Guide to France 01 by forrests




Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in our Country Guides is accurate at the time of going to press, but neither The University of Manchester nor any individual employees thereof can take any responsibility for any errors or omissions. Views, where expressed, are those of the contributors, and are not necessarily those of the University. Please send any comments or suggestions to: Helen McHugh Erasmus Coordinator Study Abroad Unit International Development Division The University of Manchester Oxford Road Manchester M13 9PL e-mail: 2007, The University of Manchester. Adapted and updated from the original guide published by the University of Sussex


Contents Introduction ..................................................................................................................................................... 3 Accommodation in Manchester…………………………………………………………………………….…..3 Getting There.... ............................................................................................................................................... 4 Useful UK Travel Websites ................................................................................................................. 5 Driving Abroad .....................................................................................................................................6 Packing and freight .............................................................................................................................. 7 Your Passport.................................................................................................................................................. 7 Immigration ..................................................................................................................................................... 7 Insurance.......................................................................................................................................................... 8 Voting ............................................................................................................................................................... 9 Money Matters Grants and Loans ................................................................................................................................ 9 Benefits entitlements ........................................................................................................................... 14 Making the most of your money whilst abroad .................................................................................... 15 Health and Well-Being ...................................................................................................................................17 Upon Arrival Abroad ......................................................................................................................................18 Adjusting to Life Abroad ...................................................................................................................... 187 Police Registration .............................................................................................................................. 18 Finding Somewhere to Stay ................................................................................................................ 19 Private Accommodation ...................................................................................................................... 21 The French University System...................................................................................................................... 25 Student Services .................................................................................................................................29 Mature students ...................................................................................................................................29 Libraries ............................................................................................................................................... 30

Paying Your Way ............................................................................................................................................ 33 French Banks ......................................................................................................................................34 Employment.........................................................................................................................................35

Travel within France .......................................................................................................................................38

Post and Telephones ......................................................................................................................................41

Safety and Welfare .......................................................................................................................................... 41

Useful Contact Details and Websites........................................................................................................... 42 Checklist .......................................................................................................................................................... 50 Appendices ...................................................................................................................................................... 52 Certificate of Attendance ..................................................................................................................... 52 Erasmus Student Contractt ................................................................................................................. 53


Introduction A period of study abroad is probably one of the most challenging opportunities that a student undertakes during their university life. It is also one of the most demanding. This guide aims to take the stress out of the practical planning before you go and to offer some helpful guidelines on how to survive when you get there. Although it does not contain specific information about the particular university at which you will be studying, it provides you with a basic framework of the essential information you will need to live and study while you are away. While the information contained in this booklet is applicable to students from a UK institute of higher education, much of it will be of use to students in general. Also, whilst some of the information may apply to everyone, the rest will vary according to individual circumstances. Bureaucracy is probably the worst obstacle to overcome - it is important to note that the way in which the system works varies to a certain extent at a regional level, and what is true for one part of your host country is not necessarily true for another. However, this booklet contains much information which cannot be found in any of the official guides, and will hopefully prove very useful. Additional reading that may be helpful can be found in the Let’s Go Guide, Lonely Planet Guide or Rough Guide (prices range from £13 - £16). The ISIC handbook also provides useful information on travelling in Europe. For more information on general practical matters, from public holidays to motorway tolls, contact the Fédération Nationale des Offices de Tourisme et Syndicats d‟Initiative de France (FNOTSI), Accommodation in Manchester If you are only going abroad for one semester you will need to consider what will happen to your room in Manchester for the other semester. Can you afford to pay rent for the full year when you‟ll only be there for half the year? You may wish to either look for a room for one semester only, or take a full year lease and then advertise your room. If you wish to do the latter you will need to first discuss this with your housemates and landlord in case they have any objections. A useful site to both look for and advertise a room is the Manchester Student Homes website They have a special message board section devoted to shorterterm rentals. If you wish to advertise your room to incoming Erasmus (European) exchange students, you should first discuss this with your housemates in case they have any objections. Since Erasmus students are not guaranteed a room at Manchester, they will often be looking for short-term private accommodation. If you decide to advertise your room through the Study Abroad Unit (SAU), please forward the details of your room to the Study Abroad Assistant, Miss Zaba Ihsan - so that she can pass the details on to any interested students.

University of Manchester Accommodation University of Manchester Accommodation is only guaranteed to International students from outside of the EU. Disabled students will also be given priority in the allocation of rooms. All other students may apply for a room, but should be prepared to make other arrangements in case they are not successful. The application form and further details can be found on the Accommodation Office website:  Students wanting a room for Semester 2 only If you are going abroad for Semester 1 only and wish to apply for accommodation in a Manchester hall of residence for Semester 2, you should submit a paper application form as soon as possible. The official deadline was 13th February 2007, but the Accommodation Office can accept later applications. Obviously the later you submit the less chance of


success you will have. / November 2007. 

You will not hear back from the Accommodation Office until October

Students wanting a room for Semester 1 only If you are going abroad for Semester 2 only and wish to apply for accommodation in a Manchester hall of residence for Semester 1, you should be aware that there is a much higher demand for spaces in university rooms in Semester 1 than Semester 2, so you are much less likely to be allocated a space. However, if you would like to apply you should submit a paper application form as soon as possible. The official deadline was 13th February 2007, but the Accommodation Office can accept later applications. Obviously the later you submit, the less chance of success you will have. You will be notified if you have been successfully allocated a room in March 2007 or later depending on when you submit your application. Students wanting a room for their final year at Manchester If you wish to apply for accommodation in a Manchester hall of residence for your final/third year, you will need to submit an online application form before mid-Feb 2008 (see website for exact deadline). You will be notified if you have been successfully allocated a room in March 2008.


Getting There....
The method of travel to and from your host destination will obviously depend on where you are going. You may wish to take a train or coach if the distance is relatively small, but the majority of students prefer to fly out, especially at the beginning of the year, because it is easier. A disadvantage with flying is that you are limited as to the amount of baggage you can take with you – check your airline to find out what the weight limit is for hand and hold luggage. Be warned that charges for excess baggage are very high!

ISIC card It is worth investing in an International Student Identity Card (£7), which is internationally recognised, to guarantee you cheap fares wherever you are. With an ISIC card you can purchase discounted flights and train tickets from STA Travel, as well as obtaining discounts across Europe and 70% discounted international calls. You can buy the card from STA Travel. There are two branches of STA in Manchester- Student Union Building, Manchester Academy, 14a Oxford Road and 75, Deansgate in the city centre. See: for more information. For more information, including specific details of what discounts you can obtain in each country/city abroad please see the ISIC website at:

By Air - Budget Airlines There are an increasing number of budget airlines offering cheap flights to Europe. To get the cheapest deals you‟ll generally need to fly mid-week (Tues – Thurs) and book well in advance. The disadvantage with budget airlines is that they are not as flexible and may have greater restrictions on how much baggage you can take with you. They also sometimes fly to smaller airports further away from the city centre - necessitating a long journey by bus or taxi once you arrive. Budget airlines you may wish to investigate include: Air Berlin (to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and from London Spain)


BMI Baby Easyjet FlyBe Jet 2 Ryan Air Thompson Fly

By Air - Standard Airlines The advantage of taking a standard airline rather than a budget airline is that tickets are changeable and refundable (usually subject to an administration fee). Also the luggage limits tend to be slightly higher than for the budget companies. STA Travel offers a student discount on airfares if you have an ISIC card (see above).

By Coach Eurolines (who are part of National Express Coaches) run coaches from Victoria coach station to over 250 destinations in Europe. Under 26s can get discounted tickets but even the full fare is relatively inexpensive. There are Eurolines agents in most large towns and you may find this a cheap way of travelling home after your initial journey. Reservations can also be made through any National Express office. Delta Travel in the University Precinct on Oxford Road is the nearest National Express agent. Tel: (0161) 274 4444 Eurolines open-dated return tickets are valid for up to six months. Luggage is limited to two medium sized suitcases per person, plus one piece of hand luggage on all services. Tickets can be cancelled or altered for an administration fee.

By Train Euro Railways specialise in youth rail travel in Europe and have discounts for those under 26. Prices include channel crossing by ferry, with the return journey valid for 2 months and the added option of breaking the journey and stopping off anywhere en route. Ticket prices are usually cheaper than flying but considerably higher than for travelling by coach. If you have a long journey then it is usually better to book a couchette or sleeping compartment. These are not very expensive and you are guaranteed greater comfort. Ask the travel agent to book one for you when you buy your ticket. Please note STA Travel offer Eurostar only. Delta does issue train tickets. Useful UK Travel Websites Useful websites Delta Travel Eurolines Euro Railways Flight Centre ISIC National Express STA Travel

For information on any airline, simply type: www.airline


Driving abroad The AA have a very useful website about Continental driving requirements which outlines country by country the motoring laws for Europe, compulsory documents you need to have with you in the car and a guide to toll roads in each country. See: If your car satisfies the construction and user regulations in its own country (MOT etc.), it can be driven elsewhere in Europe. If the car you are intending to drive is not registered in your name you are advised to carry a letter of authorisation with you. Please note that it is obligatory to display a „GB‟ sticker on the rear of your vehicle and to adjust the headlamp beam pattern to suit driving on the right so that the dipped beam doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers. Make sure you find out about the laws and restrictions in the country you will be visiting. If you do not respect its highway code, you may be heavily penalised, so don't be tempted to rely on British regulations. Remember that a GB sticker on your car makes you very conspicuous and you should take extra care not to commit traffic offences.

Driving Licences Generally if you have a new-style pink format or photocard UK licence it will be accepted in Europe (check on the AA website). However if you have one of the old-style green licences you are likely to need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP costs £5.50 and is available from the RAC, AA or Post Office. It cannot be issued more than three months in advance.

Vehicle Insurance Each European country has its own rules for motor insurance. Be aware that when you drive outside the UK your motor insurance policy provides the minimum third-party cover. This is the legal minimum but does not insure you for anything other than third-party risks, even if you have an „all risks‟ policy in the UK. If you want to have comprehensive insurance abroad, you will need to take out additional insurance. Vehicles must be taxed for the duration of the stay. If the tax runs out during the year, then it should be renewed either at home or from the country you are studying in. Tolls On many motorways in Europe motorists have to pay tolls. Motorway driving can be fast and convenient, but can also be expensive. Ensure you can pay the charges before setting off on a motorway journey! The AA website has a good guide to toll roads in Europe (see above). Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure, Tourism and the Sea: provides useful information on transport in France. See for more information. Car Transport By Train


If you want to take your car to Europe but don't fancy the long drive, you can travel by Motorail putting your car on the train. You must travel on the same train. This really is only an option for those with money to spare, but you can get more details by phoning Rail Europe on 08702 415 415/ /

Packing and Freight One of the difficulties with going to live abroad is what to take with you and how. Be practical when you plan what to take with you, remembering that cheap items are not worth breaking your back for and are much better bought when you get there. If however, after being ruthless you still need to have belongings sent over, there are two main ways; the first method is simply by post, the second is by freight either through an airline or international parcel service. Large parcels by post These should be carefully padded and packed and then taken to a main post office to be sent away. Please ensure you get a “tracking number” from the post office. Try to avoid sending breakables or valuables, as these services are really best for transporting books and other heavy but durable items. The maximum weight per parcel is 30kg. Further information is available from Parcelforce on 0800 850 1150 or you can check out its website at Note: Some companies treat “personal effects” as a different category with different rates. Large package freight by plane can be arranged with any air company. Check the Yellow Pages for Airfreight or freight forwarding companies. Your Passport In order to travel overseas, you will of course need a valid passport from the country of your nationality. You may already have a passport and be used to using it, however for UK students who are not yet passport holders, it is important that you note some recent changes to the process involved in obtaining a passport. In addition to completing the relevant application forms and producing the necessary documentation, if you are applying for your first full adult UK passport, you may be required to attend a mandatory interview at the Passport Office as part of the application process. This requirement to attend an interview will be introduced gradually, starting with a limited service in May. Initially, not all first-time adult customers will be called for an interview. The Identity and Passport Service will increase the number of interviews progressively throughout 2007. Customers not contacted by IPS will not need to have an interview and if you already have a child passport and need to change it to a full adult passport, you won‟t need to attend an interview. You can get more details about the new procedures from the Passport & Identity Service website at:



If you are not a British citizen or a citizen of one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you may need a visa before you travel to Europe – you should check with the Embassy / Consulate if a visa is required. French Consulate General in London: Tel: 020 7073 1250 for general enquiries Visa information line (24h): 09065 508 940 (£1/min.) By email: As the documents required depend on individual applications, please write to: "Consulat général de France, Service des visas, Immigration Department, 6A Cromwell Place, P.O. Box 57, London, SW7 2EW", indicating the length and purpose of your stay. Please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for the reply. The French consulate website also provides useful and detailed information about applying for a visa. For further information: Insurance It is vital for you to take out both travel and medical insurance for the period you are abroad. Medical Insurance For university registration you will be required to have European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) cover, which entitles you to the same emergency medical care for illness or accidents as nationals of that country. (NB This means that if local people have to pay for hospital stays and obtain a refund later, or cover the cost of ambulance travel, so will you). The EHIC has replaced the old E111. From 1 January 2006, E111s became invalid. If you are ordinarily resident in the UK but are studying in another EEA country or Switzerland as part of a UK degree programme, you‟ll need an EHIC for yourself and any dependants who go with you. You can apply for your EHIC either: online (this is the quickest method- your card will be delivered within 7 days - go to by phone (call 0845 606 2030. When your application is completed, your card will be delivered within 10 days) or by post (pick up the EHIC form and pre-addressed envelope from the Post Office. Your card will be delivered within 21 days). You will only be entitled to use an EHIC in Switzerland if you are an EU national. The EHIC is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but entitles you to emergency medical treatment on the same terms as nationals of your host country. You will not be covered for medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or treatment of a non-urgent nature. Because the EHIC card does not cover 100% of the medical costs that would be covered by the NHS in the UK, you will need to take out additional cover. Travel Insurance As well as Medical Insurance you will also need Travel Insurance to cover lost baggage, lost passport, flight delays or cancellations, etc. It is important that the policy you select covers all your potential needs. Does it, for example, cover rented accommodation abroad; personal car insurance, or unusual items such as expensive musical instruments, which may require separate policies? Companies providing travel insurance include: o ACE Travel


o o o o

Endsleigh Insurance STA Travel The Post Office Your bank will probably also be able to offer you a policy

Lots of cheap deals are available over the internet, but do read the fine print carefully. Sometimes the cheapest policies are really a waste of time and have so many exclusions that they will never pay out if you do need to make a claim. Expect to pay around £200 for 12 months cover for a decent policy. Please note that you will need to do your own research into finding the most suitable policy for yourself, as the Study Abroad Unit are not currently in a position to recommend any one particular insurance policy to students going to Europe.

