Airline Online Distribution Emirates
4th May 2005
Emirates and Online Distribution
• • • • •
As a global carrier, Emirates has seen and acknowledged the impact of the internet on our distribution channels. Our main objective is to provide an additional sales channel for customers who wish to interact with us via the internet. However, it is important to balance our online offering with our other sales channels. Internet distribution covers all online sales via Emirates.com and online travel agent portals. The key benefit to Emirates is the opportunity to lower our interaction costs across all customer segments.
Emirates e-Commerce today
• • • • • • Bespoke Internet booking engine integrated with airline reservation system using a Datalex platform. Online booking available from 33 countries in 5 languages, supported by individual country sites. 4 easy and convenient ticketing options including e-Ticketing. A secure payment gateway (BIBIT). Average of 1.5 million unique visitors per month 76% of our visitors ranked the site very good or excellent
10% average revenue growth each month since April 2003
Top 5 online booking markets UAE UK Australia Germany New Zealand
Top 5 sectors DXB-LON DXB-JFK MEL-AKL DXB-BKK DXB-DOH
Travel planning and booking
Online booking Retrieve a booking Skywards online redemption Flight schedules and status Emirates contact information Emirates value-add offers Monthly special fare offers Destination offers Promotion via email & online marketing as well as traditional channels
Special offer promotion
Traveller information Future enhancements
Additional languages - including Arabic Online check-in Improved self-service functionality Ancillary services booking Holidays
Dubai and the UAE information Emirates product and airport information Skywards membership
Word of mouth Advertisement in paper/outdoor Using a search engine 32% 30% 29% 28% 24% 26% 26% 28% 25% 23% 24% 23% 21% 22% 23% 23% 13% Via Skywards website 11% 11% 13% 13% 13% 12% 13% 19% 22% 20%
TV advertisement / cinema
The word of mouth is increasing as an influence to visit emirates.com
Repeat versus first time visitors to Emirates.com
30% 45% 36% 29% 10% 24% 27% 20% 20% 10% 0% Australia UK UAE India US 28% 25%
Attracting more repeat online customers across all markets
Differing travel behaviour of Emirates.com customers
EK 15% 24% 8% 5% 18% 27%
A destination within my own country
Online customers are predominantly long and medium haul travellers
Emirates Online target segments
Different Customer segments require different online products and services.
• Need to provide an interactive journey management service online. • Customer requirements differ per market for self service solutions. • Online service adoption has increased substantially for all online products. • An opportunity to drive down cost in our Call Centres.
• Servicing of Corporate Travellers and Corporate Accounts are becoming more complex as the Emirates network grows. • Opportunity exists to service these customers and their fulfilment agents more effectively. • Reporting, online check-in, seat selection etc.
• The Travel Agent remains an important distribution partner. • Need to develop new and innovative online services to service the agent. • A new Online Travel Agents portal has been launched to service the trade more efficiently and at a lower cost base.
Emirates Travel Agent online
Provide the Emirates Travel Agent with a one stop local website to for reference, interaction and transaction with Emirates.
• Launched in Australia and UAE and soon in other primary markets. • 5 Modules to the product:
1. Information 2. Register and update details 3. Download all local policies and procedures 4. Broadcast of all local promotions and offers, including private offers 5. Emirates local and Network news
• Roll out to all Emirates markets globally • Ownership by the local Emirates stations to ensure usage and relevance to the market • Implementation of interactive solutions for Agents to lower their interaction cost with Emirates
Increasing business coming from Online Agents
Emirates is actively pursuing relationships with online Travel Agents as customer expectations are that Emirates needs to be visible and competitive.
• • • • • CENDANT Price line ORBITZ Travelocity EXPEDIA • • • • •
Opodo Travelocity E-Bookers Lastminute Go Voyage
• Priceline • ZUJI
• Travel.com.au • ZUJI • Web-jet
• Emirates does not differentiate between Online and Traditional Travel Agents. • Partnerships are evaluated based on local market share, ability to drive volume, strong customer base and marketing power.
Self-service – the way forward
• • High adoption of self-service channels across many industries Online self-service solutions enable the customer to take control of their own travel requirements when it suits them Customers are demanding the same from airlines, this is evidenced by a massive increased usage of Emirates online services Expansion of Emirates online will focus primarily on meeting this demand and empowering our customers to chose how they wish to deal with us
Look for and compare fares
Check flight availability
Access FFP account information
Look for a specific fare/discount I saw adv.
Check for flight status
Global travel distribution is changing. The internet has become an integral part of airline distribution channels. This change is developing at different speeds across our markets and Emirates is tailoring its’ strategy to meet these needs. Emirates is well positioned to further capitalise on the growth of the internet and changes in consumer purchasing behaviour.
Manager E-Commerce Emirates