CONTENTS by Levone


Page Introduction University Regulations College Regulations: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. Academic & Pastoral Support Residence Living Out Health & Safety Security Facilities Damage, Charges & Fines Emergencies Environmental Responsibility 1 1 5 5 7 9 10 12 13 14 16 17 19 26 28 29

Information A-Z Who‟s Who in College Telephone Numbers Index

DATES OF TERMS 2009/2010
Michaelmas Term: 7 October – 16 December 2009 (4 October for new undergraduates) 18 January – 19 March 2010 26 April – 25 June 2010

Epiphany Term:

Easter Term:

The following regulations and guidelines have been drawn up to help you during your stay at St Mary‟s and to ensure the smooth running of the College. If you have any questions please ask Mrs Dorothy Lawton, the Student Support Administrator. The JCR Alternative Handbook also gives information you should know. Please spare a minute to read both Handbooks, and we hope you enjoy being a member of St Mary‟s College. If you would like further copies of the St Mary‟s College Regulations and Handbook, they are available from Reception. Or alternatively, it can be found on St Mary‟s College duo (Durham University Online) pages and on the College website at:

General Regulations of the University When you sign the Matriculation Register in St Mary‟s College in the first week of term, you are signing the following declaration: "I hereby promise to conform to the discipline of the University, and to all the statutes, regulations and rules in force for the time being, in so far as they concern me." The General Regulations of the University appear in Volume I of the University Calendar. The University Calendar is a two volume document, in which all University regulations are published, copies are available from the Student Support Administrator, in the College and University libraries or on-line at Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor, Dr Gillian Boughton, or the Student Support Administrator, Mrs Dorothy Lawton, can help you if you have a query about any detail relating to the University Calendar. Keeping of Terms The University Regulations concerning the Keeping of Terms are in Section V of the General Regulations of the University. These Regulations are particularly important. If you are likely to miss a tutorial or other essential academic commitment because you are not well, you or a friend, must inform the Student Support Administrator (internal telephone number 45963), who can ensure that an official note is sent by College to the Department(s) concerned. Students living out should telephone the Student Support Administrator on 0191 334 5963 with information for this note. Self-certification of illness is permissible on a maximum of two occasions each term for no more than a total of 10 days. Self-Certification Forms are kept by the Student Support Administrator, the JCR President, the JCR Welfare Rep and the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor‟s Office in College. The University allows a Self-Certification Form to cover a summative work deadline in certain circumstances but you would ALWAYS be wise to consult the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor or the Student Support Administrator. about this since a doctor‟s reference is a much safer way to resolve this problem. (See also section on Health p.11.) If you are an undergraduate and wish to be absent overnight during the week, or for longer periods, you must obtain permission. For weekends away, students should inform the Student Support Administrator by email ( For absences during the week, you should obtain permission from your Department and also the Principal or Vice-Principal & Senior 1

Tutor through the Student Support Administrator. Paragraph III.1 of the General Regulations of the University reads: "Undergraduate members of the University shall reside within the precincts of their College, Licensed Hall of Residence or Society unless leave to reside elsewhere has been given by the Head of House concerned. During term time, undergraduates who wish to be absent overnight, or for longer periods, must obtain leave of absence from their Head of House, who in cases where such absence involves the missing of any formal academic commitment must be satisfied that the agreement of the Head of the appropriate Department has already been obtained." Note: the term Head of House is sometimes used in University documentation to refer to the College Principal. You should familiarise yourself with the University Regulations on Residence and Keeping of Terms (see Sections III and V of the General Regulations). You should note that residence privileges may be withdrawn in accordance with Regulations on Discipline (see Section IV of the General Regulations). Academic Appeals General Regulations of the University allow a student to appeal against decisions made by Examiners. The Regulations for appealing are laid down in the University Calendar. If you would like to discuss anything regarding an Appeal, you should make an appointment to see Dr Gillian Boughton, Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor, or Mrs Dorothy Lawton, Student Support Administrator, as soon as you are aware of a problem. There are also formal Complaints procedures which you can follow and on which Dr Gillian Boughton, Mrs Dorothy Lawton, or the DSU or JCR Welfare Reps may be able to advise you. Cars All student vehicles brought to Durham are subject to University Residential Licensing of Motor Vehicles regulations. Motor Vehicle registration forms can be obtained from Mrs Karen Fisher, Bursar‟s Secretary/College Administrator, before the beginning of term. Durham is a comparatively small city with limited parking and garaging facilities. The proportion of students to the total population is exceptionally high and the streets, for the most part, are exceptionally narrow. The University has neither the space nor the finance to enable it to make adequate provision for parking or garaging facilities for more than a very small proportion of students and staff. University policy is therefore to strongly discourage unnecessary usage of motor vehicles by students within the city. 1. Every student of the University who lives within the designated area of Durham City and who keeps or causes to be kept for her/his use, any motor vehicle must obtain a University Motor Licence issued on the authority of the Dean of Colleges on the written recommendation of the College Principal or a duly appointed deputy, at St Mary‟s College, the Bursar, Ms Michelle Crawford, has authority for vehicle licensing. 2. To be eligible for the granting of a licence, a student must be: a. A post-graduate student living in College, or b. An undergraduate student living in College accommodation who has exceptional individual special needs such as medical need or a need related to academic work, or c. An undergraduate living in College who will use the vehicle for the agreed purposes of a University Department, or a University or College club or society.


d. A student living out of College provided that no more than two licences will be issued to a single residential address. The issue of a licence will be subject to any other parking restrictions operating in the area in which the car will be parked or garaged. Please note: an undergraduate student in her/his first-year of study will not normally be eligible for the granting of a licence except in circumstances covered in (b) above. 3. Applications for a licence by St Mary‟s College students must indicate what parking or garaging facilities are intended which shall be to the satisfaction of the Bursar. Although the Dean of Colleges retains overall responsibility for licenses, applications are reviewed and decisions are made by the Bursar, Ms Michelle Crawford. 4. An application for a licence must be made no later than seven days after the vehicle being brought into the designated area. Once granted, a licence shall be valid until the end of the current academic year. 5. A licence shall always be displayed prominently on the vehicle for which it is issued. 6. The issue of a licence will be conditional on the person to whom it is issued being able to provide relevant documentation, to include a current insurance policy document, vehicle registration (VIN) document and driver‟s licence. 7. The issue of a licence does not in itself constitute permission to park on any land controlled by the University for which a separate permit will be required. This includes Palace Green. Such permission will only be granted when a specific need is identified. Vehicles entering on to University property shall be subject to any additional regulations (e.g. wheel clamping) as are advertised from time to time. 8. Breaches of regulations may lead to the imposition of fines by the Principal not exceeding levels to determined annually by Council for first and subsequent offences. Note: The maximum fine for a first offence will be £50 and the maximum fine for any subsequent offence will be £100. 9. These regulations do not apply to the short-term hiring of motor vehicles for which prior short-term exemption must be obtained from the Bursar, or the receiving of driving instruction. 10. A student who intends to drive a group transport vehicle, or to tow a trailer as part of an activity organised through or by the University (including its Colleges/Society, Departments and Student Organisations), must comply with the University Code of Practice for Group Transport as set out in the University Calendar and meet the requirement for the Approval of Drivers. 11. For the purposes of the above sections: a. The Dean of Colleges may, on behalf of Council, appoint an appropriate person to administer and control the issuing of licences within these regulations. At St Mary‟s College, this is the Bursar Ms Michelle Crawford. b. The “designated area of Durham City” will be defined from time to time and shall be specified areas within a 5-mile radius of Durham Cathedral, within which the Dean of Colleges, in consultation with the President of DSU, deems it convenient to travel on foot or by public transport. c. Land controlled by the University and University property will be taken here to include land and property owned by the Recognised Colleges of St Chad‟s and St John‟s.


