Docstoc

July Minutes 2009

Document Sample
July Minutes 2009 Powered By Docstoc
					July Minutes 2009
Minutes of a meeting of the Riverhead Parish Council held in Riverhead Village Hall at 19.30 hours on Monday, 20 th July 2009.

1. PRESENT:
Mr Massey (Chairman), Mrs Miles, Mrs Walmsley, Mr Colnet, Mr Himsworth, Mrs Mercer, Mr Ward, Mrs Kennett, Mrs Mahadeo. Also present: Cllr London, Cllr Lankester. Apologies for absence: Cllr Brown.

2. MINUTES:
The minutes of the meeting held on Monday, 15 th June had been circulated were approved and signed. Declaration of interest - none

3. REPORTS BY DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS:
John Lankester reported that on July 21 important changes had been made to arrangements for the SDC’s Development Control Committee. Following legal advice and in the interests of fairness, DCC site meetings for planning applications would no longer be open to the public. However at future DCC meetings a representative of the Parish Council would be able to address the Committee for up to 3 minutes on an individual planning application. This would be in addition to the applicant or agent (or one member of the public wishing to speak in favour), the local SDC member(s) and one member of the public wishing to speak against the application. Anyone wishing to speak at a DCC meeting must register their intention with the SDC by 5pm on the day of the meeting.

4. OPEN COUNCIL: 5. MATTERS FOR REPORT
5.1. Highways Maintenance  Montreal Park – It was agreed to put Marlborough Crescent on the ‘wish list’ for KHS resurfacing.  Lakeside Place – Nothing further to report.  Street cleanliness – A working party took place to get rid of weeds, litter and overhanging vegetation on Thursday, 25 th June in the evening attended by Mr Massey, Mrs Walmsley, Mr Colnet, Llewelyn, Mr Himsworth, Mr & Mrs Ward, Mrs Kennett, Mrs Tilbury, Mary Russell. Mr Colnet very kindly cemented the flower troughs. The following morning Mr Massey visited all the business premises advising them that the area had been cleared by volunteers and asking them to keep their frontages tidy in the future. They all agreed to cooperate.  Grass verge – Mr Massey, Mr Himsworth & Mr Ward will undertake the overhanging trees from the Parkland onto the grass verge at Brittains Lane if we decide not to ask Down to Earth to

MJM/CH/JW

1

 EW/KHS CK/EW EW/MJM KHS  



CK



JW/CH/MJM KHS



CK EW/KHS

   

EW/KHS

All councillors

AC CH

 

do it. Gullies – We still are awaiting the report from Alison Lewis, Kent Highways. Mrs Walmsley will endeavour to get a copy of this for our September meeting. Shrub bed and planters – the planters along Rivercourt need to be deadheaded on a regular basis. Bus shelter on Aisher Way – Mr Himsworth went into the Tesco store to report the state of the shelter and was told they would not clean it as it did not belong to them. A further letter of complaint has appeared in the Chronicle. Following the KHS meeting of the 15th July Mr Malcolm Appleby will look into the possibility of including the bus shelter in the Tesco 106 Agreement as it could be included in the bus services category. Cllr London may support a scheme like this from his grant allocation. A meeting with Mr Gellatly of Tesco is still to be arranged. Traffic lights at Witches Lane – these lights are interactive and will only operate when cars exit the school which won’t be during the summer holidays as cars will not be able to enter the school grounds. East facing slip road – A letter was sent to the District & County Councillors asking them to press for a traffic flow survey. We await a response. Cllr Brown and Cllr Lankester have sent their e.mails supporting the council. Flooding at the hole in the wall – An inspection has been carried out by KHS and they inform us that the problem is on our land. The ditch behind the wall needs to be cleaned on a regular basis but if this does not remedy the situation four new gullies may be installed as well as a soakaway in Brittains Lane opposite the hole in the wall entrance on Sevenoaks Town Council land. Mr Ward, Mr Himsworth and Mr Massey will meet on the 11th to start clearance work. Salt bin at the top of St Mary’s Drive – we await the installation. Missing Railings – Mr Malcolm Appleby will look into the legal aspects of the access to Cotons and whether or not it will be possible to reinstate the curb and continue the railings. Mr Malcolm Appleby will check with Mr Steven Noad regarding the extension of new railings outside Batchelors. Barrier Baskets – Mrs Kennett has obtained a Permission Agreement from Mr Tony Ham which has been filed. (Mrs Kennett found that permission is not actually required). These have been installed by Mrs Kennett, Mr Colnet, Mrs Walmsley and Mr Massey. These will be watered by Llewelyn Colnet and the flowers will be dead headed regularly by councillors. The clerk undertook this on 12th July. We have had many compliments about these. Bin on corner of Brittains Lane – this has been installed and a thank you letter was sent to Dunbrik. Mr Colnet has acquired some chain link fence for the pocket garden. This will be installed soon.

