Docstoc

Notulen

Document Sample
Notulen Powered By Docstoc
					Minutes
DATE & PLACE ISSUE DATE REPORTER PRESENT

of

Meeting

Wednesday, 30th August 2006, Aberdeen - Thainstone House hotel 4th September 2006 Alfred Kruijer Ries Langereis (project leader) Scott Higgins (host) Eric Wehner Hugh Parker Sam McFarland Thierry Cassagne Dag Ketil Fredheim Maarten Kuipers John McAuley Tom Golden Tony Bradford Jerry Longmire Mario Schiatti Dave McCalvin Anatoly Baryshnikov Neil Reeve George Huntoon Andy Redford Chris Patriarcha Michel Bretenou David Stewart Shell Global Solutions, NL Cameron, The Netherlands BP, Scotland Cameron, TX - USA Shell, Scotland Shell Global Solutions, NL Total, France Hydro, Norway Mokveld, The Netherlands Vetco, Scotland Halliburton, TX - USA FMC, Scotland Wood Group, TX - USA Agip, Italy Schlumberger, TX -USA Agip, Italy Shell Global Solutions, NL BP, TX-USA API, USA Shell, TX – USA Total, France Shell, The Netherlands

ABSENT

COPY

SUBJECT

KICK-OFF MEETING 4TH REVISION ISO 10423

Opening and safety induction Ries Langereis welcomes everybody. Regrets received from Jerry Longmire (representing AWHEMS). Eric Wehner will represent AWHEMS this meeting. Scott Higgins performed the safety induction.

Individual personal introduction-background Ries Langereis. Ex Shell, now with Cameron. Nominated and accepted as ISO/TC 67/SC 4/WG 3 Project Leader for the 4th revision of ISO 10423. Scott Higgins. BP North sea technical authority Xmas trees. Ex Shell (wells). Now working sub sea side. Sam McFarland. Shell Global Solutions materials and corrosion engineer. Chair of UK branch of NACE. John McAuley. Vetco. Design of surface wellheads.

4c3555fd-da82-43f7-b61a-95af9f847eb4.doc

1

Eric Wehner. Cameron. Ex valve engineering department, now heading quality department. Fifteen years plus involvement with API 6A.. Member of AWHEMS. Alfred Kruijer. Shell Global Solutions standardisation department. Co-ordinates editorial support for this revision of ISO 10423. Tom Golden. Halliburton. Surface Products. Fifteen years plus involvement with API 6A. Member of AWHEMS. Hugh Parker. Shell (SIEP). Took over from Scott Higgins. Previously with Cameron, Vetco, Norsk Hydro, Wood Group &c. Co-ordinated first global specification for wellheads and Xmas trees in Shell based on ISO 10423. It contains a provision for the US to maintain the API Monogram while at the same time endorsing Annex J. Maarten Kuipers. Mokveld materials engineering. Ex research and development department, now heading quality department. Participated in ISO 15848 (fugitive emissions). Tony Bradford. FMC surface and sub sea wellhead engineering. For future work group meetings, another expert from FMC may participate. Dag Ketil Fredheim. Hydro. Technical authority surface wellheads and Xmas trees. Previously with a manufacturer involved with design. Norsk Hydro is now moving to more severe (sour) environments. Thierry Cassagne. Total (Pau, south of France – formerly ELF). Materials and corrosion engineer. In the past worked in Ni-industry (Hayes International). Secretary of the ISO 15156 Maintenance Panel.

Overall project introduction, scope of work Presentation by Ries Langereis:              API 6A start 1947,now 19th version ISO start 1994,now 3rd version-why ISO Realise action activity USA,100 plus participants Legal and competitive forces in API ISO TC 67/SC4/WG3 secretariat is in Washington API is the only institute that audits manufacturing plants after licensing ISO 10423 main body serves as the backbone of both documents ISO positioned in Geneva Based on member countries No commercial background Supported by local standards organisations like BS,NEN,API,DIN Anew version of a standard needs to be balloted/voted and needs a clear majority to pass China and Russia coming on board ISO

Plan of action 2006/2007 Eric Wehner, in his capacity of AWHEMS member, wants to be in a position to present a draft revision of ISO 10423 to the API/SC 6 meeting in June 2007.