In Summary: availability of car parking spaces in College is restricted. Resident students may obtain forms to apply for a College Parking Permit from Mrs Karen Fisher, Bursar‟s Secretary/College Administrator. Car parking for permit holders is restricted to authorised areas only and a College permit does not entitle you to use the University car parks. Failure to observe the College parking regulations will result in the imposition of a fine. Debts University Regulations state that you may not carry debts forward from one term to the next within an academic year without the written agreement of the Principal. If you are not given this permission to carry debts forward you may not be allowed to continue living in College accommodation. You will not be allowed to return to the University at the start of an academic year if you are in debt to the College or the University. Students who have debts may sit May/June examinations but no result will be announced either by the Department or by the University, until all debts have been paid in full. It follows that no such student will be allowed to attend their degree Congregation. If you have any queries about debts, please see Mrs Debbie Holmes, the College Finance Officer. Drugs and Alcohol The University Code of Practice on Drugs and Alcohol can be found in full in Volume I of the University Calendar. The following is a simple summary of College practice. Drugs: Although many of the effects can be the same, the legal position on drugs is different from that on alcohol. The use or possession of any controlled substance on College or University premises is an offence and will lead to disciplinary action. The University‟s code of practice specifically defines the following as major disciplinary offences punishable by expulsion:     The possession of prohibited substances with an intention to supply others on University premises The theft/attempted theft of dangerous drugs from University stocks or elsewhere The manufacture or attempted manufacture of dangerous drugs or prohibited substances using University equipment or premises The receipt or intended receipt of prohibited substances through the post

Alcohol: The College bar is an important part of social life. It is a place to meet and drink in a civilised atmosphere. The Bars Committee will enforce the College policy of being actively opposed to alcohol abuse and its consequences. Excess alcohol may be a reason for anti-social behaviour but it is never acceptable as an excuse. Only the Bars Committee is licensed to sell alcohol within the bounds of the College and its grounds. Alcohol and drug abuse can have serious physical and psychological effects, including cirrhosis of the liver and psychiatric disorders, including depression. Many effects are cumulative and may develop undetected over many years. The more immediate effects on behaviour and academic performance are also extensive. When we are aware that someone is abusing alcohol or drugs, College is always willing to help. Our prime concern is not to punish but to deal with the problem and we can arrange personal counselling and medical advice. Only if a student is unwilling to tackle the problem or if poor performance or misconduct continues will more formal action be taken. Students who feel that they have a problem with alcohol or drugs can talk initially, in total confidence, to the following:   JCR President: James Liddell: (internal tel: 45940) Chaplain:Reverend Jenny Moberly: 4

  

JCR Welfare Reps: James Giles and Emily Hughes: Student Support Officer: Mrs Dorothy Lawton: Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor: Dr Gillian Boughton:

However, where the College is aware that a criminal offence has taken place it is obliged to inform the police.

1. ACADEMIC & PASTORAL SUPPPORT Tutors Every student member of College is assigned a College Tutor who is concerned with your academic and social well being. She/he is there to offer advice and support on a variety of issues. Your tutor will contact you in the first week and regularly throughout your time at Durham. Tutors can eventually act as referees for jobs and further courses as they pay particular attention to your academic progress and extra-curricular activities. As well as your College Tutor, our non-resident Chaplain, Revd Jenny Moberly is also available to offer pastoral support. Tutors visit College to hold a tutors‟ surgery as an extra opportunity to see their tutees or other students needing help. These surgeries take place on Wednesday and Thursday evenings 6-7 pm. The tutor on duty will be willing to talk about any problems or just have a chat. You can see any tutor, not necessarily just your own. If a tutor leaves, her/his group is reassigned with as little disruption to you as possible. If you have any problems with the tutorial system, please see the Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor, Dr Gillian Boughton, or the Student Support Administrator, Mrs Dorothy Lawton. Communication The College needs to be able to keep in touch with students, who are therefore required to check their University email account daily. The College also needs to know the whereabouts of its members during their period of residence in the University:    You must give the College your living-out address (unless you are resident in College property) within 14 days of registration. If you change your address, you must tell the College within 14 days of moving. You are requested to inform the College of any fixed or mobile phone number on which you can be contacted, by sending an email to Dorothy Lawton, Student Support Administrator (email:

Every student member of the College must reply to a personal communication from a College Officer, her/his College Tutor, or other member of College staff when requested to do so. Sending an email is acceptable unless you are asked to appear in person. Discipline The sections in the University Regulations which refer particularly to the College are paragraphs under Section IV. It should be noted that if behaviour which constantly persists against the College Regulations, or in any other way becomes a serious nuisance, may, for the sake of other residents, bring about the exclusion from residence in College. 5

Where action is contemplated against a junior member for breach of College Regulations, the junior member (with, if she/he wishes, one or two members of her/his Common Room) shall be given a proper hearing by the Principal (or his delegate, who must be a College Officer). In appropriate circumstances, the President of the appropriate Common Room shall be invited to attend the hearing. A student who wishes to appeal against any decision regarding a breach of College Regulations may write formally to the Principal, within 7 days of receiving the judgement. The Principal shall consider all appeals on their merits and shall consult as appropriate. The Principal (or his delegate), who must be a College Officer will judge the appeal within 14 days of receiving it. An appeal can result in an increase or decrease of the original penalty or the original decision may be upheld or cancelled. If the Principal has been involved with the case, another College Officer or the Principal of another College will be asked to hear the appeal. Harassment (Personal and Sexual) The University has an extensive code on harassment, which is in the University Calendar, (See the University‟s Code of Practice on Respect at Work and Study.) The advice is to try to confront the offending person by telling them that their behaviour is unacceptable. If this does not stop the problem then you are advised to keep a note of incidents and then report it to any of the following : Principal, Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor, Student Support Administrator, JCR President, DSU Education & Welfare Officer, Chair of the Board of Studies or medical staff at the University Health Centre. The Harassment Officer at St Mary‟s College is Dr Gillian Boughton (internal telephone: 45919 email: ). St Mary‟s College JCR have nominated two JCR Welfare Reps: James Giles and Emily Hughes,who you can also approach ( There is also a University Harassment Officer. If problems do occur do not feel afraid to talk to any of these people. They are all sympathetic and are likely to have dealt with similar situations before. Procedures are in place so that any complaint can be dealt with through the University disciplinary procedures. Harassment is taken to be a potentially serious problem. Never feel that anything is too insignificant to discuss. Noise Students are asked to show consideration for others and keep noise at a reasonable level, particularly between 11 pm and 8 am. Any complaints about noise should be made initially to the person making the noise and if this is not effective, to the JCR VicePresident. You can also complain in writing to the Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor, Dr Gillian Boughton ( To enable us to follow up a noise complaint we need details of the time and place of the noise as witnessed by more than one person. A “Yellow Card” and “Red Card” system is in operation. The card will be put under the door of someone believed to have infringed noise regulations and followed up the same day by email. If you receive a Yellow Card you should make an appointment within the following 7 days to see Dr Gillian Boughton, Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor. A Red Card involves the automatic issuing of a £50 fine.