2

EW EW/KHS

  









   



Mr Himsworth has requested a quotation to stain the bench under The Heights. This and the Jubilee bench are in need of staining. There was a Joint Transportation meeting on the 15 th July and the minutes are awaited. A meeting was held with Mrs Cindy Pankhurst of Teddies Nurseries who is seeking SLOW DOWN measures outside the nursery. Mr Massey, Mrs Walmsley and the Sevenoaks Chronicle attended with a parent. She complains of speeding traffic and would like the parish council support her. We said that the pedestrian crossing appears to be a non-starter as this had been refused previously on safety issues. Mr Appleby will look into the possibility of speed calming measures on Amherst Hill and this will now become a matter for Teddies and KHS to deal with. Mrs Walmsley has given the contact details over to Teddies. An article appeared in the Sevenoaks Chronicle. Complaints have been received from residents in Montreal Road and others about an obnoxious smell emanating from the Harvester. A letter has been sent to the Environmental Officer at SDC. We have received a letter from SDC dated 16 th July saying that there is currently a heavy demand for this service and there could be some delay before it is investigated. We are asked to advise them if the situation changes in any way. We have been informed that temporary road closures to enable resurfacing works to be carried out. It involves the A224 between Aisher Way and Maidstone Road commencing on the 20t h July and ending on the 24th July from 8pm until 5am and Brittains Lane commencing 27 th July until 4th August during the day. We have asked KHS the cost of architectural railings for outside the village hall. Mrs Walmsley will chase this up and the grant form from Cllr London will be sent off to Mr Tom Phillips as soon as possible. Ms Lois Dixon wrote to thank us for the pocket garden seat ceremony and sent us a donation of £50.00 which we have used to purchase a pot and shrub. Also Mr Patrick Dixon sent us a letter of thanks. Kent Probation service asked us if we are using offenders under the community payback scheme. Mrs Walmsley will consider using them to paint the bus shelters. Mrs Walmlsey is looking into artificial grass for the area under The Heights. We await the quotation. Miss Marson has varnished the noticeboard along White Hart Parade. Cllr Brown has written to Mr Alan Ash, Local Transport and Development Manager of Kent Highways asking him to expedite a traffic survey for the east facing sliproads. Mr Ash has said that he will raise it with the Highways Agency shortly and will keep Cllr Brown informed. Mr Appleby will ask SDC to investigate the positioning of the parking bays on Amherst Hill outside Teddies and the cottages.

3

This follows complaints by residents of Montreal Road that they have problems exiting left from their road.  We have requested that the roundabouts be painted in a more suitable way so that they are more visible and have a long durability.  Flooding in centre of the village – This was raised at the KHS meeting and their report is awaited. A number of problems were highlighted: a. Ditches need to be cleaned at Cade House. b. A couple of pipes need to be looked at behind the shops in The Square and the Harvester. c. A brick culvert is blocked with silt. d. BT has a trench that has gone through a pipe opposite Batchelors. e. A BT duct is contributing to the flooding at Batchelors. It was agreed to ask KHS to resurface Marlborough Crescent and Hamlin Road. 5.2. Parkland & New Parkland  Mr Massey spoke to Mr David Porter regarding the weak fence at the entrance to the car park in St Mary’s Drive. It now transpires that the fence was erected by the council when the parkland was acquired in the 1970s. It was done at Mr Porter’s father’s request for privacy reasons. As it would be quite a major job to repair the fence and as it is not actually falling down we agreed that nothing will be done for the time being.  We have now received the report from Down to Earth for the biennial safety inspection. In the meantime Mr Massey has arranged for a site meeting on 31 st July at 9.30am with Mr Ward and Mr Himsworth.  Mr Ward is still to speak to Alan Davies about the scrub clearance.  Mr Williams has cut the grass in the old parkland. A representative from Kent Men of the Trees when visiting the site said that she considered that we have cut the grass at least one month too early as it was depriving butterflies of their natural feeding. She recommends that in future we leave the cutting to mid/late August. This will be put on the calendar for future years.  Kent Men of the Trees also recommended that stakes for newly planted trees are removed after two years. Mr Ward, Mr Himsworth and Mr Massey removed the stakes on 14 th July.  Mr Ward, Mr Himsworth and Mr Massey gave a second coat of varnish to the wooden bridge. They also watered four young trees.  Mr Himsworth and Mr Massey cut back some of the ivy which has grown on trees along the stream. Further work needs to be done.  A letter has been received from Mr Vanns of Montreal Road asking whether it is possible to purchase some land in the Parkland so that he would gain a right of way to enable his children to walk to the schools. A reply will be sent to him that no land is available.

