Learning and Revision
一、背景介绍 : Learning & Memory
二、口语训练 : Talk about memory
Famous Learning Quotes and Proverbs
1. Learning is like rowing upstream; not to advance is to drop back.
2. He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet.
3. What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing.
4. I am always ready to learn, though I don't always like being taught.
5. Education is simply the soul of society as it passes from one generation to
6. A man, though wise, should never be ashamed of learning more.
7. Make your friends your teachers and mingle the pleasures of conversation
with the advantages of instruction.
8. He who learns but does not think is lost. He who thinks but does not learn is
in great danger.
9. Be very sure that no man will learn any thing at all unless he first will learn
10. He that has sense knows that learning is not knowledge, but rather the art
of using it.
What is memory?
Memory is the mental activity of recalling information
that you have learned or experienced.
How is your memory?
1. What is your first memory?
2. Can you remember your friends’ names in kindergarten?
3. What was the main dish you had for dinner the day before
4. What were the last two movies you saw?
5. Do you often forget to bring your homework to school?
How to improve your memory?
• Convince yourself that you do have a good
• Keep your brain active.
• Reduce stress.
• Eat well and eat right.
• Create vivid, memorable images.
• Repeat things you need to learn.
• Group things you need to remember.
• Organize your life.
• Sleep well.
Talk about memory
Butch recently moved to California and has to take a written
driving test in order to get a California driver's license. Although
he has been driving for years, he still needs to brush up on the
rules in case he has forgotten most of them.
Gerri: I heard you're going to take the written test to get your driver's
Gerri: You've been driving for years. There shouldn't be any problems.
Butch: But I still need to brush up on traffic rules a little bit.
Gerri: You'll be fine. Just use your common sense.
Butch: Yeah, but sometimes I sense things wrong.
Erica is planning the menu for the dinner party next week. All of a sudden, she
remembers that she has forgotten to invite Linda...
Erica: I've sent out the invitations for the dinner party.
Manuel: That's good. Now what should we do?
Erica: We've got to plan the menu.
Manuel: Oh, that's right. Do you have anything in mind?
Erica: I think I'm going to make the chicken salad we had at Pompa last
time. Remember I asked the chef for the recipe?
Manuel: Yeah, but did you forget that Linda doesn't eat chicken?
Erica: Linda? Oh, my Gosh! I forgot to invite her! She'll be mad at me. It just
slipped my mind.
Manuel: Well, it's not too late yet. I'll make a phone call. Don't worry.
Erica: Thanks! I think I'm getting old!
Manuel: Looks like you ARE!
Marshall is complaining to Pam. He tells Pam that he is trying to get a hold of
Jason, but he forgot his home phone number. So he called his office, but his
secretary would not give him Jason's phone number-- because it is against the
company's policy to release someone's personal information on the phone to a
Marshall: Do you know what Jason's home phone number is?
Pam: I can't think of it off the top of my head. You might want to look it up in
the phone book.
Marshall: I've checked it already, but it seems that his phone number is
Pam: Maybe it's under his roommate's name.
Marshall: Well, I guess so.
Pam: Maybe you can call his office and ask his secretary.
Marshall: I've already tried. She won't tell me. She says it's private.
Pam: Oh, that's right. They usually don't release private information over
1. She thought for a moment and then approved.
2. Everybody approves of the plans for a new school building.
3. The minister approved(批准) the building plan.
4. Catherine’s parents now approved of her marriage.
5. The Senate approved a plan for federal funding of local
• By doing well at school he hoped to win his parents’
• The budget proposals met with the Senate’s approval.
• The first interest payments will be due in August.
• The flight from Boston is due at 9:30.
• The meeting isn’t due to start until three.
• Her absence is due to illness.
• The company’s problems are due to mixture of
bad luck and poor arrangement.
1. A range of buildings have sprung up along the river.
2. Several cars are available within this price range.
3. This weapon can kill at a range of 200 yards.
4. The two countries are separated by a range of mountains.
• There were 120 students whose ages ranged from 10 to 18.
• The shoes range in price from $25 to $100.
• His lectures ranged widely over a variety of topics.
1. I expected the cease-fire to last.
2. They won’t be able to last much longer without fresh
3. The hot weather lasted for the whole month of June.
4. I haven’t seen you since the last meeting.
5. Anna was the last person to see him alive.
6. There are the last four birds of their kind still in existence.
7. Sarah looks as if she is on her last legs.(疲倦)
8. When I last saw her, she was working in New York.
9. Last but not least, let me introduce Jane, our new secretary.
1. get _____升职
2. _____ speaking坦率的说
3. lay sb. _____下岗
4. i____ sb. on sth.在…方面指导某人
5. a____ from除了
6. s____ off 关闭
7. ____ a certain extent 在某种程度上
8. set ____ 点燃，爆炸
9. be a____ to doing sth.习惯做某事
10. one ____ three 三个中的一个
1. get promoted升职
2. frankly speaking坦率的说
3. lay sb. off下岗
4. instruct sb. on sth.在…方面指导某人
5. aside/apart from除了
6. switch off 关闭
7. to a certain extent 在某种程度上
8. set off 点燃，爆炸
9. be accustomed to doing sth.习惯做某事
10. one in/out of three 三个中的一个
补充阅读： The Most Unforgettable Teacher
In my life, I have met many people who are really worth mentioning. But
perhaps the most unforgettable person I have ever known is my English
It is his special quality that is always kept in my mind.
For one thing, I was attracted by his wide range of knowledge. I
that we students always attended his class with great enthusiasm because
lectures were humorously delivered, and he never failed to give us valuable
advice. nothing seemed difficult to learn after his explanation.
For another, I was deeply impressed by the respect he showed for us. As
treated us like friends rather than students, we all liked to visit his for social
activities as well as for advice.
Although it is over a year now since I attended his last lesson, he is the
1. The new cut in interest rate ____ promote domestic investment.
A. means to B. directs toward C. is meant to D. leads to
2. We are taught that a business letter should be written in a
formal style _____ in a personal one.
A. rather than B. other than C. better than D. less than
3. _____ is generally accepted, economical growth is determined by
the smooth development of production.
A. What B. That C. It D. As
4. When workers are organized in trade unions, employers find it
hard to lay them _____.
A. off B. aside C. out D. down
5. In the meantime, the question facing business is whether such
research is ____ the costs.
A. worth B. worth of C. worthy D. worthwhile
6. I appreciated ____ the opportunity to study abroad two years
A. having been given B. having given
C. to have been given D. to have given
7.－I’m sorry I’m late. I got held up in the traffic on my way here.
A. Don’t be late next time
B. You should be blamed
C. It doesn’t matter, I’m also late
D. Never mind. Come and sit down
8. I don't ________ your way of looking at things.
A. confirm B. agree C. approve of D. approve
That’s all for today, and
see you next time!