Voting British citizens can vote in general elections and European Parliamentary elections from abroad by registering as Overseas Electors, and voting by proxy. Voting by proxy means that you will assign someone at home the task of voting on your behalf in an election. Other nationals may be able to arrange a postal vote through their consulate; however British nationals cannot as ballot papers may not be sent out of the country. In order to register as an Overseas Elector you need to contact your local council for the necessary form during the summer vacation. It is important that you return the completed form by the end of September; failure to do so will result in you losing your right to vote next year.

Money Matters
You are responsible for funding your time abroad and you should take the time to research the costs carefully, and calculate a budget for your stay. 57% of Manchester Erasmus students in 2005-06 reported that they spent more money abroad compared to their average expenditure in Manchester (100 – 200 euros extra per month).

Grants and Loans for the Year Abroad Loans If you are a UK national studying in another country for 8 or more weeks as part of your degree, you are eligible for a higher rate of student loan. For more information on how much extra you can receive, contact your Local Authority. The Student Loans Company is responsible for paying the loan to individual students. The Student Services Centre of the University administers Student Loans.

Informing your Local Authority (LA) It is possible that your Local Authority may provide extra financial assistance for your period abroad. This varies from LA to LA and you should not rely on additional LA funding. However, you should ensure you keep all receipts for travel (flights & connections to /from airports) and insurance (travel and health) in case your LA does agree to reimburse you for these. In late May – early June the Study Abroad Unit will send a list of your names and the universities where you will be on exchange to the Student Funding Officer, Melissa Ormrod, in the Student Services Centre. Melissa will then automatically mail a letter to your LA informing them that you will be studying abroad in the coming academic year.


Please note however that it is your responsibility to inform your LA in writing that you are going abroad and to let them know your term dates. Please note that these dates can sometimes be difficult to obtain, as many European universities will not have one standard start date, dates can vary from faculty to faculty, or even degree course to degree course. It is also vital that you fill the Student Loan form in correctly and promptly. If you submit your Student Loan form after the deadline, or fail to indicate on the form that you‟ll be abroad next year, your loan payment will be delayed. Please note that the Student Loan Company will not chase you if the paperwork isn‟t correct- you just won‟t receive the money! Once the LA has been informed by both the University and yourself that you will be studying abroad, and you have completed and returned your financial form to them, they will send you details of your entitlements and the level of your loan or grant. The LA will ask for details of your bank or building society account. You are responsible for making appropriate arrangements for transferring money abroad. If your LA have any questions / have any forms they need Manchester to fill in, these should go directly to Melissa Ormrod and NOT the Study Abroad Unit. Melissa Ormrod Student Funding Officer Student Services Centre Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 2084 Email:

*From mid August 2007 Melissa will be on maternity leave, her replacement will be Katie Urnevitch (

Erasmus Grant Erasmus Grant This grant is from the European Commission and is paid to EU nationals only. Students who have already received one Erasmus grant e.g. as an undergraduate, cannot receive a second grant. The only exception is for those students who are on an Erasmus Mundus Masters course. The amount of grant varies according to the country and number of months spent abroad. As a guide, in 2005-06 students received an Erasmus grant of around £200 per month, with an additional one-off payment of approximately £270 for students going to less common destinations e.g. Greece, Portugal and Poland. Additional funding is also available for students who are registered disabled in order to help meet any extra support needs you may have, so please be sure to notify us if you have any such disability or medical condition. The Study Abroad Unit is responsible for making the grant payments to the bank account of your choosing. The grant will be paid in two instalments in October and April for Semester 1 and full year students, and in two instalments in January and April for Semester 2 only students. To receive Erasmus funding, you are obliged to complete the paperwork detailed below. Please note that payments will be withheld from students or students will be asked to re-pay any Erasmus money if the paperwork is not complete. Paperwork required for Erasmus Grant Use this grid to keep track of the paperwork you need to return in order to be eligible for your grant payments


Document name

When should document be completed? Before the start of your study period Before the start of your study period

Student grant contract ECTS learning agreement

Who is responsible for completing the document? Student Student in consultation with Erasmus coordinator in your School at Manchester

Where should document be sent?

Checklist (tick off when you have completed)

Study Abroad Unit Host university together with application to study Copy to Erasmus coordinator in your School at Manchester Study Abroad Unit Erasmus coordinator in your School at Manchester. Study Abroad Unit

Certificate of Attendance ECTS transcript

upon completion of placement upon completion of placement

Student to obtain from host institution Student to obtain from host institution. Student

Student Report

upon completion of placement

Language Training Funding 1. Erasmus Intensive Language Courses (EILCs)

EILCs are specialised courses in the less widely used and less taught languages, namely for students going to: Belgium (Flemish Community), Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Turkey We recommend students take an EILC to gain basic communications skills. The advantage of these courses is that they offer: o 20 hours of language training per week o An Erasmus grant for the duration of the course o Special cultural components within the programme o Accommodation and meals provided for the course period o Site visits to places of interest General information, course information and application forms for EILCs appear on the European Commission's EILC web site: Students wishing to apply for an EILC must email their completed application form to Study Abroad Adviser, Jenny Gonzalez-Hogg, at before the official deadline. For courses starting in 2007: 31 May 2007 For courses starting in 2008: 31 October 2007

2. Additional language tuition fees Additional language tuition funding is available for students, EXCEPT those whose degree subject is French, German or Spanish or for students studying a joint languages degree which includes one of these languages.


Eligible students may like to research the courses being run either by your host institution, a private language school or another university within the host country. We may be able to refund you for up to a maximum of 500 euros (about £350) for your tuition fees as long as your course meets the following requirements: o the course takes place immediately before the start of your term in the host country o you can provide us with evidence of your attendance o you can provide us with a receipt to show how much you‟ve paid for the course

Please note that the following conditions apply: o You need to email the Study Abroad Unit the details of the course (cost, and start & finish dates) prior to going abroad, so that we can budget for your expenditure o We cannot cover any accommodation or living costs for your period of language training- this will be your responsibility. However you may receive an Erasmus grant for the duration of the course. o We cannot reimburse students for any courses that run during term time o All supporting evidence must be submitted before the deadline (December 1 st for Semester 1 outgoers). No reimbursements will be made without the Certificate of Attendance and the tuition payment receipt. o Generally this refund will not apply for certain language studies students, that is Single Honours French, German or Spanish programmes and Joint Honours language degrees (i.e. people studying two or more languages), unless one of your languages is Italian or Portuguese. For further information about the Erasmus grant and fund for Language Training contact: Study Abroad Unit Jenny Gonzalez Hogg – Study Abroad Adviser for Outgoing Students Email: Tel: Fax: +44 (0)161 275 3053 +44 (0)161 275 2058

Language Degree Students Italian and Portuguese language degree students are eligible to apply for the EILC courses. Other language studies students (i.e. students on Single Honours French, German or Spanish programmes and Joint Honours language degrees which include one of these languages) are responsible for funding themselves any additional language courses they may decide to enrol upon beyond the modules they are enrolled in at the host university.

Financial Advice The University has a dedicated Student Money Advisor, based in the Student Support Centre, who can offer advice on money-related issues, from working out a realistic budget, to advice on money problems. The Money Advisor, Daniele Kay, provides drop in sessions, and appointments for you to discuss your money-related issues. See the website above for further details. Email: Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 8537

Access to Learning Fund


Each year, the Government gives The University of Manchester money for the Access to Learning Fund (ALF) (previously called the Hardship Fund). This is to enable the University to help students who need extra financial support because they have higher than expected costs (such as single parents) or if they have a sudden financial emergency (for example a burglary) or if they face serious financial problems during their course. The Fund can be used for course-related costs such as childcare, exceptionally high book/equipment costs, travel or for general living costs such as rent. If you qualify for a payment from the Fund, it will not usually have to be repaid. The Fund is administered by the Student Services Centre. To download the application form go to:

Registration Students going abroad will need to register online at Manchester between 3rd – 30th September. Using the Self-Service system to log on to the Student System, you will be asked to check your personal details online (including your new contact address, so please add your overseas details if you have these available). This is the „academic registration‟. You must then pay, or make arrangements to pay, your Manchester tuition fees- this is the „financial registration‟. Even though you were a student at Manchester last year, you will need to supply your payment details again so that your tuition fee payment can be taken. Once payment has been processed, you will be a fully registered student at Manchester for the 2007-08 academic year. Please note that all students must complete financial registration regardless of whether they are due to pay fees or not. If you have problems registering online, or do not have internet access, you will need to call the Student Services Centre in order to register over the telephone. Please note that failure to complete academic and financial registration by the deadline means you are not a registered student of The University of Manchester and a £50.00 late registration charge will be added to your account. For further advice and assistance contact: Email: Registration Hotline: Student Services Centre* +44 (0) 161 275 2350

* NB Because Student Services Centre staff will be located in the Whitworth Hall at Manchester for much of the registration period, they will not be able to check their email accounts as frequently as normal, so response times are likely to be delayed. If possible, please ring up rather than sending an email.

Tuition Fees Why do I still need to pay tuition fees to Manchester if I‟m going to be abroad? Although you might be abroad for some or indeed all of the academic year, you will remain registered as a Manchester student throughout your period abroad. This means that your School and the Study Abroad Unit will still be in touch with you throughout your time abroad, and will still be working with you to ensure that your period abroad runs smoothly and is a successful and enjoyable experience. It also means your time abroad will be recognised as part of your Manchester degree programme, which in turn means you will be eligible for a student loan (as long as you meet all the other criteria of the Student Loans Company). If you were not a registered student during your time abroad you would not be entitled to any of these benefits.


It is also important to understand the nature of exchanges – you are being taught „for free‟ at the partner institution because you do not have to pay any tuition fees to them but this is not because they are so generous that they just let you come and study with them for free! The tuition fees you pay at Manchester will be used to teach the foreign exchange student who comes to Manchester in your place. Likewise, the foreign student has paid the tuition fees for you at the university in Italy / France/ USA etc so that you don‟t need to. All UK exchange agreements are managed in this same way. There is not an option to pay your tuition fees to the host institution instead of Manchester. The only students exempt from paying any tuition fees at all for their period abroad are EU nationals who go on an Erasmus exchange for a full academic year. In this case, the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) covers the cost of you tuition fees to Manchester because they want to help encourage more students in the UK to participate in the Erasmus scheme for a full academic year. The DfES do not offer any such payment if you are only going on Erasmus for one semester, or if students go on a Worldwide Exchange rather than an Erasmus exchange. Home /EU Students - Under Erasmus i) Students who spend a full academic year abroad under the Erasmus Scheme are not required to pay tuition fees for that year. Please note such students must be eligible for LA assessed fee support under the DfES (or equivalent Scotland, N. Ireland) Student Support Regulations to benefit from the tuition-fee waiver. ii) Students who spend part (normally 3-5 months) of the academic year abroad pay an assessed contribution of up to £1200 towards their tuition fees.

Home students - Not under Erasmus i) Students who spend a full academic year abroad, for example, as a language assistant, on work-placement, or study at a non-Erasmus partner university pay an assessed contribution of up to £600 towards their tuition fees. ii) Students who spend part of the academic year abroad, for example, on work-placement, or study at a non-Erasmus partner university pay an assessed contribution of up to £1200 towards their tuition fees. Language studies students who go to study at a European university that is not an Erasmus partner may be able to claim some fee reimbursement (up to £600). Original receipts should be presented to the School of Languages, Linguistics and Cultures.


Overseas students Overseas students need to check with the Student Services Centre as to the amount of fees payable to Manchester. Further information: Email: Tel: Student Services Centre +44 (0) 161 275 5000

Benefit Entitlements UK Benefit Entitlements If you are receiving any form of benefit then you need to inform the Job Centre / Department of Work and Pensions that you will be studying abroad for a year, and ask them how this will affect you.


Students with children or dependants Although there is no extra Erasmus grant for Erasmus students with children or adult dependants you should consult the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) web site for details of additional help available to you: nanceForNewStudents/DG_10034864

We also recommend that you speak to the Student Services Centre at the University, as they may be able to advise you on additional support available. Further information: Email: Tel: Student Services Centre +44 (0) 161 275 5000

Making the Most of Your Money Before you leave the UK it is vital to tell your bank that you will be spending the next academic year abroad. They will be able to advise you on managing your finances - there are a wide range of possibilities on offer and it is worthwhile shopping around to find methods that will most suit your needs and budget. Your bank may have branches abroad or have links with banks abroad. Nationwide is currently one of the few banks that do not make a charge for withdrawals or debit card payments abroad, so you may want to consider opening a Nationwide Flex account before you leave. Exchange rate variations between the pound and European currency as well as bank and credit card fees (often surprisingly high) make it all the more essential to manage your money in the most effective way possible.

Online banking It‟s a good idea to set up online banking on your current account so that you can more easily keep a track of your finances whilst abroad. Ask your bank for details.

Third party warranty If you have a trusted family member or friend who you would be happy to allow control of your bank account for you whilst you‟re abroad (i.e. be able to write cheques on your behalf etc), then you may want to think about setting up Third Party Warranty on your account. Speak to your bank to arrange this.

