ignorance, passion, etc) 13. Prashad Thod Levo - One should take the Thod/Thor ? (i think this is Prashad Thodo Levo - take less prashad - means one should not over eat) 14. Nindra Thodi Karvi. - one should sleep in moderation/less and not indulge in over-sleeping 15. Bhavadiye Vaishnav ni Pase Aapne Same Chali Ne Javu | - I think this puts more emphasis on satsang, where one should not hesitate from visiting a devotee vaishnav and actually make a conscious effort to do this, and not necessarily wait for an invitation. 16. Koi Na Upar Krodh Karvo Nahi, Krodh Vade Harday Ma Thi Bhagwat Desh Jato Rahe | - One should not have anger on anyone or perform actions when in angry mood (or allow anger to rule our better judgement)... If one allows negative emotions like anger to stay in the heart then this effectively results in 'goodness' (please clarify or rephrase Bhagwat Desh - it could also mean devotional feelings/emotions ?) leaving our heart
17. Jiyaa Svadharam Virudh Charch Chalti Hoi Tya Maun(Silence) Rehevu | - One should maintain silence in a place where one comes across conversation which is negative and critical towards our personal religion (i.e., pushtimarg). One should not get involved in such meaningless conversations/pointless debates. 18. Avaishnav (non vaishnav) no sang na karvo| - This advise is telling us to choose our companions wisely. Generally speaking those who are not vaishnavs are likely to be materialistic minded and hence will not be of much help in helping us with satsang. Here the caution is that if we occupy ourselves with those who are materialistically minded there is a danger of us forgetting our worship of Thakorji and getting alured by His Maya :) -- this is also referring to the following.... 23) jiska chitt Bhagvat-seva me na lagkar laukik-avesh yukt hi rahe uska sang kabhi bhi nahi karna chahiye 19. Seva ma non-vaishnav ne lavava nahi and Bhagwdiya ni seva karvi ! - Here we are being instructed as above to not involve non-vaishnavs in our seva for similar reasons. However, the emphasis here is that one should not show-off one's most precious possessions to strangers... In this case seva and Thakorji are our most cherished ones. Also Shri Hariraiji has said that if, even accidently a stranger was to have darshan of our Thakorji then we loose the punya equal to that of doing one year's seva. So, this is a very serious issue. 20. Dhairyatra dharan Karvi ! - Here we are advised to have tolerance/patience/perserverence. I guess this is based on the Mahaprabhuji's granth 'Vivek Dhairya Ashray' 21. Man Shri Tahkorji na charanarvind ma rakhi sansar nu kaam karta rahevu ! - One should continue to deal with daily duties (karmic krams) whilst having the heart/mind focused on Shri Thakorji's lotus feet (as this is where the real ultimate destination is). 22. Bhagwadya sathe Nautam bahv rakhi rahevu. ! - One should stay in pleasant manner with the lord's devotees ? 23. Seva ma bkadvaad na karvo ! - When in seva one should not talk excessively/non-related things ? .. please check bkadvaad (vaad means talk) This could be the same as: 21) Ekagrachit hokar Bhagvatseva kare 24. Prasnata thi seva karvi ! - As in the earlier points, when performing seva one should always be in a happy frame of mind 25. Seva kari Shri Thakorji pase this kain pan vastu na magvi ! - One should not request anything from Shri Thakorji in return of Seva (after performing seva). As Seva itself is the fruit and hence more of a reason to be happy that we are being giving this opportunity/benefit by Shri Thakorji, of being able to perform His seva.