MJM/CH/JW

JW

Clerk

CH/JW/MJM

Clerk

4

CH/JW

MJM

MJM

EW/KHS

AC AC

AC/CK

5.3. Trees  Rowan tree and copper plaque should now be ordered for delivery in October to be planted in the Parkland.  On July 9th Mr Massey accompanied two representatives of Kent Men of Trees to judge Trees in Your Village Competition. Their report is expected in September. The also pointed out that the trees in the Harvester car park are not Beech but are Hornbeams. We need to ascertain if this is correct when we make the order from Wyevale.  We have asked Les Jones to ascertain whether the large tree in London Road close to Maidstone Road outside the Red House is subject to a TPO. We have also asked him to let us have a map showing all the TPOs in Riverhead.  The dead tree outside Lancaster Garage on the grass verge opposite Tesco has been reported to KHS. We have asked if it could be replaced. Mrs Walmsley will speak to Sue Ireland.  The plaques that we had on each of the three new trees have been stolen. 5.4. Village Hall  Hall emergency lighting was checked and found to be in working order.  The warning beeper on the fire alarm system was tested and found to sound.  The alarm in the disabled toilet was functioning.  First aid box was checked.  Fire exists checked.  Mr Oakham was upset over our letter requesting insurance and inland revenue details. He has provided the insurance details and assures us that he pays his taxes.  Mr Logan was also upset over the same matters and has no public liability insurance. Mr Massey ascertained from our insurers Allianz that third parties will be covered under our policy but not Mr Logan himself. He now will be decorating on the 24 th August. He should also be asked to change the strip lights as he usually does at this time of year and to remove the balloons around the fans.  We have accepted the quotation from Dunton Green Carpets for £350.00 for the carpeting of the office and committee room. If remedial to the floors is needed then this will be an additional £160.00. This will commence on Tuesday, 11 th August.  A gate has been acquired and Mr Colnet will arrange for the fixings to take place over the summer months.  Village hall chairs – We have received an estimate for cleaning the chairs from Double Dutch Ltd for a total of £154 for seventy chairs, subject to final confirmation on sight of chairs. Mr Colnet to arrange this.  Mrs Kennett, Mr Colnet and Mr Massey met with Mr Alan Davies,

