SK Y4 Unit 1 Page 1 and 2
Focus: Listening and speaking
Unit: 1- Our community
Topic: Places in our hometown
Content 1.1 By the end of the 6-year primary schooling, pupils will be able
Standard: to pronounce words and speak confidently with the correct stress, rhythm and intonation.
1.1.4 Able to talk about related topics with guidance
By the end of the lesson, children should be able to:
a) talk about and brainstorm about what they can see and buy at a stationery shop,
hardware store, night market, coffee shop and supermarket.
b) create a mind map based on their discussion and present it.
b) do a roleplay based on a situation at a stationery shop and night market.
Time: 60 minutes
Teaching Mahjong paper for the students to write the mind map, marker
Aids: pens, realia for the role play, flash cards.
1. Teacher and students talk about the pictures on page 1. Students name the places
based on the pictures.
2. Teacher and students brainstorm other places in their hometown. Teacher
introduces the places using these
3. Teacher divides the students into five groups. Each group is given one place to
discuss - stationery shop, hardware store, night market, coffee shop and supermarket.
4. Each group discusses what they can buy at the place assigned to their group.
5. Each group comes up with a mind map based on their discussion.
6. All the groups present their mind map in front of the class.
* For this activity, teacher asks the students to bring realia from home related to the
places (stationery shop, hardware store, night market, coffee shop and supermarket).
7. Teacher invites one group to do a role-play of their assigned place. For example, the
night market group has to pretend like they are opening a stall of their choice and try to
The United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).
sell their products to their customers (another group of students act out as the passer-
by/customers at the night market).
8. If there is extra time left, teacher asks other groups to continue the role play.
9. As an optional activity or review for next class, play a game of Stop the Bus.
Write on the board:
Stationery Hardware Night Market Coffee Shop Supermarket
e.g. stapler screwdriver shirts sugar shopping carts
Choose a letter from the alphabet, e.g. ‘s’.
With the students, teacher thinks of an example of
something from each type of shop beginning
with the letter (see above for examples).
Once the students get the idea ask the to work
in groups.Give them a new letter of the alphabet and get them to think
of examples with the new letter.
The first group that can think of an example in each category says - Stop the bus!
The group reads their answers out and get a point for each correct example.
Page 2 of 2