Traveller's cheques, which can be exchanged for local currency, are a secure way to take large amounts of money abroad. They are safer than cash because if you lose them, or they are stolen, you can get replacements quickly and easily - usually within 24 hours. There are two types of traveller‟s cheques: „sterling‟ and „local currency‟. Sterling traveller‟s cheques are widely accepted in most European countries. You will usually be charged a small fee when you exchange them for local currency. With currency traveller‟s cheques the exchange rate is set before you leave the UK; normally you won‟t have to pay any extra charges when you exchange them for currency, but they d o cost a little more to buy than sterling traveller‟s cheques. Traveller‟s cheques can either be deposited into a bank account or cashed in a bank or bureau de change, usually free of charge. You can buy foreign currency traveller's cheques in the UK from any high street bank or Bureau de Change. Thomas Cook can usually issue them on the spot, along with


larger amounts of foreign currency than banks usually stock. If you have a student bank account you may find your bank will change money for you and sell you traveller‟s cheques without charging commission. It is quite likely that you will need large amounts of cash during your first few weeks abroad and traveller's cheques are safer to carry than a large number of bank notes. Nevertheless, keep your traveller's cheques safe, only sign them in the presence of a cashier, note the numbers, keep them in a separate place from the cheques, and report any loss or theft immediately to the police and to your bank. You will be given an emergency number to ring when you collect your traveller's cheques. International Money Order (IMO): IMOs or “money drafts” are pre-signed drafts available in US dollars, Sterling, Euros, for any amount up to £10,000. They are useful primarily for sending funds abroad. The commission charge is approx. £8 - £12. You can pay by cash or cheque and if you order one through your own bank it can be debited from your account. It is likely that to buy a money order you will need some form of identification such as a passport, especially if it is for a large sum of money. The IMO can be cashed, with suitable identification at any bank in the country of the currency.

Bank transfer Once you have opened an account abroad you can transfer funds between banks. You should ask your individual bank how much they charge for this service and how many days it will take on average. To give an example, HSBC offer a World Pay service to its customers whereby you can send money in local currency to arrive within 6 working days for a fixed charge of £9. For £21 (or £10 if you‟ve an HSBC account abroad) the Priority Payment scheme will ensure the money arrives within 3 -4 days. You will need to know the IBAN and/or SWIFT code number of your new account abroad so that money can be transferred to you. If you need to have money transferred urgently, or you don‟t have a bank account in the host country, the Post Office‟s MoneyGram service or Western Union both allow money to be sent instantaneously without the need for a local bank account. MoneyGram tends to be slightly cheaper than Western Union, certainly for amounts of £500 or less. Starting charges are £12 - £14 for a transfer of up to £100. For further details please consult the following websites: Visa and MasterCard are both world-wide payment schemes. Cards can be used to pay for goods and services and to withdraw cash wherever the Visa and/or MasterCard logos are displayed. If you have an existing account with Barclays, Lloyds TSB, or the Royal Bank of Scotland then you will also have a direct debit Visa card. You can also use a Visa card in most shops and supermarkets, although some will not accept them for goods under a certain amount (possibly as much as £20). Banks and Bureaux de Change will change money for you with your Visa card but will charge you an extra commission; to change money in this way you must present your passport or birth certificate with the card. Cirrus and Maestro are both signs usually displayed on any HSBC or NatWest Debit (Switch) Card. They operate in the same way as a Visa debit card from the above banks but are less popularly accepted. Cirrus and Maestro allow you to withdraw cash whilst abroad from any machine displaying the symbols and Maestro also allows you to pay for goods and services in shops and restaurants displaying the Maestro sign. In the same way that using your Visa debit card abroad incurs a small charge, the same is true for Cirrus or Maestro users. The charge for each transaction is usually about £1.50.


General advice: Always read the small print in your Visa or Travellers Cheque information. If in doubt ask your bank to clarify exactly what charges will be levied.

Health and Well-Being The healthcare system of your host country may well be very different from what you are used to in the UK. Britain still remains the only European country with a free National Health Service making it important to sort out health insurance cover before you leave the UK, providing you with automatically free medical services while you are away. It is important to realise though that, unlike in this country, prescriptions will not in general be State-subsidised, so it is wise to make sure you get any prescription medicines you may need for your year abroad from your UK doctor before you go. It is also well worth investing in the basics: aspirin, plasters, antiseptic cream, etc. (which are in general much cheaper in this country than abroad). We strongly advise you to visit the dentist and the optician before you leave for your period abroad and make sure you take information about any prescription you require on a regular basis / glasses prescription with you. The EHIC is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but entitles you to emergency medical treatment on the same terms as French nationals. You will not be covered for medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or treatment of a non-urgent nature. We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for the activities you want to undertake. All hospitals have an emergency room that is open 24 hours a day. Physicians and pharmacies are on call nights and weekends. The renowned French system of health insurance reimburses a portion of participants' medical expenses in return for a mandatory annual contribution of 172 Euros. Student group health plans are available to cover all or part of that portion of your medical bills that is not covered by the basic national system. Premiums for such supplemental coverage start at 110 Euros per year. Please note that to be eligible for the national student health plan, students must be under 28 and enrolled in a participating institution of higher education. Students 28 and older must obtain private health insurance. Assistants If you are an Assistant you will be covered for social security as soon as you receive a social security card with a social security number. This is either done automatically through your school or you will have to sort this out yourself. As an Assistant, if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident at work, you will be insured by the school's insurance policy. If you have to take time off work because of an Accident de Travail, you will still be paid your normal wage. However, under such circumstances there is a strong possibility that you will be checked upon. This is done to ensure that you are not abusing the system and taking advantage of some time off to have a holiday somewhere in the sun! In France, medical services are not state-run and each person may choose his/her doctor, but there are two types:  Social Security doctors who have an agreement with social security or Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (equivalent to the NHS); consultation fees are fixed in agreement with the Social Security. These fees are not on a national scale. For a consultation with a general practitioner the fee should be approximately 20 Euros (night calls, Sundays and holidays are more expensive). The addresses of doctors on night duty, or available Sundays and holidays can be found at police stations, on the doors of chemists and in the local papers. In case of an emergency phone the SAMU (Services d‟Aide Médicale Urgente, number 15 on the dial) who will direct you to a hospital service.


 Doctors who do not belong to the Social Security and whose prices are generally much higher (equivalent to private doctors). Emergency Services 112 International Emergency number 15 SAMU (Ambulances) 17 Police 18 Fire

Upon Arrival Abroad

Adjusting to life abroad a) Homesickness It is very normal to experience a feeling of homesickness while you are away. You may start pining for your Manchester haunts or for your friends and family. Talking to your friends in your host country about how you are feeling and to our colleagues in the Erasmus/International Office (who are familiar with students who feel homesick) should help. In addition, please remember that we‟re just a telephone call or email message away so do not hesitate to contact the Study Abroad Unit - don‟t feel you need to suffer in silence! Please remember, too, we would like to hear from you when things are going well, as we are genuinely interested in how you are getting on.

b) Culture Shock People experience culture shock in a variety of ways, and once again feel free to talk to people about your feelings or fears. Sometimes it could be several weeks before you notice any effects, but please don‟t worry as culture shock is a normal reaction for quite a few people. You should find that as you adjust to your host‟s culture and attitudes, and begin to know your way around, you start to feel at home. The following suggestions may be helpful:      maintain your perspective evaluate your expectations keep an open mind do not withdraw and isolate yourself seek help if your feelings persist

Police Registration (Carte de Séjour)

As soon as you arrive in France, there are two important steps to take to comply with French immigration regulations. 1 - Report to your new university or school and register for classes 2 - Apply for a student residency permit (Carte de séjour de ressortissant de l‟Union Européenne)


All students must report and register each year. The procedure is the same in all universities. In non university institutions of higher education it differs from institution to institution. Registration at the universities has two parts: administrative registration and registration for classes. Other institutions of higher education set their own registration procedures and typically inform students of those procedures before their departure for France. Pay close attention to the documents that you will have to present. Originals are often required. International students who intend to study in France for more than 3 months must visit the préfecture (or government centre) for their area to obtain a temporary residency permit showing their student status. The temporary residency permit is valid until the expiration date of the applicant's passport or until the date of completion of the applicant's academic program, whichever comes first. You will need the residency permit in order to obtain housing assistance. Among the documents that you need to provide to obtain your carte de séjour are: - Proof that you are an ERASMUS student if applicable (home university attestation and/or ERASMUS contract and/or host university student card - Proof of social security insurance, or some other form of health insurance. - 2 passport photos - Copies of the pages in your passport which show your: identity, passport number, passport validity dates, date of arrival in France (if applicable), and French visa (if applicable). PLUS you must bring the original to the Préfecture when you make your request for a carte de séjour. - Proof of financial resources (minimum 380 euros / month) i.e., proof that you have enough money to cover your living expenses during your period of study in France (proof may be a bank statement, a grant statement, or a financial declaration prepared by your parent or guardian). - Your full birth certificate (the original plus a photocopy) and its translation into French, if your certificate is not in German, Italian, English or Spanish. This translation has to be done by a certified translator. This costs quite a lot of money in France and it is advisable to get this done in Britain. You can try the French Consulate in London or Alliance Francaise in Manchester. Consulat General de France 21 Cromwell Road London SW7 2EN Tel 020 7073 1200 - Proof of an address. You can bring a photocopy of your apartment rental contract, a statement from your landlord, a copy of a phone bill or an electricity bill with your name and your address on it. - You will have to attend a medical visit before receiving your carte de séjour. The préfecture will send you a letter with the appointment's time, place, and date.

Finding Somewhere to Stay Finding accommodation in France is not easy. As well as being time-consuming, most contracts will require endless photocopies proving status and income. Sometimes it can be very difficult finding decent private accommodation and if you decide to find accommodation with French Agencies it is necessary to note that you will require a French Guarantor. The guarantor usually needs to be paid in France and earn about 4 times your yearly rent (minimum). One thing you should note is that some rented flats are unfurnished, i.e.: not “meublé”, and so you will end up having to buy most of the basic items like a bed, desk and chair etc. In order to avoid this students should choose a flat which is furnished (meublé). If you can make contact with other students that are in France from your home university, it may be possible for them to get a similar agreement with their landlord to keep the flat/apartment on hold for the next group of students arriving in France from your home university.


You could consider accommodation in University Halls, which not only saves hours of stress but also guarantees you a reasonable amount of social mixing with French students. France has a relatively well-established student housing system - the Oeuvres Universitaires, (CROUS).

Conditions of Admission To benefit from the Oeuvres at a preferential tariff, students must be enrolled in an establishment or part of an establishment recognised by the student social security system. If you have a scholarship from your own government or if your scholarship is recognised by an international organisation (e.g. ERASMUS), the requirement for enrolment in an institution recognised by the social security may be waived.

University accommodation Accommodation in large towns has become very difficult to find even for French students. Rooms are allocated first to those students who do not live close enough to the university to commute, secondly to those who receive government grants and thirdly to visiting students on organised exchanges. Being an International student gives you a better chance of being accepted into a Cité Universitaire but you must arrive early on in the autumn to be able to guarantee this. All Cités are run and managed by the CROUS office. Please note that these are cheap rooms and they will usually go fast. Students should make every attempt to contact the relevant CROUS office before they get to France. If you have a family, you should come alone and only have your family join you under the three following conditions:  That you have found accommodation;  That you are able to provide financially for all your family's needs;  That you have taken out health insurance for your family so as to be able, in case of need, to pay medical, maternity or accident expenses.

The Cité Universitaire Most Cité-U's are campuses with several blocks of student accommodation. However, the CROUS can offer different kinds of accommodation depending on availability, for example rooms in large houses in town or small student flats organised in the same way as many of your home university‟s student accommodation. These may be more luxurious but are more expensive than ordinary rooms. French halls of residence are very basic and designed more for practicality than for comfort. Each room has its own wash area with a basin, There is a bed, which usually has sheets and blankets provided, a chair and a desk. There is a lot of shelving and storage space and good lighting, and although they may seem very stark at a first glance rooms can be made very comfortable and are actually very well designed. New residences have recently been built or are in the process of being built. Every corridor has a kitchen but this is really just a room with two hot plates and a sink so gastronomic masterpieces are out of the question. There is no fridge and no table, which really encourages people to eat at the Restau-U. Toilets and showers are mixed. There is often a TV room or a work room in each block but otherwise socialising really has to be done in rooms. Apart from the Restau-U there are no other on-site facilities except for the occasional launderette. Rent The main advantage to living in university-managed accommodation is the price. Monthly rents can vary, for example in Lyon expect to pay 140 € for a traditional university room and from 260 – 385 € for a room in a new university hall. Private halls in Lyon also vary but can cost up to 585 € per month. In Dijon, the average rent for a room in a university hall is 160 € per month. However, with housing benefit rent goes down to about half price. This monthly price also includes all bills. You will be expected to pay one month's rent in advance and one month's rent as a deposit (caution). This must


be paid before you are given your keys. If you wish to leave the Cité for any reason you must give one month's notice or you will not get your deposit back. La Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP) La Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris is a Cité only for students in Paris. This Cité does not come under the Oeuvres Universitaires. It has an international house, which is used for cultural and sporting activities, and 37 residential houses in which live 5000 students of 110 different nationalities. Each residence has different statutes according to agreements made with the university and the different foundation. The Cité is only open to students, French or International, who have already completed the first cycle of their degree (2 years). Admission is one year in the first instance and can be renewed for a further 2 years. The monthly rates vary, according to the different residences, between 130 € to 160 € for a double room and 280-340 € for a single room. Requests for admission should be channelled through your home university from 1 April for the following university year, to the:

Service des Admissions de la Fondation Nationale, 19 boulevard Jourdan 75690 Paris Cedex 14 Tel: +33 (0)1 44 16 64 48-01 44 16 64 46 Email:

Fax: +33 (0)1 44 16 64 03 Website:

The Cité can also receive university staff, research workers, doctors and artists carrying out short periods of research work, teaching or attachments. In these cases the rates are a little higher. Applications should be made between May and October at the above address. HLM (Council Housing) Most CROUS administer a few lodgings in HLM (more than 120,000 beds). Prices are around 130 € for a single person and 200 € for a couple. These prices vary according to the region, the site, and the standard offered. The MNEF (Mutuelle nationale des étudiants de France) also has a few lodgings in HLM for single and married students. NB: in an HLM you may have to pay rates. Hostels Hostels are often for women and young workers and managed by charitable associations. Many are denominational but welcome students of all religions. Some offer full board or half board, others only bed and breakfast, for around 390 € per month. On request the CROUS can supply (like the CIDJ, Centres d‟information et de documentation jeunesse) the addresses of the principal hostels. Alternatively the Bureau d'Aide Social de la Mairie will be able to give you a list. Private Accommodation Private Accommodation If you are intending to live in private accommodation during your year abroad, you must aim to arrive in your host university town as early as possible. One thing you should watch out for is agency fees, as the last thing you want is a situation where you are desperate for accommodation because you have left it too late and are forced to go to an agency and pay their fees. You should also bear in mind the difficulty in finding the required French guarantor. You should never pay for lists of accommodation. You should also check with the landlord/lady if you are liable for the Taxe d'Habitation, which is the equivalent to our Council Tax, and could be the equivalent of one month's rent. Some students have been surprised at the end of the year when they received this bill unexpectedly. Housing for students is a great problem in France and hoping to find somewhere the day before term starts is unrealistic and will add to the general stresses and strains of settling down. First of all you have to consider the options for private accommodation and the costs involved. It is standard to give 3 months notice. You should send this by registered post (letter recommandé).