2. RESIDENCE (a) Accommodation All first year students are required to live in College. The opportunity also exists to live in during your second and third years and you are encouraged to do so to contribute to the vibrant atmosphere of College. Study bedrooms are located in the Fergusson and Williamson Buildings. There are mixed corridors for women and men, and corridors for women only and men only. Most study bedrooms are standard rooms with a wash basin. There are a small number of ensuite rooms in the Williamson Building which are typically allocated to finalists, and to students with special requirements at the discretion of the Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor. First year students can expect to share a room for one or more terms, or the whole year if they choose. A change of rooms is organised at the end of each term via a room ballot. Bathroom/toilet facilities are located on each corridor. The Shepherd Wing (Fergusson Building) provides accommodation and bathrooms for women only, both undergraduates and postgraduates, in ensuite and standard rooms (single and twin). Residence in the Shepherd Wing is normally available on the basis of a minimum 38 week extended let covering Christmas and Easter vacations. You will be allocated a study bedroom before your arrival. Although the College will try to avoid unnecessary disturbance, it reserves the right to require a student to move to another room, in the interests of good management. When you leave the College for vacations it will be necessary to clear your room, unless you have an extended let. If you do stay on in the vacation, you may have to change rooms, or move to another College if your room is required for incoming conference guests. There is an option of taking out an extended let which operates in some areas of College (see (c) Extended Lets below). (b) Licence Agreement You are requested to sign and return one copy of the Licence Agreement or the short form Agreement, included in your Freshers‟ Information pack, as soon as possible. Room keys will not be provided without receipt of a signed Agreement. The full Agreement documentation can be accessed from the College website at: If you have access problems please contact Mrs Karen Fisher (0191 334 5955) who can provide a hard copy. If you have any queries, these should be addressed to the Bursar, Ms Michelle Crawford ( in advance of arrival. (c) Extended Lets The standard undergraduate Licence Agreement covers residence in term-time only for all three terms of the academic year. Extended lets are available at an additional charge to include the Christmas vacation. This contracted residence allows occupancy of the room while the College is open and storage of possessions during the period of closure (approx. 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year). Occasionally, a student‟s own room may not be available during this period because of commercial bookings or maintenance work. In these circumstances an alternative room in College will be offered for the vacation. The College also offers 38 week extended lets to include the Easter vacation as well, available at a discounted price if booked before the end of the Michaelmas Term. Full Licence Agreement documentation is available on the College website: 7

(d) Withdrawal from College Accommodation The following policy will normally apply to any student who withdraws from College accommodation during the academic year and before the end date of their Licence Agreement, regardless of whether the student is withdrawing from the University or not. A student who withdraws for other than medical reasons will normally be required to accept liability for an entire Period of Occupation which is defined according to the length of the Agreement i.e. Standard Length Term Time Plus Term Time Plus Term Time Plus    29 Weeks: 33 Weeks: 38 Weeks: 50 Weeks: 9/29ths 9/33rds 13/38ths 13/50ths

Alternatively, they have the option to find a replacement St Mary‟s student who: is pursuing a course of study at Durham University; meets with the prior approval of the College; is prepared to sign a Licence Agreement for the remainder of the academic year.

The Principal has discretion to vary these conditions under exceptional circumstances. (e) Storage in Vacation The standard licence agreement covers room occupancy during term time only and your allocated room may be needed for conference visitors during the vacation. You will therefore need to clear your room at the end of each term. However, many of our rooms contain lockable storage areas in which you may leave belongings, at your own risk, during the Christmas and Easter vacations. For those rooms that do not have lockable storage cupboards, other equivalent limited storage space can be provided in the Box Room should this be required subject to approval from Gillian Boughton, Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor and a disclaimer form signed. Any items left are at your own risk and you should inform you insurer accordingly. Belongings must be packed in boxes or cases and be clearly labelled with the student‟s name and the date when stored. No storage is provided for student belongings during the summer vacation. It is recognised that this may cause difficulty for international students. They should make representation to the Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor who will consider specific cases and issue a disclaimer form for completion. (f) Vacation Residence Details of the application procedure for students who wish to stay in College during vacations will be published towards the end of each term. You can book rooms through Mrs Gillian Green, the Housekeeper, however, payment is required in advance. Students must be prepared to move to another room in College if required to do so by the Housekeeper. Students who would like to stay in College at the end of term or return early, without making a booking in advance with the Housekeeper, will be liable to pay at the commercial rate. College Regulations continue to apply during vacation residence. (g) Meal Cards All students residing in College will be issued with a meal card at the beginning of the Michaelmas Term. Meal cards must be taken to all meals and produced when requested. Failure to produce a meal card will result in refusal of a meal. Replacement meal cards are only issued with proof of ID and at a cost of £5 and are non-transferable. 8

(h) Prohibited Areas Access is forbidden to students to the roof areas, kitchens and boiler/plant rooms. Access is also forbidden to areas of the College which are normally locked at night such as the Dining Hall or areas signed as no access. Undergraduates and Postgraduates may enter the Senior Common Room (SCR) only as the guests of an SCR member.

