AFRINIC-17, Khartoum – SUDAN
24 – 29 NOVEMBER 2012
BUSINESS USE OF DOMAIN NAME
• Brand business/ Build the brand value of business
• Identify and visualization for business.
• Increase TRUST between the visitor and business website .
• Build strong customer network
• Make business more popular
• Domain name = business tool
The stakeholders ?
African ICANN Accredited Registrars
African Internet Society Chapters
dotAFRICA (.AFRICA) ?
Business models that makes sense:
1- Way to reach an ever more integrated continent for African companies
looking to be more than just .za, .sd, …
2- For businesses from outside, hoping to reach a specifically African
audience – like a .Asia or .EU
3- Focal point for number of programs aimed at improving capacity
4- And economic development, local content?
5- The consumer
6- The private sector/Telco operator?
A Successful .AFRICA
Registry - Registrar - Registrant
Registrant Registrant Registrant Registrant Registrant Registrant Registrant
dotAFRICA & E-Business
• Online purchasing, reduce supply
chain length, no physical stores
with associated costs
• dotAFRICA (.AFRICA), excellent
choice to market business to a wide
• Level of patriotism and African
private sector promotion
• Consumer assurance
• Quality of services
• African identity to business and
• Start point for research in a purchasing
• Optimized domain name
• Key words: Africa?, …
• Online yellow pages.
• Business online profile.
• Online business marketing
• Online consumer sites: TripAdvisor
Social network ?
• Intrinsic part of modern social lives;
• Connect with consumers
• Brand presence increased through
account, pages, ads, promotions;
• Powerful marketing tool at low cost
• Quick diffusion/awareness improved
• Explosion of daily deals websites
oWeb : www.africainonespace.org
oOpen Community mailing list : firstname.lastname@example.org (subscribe on website)