Models for Health and Wellness
Multicultural and Cross-disciplinary
Perspectives on Health and Wellness
J. Ernest Aguilar, M.Div., Ph.D.
School of Health Sciences
• Culture Quiz
• Word Association
• Discussion: Seminar Questions
• Wrap up
• Assignments must meet the length
• Papers should be typed in 12-point font
• References and citations must be provided
for all information gathered from other
• Please use the spell check feature in Word
• Format for references and citations is
available in the Kaplan Writing Center
• All assignments are graded based on the
rubric found in the syllabus
• “Free Encyclopedia”
• “Anyone can edit”
• Content can not be
verified at any given moment
• Weekly Discussion Board
• To receive full credit, you must:
• Make your initial post by Saturday
• Post two (2) responses to your
• If you choose the Live Seminar (Option 1),
your grade depends on
• Substantive Participation
• Frequent interactions on concepts being
discussed by students and instructor
• Posts are on topic and contribute to the
quality of the seminar
• Student arrives on time and stays the
• Name the country of origin of
Chile con Carne
• Where do they cook with
• Identify this language:
• What is this?
• And where does it come from?
• Chile con Carne is a “spanish-style” dish
that was created in the Southwest United
• Spiders are frying pans with legs used in
the United States.
• “Pon m’onor” is Appalachian English.
• Ciopino is a seafood stew that was
created in San Francisco.
• Adaptation: Designates a modification,
adjustment, or change in the way one
thinks of and approaches a topic.
• Culture: Customs, ways of life,
traditions, and mores of particular social
• Context: The framework, the setting, or
the environment related to a topic. For
example, the cultural context in health
and wellness is the social environment
that influences one’s understanding of
health, healing, illness, etc.
• Global Health: A viewpoint of health that
extends beyond political, geographical,
and cultural boundaries.
• Holistic: To focus on the whole instead
of compartmentalizing or viewing a
theory, topic, or subject (or person) as
composed of separate parts.
• Immersion: Education; A method of
language or experience-based teaching
that involves being completely engaged
in concentrated studies.
• Multi-cultural: relates to the
understanding of health is a term
describing many cultures coexisting in a
specified area without any one culture
dominating health attitudes, concepts,
• Liberal Multi-Culturalism: embracing the
concept that various cultures relate to and
interact with one another without regard to
power hierarchies; acknowledging ethnic
variety and practicing tolerance without regard
for external or internal influences. For
example, if one adopts a global understanding
of health, healing and wellness without regard
for societal differences within each of the
various cultures, one is adopting a liberal view
• Critical Multi-Culturalism: concerned with
‘majorities’ and ‘minorities’ and the existence
of inequity within societies based on power
and hierarchy. For example, recognizing that a
comprehensive understanding of health,
healing and wellness includes societal
differences based on ‘majorities’ and
‘minorities’ ‘power’ and hierarchies. Therefore,
institutions and societal practices may differ
based on more than ethnic variety alone.
• Multi-Disciplinary: studying or using
several specialized subjects or skills.
Virtual Fieldtrip to Panama:
• What do you need to know about the
verbal communication practices of
Panamanians in order not to violate
• As a health and wellness professional
working in Panama, part of your cultural
immersion experience require you to
attend a religious service. Which type of
service would you want to attend? Why?
• What role does religious affiliation play in
the lives of Panamanians and how does
this affect health practices?
Unit 2 Quiz
• 55 minutes
• You may take the quiz only once
• 7 questions
• Matching, True/False, and Multiple Choice
• Covers issues related to cultural and
• I will remain online to answer questions
related to tonight’s seminar.
• Other questions:
• Email Instructor: firstname.lastname@example.org