Renting a private flat or studio The French have created a trend for living alone in rented studios. These are self-contained onebedroom flats with kitchen, bathroom and living space. During the summer these are easily available so there should be no problem finding somewhere to live on your own. If you are intending to share a flat with a friend and you are both looking, then you may have more difficulty. Any more than a threebedroom apartment is almost impossible to find. It is also worth remembering when planning your departure date that some accommodation is not furnished and although the basics can be bought cheaply and easily second hand, you may not wish to have this extra expense and worry hanging over your head. When renting in the private sector you will probably need to call the EDF (electricity) and arrange for a meeting with someone to read the meter as they do not operate an electricity-card system. Newspaper advertisements Firstly you should read all the notices on the boards both at the Fac and at the CROUS office as people often keep on their student accommodation over the summer and rent it out in the autumn. You should also keep an eye out in the local papers, but these flats/studios are snapped up very quickly and you have to get to a phone literally seconds after the paper has come out to have any joy at all. If your French is weak, it is a good idea to get a French person to phone for you, as some landlords/ladies can be very abrupt when they discover you are not French. However, it isn't impossible to find accommodation through the newspapers, and if you are patient and spend enough time looking, then invariably you will find what you are looking for, at a considerably cheaper price than if you go through an agency. In Paris, for example, you may find ads in the daily newspapers and FUSAC of people offering free accommodation in exchange for some hours weekly of babysitting etc. There are several weekly publications, which are available free of charge from the main office or the relevant outlets (usually boulangeries). They are also distributed to people's homes, but there is often a delay, and if you want to get hold of a copy immediately for the accommodation listings, then it is advisable to go straight to the central office. Every department has a regional newspaper named after its departmental code. i.e. Le 21 for Bourgogne, Le 34 for l'Hérault and so on. There are also other local newspapers such as Bonjour! and L' Hebdo but obviously the names will vary according to the town where you are living. The prospect of wading through advertisements may seem a little daunting at first, especially when you pick up a paper and are faced with a list of incomprehensible descriptions. However, do not be put off by the lists of abbreviations. Deciphering adverts is quite straightforward once you have understood the method that is adopted. The general consensus is for advertisers to write as little as possible since they pay by the letter. You will therefore, come across many different variations of the same description: For example, you may see Chauffage Centrale Gaz written as CCgaz, Chauf.gaz or Ch.gaz. There may be certain expressions that you are not familiar with, so the glossary below should be of some help. It is by no means exhaustive but aims at providing the most essential information. Glossary of newspaper advertisement terms A saisir - This is usually an agency expression meaning that the accommodation in question is a good deal. B–cher - An allotted area of private storage space which can be anything from a small cupboard somewhere within the property to the use of a large basement downstairs. Cession de Bail (cde bail) - Most contracts are strictly for one year, and as a student coming from abroad for about nine months you may not want to pay rent for a whole year. It is, therefore, not a bad idea to look for an apartment where it says cde bail. This means that for whatever reason, the existing tenant wants to give up the year long contract mid-way through its duration. In order not to lose money they are looking for someone to take over their contract for the remaining period.


Chauffage collectif (Chauf. coll)/Chauffage individuel (Chauf. Ind.) Chauffage individuel means that you have private control of your heating, and you can decide when you turn it on and off. If it is collectif then it is controlled from one central point in the building and there will a specific date during the year when the system is turned on for the winter and off for the summer. It may also mean that you do not deal directly with the electricity board. Cuisine équipée / aménagée (cuis. équip / amén.) A kitchen of this sort will usually include a sink, fridge, hot plates or a small oven, as well as the cupboards. Obviously, this is the bare minimum and it isn't impossible to find fully-fitted kitchens with all mod cons. A kitchen that is not equipée will have nothing in it. It will often be an empty room with a sink and, if you are lucky, will include some storage cupboards. HB - This is written next to the telephone number and means Heures Bureaux. You can, therefore, contact the person during office hours which are from 9-12 and 2-4 or 5pm. Kitchenette (kitch.)/Coin Cuisine (c.cuis) - Instead of a separate room, the kitchen is in the corner of a room with a sink, hot plates, cupboard space and possibly a fridge. These are usually found in a studio flat or an F1. Particulier (part.) - A landlord who is letting out a property may put this in the advertisement to show that it is a private let. This is written so that people know that it is not an agency advertisement. Some people prefer private landlords to agencies since they deal with the landlord on a one-to-one basis; there is no middleman. Résidence (rés.) - This is usually a modern apartment block. Standing - If this appears after the word appartement or résidence it means that it is in a prestigious area or apartment block, which often means an affluent one too. Toutes Charges Comprises (TCC, cc, ch.comp.) - This means that charges are included in the rent. Do not, however, mistake charges for bills. If TCC is written in the advert it does not mean that all bills are included in the rent. When you rent a flat, there are extra costs incurred by the tenant which go towards the upkeep of the building, car parking facilities, the concierge (if there is one), the central heating system if it is a collective one etc. This is an obligatory monthly payment which is either included, or in addition to the stated monthly rent. If charges are not included, you may see something like 370 € + charges. These costs vary, so find out exactly how much they are. If in doubt, always check whether the amount quoted is with or without these extra costs. It could make a significant difference to your budget. Tout Confort (tt conf.) - This is a promotional expression, which people use if they feel that their accommodation is above average and a pleasant place to live. It is roughly equivalent of 'all mod cons' in English. The size of an apartment is often quoted in metres squared, which includes all floor space. Below is a very rough guideline for a simple flat or studio for one person. 20m2 or less = small (average in Paris) 30-50m2 = average-to-large 50m2 or more = large

General Guidelines on Different Types of Accommodation (NB. All accommodation is unfurnished unless otherwise stated.) Chambre meublée - This can be a room in a shared house but more often than not is a room in a private household. Arrangements for cooking and washing vary according to the hospitality of the family.


Studio - One room with a coin cuisine where the bathroom may be in another corner or a separate room. F1 - One bedroom with a private kitchen and bathroom. F2 - The same as an F1 but with one extra room, either a bedroom or a living room. F3 - As F1 with two extra rooms and an F4 is with three extra rooms and so on. You often see the letter 'T' instead of 'F' which usually indicates that the accommodation has either recently been renovated (refait neuf) or it is situated in a modern building. This can also be regional (in Toulouse they generally use „T‟). If you do not find anything through the newspapers, then you will have to go to an agency. You will be guaranteed to find something this way but most agencies will not even let you see a list of available lodgings until you have paid them a fee which can be up to £150 if two of you are looking to share. Do not forget that on top of this fee, the agency will probably also ask for one or two months' rent in advance plus one month's rent to act as the deposit. If you do intend to go to an agent then ask at the CROUS office for a list of reliable ones! If you are looking for a two bedroom flat with a living room then you must explain to the agent that you are looking for an F3. An F4 will have three bedrooms and so on. Remember also to tell them your price range; go a little bit under what you can afford because they will always show you the most expensive in that range. You are not obliged to take the first flat they offer you so do not be intimidated: if you pay them a fee then they are obliged to find you something that you feel happy with however long it takes. Remember, living in another country can be stressful enough without having to cope with cockroaches and leaking roofs. When you do see something that you like, remember to ask the following questions:  What is the rent and what does it include? e.g. services. Bills and rates are sometimes included in the price.  When is the rent due and how should it be paid?  What notice should be given by either party? NB In France a tenant cannot legally be evicted from lodgings between the months of November and May.  How much is the deposit?  Are you entitled to Housing Benefit?  Do you have to take out house contents insurance? This is compulsory in France and is usually the responsibility of the tenant. If anything goes wrong in the house or flat, it is the tenant's responsibility. Without house contents insurance it could prove very costly.  Is the Taxe d'Habitation, included in the rent, or payable separately, if so when and how much? NB: It is strongly advisable to have a written contract confirming all the terms of the tenancy agreement not only for your own protection but also to receive the Aide au Logement. Lodging with a family or with French students In either of these cases you should keep an eye out for notices at the Fac, CROUS, in local papers, shops or by asking for advice at the Accueil des Étudiants Étrangers. Usually you will pay rent as normal although if you wish to eat with the family too you will of course have to pay more. In rare cases International students can live free in these situations by giving conversation lessons to a member of the household or family.


There are many ways of finding shared housing (colocation) with French students, including Fac, CROUS, in local papers and also on the web,

Rent Depending on the area, the town and quality of accommodation you should be looking at paying between 160 € and 460 € per month. If you are entitled to housing benefit then you should receive about 140 € towards each month's rent. It is usually calculated on a sliding scale, so the more you pay in rent, the greater your benefit allocation will be. Housing Insurance In France the law states that if you rent a private apartment or studio then you must take out an insurance policy to protect yourself against any damage to the property. The most basic and cheapest form protects you against fire and flood damage but there are other more comprehensive policies. Your normal insurance policy will not cover this. There are many Student Housing Insurances available with different price ranges. Here are three examples: Assistance Etudiants- 14€ for a one room accommodation, 25€ for a two room and 37€ for a three room accommodation L'A.G.E.M. –20 € for basic cover and then 6 € for each room that is larger than 9m by 9m. La M.N.E.F. – 17 € for a room in the Cité-U per year; 32 € for a private room or studio per year; 60 € for a private apartment. These prices include cover against theft and damage to personal belongings. NB In the Cité-U you are not obliged to take out housing insurance Landlord Disputes In the unlikely event of dispute with a landlord or housing agency, the following organisation can provide information regarding your rights as a tenant:

Confédération Nationale du Logement 8, Rue Mériel B.P. 119 93104 Montreuil Cedex Tel: 01 48 57 04 64 Electrical appliances France uses a 220 volt current like most of Europe and, like the rest of Europe, only uses two-pin plugs so make sure that you take adapters with you for any British electrical appliances.

Housing Benefit (Aide au Logement) There are two types of housing benefit depending on the type of accommodation. For both types of housing benefit, the formalities can take a while. It'll take at least two or three months during which time you will have to pay the rent up front. However, when the grant eventually comes through it will be backdated to the beginning of the second month of your stay. No grant is payable for the first month. · Allocation de Logement Sociale (ALS)


The ALS grant is between 46 – 140 € depending on the rent to you pay. Once you have signed your rental agreement you can apply for the ALS grant. · Aide personaliséé au Logement (APL) The amount of this grant depends on the amount of rent you pay and on your income. Once you have signed your rental agreement you can apply for the APL grant. The APL is reserved for certain types of accommodation only (HLM or CROUS owned accommodation). In order to apply for the APL, you must also live for a minimum of 8 months in the accommodation. To apply for housing benefit, you must go along to your nearest Caisse d'Allocation Familiale (CAF). Here you may need to present:  The Fiche d'État Civile  Proof of Address - the official contract or letter from the landlord/lady is necessary, a receipt will not be enough. It must have the amount of rent you are charged and the dates that you will be living there marked clearly on it.  If you are living with someone else you must provide a photocopy of his or her État Civile also to prove that you are not married.  Proof of Student Status- from your host University  Details of your French bank account  A CAF form, which your landlord will need to complete, stating exact details of the property. Assistants If you are an Assistant you are also entitled to housing benefit. The system is a little different and it would be best to find out all the details from your local CAF. But in brief, the amount you are entitled to depends on your income from the previous year. You have to make a statement claiming everything you earned in France and abroad, and as long as you did not earn over the threshold (approximately 8,500 €) during the time period specified they will calculate a reasonable figure. They also take into consideration how much rent you pay and whether you are presently employed. In certain circumstances they may ask you to provide proof of these earnings so it is advisable to bring to France any old payslips that you may have. The French University System

The French University System As everybody in France has the right to go to university once they have taken and passed their Baccalauréat, most major towns have a university with at least an Arts or Science faculty and usually Law and Political Science. The norm is that most French young people will go to university after school to gain some kind of qualification because there are no specific entrance requirements. This means that as well as being grossly overcrowded, French educational establishments are highly competitive and students who fall behind are not allowed to continue with their studies after their first set of exams in January. The lack of a selection system also means that, apart from making a provisional application to the university of your choice (in 99% of cases this is the university nearest to your home town), places in courses are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. It really is survival of the fittest, so be warned.

