693 identified Jewish cemeteries have been preserved in Slovakia.
Unfortunately, many of them have been desecrated and vandalized. Tombstones
have often been stolen by unscrupulous people, and the peace of the dead has
been disturbed by vandals who have succumbed to naive stories about treasures
buried in Jewish graves.
Cemeteries are located in all regions of
Slovakia, even in some remote places, thus
serving as stone witnesses of former
Jewish settlement in small mountain
villages. Each cemetery is different: some
contain wealthy tombs of prominent
citizens, while others feature simple
matzevot of rural Jews.
Important and still not researched cemeteries are spread across north-eastern Slovakia,
once dominated by the Hassidism, with many interesting folkloric decorative elements that
slowly disappear with every new rain. An undisclosed number of cemetery chapels has
A remnant of a Jewish cemetery is
located at the Christian cemetery of
Bratislava´s city district - Rača.
The cemetery gradually vanished
since World War II, when this 20 x
35m large area with gravestones
with Hebrew and German
inscriptions, was fenced.
After several episodes of vandalism,
only two gravestones survived to this
day, paled by an iron fence and
decorated with a Star of David.
It is located in the western part of the
Christian cemetery, close to the main
entrance from Žitná Street.
Nitra's ceme tery
In Nitra, both orthodox and reform Jewish cemeteries can be found, situated
in the same site on the hill near. This complex represents one if the best
preserved cemeteries in Slovakia with about 5000 graves.
On this 120x80m large area, monumental tombstones from marble and
granite with inscriptions in Hebrew, German, Hungarian and Slovak can be
Originally, the cemeteries were separated from each other by a
brick wall, which was ruined during World War II, when the
Orthodox cemetery served as a strategic base for German
soldiers fighting against the progressing Soviet army.
Here one can find simple sandstone
gravestones dating back to the 17th century and
impressive marble 20th century tombstones as
well. Some of the older gravestones are
decorated with remarkable motives, e.g. view of
the Western Wall in Jerusalem. The cemetery
chapel stands near the entrance to the orthodox
cemetery. The Holocaust memorial was erected
nearby. A children section is located in north-
western part of the cemetery.
Trnava's ceme tery
East of Trnava, near the protestant and former military cemeteries, the third Jewish cemetery is located.
This 130 x 80m large area was used since 1879 by orthodox and status quo communities and therefore
more then 1000 graves can be found here.
The oldest ones are grouped in the north-eastern part. Richly decorated children graves
stand behind the former cemetery chapel, which is now partially used for residential
Many gravestones are
decorated with pictorial
motives like the blessing
hands of Kohanim, Levi’s
jar, the Shield of David,
candlestick and styled
floral motifs. Inscriptions
are in Hebrew
German or Slovak ones.
Šala's ceme tery
There were two Jewish
cemeteries in the Šala city
district called Veča. The older
one vanished, but the other one
which is situated near the river
Váh remains one of the last
proofs of the lost Jewish
presence in this region. On
cemetery area cca 60 x 45m
large around 250 gravestones
can be found.
The oldest known gravestone dates
back to the year 1897. Gravestones
were made from sandstone,
granite, white, pink or red marble
and decorated with symbols of the
Shield of David, Levi’s jar, palm
tree and inscriptions in Hebrew,
German and Hungarian. The
cemetery doesn’t serve its original
purpose any more, but it remains a
dignified place of the
commemoration, thanks to current
maintenance by the local civil