This is a lease agreement entered into between a landlord and a tenant on a month-to-
month basis. Either party can terminate the relationship by giving at least one month
notice. However, some states have reduced the one month notice requirement for
termination; make sure to check applicable state laws before entering into this
agreement. This agreement should be used by landlords that want to enter into a
month-to-month lease agreements with tenants.
MONTHLY RENTAL AGREEMENT
This Monthly Rental Agreement (the “Agreement”) is hereby made the ____ day of
__________, 2_____ by and between _______________________ (“Landlord”) and
____________________ (“Tenant”) with respect to Tenant renting from Landlord the real
property located at _____________________________ and described as ______________ (the
LANDLORD AND TENANT HEREBY AGREES AS FOLLOWS
1. Landlord hereby agrees to rent to Tenant, on a monthly basis and for the term of this
Agreement, the Premises and the following appliances contained therein:
2. Landlord and Tenant hereby agree that this Agreement shall take effect on the ____ day
of _________, 2_____ and shall be renewable on a month to month basis on the __________ day
of each and every month.
3. The monthly rent payable by Tenant to Landlord shall be in the amount of ____________
dollars ($________) (the “Rent”) per month, due and payable in full to Landlord on the ____ day
of each and every month, by way of check or direct deposit to Landlord’s bank account.
4. Landlord and Tenant hereby agree that Landlord shall include in the Rent the following
5. Landlord and Tenant hereby agree that upon execution of this Agreement by Landlord
and Tenant, Tenant shall pay to Landlord, a security deposit (the “Deposit”) in the amount of
______________ dollars ($________) by way of check or direct deposit to Landlord’s bank
account. Landlord hereby agrees that the Deposit shall be refunded to Tenant, plus any and all
accrued interest within ______ (___) days of the termination of this Agreement.
6. Tenant hereby acknowledges that, once a year, Landlord may choose to increase the Rent
for the Premises. Landlord hereby agrees that it shall only increase the Rent _____ (__) months
after the date upon which the existing Rent was established.
7. Landlord hereby agrees that it shall provide to Tenant a Notice of Rent Increase
________ (___) months prior to any such increase of Rent.
8. Tenant hereby agrees not to lease, sublease, or assign the Premises to any other party
without the prior written consent of Landlord.
9. Tenant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the Landlord has the right to enter the
Premises at any time or times for inspection of the Premises or in the case of an emergency, upon
_______ (___) hour’s written notification to Tenant of its intention to so do.
10. Tenant hereby agrees that it will keep the Premises clean and in good condition,
reasonable wear and tear excepted, and free from debris.
11. Tenant hereby agrees that it will take any and all necessary steps to repair any damages to
the Premises caused by the actions or neglect of Tenant or any person Tenant permits on or in the
Premises. Should Tenant not comply with any of its obligations in respect of the repair of the
Premises, Landlord is permitted to seek a monetary order through dispute resolution for the costs
12. Landlord hereby agrees that it shall maintain the Premises in a reasonable state of repair,
suitable for the occupation by Tenant and comply with all health and safety standards of the
13. Tenant hereby agrees that, upon termination of this Agreement, it shall return the
Premises to Landlord in the same condition in which they were received by Tenant, save and
except for any damage resulting from events that are out of Tenant’s control.
14. Tenant hereby agrees that it will not change the locks to the Premises without the prior
written consent of Landlord.
15. Landlord and Tenant hereby agree that Tenant may end this Agreement at any time by
Tenant providing to Landlord at least ____ (___) month’s written notice. A notice given the day
before the Rent is due in any given month ends the tenancy at the end of the following month.
Tenant hereby agrees that any such notice to Landlord must be in writing and include the address
of the Premises and the date the tenancy is to end and be signed and dated by Tenant.
16. The Landlord may end the tenancy at any time provided that the ending of the tenancy is
for the reasons and only in the manner set out in the ______________ Act (enter appropriate
17. Landlord and Tenant may end this tenancy at any time in writing.
18. This Agreement may be renewed monthly on the same terms and conditions until Tenant
provides notice to the Landlord ending the tenancy.