3. LIVING OUT Many St Mary‟s students „live out‟ in their second year, in privately rented accommodation in Durham and are strongly encouraged to „live in‟ College during their third or final year. The JCR Livers Out Rep organises a meeting during the Michaelmas Term to discuss accommodation and living out, and a special handbook and newsletters for you when you live out. Livers Out may opt in for lunches each week at a special rate. The University Code of Conduct for Students Living Out of College is published annually in the University Calendar, a copy of which is available from Mrs Dorothy Lawton, Student Support Administrator, or online at (a) Maintaining Contact with your College Students who „live out‟ remain members of their College and are encouraged to enjoy the privileges and responsibilities of membership as much as those who ‟live in‟. In addition to being a focus of social and recreational life, to which it is hoped you will frequently return, not least to collect mail directed there, your College remains an important point of contact with the University on official academic matters and people must be able to get a message to you in an emergency. It is therefore essential that your College be kept informed of your correct term-time address and telephone number(s). To facilitate the use of College facilities and encourage livers out to remain engaged with College life, livers out are welcome to return for Lunch and Dinner. The cost of regular meals for livers out has, for 2009/2010, been reduced to £2 per meal. Livers out are also encouraged to return for formal meals and social events which will be individually priced. (b) Being Good Neighbours If you live out, some neighbours may not be associated with the University or understanding of the pressures and exuberance of student life. The University and all your fellow students will, therefore, be judged by your behaviour. Alternatively, they may have sons or daughters at University elsewhere. Consider the position if your parents were living next door to a student house. It is therefore extremely important that you establish and maintain good relations with your neighbours. The goodwill of all local residents is essential for „Town and Gown‟ relations and you will derive greater pleasure from living out if you get on well with your neighbours (c) Noise Excessive noise at any time, but particularly at night, is very un-neighbourly and can cause great distress. It is especially disturbing to those whose working day starts and finishes earlier than yours or who need an undisturbed night. Do please respect the needs of others, particularly in terraced houses with thin walls, and keep radios, TVs and audio equipment at a low volume. If you have a party at your home remember to inform your neighbours and to promise them that it will finish at a reasonable and specified time. This is particularly important during the GCSE and A-Level public examination periods which follow immediately after undergraduate examinations in the summer. Fireworks 9

should not be let off late in the evening and certainly not during the early hours of the morning. The College retains disciplinary responsibility over students living out and will not tolerate antisocial behaviour. (d) Car Parking A major source of complaint by local residents is the inconsiderate use and parking of cars or other vehicles. The General Regulations of the University require that all students bringing vehicles to Durham City must make satisfactory arrangements for the parking and garaging of such vehicles and must obtain a vehicle licence (see page 2 above). Residents find it inconvenient and annoying if they are unable to park in front of their own home because another car is parked there on a long-term basis. You may also live within a City Parking Scheme area where an additional; parking permit is to be obtained through the City Council Authority (NCP) tel: 0191 384 6633. (e) Rubbish All residents need to dispose of rubbish and the City Council provides a good rubbish collection service. Make sure you know the collection day for the “wheelie bin”, put it out and take it in again. Do not place rubbish items in bins belonging to neighbours as this is intrusive and could cause inconvenience. If you have large amounts of rubbish at the end of the year you should contact the City Council Helpline 0191 301 8669 for special help. (f) University-City Liaison and the Code of Conduct Residents who have cause to complain of student behaviour or students needing help with their neighbours may contact the City Liaison Officer in the University Office (tel: 0191 334 6129) who will, if necessary, advise the College Principal. In the evenings and overnight there is a Hotline number (0191 334 2222) for residents to contact the Community Liaison Patrol. If disciplinary action via remonstration and fines proves ineffective (and it is hoped that there will be no such case), the College or the University authorities are empowered to deal with the matter as possibly constituting a major offence, for which the penalty can be rustication or expulsion. You should be aware that any citizen who is repeatedly disturbed by excessive noise or disruptive behaviour has recourse to the Environmental Health Officer or to the Police. 4. HEALTH & SAFETY Medical Registration Every student must register with a Doctor in Durham and has the right to register with any one of the local General Practitioners (GP). A list of GPs who accept students is available in the College Reception. The University Health Centre at Green Lane is familiar with student health problems (telephone: 0191 334 5081 or internal telephone 45081). Students should bring their N.H.S. Medical Card with them when they come to Durham; Medical Registration will take place in College on Monday 5 October 2009 Emergencies: If you are too ill to attend the surgery during the day, you should ask the Student Support Administrator or the College Duty Officer or Porter on Tel: 0191 334 5719 to contact the appropriate surgery, preferably before 10 am. You could also contact NHS Direct (Tel: 0845 4647). If you are resident in College and have serious injuries or fractures, you should be taken directly to the Accident and Emergency Department at the University Hospital of North Durham (Tel: 0191 333 2333). 10

Health Whenever a doctor or ambulance is called by or for a student, the Evening Porter, or Receptionist, or the Student Support Administrator must be informed. Any contact with a „notifiable‟ or infectious disease must be notified to the College immediately by telephone to the Student Support Administrator 0191 334 5963 or the Porter on 0191 334 5719. If you are ill you must contact the Student Support Administrator immediately who will complete a “Notification of Illness” form. You are required to sign this form before it is sent to your Department. This is a form of medical self-certification which can only be used for short-term ailments which are likely to incapacitate you for periods of a few days. Self-certification of illness is permissible on a maximum of two occasions each term for no more than a total of 10 days. You are strongly advised to speak to Gillian Boughton, Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor or Dorothy Lawton, Student Support Administrator if your Self-Certification covers a summative assessment date. You are also advised to visit a doctor for a medical certificate in these circumstances. All Self-Certification forms need to be signed by Dr Gillian Boughton or Mrs Dorothy Lawton. Forms are kept by the Student Support Administrator (See also section on Keeping of Terms p.3.). If the illness prevents you from meeting normal academic commitments for longer than 10 days in the term or on more than two occasions, a medical certificate/report must be obtained from your GP. You must get a medical release form from the Student Support Administrator, to enable College to obtain this information. The “Notification of Illness” form can be used no more than twice a term. If you suffer any further short-term illness during the same term, then a GP‟s certificate is required and should be given to the Student Support Administrator. When you yourself visit a GP, it is possible for you to request a confidential cover note to be sent to St Mary‟s College, direct to Dr Gillian Boughton, Vice-Principal and Senior Tutor, who is responsible for making sure that all your departments receive a copy. You have a right to see this medical report, if you wish, before it is sent by the GP to College. If you do wish to see the report before it is sent, you must do so within a timescale which will not prevent the report from reaching the Board of Examiners (or other recipient) by the required date. Medical evidence must reach those concerned before their final meeting and it will not be an acceptable excuse to say that the report was delayed because the student had not read the report in time. Dentists A list of local Dentists is available in Reception. Candles Under University Health and Safety regulations candles and scented oil or wax burners are NOT allowed in College even if they are decorative and unlit. A fine of £50 will be levied for breaches of this rule. Firearms & Dangerous Weapons No firearms, other dangerous weapons or explosive materials may be kept in College. The possession of unlicensed firearms is a criminal offence and will be reported to the Police. Any student who wishes to bring a weapon to Durham for sporting purposes should contact Durham University Athletics Union (DUAU) for information on the storage facilities available within the University. 11

Fire Regulations A copy of the fire regulations is available in every study bedroom, please read this. There will be a fire drill in each term to help familiarise you with procedures. Every study bedroom and all pantries as well as other public areas contain smoke sensors. These sensors can be activated by candles, incense or cigarette smoke, as well as hair dryers, hairspray, or aerosols used in their vicinity as well as by burning toast. On activation of an alarm whether accidental, as a practice, or in the event of a real fire, you and your fellow students will have to vacate the building. Interference with sensors or any fire safety equipment is a serious offence and can endanger life of fellow students and staff as well as your own. Any such actions are dealt with severely by a fine. Gym Access to the Gym is governed by strict guidelines and requires a St Mary‟s College Gym card. To obtain a Gym card, an “exercise readiness” questionnaire must be completed and approved before receiving induction to use the Gym; a University Sports Card is also required. All students have to sign in at Reception when they use the Gym. Students must never exercise alone. Spot checks will take place to make sure that the rules given during induction are kept. Removal of access to the Gym in individual cases will follow contravention of these regulations.