The organization of studies There are two types of curricula in France: - short programmes, usually consisting of two or three years of study, covering the business, industry and service sectors;


- long programmes offered by universities and grandes écoles and organized in various ways according to the type of institution. At universities, the long curricula are split into three successive cycles called LMD: - The first level is attained three years after the end of secondary education and when successfully completed results in a university degree (licence "L"/ Bachelor‟s degree); - the second level leads to a Master‟s degree (M1) in one year, then at the end of the following year a DEA (research oriented post graduate degree M2 "research" ) or DESS (post-graduate degree M2 "professional"), equivalent to a Master‟s degree; - the third level is dedicated to research and, if successfully completed, leads to a Doctorate, which is obtained after submitting a doctoral dissertation. The Doctorate (D) is earned in 3 years following the DEA (M2). The academic year Finally, it is worthwhile noting that in France, the school or academic year begins in September and ends in June. However, the academic year is split into two six-month academic periods; in some cases, this allows students to start a program in February at the beginning of the second term. Please note that at the moment French Universities are in a transition period. To meet with European standards the LMD system is now being put in place, doing away with the former 3 cycles system (DEUG, LICENCE, MAITRISE, DOCTORAT). Most of the big institutions in France have already adopted the system but we recommend that you check with your host university. Teaching is either by Travaux dirigés or Travaux pratiques which are classed as seminars and by Cours Magistraux which are lectures. Attendance of these is essential, as the notes tend to make up for the shortage of books. The term "seminar" is, however, misleading as there can be between 40 and 100 people in each class and written work is more rarely set than in England, tutors preferring to monitor progress by exams which are set twice a year, and exposés (presentations). Other than that there is little teacher-student contact by British standards but don't be fooled - attendance is carefully monitored and more than two absences can result in disqualification from the course.

ECTS and Credits The ECTS system makes it easier for European institutions to recognise the learning achievements of students through the use of commonly understood measurements - credits and grades. ECTS uses three key documents: 1. information package (includes course units). 2. application form/learning agreement. 3. transcript of records (showing grades obtained). Most EU universities operate ECTS to a greater or lesser extent. At the University of Manchester, a full workload for a year‟s course at undergraduate level is 120 credits which is equal to 60 ECTS credits. The credits represent a full student workload eg lectures, practical work, seminars, tutorials, fieldwork, private study - in the library or at home and are not limited to contact hours only. You need to check if the credits quoted are in the host university‟s terms or ECTS terms so that you can work out how many courses to choose. It is the home university‟s prerogative to interpret the marks you obtain abroad. The host university‟s information package should contain information about the local grading scale/mark system. In order to be eligible for the Erasmus grant, students are expected to complete 30 credits per semester. The ECTS Grading System


Examination and assessment results are usually expressed in grades. However, many different grading systems co-exist in Europe. In order to ensure that exchange students are treated fairly wherever their study is undertaken, an ECTS grading system has been developed to complement the credit framework. Whilst ECTS credits reflect the quantity of work, ECTS grades represent its quality.

This table shows the ECTS grading scale and how it is defined: Percentage of successful students normally Definition achieving the grade 10 EXCELLENT - outstanding performance with only minor errors VERY GOOD -above the average standard but with some errors GOOD -generally sound work with a number of notable errors SATISFACTORY- fair but with significant shortcomings SUFFICIENT - performance meets the minimum criteria FAIL- some more work required before the credit can be awarded FAIL- considerable further work is required

ECTS Grade





30 25 10 -

Before you can attend any classes at all, you are required to register with the university - twice. The first enrolment is Administrative and the second Academic.

Administrative Enrolment Most host universities will have received an application form and learning agreement from you and a list of selected ERASMUS students from the home ERASMUS coordinator. Therefore they will be expecting you to arrive, so this process is much easier for International students than for French nationals, believe it or not! Most Universities have an Accueil des Étudiants Étrangers, or Service de Relations Internationales which will help you with this process. Every French university is different so check the host university‟s ERASMUS guide for what documents they specifically require. You may need:


1.* Proof of your level of studies in Higher Education, i.e. your A Level Certificates, (four copies of each) and a transcript of grades obtained at university, especially if you are registering for a French degree e.g. licence (only applies to a very few students). N.B: Although photocopying is generally cheaper in France, it is highly recommended that you get everything done before you leave, as it will save you a lot of time and stress! 2.* Your original long Birth Certificate in English, complete with your parents details, and a translation of the Birth Certificate into French. 3. EHIC/other proof of insurance 4.* Proof of Address: a housing contract, letter from your landlord/lady or receipt will do. If you have a room in halls then you will need a copy of your contract with the CROUS office. 5. Proof of Identity (i.e.; passport, UK University registration card). 6. Six Passport Photographs. 7. A cheque or postal order for your enrolment fees. The amount you will have to pay varies and may be £100; however, for an ERASMUS student, enrolment or registration fees are waived. If you do not have a bank account open already in France to write cheques from then you will need to get a Mandat Lettre (Postal Order) from the Post Office. 8. You may need to make an appointment with médecine preventive, which will be recorded with a stamp on your student ID. * Some universities do not require A-level certificates, birth certificates or proof of address for enrolment. You may be able to enrol immediately or you may be asked to come back at a specific time and fill in a form. This process seems complicated and you may be baffled about the amount of red tape you have to go through, but if you remember to bring the correct documents with enough copies of each it should be relatively easy. Remember that SOCRATES/ERASMUS is a well-respected scheme throughout the EU and you will find it is the magic name to drop if you have any administrative problems. Academic Enrolment On arrival, you should try to make an appointment with your academic co-ordinator for advice regarding study-plans, courses and methods of assessment; this also makes academic enrolment a clearer process for you. This enrolment is compulsory for the validation of any exams. You have to queue up to enrol at the main office of your chosen UFR. From there you can also buy the prospectus (Fascicule) of courses and a break down of each UV. You will be required to enrol for each UV separately. The fascicule should also tell you where and when to enrol for your chosen course. If this information is not given then it will be up to you to keep an eye on the notice boards for your UFR to find out the time and place of enrolment. When you do come to enrol for each UV you will notice, probably for the first time, just how overcrowded the universities really are. Sometimes it will be a question of queuing to sign your name on a list, which may take a few hours so it is best to arrive as early as possible to guarantee a place and a quick escape; otherwise you may be given a time and a lecture theatre for a meeting and everyone will make their applications together. If you miss these appointments it is very difficult to be accepted on the courses without writing to the professor in charge and stating your case, without a pigeon hole system for staff or pupils this is often quite fruitless. On the application form for each UV you will be asked to give the code of the course that you are enrolling for, which can be found in the relevant fascicule. You will also be asked what other UVs you are taking and the title of your diploma e.g. "Lettres Modernes". It is very helpful here to state that you are an ERASMUS exchange student because many teachers see you as a bonus to the class and less of a burden on him/her for marking etc. This again seems very complicated and pointless to those of us who have been spoiled by personal tutors and UCAS forms but once you have done it a


couple of times it won't seem so bad and it's a great way to meet French friends who will be moaning about the system just as hard as you!

Student Services Unlike British students, the French do not regard university and social life as synonymous. In France, there is no equivalent of the Students' Union as we know it. The faculté is for working, and socialising is kept for outside. There are no bars, nightclubs or games rooms on campus and the coffee bars and the Restau-U are purely functional. There is also an absence of clubs and societies other than academic ones, due to classes finishing so late in the evening, so life at the fac can be lonely. However, especially if you are part of the modern languages department, the academic societies can be fun. There is bound to be an Anglo-French society where you will meet friendly people who are more than willing to take you on. Also, with Sport being increasingly offered as an UV option, sporting clubs are quite popular and you can do anything from Martial Arts to Rugby. Bear in mind though that student sports services are usually offered during the day, which can pose problems with timetable clashes especially in big cities. You also have to be very careful about missing training sessions or not going to the assigned hours without giving notice to the person in charge. As places are limited you may find yourself losing yours for someone on the waiting list. Unfortunately, there is not a great deal of student support at most universities in France. There is a distinct lack of student services available, and if there are any, you normally have to pay for them. There is the CROUS, which will help students find accommodation as well as work. The services available will depend on the size of the university, but there is usually a health centre as well as a service called Médecine Préventive. They offer free AIDS tests, free medical tests and free inoculations. For such services you may wish to see a doctor outside of the University. You will also find that most towns have offices dedicated to the welfare of students and many of these organise activities and excursions to interesting places. Go along to your local CROUS office or the CRIJ (Centre Regional d‟Information Jeunesse) or find out about student organisations and offices who will put you in touch with other students who share your interests. A very useful website with info on almost everything concerning student life is:

Mature Students You will notice in France that there are very few older students at the facultés and mature students may feel slightly out of place. However, generally they are just as warmly welcomed as their younger colleagues. The only problems that might occur with being older than the average student are administrative. If you obtained entrance to university by doing an access course then you must have the certificate officially translated or stamped by your home university. If you are over the age of 26 you may be told that your EHIC is not sufficient for medical cover on your year abroad. Students 28 and older must obtain private health insurance. Provided you and all your dependants are named on it and you are an EU national then there should be no problem but you may like to check with the place of issue or the National Insurance Contributions Office in Newcastle before you leave the UK. Student discounts also tend to be only for the under 26s on public transport but showing some kind of student ID will gain you cheaper entrance to most museums and the theatre/cinema. If you are planning to bring children abroad with you and enrol them in school in France then you must make the application to the school in March of the preceding year, although we know students who have enrolled their children as late as September. You must have an up to date record of your child's vaccinations, usually available from your GP in the form of a computer print-out. Primary and


secondary education is free in France but all children must be insured against damage to school property, other pupils and themselves during school hours. This policy costs 9 Euros for the basic cover a year and is available from the MAE. For more information: The only special service, which appears widely available, is a crèche for students with children, usually found on the site at the university.

Semester Dates and Holidays Students In France the academic year begins in September or October and ends in May or June. The exact starting and ending dates vary from institution to institution and from program to program. There are several breaks during the year: 2 weeks in December-January for Christmas and the New Year 1 week in February for winter break 2 weeks in late March–early April for the Easter break Quite a few holidays fall in May: May 1 (Labor Day), May 8 (Victory Day, marking the end of the Second World War in Europe), Ascension Thursday, and Lundi de Pentecôte. Summer vacation stretches over the entire months of July and August, and sometimes includes parts of June and September as well. Assistants As you will be working for the Education Nationale you will get more time off than the exchange students. There is a break for one week at the end of October or beginning of November for La Toussaint, two weeks at Christmas, two weeks at the end of February, two weeks at Easter and possibly a further week for Pentecôte. Semester dates and hence holiday dates vary around France depending on what zone of the country you live in, but this information is easily obtained. The SNCF has a list of the school holidays in its brochures. There are a great number of jours fériés in France, especially in the spring. Everything is usually closed on these days but the large stores in main towns are often open. However, on May 1st, National Labour Day, it is very rare to find anybody working. In some towns there are not even any bus services. Libraries The library system is rather more complicated in French universities than in Britain and can tend to be much noisier. There are several reasons for this, though the major factor is of course the high student population and the lack of resources to cater for them all. The result of this is that taking books out of the library is difficult, usually a day long project. Unlike your home University library there probably won't be an elaborate library computer system with many search terminals and on closer observation you may discover that there are a limited number of books! There is sometimes a small selection of popular reference books available to hand but for the most part to find the book that you are looking for you have to search through piles of index cards and ask the librarian to find the one that you want from the store. This can take up to 3 hours. You are allowed to take between five and ten books out at a time and you may keep them for up to three weeks but of course this will vary from university to university. Inter-library loans are possible so ask at the information desk. The main library is a good place to work, with huge rooms full of tables open to students. However, these do get terribly busy - and sometimes noisy - during the day and the


library shuts at the same time as lessons finish. Some university libraries are also open on a Saturday morning. In the better-stocked libraries, cassettes and videotapes are also available. The good news is that most UFRs have their own departmental libraries and they are generally quieter than the main library. However, you have to have membership to use them and you are still not allowed to browse through the books; you have to ask a librarian to help you. At some universities you may not even be able to take books out of these specialised libraries and may have to ask for permission. If you are really desperate for a book, most towns have a FNAC shop, which offers a 5% discount on study books and tutors at the university often order course books in bulk from there so they should be readily available. If you want to buy second hand books, try and look for Gibert Jeune or Gibert Joseph in Paris and some of the bigger cities. If your university is lucky enough, it may have its own Videothèque where you can go and watch films in VO (Version Originale). There is a designated room, which receives satellite television and has a number of televisions and video-recorders that are at your disposal.

