Dedham Historical Society July 2004 Newsletter SOCIETY ADDS CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM In a continuing effort to fulfill a major fiduciary responsibility, the Board of Directors voted to expend more than $42,000 to add climate controls in the museum and offices. The Dedham Historical Society headquarters, built in 1886 with a bequest of $10,000 from Hannah Shuttleworth, was considered state of the art when it was built. By today’s standards, however, the building was sadly lacking. Light, temperature and humidity are the greatest enemies of historical artifacts. Unfortunately, upgrading and retrofitting climate control systems is an expensive proposition, especially when one considers that “state of the art” means something entirely different today than what it meant 118 years ago. Over the last two years, the Society has spent nearly $100,000 to address a variety of critical infrastructure needs including a water infiltration problem, re-pointing the brick, and cleaning the exterior of the building. In addition, copper gutter and downspout work has been done. The Board has been talking for years about climate control. The fact that it was badly needed was driven home to us forcefully when we applied for grants and were turned down. Although the Society is highly regarded and has some of the most desirable holdings in the country, it was felt that we weren’t doing enough to protect what we had because we did not have a climate control system in our building. The work is now done, and with just a bit of adjusting it should be exactly what the doctor ordered. NEW DIRECTORS ELECTED At the Annual Meeting on April 25, several new directors and officers were elected. James Kaufman was reelected to a term as President, and Stephen Brayton was elected Vice President. Michael Grogan was elected Director to fill a vacancy created by Brayton’s becoming an officer, and Mark Whalen was reelected Director for a term to expire in 2007. In addition, the following new Directors were elected for three-year terms: William E. Flanagan is a partner in Russell, Brier & Co. LLP, specializing in income and estate taxation. He is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts, Boston and the Suffolk University Law School, and is a member of the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association, the Boston Bar Association, the American Institute of CPAs, the Massachusetts Society of CPAs, and the Boston Estate Planning Council. Interested in historical site trips and tours, Bill has also coached on the Dedham Soccer town teams. He is married to the former Helena T. Carr, and they have four children. Jill Hinchey Shiel is a graduate of Boston University with an M.A. degree in Historic Preservation. She has been an active member of the Society’s Worthington Committee. She is married to Fergus Shiel, and they have four children. NORFOLK & DEDHAM GIVES $10,000 PLUS $10,000 CHALLENGE (photo) Society President Jim Kaufman receives a check in the amount of $10,000 from Tim Hegarty, CEO of Norfolk & Dedham, as Executive Director Ron Frazier looks on. The Norfolk & Dedham Group, led by its CEO, F. Timothy Hegarty, Jr., has given the Society a grant of $10,000 toward the cost of the new climate control system at the Society, and has said that it will give an additional $10,000 if the Society receives $10,000 in matching donations by August. This, of course, means that every dollar donated toward the climate control costs will be worth two dollars. The total cost of the new system was approximately $42,000. Your generous contribution will, in effect, be doubled through the match by Norfolk & Dedham. THE BALL GAME’S IN DEDHAM The Ball Game will be at the Dedham Historical Society during July and August when a private collection owned by Cotty Saltonstall will be on view for all to enjoy. A long-time collector, Saltonstall has an extensive collection that includes uniforms, personally signed photographs and baseballs, bronze statues, baseball cards, unusual prints and much more. Precisely what we can fit in our exhibit space remains to be seen because this Newsletter is going to press before the exhibit is installed. So come to the Society to catch The Ball Game. YOUR DUES ARE DEDUCTIBLE We frequently are asked, “Are my dues tax deductible?” A recent article in the American Association of Museums’ magazine, Museum, in its Law and Ethics feature, answers the question -- and the answer is YES. The article says, “Benefits from membership payments that are $75 or less and consist of rights or privileges that can be ’frequently exercised’ are considered ’insubstantial,’ do not have to be disclosed by the museum, and are fully deductible by the taxpayer. Such frequently exercised and insubstantial benefits include: free or discounted admission to the museum or its events, discounts on purchases from the museum shop, free or discounted admission to member-only events, newsletters of noncommercial quality....” Larger amounts, if accompanied by premiums, are subject to disclosure statements. We do not provide premiums, so there is no concern in this area. Any contributions over $250 definitely require a statement of acknowledgement. It has been our policy to provide such a statement for all contributions prior to depositing the check. The only exception is for dues, unless it is for a life membership, in which case we do provide the aforementioned acknowledgment. SOCIETY PART OF ROADS TO HISTORY The Dedham Historical Society is one of more than two dozen Boston area museums working to provide a series of themed tours on local history, women’s history, industry and innovation, and more. The category in which the Society will participate is Industries of the Past, with an emphasis on Dedham Pottery. The web site and literature will also include information about our clocks and furniture. Details will be included in our next newsletter, including the web site for all the themed tours. MASSACHUSETTS TOWNS IN AMERICAN HISTORY: Using Local Resources to Bring the 17th and 18th Centuries to Life in the Classroom The Massachusetts Studies Project and the Bay State Historical League have announced a Summer 2004 Professional Development Opportunity for Teachers. This 5-day Summer Institute will "localize" the social studies curriculum to teach about America in the 17th and 18th centuries (Colonial through Constitutional eras). Using the MSP "Top Ten Templates for Local History," participants will develop their skills in using primary sources with students – including material objects, diaries and letters, maps, images, newspapers, town records, buildings and cemeteries. Teachers, librarians and education staff of historical societies are warmly invited to register before July 16. Space is limited; please register early to ensure participation. Part of the Institute will take place in the Dedham Historical Society’s newly climatecontrolled building. DETAILS: The Institute will take place August 2-6, 2004 at the Healey Library at UMass, Boston (with a half-day follow-up session to be scheduled). 