5. SECURITY Keys You will be given either a combined room key and front door key or separate keys. When you collect and sign for your key(s) on arrival you are agreeing to be responsible for these keys and not let anyone else use them (see also section on Security). You must return your front door and room key at the end of each term to Reception and sign the key book. If you do not sign the key book both on arrival and departure you will be fined. Lost keys must be reported immediately. If a key is lost during term or not returned at the end of term, a charge of £30 per key will be made for its replacement. If you lock yourself out of your room you may obtain and sign for a spare key from Reception. This key must be returned by 4 pm on the same day or a fine of £30 per key will be issued. Keys for Pantries: You will have access to a designated pantry. Your pantry key will be issued along with your room key. Key Access: Your front door keys do not provide access to all buildings and doors. General Please use your common sense and be aware of the need for good security in College. Remember to lock your door when going out (even if it is only for a few moments, if you are going to the pantry or to see a friend who lives next door) and lock the windows, especially on the ground floor. Do not leave the lights on and curtains drawn back after dark. Make sure external doors to the College close properly behind you, including the front door to the Fergusson Building after 11 pm. The front door of the Fergusson Building is locked at 11 pm, but as each resident St Mary's student has a key, you can come and go as you please.


Please remember that you are responsible for your guests and their behaviour at all times and that your key(s) should never be lent to anyone else. If there is a disturbance in College or you see anything suspicious which you feel needs attention, please inform the Duty Porter (24 Hour Cover) 0191 334 5719 (Internal 45719). If he is not in Reception there will be a slight delay as your call is relayed to his mobile. Another useful Number to know, but ONLY if there is no time to contact the Duty Porter is University Security 0191 334 2222 (Internal 42222) which is manned 24 hours. 6. FACILITIES Bar The College Council holds a licence on the College‟s behalf authorising the sale of intoxicating liquors during permitted hours to members of the University and their bona fide guests, and to persons attending conferences and functions at the College. Alcoholic drink bought in the Bar may not be taken off the premises. The Bar Steward and the JCR Bars Chair are responsible for the operation and running of the College Bar in term time and vacations. The Bursar, Ms Michelle Crawford, is the licence holder and together with the Principal has overall legal responsibility for the bar. Hours of opening are agreed with the Bursar. Excessive drinking and misbehaviour are not permitted in the College Bar or elsewhere in the College (see Policy on Drugs and Alcohol, page 4). The Bar Steward orBars Chair has the right to exclude individuals from the Bar, reporting their actions to the Principal and Bursar. The Bursar, as Designated Premises Supervisor and representative of the College Council as Licensee, or the Principal, may close the Bar at any time. Students from other colleges will be asked to surrender their Campus cards on entering the Bar: these will be returned on leaving. Any student behaving in a manner that is unacceptable to the Bar Management the JCR President or a College Officer will be required to leave and their Campus card retained. Any cases of criminal damage to, or theft from, St Mary‟s College will be referred to the Police and pursued with the relevant Head of House by the Principal. In common with the rest of the College buildings, smoking is not permitted in the Bar. Crockery and Cutlery Crockery and cutlery should not be removed from the Dining Hall. The only exception is in cases where a friend is taking food to somebody who is ill. Electrical Appliances Refrigerators and other kitchen equipment is provided in pantries. Kettles, sandwich makers, toasters, fridges and other equipment are not permitted in study bedrooms. Personal electric heaters are also prohibited. Equipment brought into College must be checked for electrical safety by the College Caretaker. Box socket adapters are not allowed but multi-socket extension leads are permitted if correctly fused. It is advised that extension sockets are fitted with voltage protectors to protect electrical equipment (especially computers) from power surges.


Furniture Each resident student is responsible for the furniture in their room. If any item of furniture is missing or damaged at the beginning of a new term then students should report this on the Room Condition form provided at the start of each term. The occupant is then responsible for the room and its contents as recorded. Furniture should not be moved from one room to another. Games Outdoor games should not be played in the vicinity of the College, and specifically not on the SCR Lawn; however residents are welcome to use the lawn for quiet relaxation and revision. It is usually possible to play games on St Mary‟s field on South Road when it has not been booked for formal Sport Durham fixtures. All outdoor games such as football, cricket, other ball games or sports are strictly prohibited anywhere inside the buildings, including corridors, at all times. Pets Pets are NOT allowed in College. Posters & Decorations No posters or notices may be attached to walls in study bedrooms and corridors in the Shepherd Wing and in the Williamson Building. Notice boards are provided in the rooms for posters, notices and decorations. In the Fergusson study bedrooms, white-tak or a similar substance can be used for putting up posters and decorations. You must not use sellotape, drawing pins, nails, etc. in any of the study bedrooms or other areas of college to fix notices or decorate. Damage to walls or furniture will be charged. Smoking Smoking is forbidden inside all St Mary‟s College buildings. This includes all entrances at the front and rear of the buildings and any steps leading to entrances. A smoking area is provided for the Fergusson Building in the Cloisters (through the outside door at the end of the main corridor, next to the East JCR) and the lock on the door can be opened with a Front Door key. These areas are clearly signposted from inside both buildings. Smoking in non-designated areas will attract a fine of £50. In the interests of health and safety the same fine will apply for cigarette ends left in any non-smoking areas.