26. Shri Thakorjinu naam laine kai pan vastu laviye te Shri Thakorjine pratham dharya baad pote khan pan karvu. - Before accepting/taking anything (kai pan vastu) for one's personal use (such as food, clothing, etc), One should offer it to Shri Thakorji first by calling His name (naam laine). This also emphasises the point that one does not need to be in front of Thakorji in His temple, etc. This is because there is no difference between physical swaroop and His name, they are both divinely identical. Here it is specifically talking about Khaan/Paan - eating and drinking. Where one can be required to socialise, etc so before accepting for oneself, one should offer it to Thakorji and then take the prasadi 27. Man ma bhagvadiya sathe daas bhav rakhvo. - One should always keep the sentiments/feelings of being a daas (servants) of the Bhagvadiyas (vaishnavs) - this is as per the saying "daas no daas" - The bhagvadiyas are direct daas of Thakorji, whilst we are the daas of the daas of the bhagvadiyas 28. Bhagvadiya thi dvesh na rakhvo. - One should not keep conflicting views/attittudes with the Bhagvadiyas/vaishnavs 29. Shri Thakorjino Utsav lop na karvo. - I am not sure of the word "lop" - one should not do lop of Shri Thakorji's Celebration/Festivities (Utsav) (is there a spelling or typing mistake ?) Lop is a gujarati word means Gayab, but here Lop means should not conveniently forget . – Thanks to Hetalji for clarifying this. 30. Bhagvdiyanu smaran hamesha taju rakhvu. - One should always remember the Bhagvadiyas (84/252, etc vaishnavs) fresh in the mind, by remembering their stories, doing chintan and manan etc... 31. Margya riti pramane seva karvi. - One should perform seva (devotional worship) as ordained by the rules/guidelines of the path. 32. Bhagvdiya na chhal chhidra na jova. - One should not 'see' the faults (good/bad behaviour, etc) in a Bhagvadiya/vaishnav. 33. Navin samgri Shri thakorji ne avsya dharvi. - anything new / any new foodstuff should/must definately be offered to Shri Thakorji 34. Priy vastu male to harsh na karvo. - One should not be (should not express too much excitement) over-excited 35. Kai pan nukshani thay tyare dil ma shok karvo nahi. - When one suffers any kind of loss, one should not take it to the heart 36. Sukh dukh sarkha manva. - One should consider happiness and sadness (joy and sorrow) to be the same (be equally balanced in joy and sorrow)
37. Bhagvat varta nitye niyam thi karvi. - One should regularly do Bhagvat Varta (discuss/talk about divine subjects such as stories, leelas, etc) 38. Shri Sarvottamjino path nitya niyamthi karvo, Ae j pushti margiys vaishnavoni gayatri chhe. - Shri Sarvottam Stotram is the "Gayatri" of our path (pushtimarg), hence one should perform this path regularly with discipline (keeping specific times for performing). 39. Shri Yamunashatak aadi grantho no path nitya niyamthi karvo. - One should perform paths of Shri Yamunashtakam and other granths regulary with discipline. 40. Jayanti vrat ane ekadashi vrat avshay karva. - One should definately observe (fasts, etc) celebratory vrats (vaman jayanti, narsimh jayanti, etc) and ekadashi fasts. 41. Pak samgri pvitratathi karvi. - One should prepare samagri with purity (both of mind and body - example one should be in apras and could be reciting the ashtakshar mantra (mind is focused on Thakorji and His leelas, instead of taking part in idle gossip or thinking about other worldly things) when making various preparations) 42. Asamrpit vastu kai pan na levi. - One should not take/accept for personal use anything that has not been offered to Thakorji 43. Man udar rakhvu. - One should keep an open mind/heart 44. Sarvethi mitrata rakhvi. - One should keep the sentiment of friendship with everyone 45. Savdharmarthe tan, man, dhanthi madad karvi. - For the sake of one's own dharma/righteous duty, one should offer help with body (tan), mind(man), and wealth (dhan) 46. Ahanta - mamta chhodi devi. - One should give up on I-ness and My-ness (I and Mine), this is related mainly to attachment to material things (my house, my car, I am this/that, this is my status in life, etc etc). 47. Kshmavant thay ne rehvu. - One should be forgiving 48. Je kai prapt thay tema santosh manvo. - One should be content/satisfied with whatever (little or more) one gets in life 49. Bahar ane bhiter shudhhatathi rehvu. - One should live a clean/pure life, both from inside and outside 50. Aalas rahit rehvu.