Local Libraries Local libraries are not nearly as well-stocked with academic books as the universities are, but they are nevertheless worth joining, not only to allow you a greater quota of books but also for their often excellent reference facilities. As well as providing the town with general reading materials, the good libraries will have a large variety of newspapers and journals. It is often worth enquiring about its exact resources, especially if you have difficulty getting hold of up-to-date periodicals. In most regional capitals, the municipal library is an excellent resource for academic books with its special 'reference' section: all you need is to do is to leave some kind of document or proof of identity at the desk. In this 'reference' section you do not have direct access to the books; the system is much like the university one but in this case you can take out as many books as you like to refer to at a given time, although you cannot take books home. The municipal libraries often have a record library and also offer an excellent film-video section with borrowing facilities. There are even rooms for groups of people wishing to watch the same film. Some libraries also have a stock of audio language courses with a range of different languages that you can learn. Obviously, the facilities will vary from town to town but it is definitely worth seeking out all the resources available, as you will probably not always be satisfied with the university. Be prepared though as access to books is often more limited than in the UK and you may have to search through index cards, requesting a specific book as opposed to browsing. Consulate/American Libraries If you have a British Consulate office in your town, or perhaps an American Cultural Centre/library, they are both worth consulting, especially if you are looking for English books. A small fee may be requested on joining these libraries. National Archives The largest and best known national libraries are concentrated for the most part in Paris. One of the best known is of course the Bibliothèque Publique d'Information du Centre Georges Pompidou, 19, rue Beaubourg, Paris, 46ième, Métro Chatelet-Les-Halles (tel: website: Here 400,000 books are kept on all subjects and there are 1,300 seats for students to study at; you will find videos, records, cassettes, special language labs, specialist journals, and every daily newspaper printed in France. It is open to everyone and it is free. At the Bibliothèque Nationale, 50, rue Richelieu, 75002 Paris (tel: 53.79..59.59, you will find copies of almost all the newspapers printed since François 1 er and an impressive collection of first editions and manuscripts. Unfortunately, access to the research library is limited to students in


the troisième cycle (see the Guide Pratique de la Bibliothèque Nationale, Z798, reference book, for more specific details on the library). A French student will need a carte d'étudiant en thèse or a certificate from his/her research supervisor in order to be given access for research purposes. International students will need to have either a letter from their Embassy or letter from the 'Service Culturel' of a French Embassy/Consulate; alternatively, they should present a letter from a tutor explaining their reasons for research to the directors of the library itself. General Points on Libraries in France For admission in nearly all libraries and archives, researchers are required to present a passport for identification purposes and usually some kind of scholarly credentials either from a supervisor or a dean of a department bearing the seal of the university. An introduction from a Professor at a French university is probably the most useful of all. The Cultural Attachés (Attachés Culturels) of your Embassy/Consulate can also provide a letter of introduction. Upon presentation of the appropriate documents, the library will usually issue some sort of card. You may also need a signed passport photo for this. Once admitted, you will be treated like any other French researcher. If you wish to join a municipal library all you will need is a 'justificatif de résidence' to prove that you live in the town. You can get this from your landlord. You may possibly also need some official identification and you may be asked to pay a small fee.. NB: Some advisors stress the importance of the word chercheur in library jargon, recommending that in all cases you provide yourself with a letter of recommendation from your research supervisor, preferably referring to you by that term. Many specialised collections are open only to those defined as chercheurs.

Specialist Libraries It is impossible to give an exhaustive list of all the libraries and research centres available for consultation in France. However, full detailed information about specialist, university, public and general libraries is available at the website of the Association of French Libraries (Association des bibliothécaires francais), which includes very useful links for all library services. Below are some national and university libraries, which may be of interest to you. If you are looking for a library specialising in a particular area, it is worth consulting your home university library for a directory of all the libraries in the country and their area of interest. Alternatively, for information concerning the above, write to or phone: Cellule-Acceuil-Information-Orientation 90, rue de Tolbiac, 75834 Paris,Cedex l3 Tel: Below is only a very modest sample of what is available in France: La Bibliothèque de l'Arsenal, which specialises in the performing arts and in literature. 1, rue Sully, 75004 Paris. Tel: 01 53 01 25 25 Website : La Bibliothèque historique de la ville de Paris, for a history of the capital. Hotel Lamoignon 24 Pavée, 75004 Paris. Tel: 01 44 59 29 40 La Bibliothèque Marguerite Durand, for feminism and women's history. 79 rue Nationale, 75013 Paris. Tel: 01 23 82 76 77


La Bibliothèque Sainte Geneviève 10, Place du Panthéon, Paris. Tel: 01 44 41 97 97 Website: La Bibliothèque du C.N.R.S. (Centre national de la recherche scientifique) 3, rue Michel-Ange, 75794 Paris cedex 16 Tel: 01 44 96 40 00 La Bibliothèque du Conservatoire National des Arts et Méties 292, rue saint Martin, 75003 Paris. Tel: 01 40 27 27 03 Website: La Documentation Française, has a press library (i.e collections of press cuttings from a wide range of press sources) which deals with international affairs. 29-31, Quai Voltaire, 75344 Paris. Tel: 01 40 15 71 10 Website: INSEE L'Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques for statistical information. 18, Bld Adolphe Pinare, Paris. Website: Institut d'Etudes Politiques, book library only for use of science-po students. Excellent for press and periodicals but restricted to students preparing dissertations or theses. Ask your tutor for a letter of introduction which means you can buy a ticket for entry for visits. It has an excellent cross-reference system and they also provide an 'abstract' of each article to give you an idea of what it is about. Website: La Bibliothèque de Documentation Internationale Contemporaine specialises in International Relations during the twentieth century, the history of World War I and II and the history of Europe between the wars; other areas include: USSR, USA and Middle East and the history of the Working Class Movement. BDIC, Centre universitaire, 6, allée de l'Université, 92001 Nanterre. Tel: 01 40 97 79 01 Website: Fichier National des Thèses at Nanterre University (Paris X) offers a national collection of doctoral theses completed in French universities in the following subjects: law, economics, business studies, arts and humanities, human sciences and theology. The library does not have the theses on the premises but has all the information on the theses: name of the author, type of doctorate etc. You can either consult the information on the premises or you could write to them with enquiries at the following address: Fichier National des Thèses, Université de Paris X - Nanterre, 200, avenue de la République, 92001 Nanterre Cedex. Tel: 01 40 97 79 00 If you do wish to write, it is important that you specify the subject, discipline, key-words etc. which relate to your studies. The first 10 references are free CARAN (Centre d'Accueil et de Recherche des Archives Nationales) is France's major storehouse of governmental records and public administration documents, to which you can also refer if you are in need of information particularly on provincial archives. Admission is by carte de lecteur, which is issued at the bureau d'accueil on presentation of passport and attestation of your status as chercheur. 11 rue des Quatre Fils, 75003 Paris Tel: 01 40 27 64 19

Books on libraries in France There are several reference books available, which give information about all the different libraries in France: * Libraries and Archives in France: a handbook E.K Welsh, 1979 an excellent index section allows the student to find libraries in his/her particular field, details of library facilities, services, admission requirements and opening times, though most libraries are Paris-based.


* * *

Bibliothèques et Archives: Comment se documenter? A. Chanleur, 1980. Libraries in France J. Ferguson, 1971. Libraries in Paris: a student's guide L.M Newman.

Paying Your Way France is expensive but it is relatively easy to find employment and ease the financial strain of the year abroad. With the SMIC (France's minimum wage policy), you can be guaranteed at least 8.03 € an hour even for the most menial work, private work often a little lower. Please note that student jobs are often highly solicited. However you tackle your finances, getting a French bank account is a must, particularly if you intend to work.

French Banks You have the right to open a bank account free of charge if you have been in France less than two years. According to some students, many banks are not particularly friendly towards International students opening accounts but most people find that Crédit Lyonnais, Crédit Agricole, Banque Populaire, Crédit Commercial de France and Société Générale are the most sympathetic. However, do be wary of Crédit Agricole. A number of students have had problems with them because they were not French nationals. Instead of giving International students a normal French bank account, they have been known to been given a compte étranger which provides very limited services. Crédit Lyonnais offers a special student service and has staff who will help you open your account. They also offer you a cash point card (only usable in CL machines), a chequebook and a Carte Bleue (like a Switch card). If you are not a student and you want a Carte Bleue, then you have to pay for it. The price is approximately 30 € for two years. You may be offered a choice between a national or an international card, the difference being that the latter permits you to use the card outside France in bank machines and as a credit card. Your account is then debited in France. Société Générale are also very student friendly with a good range of services. In France the student service sector is still developing so go to a couple of banks before you open an account to find out about their services. Carte Bleue (Debit Card) This is by far the most convenient method of payment in France. Your identity is verified via chip and pin rather than signature, just like in the UK. They are accepted almost everywhere including motorway toll booths, car parks and automatic ticket machines. Cheques There is a relatively new agreement between banks in Europe, which provides a very convenient alternative to the Eurocheque. If you wish to send money from France to someone in Britain, you can do this by simply writing a French cheque in pounds sterling. You must check with your bank how to fill in the cheque correctly, and also enquire as to whether you will be charged for the transaction. It seems that with small amounts of about thirty or forty pounds there is no charge but as soon as the figure rises, so does the commission rate. Overdrafts of up to about 460 € can be arranged with your bank but they MUST be arranged prior to going into the red: failure to do so may mean you are breaking the law. There is no automatic overdraft facility for students and any arranged overdraft will not function in the same way as in Britain so read all the small print before you sign anything. You will probably have to provide proof of income such as a grant or parental contribution.

To open a bank account you will need:


    

A student card or letter from your host university. Local student card, home university attestation Proof of residence (see carte de séjour) Passport and/or birth certificate A large cheque, traveller‟s cheques or cash and proof that you have some kind of income such as a grant cheque, a British bank reference or a letter from your parents saying that they will support you.

You will have to sign a declaration promising not to become overdrawn before you can open your account. It will be opened immediately and you will receive your chequebook and cash point card within 3 weeks. For some cash point cards you have to pay a subscription fee of about £10 but this means you will not have to pay commission on each withdrawal. You will not be given a cheque guarantee card as they are not necessary, but will probably be asked to present a piece of identification when you write a cheque. Try to look relatively smart when you go to open your account as you will find people are more polite if you make an effort, and of course, the bigger the sum you deposit, the better you can expect to be treated.


Under EU law, all residents of the EU have the right to seek employment in France, and do not require a work permit to do so. The only conditions that apply to this law are that you are in possession of a full British or new European Passport and that you are not a Commonwealth citizen who has right of abode in the UK. Your passport must state that you are a British Citizen and have had right of abode in the UK since 1983. International students have the right to work in France if they have a residency permit and are enrolled in an institution that participates in the student health plan of the French social protection system (Sécurité Sociale). Even first-time visitors to France and students enrolled in the first year of postsecondary education enjoy the right to work. The work week in France (annually averaged) is 35 hours. French law allows foreign students to work no more than 884 hours in a given year. That translates to half-time employment (19.5 hours per week) during the academic year and full-time during vacations. On entry, a worker seeking employment is allowed „a reasonable period‟ (normally up to three months) to find a job. Once work has been obtained or s/he is established in business, s/he must apply for a special residence permit for nationals of member states of the EU. These permits are valid for the period of employment if it is likely to be less than 12 months; otherwise they are valid for 5 years and automatically renewable. A worker's dependants are also entitled to residence permits, which are required by all foreigners residing in France for more than three months. With EU law allowing freedom of movement in order to seek work, one would have thought that finding a job in France was a relatively simple task. Unfortunately, it is quite the opposite. There seems to have been a delay in the enforcement of the law and people are often faced with frustrating difficulties despite being a member of the European Union. The Préfecture will not give you one unless you have a contrat de travail. It is an unnecessary vicious circle and there is very little that can be done about it at present.


A worker's spouse who is not a national of an EU member state should apply for a visa or make enquiries at a French Consulate before travelling to France. Employment and Social Security If you are employed in France, you will normally be subject to French Social Security legislation and be liable to pay contributions to the French schemes for pensions, sickness (including health care) and unemployment benefit. The French employer should obtain a Social Security number for you. As a rule, you would be required to show your full translated birth certificate in order to join the French Social Security scheme. Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU) This entitles foreigners residing in France to get basic comprehensive health cover. The contributions are deducted from your salary once you have a Social Security number and French employer. Information on the French schemes and your entitlement to benefit under them can be obtained from:  Your local Caisse Primaire D'Assurance Maladie (CPAM), regarding pensions and sickness benefit and family allowances;  The local Association pour l'emploi dans l'Industrie et le Commerce (ASSEDIC), in respect of unemployment benefit,  The French Embassy in London or from the National Insurance Contributions Office, International Services, Longbenton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE98 IZZ. Non-EU Nationals intending to work in France should enquire at the nearest French ConsulateGeneral (addresses at the end). Student Employment Student employees who are UK nationals do not need a work permit; the student employee is advised to obtain from his/her employer a Contrat de Travail on the standard form. Student employees may be required to contribute to the French Social Security scheme. UK nationals may be entitled to immediate health treatment provided through the French scheme under the European Community Social Security regulations but form El28 will be required. (The above information was found in a leaflet provided by the Consular Services in Paris, entitled Residence in France). The local employment agency, l'Agence Nationale pour l'emploi (ANPE), may also be a useful starting point. To go through the ANPE you need to register with them and you should usually have some kind of proof of the work-experience or skills you want to indicate on the form. The local CROUS office offers a job-finding service: all you have to do is fill in a form outlining your skills and work experience and they may be able to find something for you. The minimum wage, le SMIC, is 8.03 € per hour and you will pay between 16% and 20% Sécurité Sociale (National Insurance). France introduced a 35 hour working week in 2000. For information concerning work contracts, employment, etc. ask for a leaflet from your local CIDJ (Centre d' Information et de documentation de Jeunesse). Many CIDJ offices have an office set aside for information on employment and courses on offer. They should also have counsellors who will help you. Alternatively, look in the 'Petites Annonces' section of the local and national newspapers, where jobs are advertised. Don't forget to consult the 'free' local papers where you are more likely to find local work. Some universities may have a bureau des stages and the notice boards are usually a good way of finding internships specific to the field of the UFR. Some useful websites are:

37 Free Anglophone publication available in most pubs and at WH Smith (most readily available in Paris). When you go in search of work, whether it be a bar job or an office job, you will invariably be asked to provide them with a copy of your Curriculum Vitae. You may also be asked for a photograph. It may, therefore be a good idea to write up a CV in French before you leave. Your CV should not exceed one page A4 size, unless you have much relevant work experience or special skills that could interest the employer. A typed version is the standard in France. Manuscript copies tend to leave a bad impression. McDonalds employs a large number of students for a maximum of 19 hours a week. It's reputed to be hard labour and you earn the SMIC, but it is one of the easiest ways of finding part-time work. If you are looking through the job section of the newspaper DO NOT be misled by the word Hôtesse. This has nothing to do with working in a restaurant or hotel. The employers are looking for women to welcome male customers into their bars or restaurants. These women are high-class escorts and are expected to flirt with men. More often than not they are expected to spend the night with them even though it is not part of their job description. For general information on CIDJ, write to: Centre d' Information et de Documentation Jeunesse, 101, quai Branly, 75740 Paris Cedex 15 Tel: 01 44 49 12 00 Teaching English privately is a good way to earn money; there is almost always a demand for this at universities, so try putting your advertisement upon the student boards. You can also place advertisements in the local papers for about 8 € a week. There are many people that offer English lessons but there are very few who are native English speakers. However, if you are a woman, be very careful about the kind of advert you write and if people telephone and are interested under NO circumstances invite them to your home or go to their home. It is more advisable to meet them in a public place, such as a café, so that you do not put yourself in any danger. The majority of people are genuine but there have been cases where women have been attacked. This is not meant to put you off teaching privately; it is simply to say that you must be vigilant. If you do teach privately, do not be afraid of asking for the going rate. It is not advisable to undercut other people, and usually the person is prepared to pay the norm. Depending on the level of the student and your competence as a teacher, you can earn around £10 an hour. It is worth asking around before you offer any price. Baby-sitting is always a good way of earning extra pocket money and French families always seem to be keen on having International students to look after their children. Again, it is a matter of putting up notices in shop windows and consulting notice boards and newspapers. Otherwise contact: Alliance Française 101, boulevard Raspail 75006 Paris Tel: 45 44 38 28 Au Pair: Keep an eye out for personal ads in the papers by families looking for 'foreign' girls to au pair. Or apply to the following address for further information: Relations Internationales Accueil Familial des Jeunes Étrangers 23, rue du Cherche-Midi, 75006 Paris Tel: 42 22 50 34