7. DAMAGE, CHARGES & FINES   Breakages or damage of College property must be reported as soon as possible to the Housekeeper. All rooms will be checked for damage at the beginning and end of each term. You will receive a Room Condition form to be completed at the beginning of each term, indicating the condition of the room and its contents on arrival. Wherever possible the College and JCR will endeavour to investigate wilful or negligent damage or theft in an attempt to absolve the general community and to



punish the individual(s) involved. Wherever possible, any fines, damage or loss will be charged to individual students or groups of students.  Fines are identified on the list below. A list of Charges for repair is held in the Domestic Services Manager‟s office. Where there is no standard charge, the actual cost of the repair plus an administration charge of 10% should be levied. All fines go to the St Mary‟s College Art Fund. The amount collected from damage charges is held in a Reparations Fund, managed by the JCR and the College Officers. Any under funding will be charged to the JCR, and any over-funding paid to the JCR, each year. All first year students will pay to the College, the sum of £15 as a contribution towards non-attributable damage or loss. This will be collected at the beginning of each term during residence in equal amounts of £5. It is calculated to cover both the period of living in and living out of College. This rate of charge (£15) is also applicable to any student resident in College for the first time. If, following the review in Terms One and Two, the College and the JCR agree that there will be insufficient funds to meet the demands placed upon them, then the final term‟s payment can be increased. The JCR is under an obligation to use any funding balance generated from this charge to benefit the student body by improving JCR facilities within the College. The Principal, the Vice-Principal have local discretion to apply fines in a fair and equitable manner.




 

Attributable Damage or Loss    Accidental damage will be charged at the relevant standard charge and/or cost of the repairs. Wilful attributable damage will incur a fine of £100 in addition to the relevant standard charge and/or cost of the repairs. The fine will be removed where those involved admit to the damage caused within 24 hours of the incident, by notifying either the JCR President or a College Senior Officer. The relevant standard charge and/or the cost of the repair is to be met by the individual(s). If the damage is reported within 24 hours, and it is a first offence for the individual(s) concerned or there are mitigating circumstances, the JCR President has the discretion to assist with the payment of damages from the damages fund. The individual(s) may also be excluded from JCR activities (including access to the bar) and, in serious cases, dealt with under the University‟s disciplinary procedure.



Un-Attributable Damage or Loss  The total cost of un-attributable damage or loss, as agreed between the College Officers and the JCR, is to be met out of the Reparations Fund.


The current agreed rates for fines are 1 2 3 4 5 6 SCHEDULE OF STANDARD CHARGES AND FINES Behaviour bringing the College into disrepute Disregarding noise “curfew” as defined in Residence Licence Agreement and other unacceptable noise at any other times Smoking in non-designated areas Activating fire alarm by smoking, lighting candles, joss-sticks etc Activating fire alarm by inadequate supervision of toaster, microwave etc Activating fire alarm by careless use of hairdryer, steam etc First offence Second offence after a warning re previous careless use Activating fire alarm by careless impact with a call point First offence Second offence after a warning re previous careless use Leaving fire door propped open when unattended or disconnecting door closer Tampering with or removal of Fire Extinguishers or other fire safety equipment Possession/use of candles in bedroom or other part of College Failure to leave the building when fire alarms go off Failure to report responsibility for damage or loss to the JCR President or a College Officer within 24 hours of occurrence Removal and Cleaning of bodily fluids Failure to keep room in an acceptable state of repair or condition, after a warning, during Residence Periods Failure to remove belongings (or pack them away completely out of sight), between concurrent Residence Periods Failure to remove posters and white-tak at end of, or between, Residence Periods Failure to obtain/display a University licence/permit for a motor vehicle or to comply with parking regulations First offence Each subsequent offence Failure to return room key on departure at end of each period of occupation Replacement of lost room key (chargeable if key is not found and returned within 48 hours) Lending key to another person Removal of or tampering with window blocks Detail Fine Fine Fine Fine Fine Fine Nil £50 Fine £50 £100 £50 £100 £50 £50 £100 £35 £50 £50 £20 Amount £100 £50 £50 £100 £100


8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Fine Fine Fine Fine Fine Charge Fine Fine Fine Fine

18 19 20 21

Fine Charge Fine Fine

£50 £100 £30 £30 £50 £50

8. EMERGENCIES The College has a 24/7 system for dealing with emergencies in operation throughout each term. During office hours there is always a College Officer on the premises or within easy reach of the College. Out of office hours in term time the Duty Porter is supported by a resident Duty Officer (A member of academic staff or postgraduate student), who in turn is supported by a Senior College Officer (The Principal, the Vice Principal and Senior Tutor or the Bursar). 16

Please report emergencies in the first instance to the Duty Porter on 0191 334 5719 (internal phone 45719). Another useful Number to know, but ONLY if there is no time to contact the Duty Porter is University Security 0191 334 2222 (Internal 42222) which is manned 24 hours First Aid First Aid boxes are located in the following places: Fergusson Building: Reception College Kitchen JCR President Flat (West Wing – Flat A ) Williamson Building: Pantries on First Floor of All Ensuite Blocks Junior Common Room Incidents These include injuries, intruders, accidents or damage to persons or College property. All incidents must be reported and details entered into the “Incident Book” in Reception.

9. ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY General Statement Excessive energy consumption is a significant element of global climate change. At St Mary‟s College we have taken up the challenge to reduce energy usage as a commitment towards environmental sustainability. Every member of the College is asked to contribute to this culture, only by all working together can we make a real difference. Maintenance and Energy Conservation All students are urged to consider energy use not only for environmental reasons, but because energy costs are a significant portion of the residence charge and are reflected in the size of your termly bill. The following simple steps will reduce energy consumption:     Turn off computers and screens when not in use; Turn off lights and other appliances when last to leave a room; Close windows during cold weather; Do not block radiators. Adjust the radiator valve for a comfortable temperature.

All building maintenance problems should be reported to Reception immediately and entered in the Maintenance Book. Rooms in College that are too warm or unusually cold should be brought to the attention of the Bursar ( so that the necessary alterations can be made by Estates and Buildings Department. Personal space heaters are prohibited without the permission of the Bursar. They are a fire hazard and expensive to operate. When leaving your college room any power-consuming equipment should be switched off and during vacation it should be disconnected from power supplies. The temperatures in college buildings may be lowered during the vacation to reduce energy consumption. Recycling Durham University has a strong commitment to recycling. Study bedroom bins are emptied by the cleaners, but we ask students to assist in recycling by taking recyclables to the designated recycling area. Recycling not only reduces our impact on the environment but reduces the costs paid for landfill collection and thus saves the College 17

money. By making such savings, we can limit increases in the residence charge. Find out where your nearest College recycling area is located – and please use it regularly! Materials should be sorted into, paper and cardboard, plastic, glass, metal and batteries. Paper includes newspapers, magazines, phone books, white and coloured printer paper, and junk mail. Do not include food wrappers, tissues, cups, pizza boxes or rubbish. Cardboard should be flattened for better storage and ease of removal. Facilities for recycling glass bottles as well as aluminium and steel cans are also available. Containers should be emptied and ideally rinsed before they are deposited in the receptacles with caps and lids removed. Batteries, including those for laptops, phones, pagers, and other items should also be recycled when no longer serviceable. Direct benefits of recycling in College include:     Contributing to a cleaner and healthier world. Raising Durham‟s standing in national recycling competitions; Forming sound habits for the future; Contributing to financial savings

