Grosse-Pointe1 by xiuliliaofz

VIEWS: 1 PAGES: 1

									                              GROSSE POINTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Pointe

Grosse Pointe has been, at various stages, a backcountry colonial outpost, a
vacation destination for 19th century Detroiters, a fertile area for small
orchard owners and farmers, a locale chosen for early 20th century mansions,
and, ultimately, an increasingly diverse area with a historic reputation of
gentility.

The Grosse Pointes were first settled by French farmers in the 1750s after
hostilities between Native American tribes and the French occupiers of Fort
Pontchartrain. Members of the British empire began arriving around the time of
the Revolutionary War. In the 1800s Grosse Pointe continued to be the site of
lakefront ribbon farms (which are long narrow farms that each adjoin the lake,
useful for irrigation and early transportation needs). Beginning in the 1850s,
wealthy residents of Detroit began building second homes in the Grosse Pointe
area, and soon afterwards, hunting, fishing, and golf clubs appeared. Some
permanent mansions were built in the late 1800s, and with the dawn of the
automobile after 1900, Grosse Pointe became a commuter suburb in addition to a
playground for wealthy Detroiters. Most of the southern and western areas of
Grosse Pointe were filled with permanent single family homes by 1930, with
remaining gaps and the northern sections such as Grosse Pointe Woods
developing between the Great Depression and the 1960s.




The Buck-Wardwell House              Grosse Pointe South High School in
on Jefferson Ave., built in          Grosse Pointe Farms
1840 in Grosse Pointe Park

								
To top