4c3555fd-da82-43f7-b61a-95af9f847eb4.doc

2

Current situation USA, AWHEMS Eric Wehner on behalf of Jerry Longmire. AWHEMS took the lead in developing the 19th edition of API 6A. Between 4-8 experts have been involved. Main reason to work through AWHEMS was that they meet on a quarterly basis, whereas API/TC 6 only meets annually. After successful API ballot and subsequent publication, the work group kept finding errors. Also, there are some 5 or 6 unresolved technical comments and in addition, suggestions for a future revision have been made to API for review during their SC6 meeting in June 2007. The same list is offered to the ISO 10423 work group. The AWHEMS work group is as yet undecided whether to continue or to disband. Jerry Longmire and Eric Wehmer will co-ordinate the AWHEMS input. Handout and discussion of first standards up-date Some changes to ISO 10423 based on API 6A 19th edition and AWHEMS suggestions have been implemented in draft. Maarten Kuipers, Eric Wehmer and Scott Higgins will review the changes. Explanation of work process Alfred Kruijer proposed the following ground rules to ensure timely, accurate and complete revisions are made to the document: Backdrop         Needs         Solution Workable document size Distribution lists for drafts Structured input One working file Change tracking Version control and trail Secure filing on backed-up server Continuity during editing phase Large document – large file Range of experts involved Many changes expected Several topics worked in parallel Ping-pong foreseen in accepting/rejecting changes Peak periods when approaching milestones Expensive and valuable experts involved 2-year project

4c3555fd-da82-43f7-b61a-95af9f847eb4.doc

3

        

Document split in two: text/tables and figures Project Manager custodian of team & document Comment Form not dissimilar to ballot form Editors only work on instruction from Project Leader One working file on secure backed-up server “Track Changes” to Base Document only Automatic and unique identification in page footer Quarterly archiving of current drafts & pdf sent One lead editor, plus one back-up for the duration

The work group indicated that size limitations on e-mail attachments may hamper proper receipt of the quarterly updates. The request was made to investigate e.g. Livelink space and access for the workgroup through ISO or Shell.

New NACE implementation The work group decided to have an independent look at how API 6A 19th edition implemented the new ISO 15156. Hangers and stems are indicated to be the main issue. Thierry Cassagne (lead), Sam McFarland and Maarten Kuipers volunteer to take the subject on. A liaison will be established with the ISO 15156 Maintenance panel. Eric Wehner will participate to provide background to all API discussions from the past. Suggested approach is to review remaining issues from the API 6A implementation, to seek comments and problems from the manufacturers regarding practical application of the new ISO 15156, and to present a position paper in the next work group meeting in December.

Forgings vs. Castings ISO 10423 requires forgings for PSL 3 and PSL 4, whereas API 6A allows castings for all PSLs. Some manufacturers have commented that prohibiting castings was restraint of trade, because some customers call for API 6D products manufactured to API 6A PSL requirements. The protest is related to products outside the scope of ISO 10423 or API 6A. No technical or safety justification for the ISO 10423 restriction was available for API staff to use in response. API indicated they can consider adopting the ISO 10423 requirements if persuasive technical and/or safety justification is presented. Justification does not necessarily have to show forgings as clearly superior to or safer than castings. It can be sufficient to show that there are sufficient technical differences that the two are not interchangeable in all applications, and that forgings are preferred. Justification must be presented to API by equipment users or other independent parties; API cannot accept arguments from competing manufacturers to resolve a question of restraint of trade. Alfred Kruijer (lead) and nominations from Hydro, Total BP and Shell will investigate the issue and write a position paper. Maarten Kuipers will try to mobilise Statoil as well. The study will include a discussion on so-called HIPping of castings and a review of the definition of “wrought products”. Suggested approach is to finalise the nominations by mid October, to involve the academia in mapping out the differences with respect to e.g. microstructure, metallic phases, nature and extent of inherent

4c3555fd-da82-43f7-b61a-95af9f847eb4.doc

4

flaws, mechanical properties and resistance to degradation mechanisms. This should be done for all material classes from table 3. Quality control aspects like NDT detection thresholds, detection hit rates should be mapped against acceptance criteria. A position paper should be presented in the December meeting.

Repair and re-manufacture US practice is not to exclusively utilise OEMs for repair or re-manufacture. To avoid protests of restraint to trade, API omitted Annex J from the API adopt-back of ISO 10423. Eric Wehner mentioned that API 6DR now includes a text on repair and re-manufacture that is legally acceptable in the US (Jonathan Jordan from API staff). He will review this text. Shell indicated a wish to maintain the current Annex J. Ries Langereis will liaise with API on the subject and write an A4 position paper by Christmas.

Any other business None. Next meeting Next meeting will held on the 6th of December and will be hosted by Mokveld in Gouda.

4c3555fd-da82-43f7-b61a-95af9f847eb4.doc

5


				
DOCUMENT INFO