45 PDPs will be awarded upon completion of the Institute. The registration cost of $125 includes all workshop materials, lunches and field trips. Please register on the Massachusetts Studies Project (MSP) website: www.msp.umb.edu/summer2004/. SOCIETY RECEIVES GRANT FROM DEDHAM WOMEN’S EXCHANGE The board of managers of the Dedham Women’s Exchange has again made a generous donation to the Dedham Historical Society. The Women’s Exchange is a private non-profit organization established for the benefit of Dedham related organizations. Elsie Aubrey, President of the Exchange, noted that the gift was an acknowledgment of the Society’s activities and important work. We thank the Dedham Women’s Exchange for its generosity. If you’re looking for beautifully handcrafted items and unusual gifts, visit the Exchange at 445 Washington Street. New MUSEUM ACQUISITIONS Chelsea Keramic Art Works match holder: Gift of Dr. Joseph Schaffer. Chelsea Keramic Art Works decorative slipper: Gift of Dr. Joseph Schaffer. Plaque awarded to Waldo Sears: Gift of Carol Levita. Katharine Pratt sterling silver coffee pot: Purchase, Collections Fund with additional support from James D. Kaufman. Dedham Pottery charger with central masted ship design: Gift of Dr. Joseph Schaffer. Dedham Pottery grape plate, rabbit plate, nappie bowl, and pitcher, which had belonged to Arthur Worthington: Gift of Louise Daniels. Twenty-six various costumes which had belonged to Adaline Grearson, some of which were from the estate of Alvan Fisher: Gift of the Grearson Family. Alvan Fisher’s easel: Gift of the Grearson Family. Lithograph by Edwin Landseer, which had been owned by Alvan Fisher: Purchase, Collections Fund. Lithograph titled LaGrange, North View by Alvan Fisher: Purchase, Collections Fund. Cowhide trunk owned and monogrammed with Alvan Fisher’s initials, containing hats, one of which was owned by Alvan Fisher: Purchase, Collections Fund. Sheffield silver meat platter covers (2), owned by Alvan Fisher: Purchase, Collections Fund. Rust Craft collector’s plate: Gift of Agnes Walker. NEW LIBRARY ACQUISITIONS Willard’s Patent Time Pieces by Paul J. Foley: Gift of author. Point Subscription: Gift of Carol Sestito. Bemis Family Genealogy: Gift of Carolann Reaves. Pointers – Pursuing Our Italian Names Together – part of subscription donated by Carol Sestito. Guide to NARA: Gift of Sandra Waxman. Women’s Work in New England 1620-1920, Dublin Seminar: Purchase. House and Home, Dublin Seminar: Purchase. Lists of Residents: Names of Women 1931, 1945, 1948, 1949: Gift of Marjorie Kilroy. Lists of Residents: Names of Men 1945, 1948, 1949: Gift of Marjorie Kilroy. Zoning Map 1954: Gift of Marjorie Kilroy. Town of Dedham Registrars 1955, 1956: List of Residents 1950, 1954, 1955, 1956: Gift of Marjorie Kilroy. Emerging from the Shadows, The Dean Family in America: Gift of the authors, Steve and Stacey Fenton. PHOTOGRAPHER JONATHAN GUILD AND HIS LEGACY Periodically we write about individuals who made their mark on Dedham’s past. Much of how we see that past can be attributed to the photography of Jonathan Guild. The Dedham Historical Society owns an important collection of glass plate photographic negatives, most of which Jonathan Guild took in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The collection includes views of Dedham and surrounding towns, as well as images of other locations throughout the country. Through the generosity of the Dedham Visionary Access Corporation, the Society was awarded a grant that has enabled Joan Conklin, Curator of Photographs, to process, reproduce and preserve these historic items. Jonathan Guild was born to George Austin Guild and his wife, Abbie Cobb Guild, on January 23, 1861. George Guild was a watchmaker and jeweler, and his business was located on High Street opposite Memorial Hall in Dedham Square. Abby was the daughter of Jonathan H. Cobb, Registrar of Probate of Norfolk County. (A painting of Cobb hangs at the Society.) The Guilds resided on School Street near Worthington. Their other children were Abby Elizabeth, George Cobb, and Sophia Doggett. Jonathan was listed in the town directories in 1893-1904 as a photographer located at 575 High Street, and lived with his parents at 41 School Street. He later married a widow, Emma Cline Beach, in Tampa, Florida. Her grandson, Harry Kubick, provided some interesting details. The Guilds lived at 47 School Street, which Jonathan purchased. He also owned a duplex on Court Street and property on King’s Court where a dental office is now situated. In the back of the yard at 47 School Street was a wooden structure, which, according to Kubick, measured 8 feet square and served as a hideaway and workshop. Guild was a frugal Yankee and recycled the wood from crates that had held glass into frames for his photographs. Guild was a successful photographer. His studio was located in the post office block at 575 High Street. According to an advertisement in 1896, his specialty was “first class portraits, outside views and groups.” He also did framing to order, and always had photographs of Dedham in stock. He printed and developed work for amateurs. His prices were advertised as the lowest around. According to “Picturesque Boston’s Southern Suburbs,” Jonathan Guild was Dedham’s premier photographer. He used the same space in the Post Office Block that other photographers, the firm of Smith & Beal, had used until the company terminated in 1891. Guild began to use the rooms in 1894. According to the brochure, Guild’s area of expertise was outdoor custom work.