- One should not be lazy about aything in life. Without putting off things to do, no matter how trivial or little they may seem, such as doing the dishes, washing clothes, etc.. (a famous quote "kal ka kaam aaj karo aur aaj ka kaam abhi karo" - do tomorrow's work today and today's work now). 51. Koino pakshpat na karvo. (Nyayi thavu.) - One should not take sides of anyone. (one should be just) 52. Sarv bhogadikno tyag karvo. - One should give up on all (unnecesary) attachments of materialistic enjoyment (this is not restricterd to just addictive substances - anything excessive can be an attachment, tea, coffee, smoking etc but also to enjoyment of food (too much jalebi, gathya, drink, clothes, etc..and anything that can be wasteful.) 53. Manma koi vatni ichchha na rakhvi. - One should not keep (have) any desire for anything (this is mainly aimed at materialistic achievements, example: "i wan't/wish a new car/house" etc... ) in the mind. This also goes hand in hand with the story of Raja Bharat who had his mind attached in the baby deer at the last moment of his death, for which he had to take another birth. 54. Sahajma je prapt thay tema aapnu karya karvu. - One should work with (make do) with something that is achieved reasonably easily without over-stressing over it or hankering after it, and without wasting much time/energy over it. 55. Koi vastuma aashkt na thavu. - One should not be attached towards anything (example, car, house, clothes, etc). 56. Satru - mitra vise saman buddhi rakhvi. - One should keep the same (balanced) perception/thought towards both, an enemy and a friend. 57. Asatya bolvu nahi. - One should not speak untruth 58. Koinu apman na karvu. - One should not insult (also applies to negative criticism,etc) anyone 59. Ninda stuti saman kari manvi. - Positive and Negative Criticism should be done with the same belief (so as not to be favouring anyone?). (doing a positive criticism of one could also lead to indirectly insulting another, example, "this person A is better than the other person B" - here we are criticising person B) 60. Sthirta rakhvi. Chitne vas ma rakhvu. - One should keep stillness/be stable. Keep the inner-mind in control (from the famous line...man lobhi man laalchi, man chanchal chit-chor, man ki mati nav chaliye, palak palak man aur) - The following two are aimed at occupying ourself in Thakorji and His seva and to
help us become more detached from the materialistic world (Samsar/Maya) 61. Indriyo vise priti na rakhvi. - One should not be affectionate/loving-attachment towards the senses (sight/eyes, hearing/ears, taste/tongue etc... - by getting attached to them we would not be able to utilise them in Thakorji's seva as they would become contaminated by the material worldly things rough examples.... if the eyes go to the cinema (2-3 hrs wasted - and what we watch affects our mind and thinking) then when will they (the eyes) do darshans, or if the ears hear idle gossip (gossips can go on forever and)then when will they hear hari katha - if any senses are not engaged in Thakorji, sharavanam, bhajanam, smaranam, etc then they are engaged in samsar/maya - according to Shri Mahaprabhuji, even for a moment if one is not doing smaran/kirtan etc - the effects of kaliyug/this time and age will cause problems) 62. Stri - putra - gruh na upar priti na rakhvi. - One should not have (excessive) affection-attachment towards wife, son, house, etc. (This is indirectly implying that our love should be towards Thakorji only having materialistic love, sentiments towards house, children, etc binds us in the samsar and draws us away from Thakorji) 63. Stri - putradiknu sukh(-dukh) aapna (potana) vise mani levu nahi. - One should not consider that the happiness or sorrow being enjoyed or suffered by our spouse/partner (wife/husband), children, etc to be for ourself. Hence, one should not get overly attached to their sorrow or their happiness. Because doing so leads to attachment in samsar/material world and takes us away from Thakorji and His seva. 64. Man ma koi vatno garv karvo nahi. - One should not keep any kind of false pride in the mind. 65. Kutilta rahit rahevu. - One should live simply without any kind of corruption or slyness 66. Mithya bhasan na karvu. - One should not give speeches falsely/unneecessarily (this also implies that one should conserve energy by not talking unnecessarily as this wastes precious energy) 67. Satya bolavu. - One should speak the truth. 68. Shant chit rakhvu. - One should maintain peace within the heart/inner-mind. 69. Prani matr upar dya rakhvi. - One should be compassionate towards all living creatures (any life form, including plant life) 70. akagra chitt thi seva rakhvi. - One should perform/keep seva with one-pointed/focused mind 71. Anthkaran komal rakhvu.