5

IM

IM IM

IM

IM

the gardener on the 30 th June. He has been reminded of his duties and has also been asked to carry out some additional extra work as soon as possible. A letter setting out his job description has been sent to him and we await his comments and quotation.  We have asked for a quotation to have artificial grass laid on the garden at the village hall. This would mean that the gardeners duties would be substantially reduced. 5.5. Allotments  We await a response from Mrs Rose Pyne regarding the clearance of the public footpath by the scouts.  Mrs Mercer has obtained an alternative quotation for the two concrete bases in the sum of £500 compared with £990. This has been accepted.  Mrs Mercer has ordered two sheds at a cost of £478.62 which will be delivered to her property on the 10 th August.  Mrs Mercer will ask that the same person to put the sheds up on both sites at a cost of about £200 and at the same time to install the noticeboard.  One of the allotment holders that we wrote to regarding the upkeep of her site has moved away from Riverhead and her plot is now available. We have since let half of the plot to a resident on Aisher Way.  A months notice has been given to Mrs Maasland and this expires on the 22 nd July. A phone call was received on Friday, 17th July informing us that she has cultivated the plot with permanent planting. Mrs Mercer will check on this.  Mrs Mercer will ask Mr Chris Stewart if he would be interested in clearing the area in the middle of Broadmead rather than hiring a skip.  Mrs Taylor from Northview, Hawthorn Lane has emailed to complain about ‘speeding’ cars going past her house to get to Broadmead allotment. Mrs Mercer has been asked to look in to the question of vehicular rights of way along Hawthorn Lane as it is a private road. Mrs Batchelor has informed us that on the Land Registry records this road is shown as having ‘restricted access’ she gave us an e.mail address to check this which has been passed to Mrs Mercer. We have received a subsequent e.mail from Mrs Taylor referring to our website in which it states that the allotments are fenced and are reached from Heathfield Road. She believes that if Heathfield Road was fenced it would solve her problem. She also considers that the turning bay which takes up half of an uncultivated plot should not be used as a car turning/parking bay and should be cultivated thereby stopping vehicles driving onto the allotment garden via Hawthorn Lane.  Mr Simon Wallis will be removing the Christmas tree on his plot and will be cultivating his plot. Mrs Mercer will check on this.

6

5.6. Footpaths Nothing further to report. 5.7. Public Transport Nothing further to report. 5.8. Vandalism It was reported that food has been thrown at the Cotons eatery wall adjacent to White Hart Parade and at the road sign to one side. Mr Massey asked them to report the matter to the police. Cotons have advised us that the perpetrator who lives in a flat in White Hart Parade has written an apology to them.  It was reported by Cllr London that graffiti was sprayed on various properties in the village over the weekend. This was reported to the police and photographic evidence should be obtained. 5.9. Streetlighting  Two new lamps have been ordered from T & S Lighting to replace those in Marlborough Crescent and St Mary’s Drive.  We still await the quotation from T & S Lighting for the painting of the posts that EDF did not fulfil.  An e.mail has been sent to EDF to chase them about a refund for the unpainted posts. 5.10. Church Review/Parish Information Sheet/Website Information £40.00 has been sent to St Mary’s Church for our articles which appear in The Review. 5.11. Kent Police Authority Kent Police have sent us details of their website for accessing their Policing Kent 2009-2012 Plan. 5.12. Riverhead Infants School  Mr Massey & Mrs Walmsley attended the Guinness Book of Records walking bus on Wednesday, 17th June. Letters of thanks were received by both councillors.  Mrs Russell has given us a copy of Riverhead PTA Newsletter Summer 2009. 5.13 Scouts Mr Himsworth has recommended that a tree safety survey is carried out on the scout site. Mrs Mercer has been asked to contact Down to Earth. We have requested the scouts rent for the year of £65.98. Mrs Mercer is meeting Down to Earth to carry out a safety inspection of the trees on 6 th August. Carnival arrangements for the 20 th September:Setting up – Alan, John, Alison Manning the stall – All councillors and Mrs Russell. Judging competition – Mr Massey and the clerk. Taking down – Alan, John, Alison

CH

7

JW

MM

5.14. Clerk’s Office  Members’ were asked if they had any updated information to add to the Register of Interests.  The finance committee meeting was held on the 7 th July. Present Mr Massey, Mr Himsworth, Mrs Mercer and RFO Mrs Tilbury. Mr Massey proposed that Mr Himsworth should be new chairman and he was elected unanimously.  The archives were returned by Mr Tim Francis and have been stored in the loft.  Community Retailer 2009 – Mr Ward has agreed to attend on behalf of the council at Ashford on the 1 st September. This is because our nominee Mr Graham Batchelor is in the final six.  We have received a Draft Statement of Licensing Policy for the Gambling Act 2005. Comments are needed by 31 st August.  We have received dates for a series of Code of Conduct workshops from September-January 2010. The sessions take place on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons between 2-4pm at SDC.  An invitation has been received from the Kent Downs AONB Unit on Friday, 31 st July at 12.15-4.30 at Godmersham Park, Canterbury.  We have been informed by KALC that Charles Arnold-Baker has passed away.  One of our residents Mr Stan Hathway, Barnfield Roadreached his 100th birthday and we have been thanked for the card that was sent.  We have received a letter from Patrick Dixon thanking us for the arrangements made for the installation of the seat in the Pocket Garden.  Mr Massey and the clerk will be attending the Chairman of the SDCs Civic Service on 27 th September at St Mary’s Church.  The clerk will be attending a lunch with a tour of the contact centre and the CCTV room on 9 th October.  Mrs Miles will get convenient dates when everyone can enjoy a walk in our parish. 5.15 Riverhead Conservation Report  3 The Square – Nothing further to report.  2 The Square – Scaffolding has been erected on the 12 th July. It is understood that painting work will take approximately five days which will include the central door between 2 and 3. Mrs Miles has e.mailed Mrs Addie Thomas of Day Lewis Plc with a request that the central door is painted black rather than white and that they clear the vegetation growing on the roof. This has since taken place. A planning application form to replace the main door and shop window will be submitted soon. Mrs Miles reported that Day Lewis Opticians will also be painting the shop frontage of their premises soon.  English Heritage have confirmed that our application for these