38 www. Au pair work is listed in the Lady magazine and in general working holiday magazines. The following agencies may also provide further information on au pair work: Euroyouth: (01702) 341434 Hotel and Catering Work: You can either go round all the hotels and restaurants in your area to enquire about jobs, (a good way to present yourself too) or else you may well wish to buy a copy of 'Hôtellerie', a specialist magazine published all year round which advertises jobs available. In addition, the Syndicat Général des Hôteliers will run an advertisement for you (at no cost): Syndicat Général des Hôteliers 22, Av de la Grande Armée, 75017 Paris Tel: 43 80 08 29 L'Hôtellerie 5, Rue Antoine, Bourdelle 75015 Paris Tel: 45 48 64 64

Some UK employment agencies who deal with work overseas are registered with the Federation of Recruitment and Employment Services (FRES). If you write to them before you leave they may be able to help you. Their address is: FRES 36-38 Mortimer Street, London W1W 7RG Tel: 0207 4623260 Fax: 02072552878 Website:

Publications which may be useful include, prices quoted from website: The Directory of Jobs and Careers Abroad (£12.95) Teaching English Abroad (£14.95) The Au Pair and Nanny's Guide to Working Abroad (£12.95) Live and Work in France. (£10.99) All these titles are distributed by: Vacation Work 9 Park End Street Oxford OX1 1HJ

Tel: (01865) 241978

Please note that discounted prices are available if bought over the web at

Travel in France The French are very good at giving discounts and special deals to students. With an ISIC card you can usually travel for 50-75% of the full fare. By Train The French have a very up-to-date and efficient railway system. Trains are, by our standards, spotlessly clean, very comfortable and rarely late! Unfortunately services to smaller towns are not always direct and sometimes the simplest journey can involve lots of changes and waiting around. The price of the ticket is measured on a kilometric scale so a return ticket is double the price of a single. For up-to-date information on timetables and fares check the SNCF website on where there may be relevant advance purchase deals.


BEWARE! Before departure you must validate your ticket by using the orange or yellow dating and numbering machines (composteur) in all stations. If you do not do this the ticket controller on the train will fine you. If you want to be sure of a seat you should make a reservation. The cost of reserving a seat is approximately 3 €. The charge is compulsory for the TGV. Couchettes: If you travel by night you may wish to book a couchette (the supplement is about 15 €). If you want to book a sleeper the supplement is from 40 € to 135 € depending on the standard of accommodation.

Billetterie automatique is a useful way of obtaining a ticket if you are in a hurry and there are queues at the ticket office. Just select your destination and the number of tickets and reservations desired. You can pay by cash or credit card. These machines are also a useful way of obtaining information about train fares and timetables if the queue is too long at the ticket office.

Discounts SNCF (French Railways) divide the week up into white and blue periods. Blue (peak) times are usually Friday afternoons and all day Saturday; white days are Sundays and Monday mornings and the rest of the week is a blue period unless there are school or public holidays, in which case, most of the weekend becomes a white period. Ticket prices and discounts vary according to the colour. For students, which in this case means under 25s, the following deals are available: Carte 12-25 This can be purchased from French Railways in Piccadilly Circus in London (between the Ritz and Fortnum and Mason). It costs around 42 € and is valid for a year. It entitles you to 50% of all fares, except TGV during blue periods and 25% off during white periods. The “Carte” is well worth the money as you will easily make your money back after a few long trips. For example, it gives you Eurostar return tickets for about £49 (London-Paris) and you might even pay as little as £17 for promotional offers around Christmas.

Other Discounts Groups: If you travel in a group of between 6 and 24 people you can get a reduction of 20% of the full price of a ticket in 1st or 2nd class. For a group of 25 people or more, the reduction increases to 30%. A reservation in these two cases is obligatory. Prem’s: Only available online, and if you book at least two weeks ahead, this special deal offers you cheap train tickets between major cities in France. For more information please see Dernière minute: Last minute deals available online, for more information see at

The Métro Underground systems now exist in Marseille, Lyon, Lille, Rennes and Toulouse as well as in Paris. On the Paris métro, a one-price rate is applied whatever the length of the journey in zones 1 & 2. The introduction of the carte orange allows you, by buying a monthly or annual ticket, to travel freely by bus or tube in the Paris transport area. Since the introduction of the carte orange, there are no more special reductions for students in the Paris area but the weekly ticket remains valid for a fixed journey. If you want to buy a year long metro ticket “Imagine R”, ask for a form as soon as you arrive as it may take up to three weeks for it to be ready (


By Bus An advantage of the French bus system is that one ticket will give you unlimited travel within the town. There is a time limit for each ticket, which is usually an hour, but can vary depending on the size of the town. Unfortunately, buses tend to stop very early in the evenings (between 8pm and 9pm), although there is often a limited night bus service. There are buses on Sundays but again they are few in number. Students can usually buy carnets of tickets at half price or less by applying for a special discount card at the head office of the local bus company or by showing student ID. Tickets can be bought in advance from Tabacs. If you are in a town where there is a Metro system, bus and metro tickets are usually interchangeable. Just as you must stamp your train ticket, so you must validate your bus ticket as you get on the bus by having it stamped by a machine. Plain-clothes inspectors frequently check to see if you have done this and will fine you if you haven't, even if you have a ticket. Note that in France the SNCF has a monopoly on long-distance travel and there is NO national coach service as an alternative. The only coach service that exists is a departmental service where coaches travel out to the villages and towns in the region. They are infrequent and few in number. Go to your local Gare Routière to find out times. There are usually bus services between the town and the local airport. The reason for this lack of public transport is that most French people travel by car. Daily life revolves around the car, and without one, it often proves difficult to get around. If you have the opportunity to take a car with you to France, you will find travelling much easier. However, in the big cities there is no need for a car, indeed car parking can be a problem. Hitch-hiking It is illegal to hitch hike on motorways in France. However, there are ways of getting around this problem with Allostop. This is a national organisation running a car-share system. It has offices in Paris at 8 rue Rochambeau (tel: as well as Bordeaux, Dijon, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Nantes, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg and Toulouse.

Post and Telephones Public phones The phone system has rapidly moved from a coin-box system to a phone card system. In France it is much more difficult to find coin boxes in towns although many bars and cafés still have coin operated machines which is good to know in case of an emergency. The télécarte can be obtained at postoffices and tobacconists. If you have neither a phone card nor the right change to make a call, you can always use your Carte Bleue to make a call. Obviously it is more expensive than any other payment but it is worth knowing about in case you are faced with an emergency. You call from a card phone box and when you place your card in the slot, you are asked for your PIN number. Directory enquiries: As of the 3rd April 2006 the directory enquiries number (12) has been replaced by a number of companies offering their services at different rates. Here are a few numbers which you can dial for directory enquiries, please note that the rate may vary considerably from one company to the next. 118 000; 118 001; 118 007; 118 008; 118 218; 118 712.


Phoning the UK: to dial direct, phone 00-44- and then the UK number with the first zero left off - i.e. to call 01273 606755, you dial 00-44-1273-606755. A reverse charge call to the UK is very expensive and it is advisable to keep calls to an absolute minimum! Skype Skype is an internet-based service which will allow you to chat to your family back home and friends elsewhere in the world for free. You will however need a headset, speakers or USB phone, and to then download the software onto your computer (as will the person you want to talk to). For further details go to: Private telephones There are many different companies in France which can offer you various rates. You may also find internet deals which include a telephone line and digital television. Mobile phones can be converted to work in France at favourable terms. Whilst calls transmitted or received on a mobile to and from Britain cost a fortune, the local rate and national tariffs are often quite reasonable. Contact your UK supplier for details of mobile transfer. To buy a mobile can be very expensive in France although it is worth shopping around. Post In each big town you will find a central post office. Most post-offices are open: Mon-Fri 08.00-18.00/19.00 (sometimes closing at lunch-time between 12.00 and 14.00/15.00); Sat 08.00-12.00.

Safety and Welfare As a foreigner, you are usually less able to detect danger signs and therefore are slightly more at risk from crime. Follow the same precautions as you would at home. Hold on tightly to your bags, especially in a crowd, and keep your wallet close to your body so that it cannot be taken without you noticing. Pickpockets are common, especially around groups of foreigners. In addition, it is worth remembering that the less conspicuous you look, the less interest you will be likely to provoke. If for example you have to consult a map, it is better to do it in a café than to advertise that you are unsure of your surroundings. If you lose any personal belongings or documents go directly to the police and report it. Your behaviour will also play a part in your personal safety. Young people in Europe do not in general drink to get drunk so ensure that you check the behaviour of your peer group in bars, cafés and discos. If one of your friends is the worse for wear, do make sure that you accompany him/her home. You will find that your dress code will also influence the way you are treated. Young women in short skirts and bare midriffs may find themselves verbally and physically harassed; again look to your peer group for guidelines on not causing offence to locals and avoid making yourself unnecessarily vulnerable. Avoiding Theft The only way to avoid theft is to be constantly on your guard; never take out large sums of money unless absolutely necessary and if possible keep your documents and money in a wallet, which you can keep on your person, rather than in a bag, which can be easily snatched. If you are robbed, you should report it to the police immediately. If you lose your credit cards or bank cards then get in touch with your bank as soon as you can to have them stopped; banks at home and abroad provide emergency numbers for use in the event of loss or theft, so be sure to make a note of the numbers and keep it separate from the cards themselves.


In the event of loss of documents, the police will write out a temporary form which will cover you whilst you are in the process of obtaining new papers, which you should do via the nearest British Consulate. If you find yourself without any access to cash, without your passport, or in any other serious kind of trouble, the Consulate will try to help. In the unlikely event that you are arrested for a serious offence, insist on the Consulate being informed: you will be contacted as soon as possible by a consular officer who can advise on local procedures, etc. If you lose your French cheque book report the theft immediately because no identification is required when writing a cheque in France! Contrôle d'Identité Under French Law, all citizens and tourists must carry identification (ID card or passport) in case they are stopped and questioned by the police for any reason. Helplines and Information Centres:  AIDS: Aids Hotline Paris Tel 01 53 27 63 00  Le centre gay et lesbien: 3, rue Keller, BP 255, 75524 Paris, Cedex 11. Tel: 01 43 57 21 47.  Rape Crisis information: Viol Femme Information (Paris) Tel: 01 05 05 95 95.  SOS Viol: this rape helpline can be called free from anywhere in France Tel: 0 800 05 95 95  SOS Drogue International: 379, avenue de Président Wilson, 93210 La Plaine-Saint-Denis Tel: 01 55 87 55 55.  SOS Dépression: Tel: 01 40 47 95 95  SOS Help: this is an English language help line: Paris Tel: 01 46 21 46 46  SOS Médicins: Paris Tel: 01 47 07 77 77  Dental SOS: 01 43 37 51 00  SOS Psychiatry 01 47 07 24 24  Pharmacie ‘Le Champs’: 24-hour opening including Sundays and Holidays. 84 Av des ChampsElysées, 75008 Paris. Tel: 01 45 62 02 41

Useful Contact Details and Websites

In Manchester Departmental Erasmus Coordinator Please complete this section with the details of the Erasmus contact in your School. Name: Email: Tel: Fax:


Responsible for:

the administration of all aspects of your Erasmus exchange with the exception of financial matters (e.g. the application procedure; advice about course selection – level of courses / number of credits to take; any changes you may make to your course choices once abroad; any academic difficulties you experience whilst abroad; and module registration for your final year courses at Manchester). Erasmus application queries and all academic-related enquiries.

Contact point for:

Study Abroad Unit Jenny Gonzalez Hogg – Study Abroad Adviser for Outgoing Students Email: Tel: Fax: Responsible for: +44 (0)161 275 3053 +44 (0) 161 275 2058 the administration of the financial aspects of your Erasmus exchange and for collecting the necessary paperwork from you that must be returned in order to be eligible to receive the Erasmus grant money. any queries regarding the Erasmus grant or the reimbursement of any pre-sessional language tuition costs. You can also contact Jenny if you have an urgent problem, or if you are having difficulty obtaining a response from your School. However, she cannot answer academic-related queries.

Contact point for:

Study Abroad Unit Caroline Whitehand – Manager, Study Abroad Unit Email: Tel: Fax: Contact point for: +44 (0) 161 275 3041 +44 (0) 161 275 2058 any issues you feel unable to raise with Jenny. Next point of contact in the Study Abroad Unit if Jenny is away from the office.

Student Support Services Email: Tel: Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 5000 Burlington Street: +44 (0) 161 275 7860 Sackville Street: +44 (0) 161 275 7100

Responsible for:

help with student issues including registration and fees, documentation, loans and grants and exams, as well as health and welfare issues. advice on money management (Student Money Advisor)

Contact point for:


Counselling Service Loans, grants and tuition fees Disability support

Erasmus Codes and Partner Websites You will need to know the Erasmus code for your home and partner institution when completing any Erasmus paperwork.

