• The medical term for the surgical repair or
replacement of a damaged joint.
• A single respiration consists of
– One inhalation / one exhalation
• A localized balloon-like enlargement of the
wall of an artery (weak area in the wall of
• Body mechanics involving the design and
operation of tools and the work
• Respiratory pattern consisting of
alternating periods of rapid breathing, slow
breathing, and the absence of breathing.
Often seen right before death.
– Cheyne-Stokes respiration
• Suffix meaning “to suture”
• An abnormal increase in the outward
curvature of the thoracic spine as viewed
from the side.
• Term meaning inflammation of a nerve.
• Term pertaining to lack of (bad) muscle
• Term meaning the absence of
• Term meaning a weakness or wasting
away of muscles caused by disuse over a
period of time.
• A specialist who treats diseases and
disorders of the blood.
• Combining form meaning joint.
• Condition is paralysis of the larynx.
• Condition of inflammation of the bone and
• Combining for meaning white.
• Term meaning heart attack.
– Myocardial infarction
• Term meaning red blood cells.
• Based on word parts, what does the term
– Bleeding from the liver
• What prefix means between or among?
• Medical term describing a condition of a
protrusion of a muscle through its ruptured
sheath. (using word parts)
• Term meaning any pathologic change or
disease in the spinal cord or bone marrow.
• Respiratory condition occurring in the
winter months. A vaccine is available for
this every year.
• Type of muscle slanted outward, away
from the midline of the body.
• Suffix meaning specialist.
• Term describing an abnormal shortening
of muscle tissues, making the muscle
resistant to stretching.
• Congenital defect in which the spinal canal
fails to close around the spinal cord.
– Spina bifida
• Combining form meaning fever.
• Term describing where a muscle starts
• Term meaning pain in the stomach.
• Term meaning muscle tone.
• Substance that transports oxygen in the
• Term describing symptoms that occur
when the median nerve is compressed as
it passes through the narrow area in the
– Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Condition that is the chronic enlargement
of the bronchi.
• A term describing a torn, ragged wound.
• Term meaning the tissue death of an
artery or arteries.
• Blood vessels that are microscopic and
are only one cell in thickness.
• Condition of the heart in which there is
irregular quivering of the heart muscles.
• Medication that controls irregularities of
• Diagnostic test using ultrasound to trace
the flow of blood through the heart.
• Any term meaning voice impairment,
including hoarseness, weakness, or loss
• Condition in which there is an absence, or
almost complete absence, of oxygen from
inhaled gases, arterial blood, or tissues.
• Condition of total paralysis of one side of
• Procedure is the surgical repair of
• Suffix requiring the use of a combining
• Term describes the highest pressure
against the walls of the blood vessels.
– Systolic pressure
• Condition of abnormal hardening of an
• Term meaning the act of closing a wound
or incision by stitching or a similar means.
• Procedure is the surgical repair of the
• In the term pericardiectomy, -ectomy is a
prefix, suffix, or word part
• A marked loss of bone density and an
increase in porosisty is known as ______
• Medical term for hiccups ________
• Fatty deposits within the walls of an artery,
which is characteristic of atherosclerosis is a
• Specialist in disorders of the lungs and
associated tissues is a / an _________
• A band of fibrous tissue that holds structures
together abnormally is known as
• The procedure of suturing the trachea is
known as ________________
• The medical term meaning inflammation of
the bursa is _________________
• The medical term meaning inflammation of
the pharynx is called _________________
• The flexible tip of the nose is made up of
the type of tissue called ______________
• Medical name for white blood cells ______
• Condition of abnormal hardening of muscle
• Abnormally slow rate of respirations of less
than 10 breaths per minute is known as ___
– Hypopnia, bradypnea
• Condition of subnormal oxygen levels in the
cells is known as ____________
• Surgical repair of a muscle _____________
• An accumulation of fluid in lung tissues is
known as pulmonary _____________
• Medical term meaning the surgical repair of
the nose _______________
• Term meaning the surgical puncture to
remove fluid of a joint space
• Hardening and narrowing of the arteries due
to a buildup of cholesterol plaques is known
• The death of bone tissue due to an
insufficient blood supply, infection,
malignancy, or trauma is known as _______
• Abnormally rapid, deep breathing resulting in
decreased levels of CO2 at the cellular level
• Condition in which a blood clot forms within a
blood vessel is known as ______________
• Medical term for the condition commonly
known as a nosebleed ________________
• Abnormal enlargement of the liver ________
• Term meaning higher than normal b/p _____
• Condition of inflammation of the fascia is
• Examination and treatment through an
arthroscope is known as _____________
• Inflammation of several arteries _________
• Condition of pain in a tendon is _________
• Potentially lethal condition in which
breathing recurrently stops during sleep is
known as sleep _________
• Severe episodes of spasmodic choking or
suffocating chest pain are known as _______
• Pain in the pleura or in the side is known as
• The term meaning a pounding or racing heart
• Malignancy characterized by a progressive
increase of abnormal leukocytes is known as
• Surgical incision into the cranium is a / an
• Term meaning abnormal hardening of the walls of
an artery or arteries is
• Abnormally swollen veins in the legs are known as
• Condition of abnormal softening of muscle tissue
• A fast heartbeat of sudden onset is known as
• Dorsal recumbent