We also encourage you to fill up one rubbish bin first before starting another since the College is charged for refuse disposal by the bin and not by weight. Resource Conservation Undergraduates play a key role in University efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and move towards an environmentally-sustainable campus. Student engagement and leadership in the reduction of energy use, solid waste reduction and recycling has and will continue to help further Durham‟s environmental stewardship goals. Students are urged to integrate resource efficiency and environmental responsibility into their daily life. In addition to recycling, please help reduce waste by printing only when needed, reusing paper and other items when possible, report water leaks, turn off lights and appliances when not in use, reduce heat waste in the winter, purchase energy efficient appliances, take only as much food as you can eat in the dining hall, and use warm or cold water rather than hot for most laundry loads. Contact Information for environmental issues Durham environmental website: JCR Environment Rep: (to be appointed) Domestic Services Manager – Colleges Sustainable Living Programme: Antje Danielson DSU Environmental Officer: Anthony Crowther Estates and Buildings, Recycling: George Dent Estates and Buildings, Energy Manager: John Lightowler


Academic Dress Academic gowns are worn for matriculation, formal meals, JCR Meetings and graduation. They can be bought, new or second-hand, during Freshers‟ Week; further details are in the Freshers‟ Information Pack. Battels This is the name given to the bills issued by the College. Apart from Residence Charges they include items such as the subscription for the St Mary's College Society, charges for replacement keys and fines. Bed Linen Students should bring their own duvet and duvet covers, pillows and pillowcases, sheets and towels. The College provides a mattress cover. International students and others unable to do this can purchase a bed linen set which will include a duvet, duvet cover, pillow, pillow case and sheet. Further information on how to purchase a bed linen set is available from Mrs Gillian Green, Housekeeper.(Email: Bicycles If you decide to bring your bicycle to Durham make sure that it is insured. Bring a sturdy locking device with you as well. Lockable storage is provided in the basement of the Fergusson Building. A key is obtainable from Reception which can be retained on a termly basis subject to a deposit. Storage of bikes in college rooms is prohibited. Calendar The University Calendar is a two volume document, in which all University regulations are published. Volume I contains the University's statutes, regulations, including student academic appeals procedures, diary and committee membership. Volume II contains information relating to University regulations governing degree programmes, including links to degree frameworks and module descriptions. Copies are available from the Student Support Administrator, on-line at or from the College and University libraries. Campaigning, Collections, etc. No door-to-door campaigning, collections or evangelising are allowed in College by either members of the College or by non-members without the permission of at least two members of the JCR Executive Chapel The Chapel is on the top floor of the North East Wing of the Fergusson Building: it is a welcoming and friendly place, always open for you to use for prayer or meditation or just to get some peace and quiet! Any faith group is welcome to use the Chapel for meetings or special services: please book with the Chaplain ( Every other Wednesday there is a service at 7.30pm followed by refreshments in the East JCR. On the other Wednesdays, there is a discussion evening. Themes for this will be 19

advertised each term. Once a term there is a sung compline on Tuesday at 8.30 pm, and at the end of the Michaelmas term there is a College Carol Service in the Cathedral. This is a popular and wonderful event, and a great way to finish the term. The Chaplain, The Reverend Jenny Moberly, is always available to all members of College, whatever the circumstances and needs, to offer support on a personal and confidential basis. Please do not hesitate to contact her. Mobile: 07787 313426. Otherwise a note in the SCR pigeon-hole will reach her. Cleaning Cleaners (bedders) enter your room one day a week between 9 am and 12.30 pm to vacuum, clean sinks and empty bins. You are requested to ensure the floor is clear for the cleaner to vacuum and the sink clear to clean. They also check for damage. Cleaning services are the responsibility of the Housekeeper, Mrs Gillian Green. College Officers A term used to refer to members of the College management team comprising the Principal, the Vice Principal and Senior tutor and the Bursar. Computing & Ensuite Online (ESOL) There are two computer rooms in the West Wing and East Wing of the Fergusson Building. Both are accessible 24 hours and have University Networked computers linked to the Internet. Access is unlimited, although those needing computers for academic purposes have priority. Laser printers and scanners are also available. Every student registers with the IT Service on arrival and is given a Durham University email address. If you are considering bringing or buying your own computer please seek advice from the University Computer Centre on its compatibility with University Computers (email:, or 0191 334 1515 (internal 41515). Each year Information Technology Service (ITS) reviews the specifications of machines for connection to its services. ITS reserves the right to withdraw support from underspecified machines. The current minimum PC or laptop specification is provided at: Disabilities The College makes specific provision for two types of physical disability: Mobility: St Mary‟s has a sloping site separating the two main buildings, connected by a long sequence of stone steps. Access at the front of Fergusson Building is limited by stone steps. Provision for wheelchair access is provided from the rear, via a sloped kerb leading to a ramp adjacent to the Dining Hall. This offers access to wheelchair users and others to all facilities on the Ground Floor. These include a toilet specifically adapted for wheelchair users. In addition, semi-automatic doors are provided throughout the route between the access, the Main Corridor and toilet facilities. Automatic doors also provide access to the Williamson Building which has two specially equipped rooms on the Ground Floor. Hearing: The College Deaf-Aid system provides a personal fire alert for those with hearing difficulties. Users are issued with a bleeper which gives a vibrating and visual warning of activated fire alarms. At night it can be used in conjunction with a cradle which allows the connection of a beacon and an under-pillow vibrator. 20

Disclosure of Information From time to time we receive enquiries for students‟ home addresses. We undertake to forward mail to you but we never disclose home addresses to third parties. Ensuite Online (ESOL) All student rooms in St Mary‟s College are connected to the University high speed network. Students can register their PC or laptop and acquire a network card and cable (if required) when they come into residence. Users have access to internet, e-mail and file-store provision. See also computing. Examination Resits Some St Mary‟s College first year students and a very few second year students are required to resit one or more of their examinations in the August/September period in order to qualify to proceed to the next academic year. There is a fee for the resits. This is £50 payable in July (£100 if you are resitting in an overseas examination centre). Faculty Handbook On-line versions of the Faculty Handbooks are now available on line from: Particular benefits of this new site include:    An on-line modules database searchable by department, level, type and size The module search section also includes a keyword search Individual programme frameworks listed by faculty and department

Formal Meals Formal dinners take place on two or three evenings a term. Dress code is determined by the occasion, lounge suit or jacket and tie for gentlemen and appropriate dresses for ladies are required for regular formal meals and some are black tie events. Academic gowns must also be worn for formal meals. The JCR will advise on etiquette. The College depends upon student servers to assist on these occasions. Those students who cannot attend formals and those who are serving should sign for an early meal in Ms Lyn Noble‟s (Food Services Manager) Office off the Dining Hall. The early meals are served at 6.15pm on Formal dining nights and Formal meals normally start at 7pm. Guests During term resident members of College can accommodate guests in their bedrooms by obtaining permission from Mrs Gillian Green, Housekeeper, 24 hours in advance. A charge, payable on booking, will be made for accommodation. If guests wish to take meals in College they should buy a meal ticket from Reception in advance. Guest Rooms Rooms to accommodate guests not staying in student rooms can be booked with Mrs Gillian Green, Housekeeper. A charge, payable on booking, will be made for bed and breakfast and any additional meals. Bookings should be made as early as possible beforehand, with payment.