- One should have/keep a soft inner-heart 72. Nindit karya koi pan divas na karvu. - One should not do any such thing which can be subject to criticism/insult. If one is insulted/criticised because of bad work/activity. - indirectly that critisicm is taken on by Thakorji, if we say that we are His Daas/sevaks. (The Swami/Maalik/Boss/Employer becomes responsible for His servant's actions - good or bad - good action leads to the Swami being praised and bad action leads to Him being criticised.) 73 Kshmavant thyne rehvu. - One should always be forgiving in life (live a forgiving life) 74 Mahapurushona chritro vanchva. - One should read stories/biographies/things related to great beings 75 Potana man ma abhiman na karvu. - One should not allow pride to enter mind 76 Koi pan vachanthi bijana man ne dukh thay evu bolvu nahi. - One should not cause pain to others through speech (vaani/vachan). Before speaking anything one should think many times whether it will hurt someone's feelings. 77. Satya hoy ane sambhalnarne priya lage avu vachan kahevu. - One should speak that which is true and that which will be liked to the listener. Both conditions should be met, truth and enjoyable/pleasantwords... if the words don't contain the element of truth then they should not be spoken, likewise if the words are harsh but has truth in them then they should be reworded appropriately so they are not harsh/hurtful. 78. Shri Purushottam Sahstra nam ane Shri Vallabhacharyaji krut granthono path avashya karvo. - One should surely/certainly study Shri Purushottam Shastra Naam and other Granths which are created by Shri Vallabhacharyaji 79. Je kai karvu tenu fal man ma n ichhvu. - One should not think of the final result when performing any action. Example: what will i get if i do ABC. also, as an example, in Bhagvatji, there are many instances where we see statements mentioned, such as: "if one does the paath of this chapter they will get all the happiness, and liberation at the end of life etc.." --- One should not even do these paaths, yagyas, with this kind of desire in mind. Any final outcome of performing such actions, like reading Bhagvatji, or performing yagyas, jap, tap, etc is always for the enjoyment of Thakorji, He is the Yagya Purush and enjoyer of all yagyas... anything we perform for Him is considered as Yagya... anything we do for
ourself out of selfish motives is a hinderance. 80. Shri Thankorjini seva, kirtanne j param fal rup manvu. - One should consider/belive that Shri Thakorji's seva and kirtan are the ultimate topmost fruit 81. Vaishnav mandalima nitya niyamthi javu. Katha-varta nihsank thayne kahiye tatha sambhadiye. - One should go regularly to the gatherings organised by vaishnavs with discipline (regular times, etc) and make a point of narrating/speaking and hearing Bhagvat Kathas, divine stories. 82. Aanyashray kadi n karvo. Anyashray bahu j badhak chhe. tethi anyasharaythi bita rehvu. - One should never do anyashray. Anyashray is a big hinderance, therefore one should constantly be mindful/fearful about doing anyashray. 83. Shri Thakorjine sharnagat rehvu. Bija devatathi koi pan prakarnu fal ichhavu nahi. - One should always live being under total Shelter of Shri Thakorji. One should not request/desire any kind of help from any other gods/goddesses 84. Shri Aacharyaji Mahaprabhuji tatha Shri Gusaiji ane temna vansajoni saman anay koine janva nahi. Emna saman bijane jane to aasuravesh thay ane jivono uddhar thay nahi ema sandeh rakhvo nahi. - One should not compare or consider anyone else at the same level/status as Shri Aacharyaji Mahaprabhuji and Shri Gusaiji and anyone within their lineage. Aa pramane Shri Harirayjina vachnamrutnu anukaran karvathi prani mathra bhakti man thayne Shri prabhu charnarvindne pame chhe. In this way, by following these vachanmruts of Shri Hariraiji, the individual soul acquires devotional mind and obtains the lotus feet of Shri Prabhu