Erasmus code Institutional Coordinator Title Address

Telephone Fax E-mail

UK MANCHES01 Dr Caroline Whitehand Manager of the Study Abroad Unit International Development Rutherford Building The University of Manchester Oxford Road Manchester, M13 9PL United Kingdom +44 161 275 3041 +44 161 275 2058

However, please note that if you are asked for the signature of the Institutional Coordinator (e.g. on the application form or Learning Agreement), Manchester‟s policy is that only the Erasmus coordinator in your School (i.e. the „Departmental Coordinator‟) needs to sign this paperwork. Please do not bring such documents to the Study Abroad Unit for signing.

Erasmus Code

University Name

Host Website





France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France



France France France France France France France

British Consulate Addresses There are British Consulates in most major French cities. A Consulate can provide the following services:  Issue emergency passports;


     

Contact relatives and friends and ask them to help you with money or tickets; Advise you how to transfer funds; Advance against a sterling cheque for £50 supported by a banker's card; Provide a list of local lawyers and doctors; Give some guidance on organisations experienced in tracing missing persons; If you are arrested on a serious offence, insist on the British Consulate being informed. You will be contacted as soon as possible by a consular officer who can advise on local procedures, etc.  If you lose your money, passport or anything else abroad, report it first to the local police and obtain a statement about the loss. Then contact the Consulate if you still need help. If you need access to reading material in English it is often worth enquiring whether they offer a lending library facility - or perhaps they may know of one.
Paris | Ambassade Adresse : 35, rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré 75008 Paris Tél: Fax : Internet : Paris | Section Consulaire Adresse : 16, rue d'Anjou 75008 Paris Tél: Fax : Bordeaux | Consulat général Adresse : 353, boulevard du Président Wilson 33073 Bordeaux Tél: Fax : Lille | Consulat général Adresse : 11, square Dutilleul - 59800 Lille Tél: Fax :

Lyon | Consulat général Adresse : 24, rue Childebert - 69002 Lyon Tél: Fax :

Marseille | Consulat général Adresse : 24, avenue du Prado 13006 Marseille Tél: Fax :

Amiens | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : c/o Ecole Supérieure de Commerce 18, place Saint-Michel 80000 Amiens Tél: Fax : Courriel : Cherbourg | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : c/o "P&O European Ferries" Gare maritime TransManche BP 46 50652 Cherbourg Cedex Tél: Courriel : caron.nadege.gerard@wan

Biarritz | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : "ASKENIAN" - 7, boulevard Tauzin 64200 Biarritz Tél: Fax :

Boulogne-sur-Mer | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : Cabinet Barron "La clarté" 28, rue Saint Jean 62200 Saint-MartinBoulognbe Tél: Fax : Courriel :

Calais | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : c/o P&O Ferries 41, place d'armes 62100 Calais Tél: Fax : Courriel :

Clermont-Ferrand | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : Résidence Carré de Jaude 39, rue Bonnabaud 63000 ClermontFerrand Tél:


Le Havre | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : c/o Louis Dreyfus Lines SAS - Terminal de la citadelle BP 90746 76060 Le Havre Tél: Fax : Courriel : benjamin.maslen@wanado Nice | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : 26, avenue Notre Dame 06000 Nice Tél: Fax : Courriel :

Lorient | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : c/o Plastimo - 15, rue de l'Ingénieur Verrière BP 435 56325 Lorient Cedex Tél: Fax : Courriel :

Montpellier | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : 271 Le Capitole - Bât.A - 64, rue Alcyone 34000 Montpellier Tél: Fax :

Nantes | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : Cabinet d'Avocats - 16, boulevard Guist'Hau BP 22026 44020 Nantes Tél: Fax : Courriel : angelastokes@france

Toulouse | Consulat Honoraire Adresse : English Enterprises - 8, allée du Comminges 31300 Toulouse Tél: Fax : Courriel :

CROUS Offices and Youth Hostels Aix-Marseille Cité Abram, 6 Av Benjamin-Abram, 13261 Aix-en-Provence Tel: 04.42 16 13 13 3, Av Marcel Pagnol, Aix-en-Provence Tel: 04.42 20 15 99 25, rue Saint-Leu, 80005 Amiens Tel: 03.2271 24 00 38, Av de l' Observatoire, 25001, Besançon Tel: 03.81 48 46 46 18, rue du Hamel, 33033 Bordeaux. Tel: 05.56 33 92 00 23, Av de Bruxelles, 14070 Caen Cedex Tel: 68, Rue Eustache Restout, 14000 Caen. Tel: 02.31 52 19 96 3, rue du Docteur-Maret, 21012 Dijon Tel: 03.80 40 40 40 5, rue d'Arsonval, 38019 Grenoble Tel: 08.25 00 10 49 18, Av du Grésivaudan, 38130 Echirolles Tel: 04.76 09 33 52






YHA Dijon





74, rue de Cambrai, 59043 Lille Tel: 03.20 88 66 00 12, rue Malpart, 59000 Lille Tel: 03.20 57 08 94 25, rue Camille Ray 69366 Lyon Tel: 04.72 80 17 70 51, rue Roger Salengrol, 69200 Venissieux Tel: 04.78 76 39 23 2, rue Monteil, 34033 Montpellier Tel: 04.67 41 50 00 2, impasse de la Petite Corraterie Rue des Ecoles Laïques 34000 Montpellier Tel: 04.67 60 32 22 2, Bld Guy Mollet, BP 52213 44322 Nantes Cedex 3 Tel: 02.40 37 13 13 1, Place Sainte Elisabeth 44042 Nantes Porte Neuve Tel: 02.40 20 63 63 18, Av des Fleurs, 06050 Nice Tel: 04.92 15 50 50 Route Forestière du Mont-Alban 06300 Tel: 04.93 89 23 64 39, Av Georges-Bernanos, 75005 Paris Tel: 01.40 51 36 00 80, rue Vitruve 75020 Tel: 01.40 32 34 56 34, Bld Henry-Vasnier, 51063 Reims Tel: 03.26 50 59 00 3 rue d'Herbouville, 76042 Rouen Tel: 02.32 08 50 00 1, quai du Maire-Dietrich, 67084 Strasbourg Tel: 03.88 21 28 00 9, Rue de l'Auberge de Jeunesse. Tel: 03.88 30 26 46 58, rue du Taur, 31070 Toulouse Tel: 05.61 12 54 00

YHA Lyon













YHA Toulouse


145bis, Bld de la Reine, 78005 Versailles Tel: 01.39 24 52 00



For fully comprehensive information about all the Youth Hostels in all French cities and towns Visit the website of the “Federation Unie des Auberges de Jeunesse” For a fully comprehensive guide to the CROUS network in France visit:


Useful websites
Rough Guides Lonely Planet

Both good sites for lots of practical info and advice, as well as a brief cultural background and some suggestions for further reading Both websites have been recommended by former students as having been useful when looking for accommodation Foreign and Commonwealth Office website
Search in the drop down menu under „Travel Advice‟ for info on local laws and customs, road safety, crime warnings, (planned) strike action updates, natural disasters, health advice and entry requirements for the country/ies you plan to travel through/to. Search in the drop down menu under „Country Profiles‟ for a summary of the economical and political situation and the history of the country/ies you will be travelling to.

French Embassy in London: 58 Knightsbridge London SW1X 7JT Telephone: (020) 7073 1000 Fax: (020) 7073 1004

French Consular Agency in Manchester: Davis Blank Furniss Solicitors – Mr Guy Robson 90 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2QJ. Tel: 0161 832 3304. Edufrance website:


Checklist 1. Prior to departure from Manchester Make sure you have all of the following documents and photocopies of the most important paperwork (passport, insurance docs, etc):  A passport valid throughout the duration of your stay and, for some countries, three six months afterwards  Travel insurance  Medical insurance (EHIC card + top-up cover)  ISIC Card (for discounts on travel, and in galleries/museums abroad)  Birth Certificate (check if your host institution requires this or not)  Recent passport photographs (about 8)  Out-status letter to prove you‟re a Manchester student on an Erasmus exchange (ask your School to produce this for you. Language studies students should collect this from the Residence Abroad Coordinator Dan Herman).  A copy of your completed ECTS Learning Agreement (detailing the courses you plan to take and  how many credits they are worth) signed by the Erasmus coordinator in your School  Transcript to show exam results of previous study at Manchester (ask your School to produce this for you)


 Original A level certificates (or equivalent)  Proof that you have sufficient income to support yourself while abroad in the form of evidence that you receive a student loan/grant or a letter from your parents stating that they will support you financially during the year or a recent bank statement  Contact details for the Erasmus coordinator in Manchester and at your host university  Prior to departure, you will also need to: Do as much research as possible on your destination university / region / country by reading guidebooks and the information in the Study Abroad resource library, looking at websites and speaking to past Erasmus students.  Research your accommodation options. arrival? What facilities are provided? bedding?). Do you need to pay a deposit prior to Will you need to bring anything (e.g.

 If planning to seek privately rented accommodation on arrival, you should book yourself into a local hotel/hostel for at least the first few nights.  Know how and when you will be registering at your host university.  Complete the paperwork to notify your LA you‟ll be going abroad, and what your term dates are.  Inform your bank that you are going on your year abroad and ask them to help you with Traveller‟s Cheques/Foreign Currency/ setting up online banking etc  Sort out travel arrangements and book tickets  Arrange with your home-doctor that you have supplies of any prescription medication that you may need while you are abroad  Visit the dentist and optician 2. On arrival  Register at host university (if you haven‟t already done so)  Register with any authorities (e.g. police) as required  Email Erasmus coordinator in Manchester to confirm your safe arrival and seek approval for courses you wish to take that have not already been pre-approved on your Learning Agreement  Update your term time address on the Student Services Centre Portal (  Ensure you understand the academic requirements and how you will be assessed at your host university  Open bank account (optional)

3. Before leaving your placement abroad  Make sure you‟ve obtained a Certificate of Attendance signed by the Erasmus coordinator


 Return a Student Report form to the Study Abroad Unit evaluating your Erasmus experience  Order a transcript (certificate of your exam results) to be sent to your Erasmus coordinator in Manchester  Pay all outstanding debts (phone bills, library fines, accommodation charges, etc)  Close your bank account


Certificate of Attendance



This is to certify that the following student from the University of Manchester (UK MANCHES01) has undertaken a study / work placement under the ERASMUS programme of the European Community: Name of student: Host organisation: Area of Study: Dates of Study: ……………………………………………….. ……………………………………………….. ……………………………………………….. Start: ……………… Finish: ……………….

Signed by:

University / Organisation Stamp

Position: (e.g. Erasmus Coordinator / International Officer / Human Resources Manager) Date: ……………………………… Please return this slip to:
Jenny Gonzalez Hogg Study Abroad Unit International Relations The Rutherford Building University of Manchester Oxford Road Manchester M13 9PL UK Fax: +44 161 275-2058 Erasmus Student Contract

Please make sure you have read and understood the conditions of your Erasmus placement as listed below. Failure to comply with these conditions may result in you being required to return any student mobility grants awarded under the Erasmus programme.

It is agreed that –
1. 2. the grant shall be a contribution towards the costs of the planned study / work period. written confirmation of the defined programme of study / work will be available to the Beneficiary prior to departure. Modifications to the planned study / work period shall be agreed to in writing. The University of Manchester shall ensure that the Beneficiary gains full Academic Recognition from the completed study / work period providing that the Host Institution / Organisation confirms that the agreed programme has been followed and assessments completed. the grant will not be used to cover costs already supported : by other European Community programmes such as Leonardo da Vinci and Fifth RTD Framework Programmes  under activities funded by European Community funds  by funds from any other sources (i.e. Bilateral cultural agreements, private donors, international bodies) the Beneficiary will inform their School of their address whilst abroad and will contact them immediately if they wish to leave the placement early.






a Student Report and a Certificate of Attendance for each period of work/ study shall be submitted to The University of Manchester by the student upon completion of the placement. The University of Manchester may withhold payment, or demand the reimbursement of, any grant paid or due if the Beneficiary fails to present his/her Report and / or Certificate of Attendance on the completion of the study / work period. the arrangement of sufficient insurance protection shall be the responsibility of the Beneficiary. the Beneficiary is still registered as a student at The University of Manchester whilst abroad and is bound by The University‟s regulations including those regarding conduct and behaviour.


8. 9.

10. this agreement is governed by the laws of the United Kingdom.



agree to the above conditions.

I understand that I may be requested to reimburse this grant if it is either not used for the purpose for which it is being awarded or if the agreed study / work period is not, or not completely, carried out. I also understand that the minimum eligible period for an Erasmus placement is 3 months and that if I return early, and my placement does not last for the minimum duration of 3 months, I will be required to re-pay in total any grant awarded. I understand that failure to comply with this clause may lead to legal action to enforce reimbursement. I declare that the following statement is true: “I am eligible to receive an Erasmus grant. I have not previously received an Erasmus grant and I am: [Please tick one box only]  a national of a Member State of the European Community or of another country participating in the LLP Erasmus programme or  officially recognised by the United Kingdom as a refugee, stateless person or permanent resident”. Signature of Student : Signature of Institution representative Name of Institution representative Jenny Gonzalez Hogg ………………………………………………… Date: Date: Position ……………………….. 1 June 2007 Study Abroad Adviser – Outgoing students

G:\international development\Relations\International Student Mobility\Erasmus\Erasmus 07-08\Outgoing\Master Docs\Student Contract.doc

Please return to: Jenny Gonzalez Hogg, Study Abroad Unit, Rutherford Building, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, M13 9PL. Tel: 0161 275 3053 / Fax: 0161 275 2058


Please note that the National Agency who have responsibility for Erasmus in the UK changed in 2007. The information contained in this guide is accurate at the time of production, but if the new agency make changes to any aspects of the Erasmus scheme throughout the first year of their administration, we will contact you by e-mail with the relevant information.


To top