Differences among people in age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, capabilities/disabilities and in the thought process.
What do we mean by diversity in the thought process??
Let’s Find out……
Select a card mentally…….
Don’t jus look at it, concentrate on it
And memorize it
Your card isn’t there…………
Is it a magic??? Did I really read your mind????
Well, things are not always as they appear………… We need to look at the actual picture behind the visible one….
Want to see
• These were the original cards…
• None of the cards were dealt on the second hand…..
• Did u consider the real and the bigger picture while selecting the card?? • This happens because most of the times we think of our own objectives and miss out the big picture.
Conclusion: • Don’t just hear what the person, while interacting, wants to say but LISTEN and UNDERSTAND his point of view..
• We need to diversify our horizons… • Diversity is not just in age, gender, race… it ACTUALLY lies in your thinking, your thought process
We limit our perspectives and choices..
• Connect all the dots with 4 straight lines • Do NOT lift your pen off the paper • Do not RETRACE any line.
• Why is it that most of us do not think about going out of the boundaries? • We had to draw the lines outside the boundaries. This is what is required of us when we interact with others as every thinks differently (outside of our boundaries or "box"). • Why is it so hard to others' point of views? • We often so busy thinking about our point of view, that we fail to see others' point of views.
• Can you see the gray spots between the black squares ??????
• This is an example of how we sometimes see things that are not really there. • And that’s how we tend to conclude the wrong first impression of someone by looking at the physical attributes.
These were some examples to show what is diversity in terms of thought.
What Do We Mean By Managing Diversity?
• A management system which incorporates the differences found in a multicultural workforce in a manner which results in the highest level of productivity for both the organization and the individual.
What is EEO?
• Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) means eliminating barriers to ensure that all employees are considered for the employment of their choice and have the chance to perform to their maximum potential. EEO practices include: • fairness at work, • hiring based on merit and • promotion based on talent. It concerns all aspects of employment including recruitment, pay and other rewards, career development and work conditions
DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT PRACTICS AT
Sources of Diversity in the Workplace
Workforce Diversity: Gender
Women in the Work Place • Women’s earnings are less than two-thirds of the earnings of men. • Women hold only 12% of corporate officer positions
Workforce Diversity: Race and Ethnicity
• 1998 to 2008 Growth Rates for the U.S. Working Population
3.5% 3.0% 2.5% 2.0% 1.5% 1.0% .5% .0%
Workforce Diversity: Religion
• India: multi cultural country. • Accommodation for Religious Beliefs • Providing flexible time off for holy days • Posting holy days for different religions on the company calendar
Workforce Diversity: Capabilities and Disabilities
• Disability Issues • Providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities • Promoting a nondiscriminatory workplace environment • Educating the organization about disabilities and AIDS
• Workplace diversity refers to the variety of differences between people in an organization. • That sounds simple, but diversity encompasses race, gender, ethnic group, age, personality, cognitive style, tenure, organizational function, education, background and more
Benefits of Workplace Diversity
• Increased adaptability • Broader service range
• Variety of viewpoints
• More effective execution
Challenges of Diversity in the Workplace
• Resistance to change
Successful Management of Diversity in the Workplace
• Recommended steps that have been proven successful in world-class organizations are: 1. Assessment of diversity in the workplace 1. Development of diversity in the workplace plan.
. • Promote diversity in leadership positions.
• Implementation of diversity in the workplace plan .
Recommended diversity in the workplace solutions include
• Ward off change resistance with inclusion.
• Foster an attitude of openness in your organization .
THE AMERICAN EXPRESS WAY
Managing Diversity in the Workplace
Demonstrate the Following Behaviors
• Learn the professional aspirations of all team members and support their efforts to achieve them. • Create opportunities for highly talented employees to be exposed to leaders who may not otherwise interact with them. • Create cross-functional teams
Demonstrate the Following Behaviors cont..
• Volunteer for community projects that teach tolerance, both directly and indirectly • Delegate fairly
Demonstrate the Following Behaviors cont..
• Communicate and support intolerance of inappropriate and disrespectful behavior • Evaluate performance objectively • Consider individual needs when enforcing company policies and guidelines
Actions that Make a Difference
• Talk privately with each of your employees • Ask your staff about their preferences
• Take your staff to lunch
According to a recent survey conducted by the Families and Work Institute, 52 percent of Americans prefer to work with people like themselves while only 34 percent would rather be with colleagues who are ethnically or culturally different.
Issues That Can Divide Us
Differences in Values and Etiquette
Tone of voice Clustering
Solutions to Culturally-Rooted Conflicts
Ask Questions Seeking Commonalities Do not project your own culture onto others Communicating Respect
Diversity Rules: How to Interact with Colleagues from Different Backgrounds
Don’t make assumptions
Communicate appropriately Search for common ground Be aware of formal versus informal work environments.
• A diverse workforce is a reflection of a changing world and marketplace. Diverse work teams bring high value to organizations. Respecting individual differences will benefit the workplace by creating a competitive edge and increasing work productivity. Diversity management benefits associates by creating a fair and safe environment where everyone has access to opportunities and challenges. Management tools in a diverse workforce should be used to educate everyone about diversity and its issues, including laws and regulations. Most workplaces are made up of diverse cultures, so organizations need to learn how to adapt to be successful practices.