8

  



buildings to be listed has been forwarded to one of their advisors who will now begin the assessment of the buildings which will inform our advice to the Secretary of State. White Hart Parade façade has been painted. YesterYear property has had the side wall painted by our noticeboard. We have received information on how to get buildings listed. Mr Massey and Mrs Miles attended the Sustainable Community Plan at Sevenoaks Community Centre on Tuesday, 28 th July between 1-3pm. Sandwiches will be available from 12.30pm. The workshop will identify priorities for new community action plan that can be supported by Town and Parish Councils. Mrs Miles has responded to the Draft Riverhead Conservation Area Appraisal.

6. NOTIFIED ITEMS
The new Standing Orders had been handed out before the meeting and were formally adopted. Mrs Mercer proposed that two small push lawn mowers are purchased for IM both allotments at a cost of £50.00. This was seconded by Mrs Kennett and all were in agreement. Mr Massey proposed the setting up of a new committee to be known as MJM/IM/MM, Riverhead Improvements. This was seconded by Mr Himsworth and CK/EW agreed. The first meeting to be held on Wednesday, 2 nd September at 7.30pm. Committee Members are Mr Massey, Mrs Mercer, Mrs Miles, Mrs Kennett/Walmsley and the clerk will attend. Mr Massey will send out an agenda.

7. CORRESPONDENCE & REPORTS FROM COMMITTEES
Planning  Mrs Miles queried the lack of planning applications since May and has been informed that this is representative of the reduction in applications across the district which shows that there were 27% fewer applications for the first quarter of 2009 compared with 2008. We have since received four applications.  We have received details of new arrangements regarding planning appeals. Existing paper booklets have been replaced by electronic booklets.  Former Police Station – Revised application for 52 dwellings has now been approved by SDC – committee decision – subject to numerous conditions.  Fort Halstead – Mrs Miles attended the recent meeting and no planning application has been submitted. SDC say the site is not needed to fulfil imposed housing land targets – Hines are challenging this. Also it is not a sustainable development. The number of houses proposed fluctuate between 750-900 houses plus a large amount of commercial space. KCC say that they will not commission their own traffic impact assessment but will examine the ‘independent’ assessment to be submitted by Hines.

9

We should consider submitting Section 106 claims for Riverhead. 1. SE/09/01236/REM – West Kent Cold Storage, Rye Lane Details of Phase 1 2. SE/09/01313/FUL – 56 Marlborough Crescent Consultation - Demolition of existing conservatory and erection of single storey extension to rear of property. 3. SE/09/01299/FUL – 28 Witches Lane Consultation – Erection of 2 storey rear extension, increase in ridge roof height and increase to height of chimney. Replacement front porch and erection of 2 front dormers and 2 rear dormer windows. Re-submission of SE/09/00194/FUL. 4. SE/09/01238/OUT – Land adjacent to 10 Cranmer Road Consultation – Erection of a two storey residential dwelling comprising 2 x 2 bedroom apartments. 5. SE/09/00611/FUL – Tesco Stores Ltd, Aisher Way Withdrawn – Creation of enclosed lobby area to entrance. 6. SE/09/00371/FUL – 34 London Road Granted – Demolish single storey building to rear and erect a two storey extension to rear. 7. SE/09/00695/ADV – Harvester, Amherst Hill Refused – The retention of 1 No new post sign externally illuminated.

8. CORRESPONDENCE

10


				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:5
posted:11/25/2009
language:English
pages:10