Insurance You are advised to take out an insurance policy to cover your personal belongings, unless you are covered by your family household insurance. College cannot take any responsibility for money, valuables and other possessions kept in rooms. Insurance companies will not pay out unless there is a sign of forced entry, so on leaving your room always ensure that doors and windows are locked. Junior Common Room (JCR) The Junior Common Room is the collective term for undergraduate members of the College. The JCR is a student body organised and run by students through a student elected Executive Committee and acts as your voice in College management. You are encouraged to play and active and full role in your JCR. The term JCR also refers to the junior common rooms themselves, which house TVs and provide student social space. Laundry Your front door key will give you access to the Laundry rooms in both the Fergusson and Williamson Buildings. They should be kept locked for security reasons. Livers Out can obtain a key from Reception. Please be considerate of others when using the laundry facilities and keep them tidy. Library The College Library is open at all times to St Mary‟s students using your front door key. It is located on the first floor of the East Wing in the Fergusson Building. Please make sure the door is locked as you leave, for security reasons. Student Librarians assist the College Librarian, Mrs Elizabeth Gawley, in running of the Library. Funds are available to buy new books and suggestions for additions to the Library are very welcome. We also have our own Reserve Collection (next to the Library) which contains popular textbooks for core courses from all departments for short-term borrowing. As the facility is staffed, there are set opening hours as shown on the College Library notice board located by the East Wing main staircase on the ground floor. Please return all books promptly to minimise charges for missing books. Livers Out The term used for member of College who choose to live out rather than in College accommodation in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th years. Living out provides new experiences, but there is no requirement to do so should you wish to live in College after your first year. Livers out are actively encouraged to participate in College activities and remain part of the active and vibrant College community. Livers out can eat in College for lunch or dinner for the nominal charge of £2 a meal. Maintenance If you notice any college item in your room, a pantry, or any other public space that needs repairing, please take time to report this to staff in Reception who will write it in the Maintenance Book. The Maintenance Book is checked daily by the Caretaker and Porters and repairs are carried out as soon as is practicable.


Meals Meals are served in the Dining Hall at the following times: Breakfast: Monday – Saturday Sunday Lunch: 8.00 am - 9.00 am (Cooked Breakfast) 9.00 am – 10.00 am (Cereal & Toast) 8.30 am - 9.00 am (Cooked Breakfast) 9.00 am – 10.00 am (Cereal & Toast) Monday – Friday (inclusive of Sunday12.30 pm - 1.30 pm Saturday Brunch Dinner: Monday – Friday Saturday Sunday Weekday Formals 11.00 am - 1.30 pm 5.45 pm - 7.00 pm 5.00 pm - 6.00 pm 5.00 pm - 6.00 pm 7.00 pm (these occur 2 or 3 times each term)

Food allergies: All students with known food allergies should contact the Food Services Manager, Ms Lyn Noble (45920) or email ( Meals Signing Out Scheme: If you do not wish to take lunch in College you may opt out on specified days (this may be for up to five days - Monday to Friday - each week). You must sign the opt out sheets on the main notice board at the beginning of each term. Repayment will be in the form of a credit on your next College bill. Packed Meals: Packed meals and early or late meals can be provided. Please see Ms Lyn Noble, Food Services Manager for details. Middle Common Room (MCR) The Middle Common Room is the body representing mature undergraduate students and postgraduates within College, as with the JCR this is a student coordinated and run body which represents the MCR membership within the College management. The MCR is also the term used for the common room space sued by the MCR members. Opting Out JCR Membership: Each student pays a charge to be a member of the Junior Common Room (JCR) in their College. This is collected in advance during your first year. However, the 1994 Education Act allows students to opt out of JCR membership. The implications of opting out of the JCR can be obtained from the JCR President. Opting out must be done on a yearly basis. Students may opt back in at any time except during the four week period prior to the JCR Executive Elections and the remainder of the Epiphany Term. To opt out a student must give their name to the JCR President by the beginning of the third week (commencing Monday 19th October) of the Michaelmas Term. College Library: The College has agreed with the JCR that each member of the JCR will make a voluntary financial contribution to help maintain the facilities provided by the College Library. Any student who chooses not to contribute will not be disadvantaged in any way from making full use of the College Library. To


opt out a student must give their name to the Student Support Administrator by the beginning of the third week of the Michaelmas Term, i.e. 19 October 2009. St Mary’s College Society: The opportunity to become a life Member of St Mary‟s College Society (for all graduates of the College) is extended to all JCR members during their first year as an undergraduate or a postgraduate. A charge of just £20 is made for lifetime membership of the Society payable in two instalments during the Epiphany and Easter Terms of a student‟s first year. The Society is particularly important in supporting current students, which it has done for many years by donations and bequests. Many students over the years, for example, have been supported through Society travel bursaries, and the Development Fund facilitates a range of JCR activities. Membership of the Society provides a wide range of benefits, including a regular newsletter, which keeps former students informed about College developments and news, as well as keeping them in touch with each other; College Reunions take place each year both at Durham and increasingly more widely afield. The Society is dependent on this subscription. However, it is possible to opt out of membership. If students wish to do so, they must give their name to the Secretary of the St Mary‟s College Society, by emailing, by the beginning of the third week of the Michaelmas Term, i.e. 19 October 2009. Requests to opt out past this date will not be considered. Students however may not be eligible to benefit from any Society resources if they opt out from Society membership. Pantries Pantry facilities are available to all resident students. Pantry equipment is provided by the College for communal use and should be treated with consideration. Students are responsible for cleaning equipment, crockery, cutlery and utensils used in the pantries. Parties and Meetings Private parties and meetings of College societies may be held in the JCRs with the permission of the JCR Secretary, Rachel Tustin ( A charge may be made as well as provision of a deposit at the discretion of the JCR Secretary or College. The person responsible for holding the gathering must clear up. Numbers are limited to 60 in the Fergusson Building JCRs, 40 in the Williamson Building JCR. Parties are not allowed during examinations. At other times they may be held on Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings or any night after the May/June examinations. A party must end before midnight and be cleared up immediately afterwards. Senior Common Room (SCR) The Senior Common Room is the body of senior members of the College including members of academic staff, former students, College tutors and other senior members of the College Community. As with JCR and MCR terminology, the term refers to both the body of people and the physical common room space. 24

St Mary’s College Society (SMCS) This is your Society and represents all former St Mary‟s College graduates. This is a very special club which not only represents our distinguished history, it also supports our present and future as a College. The opportunity to become a life Member of St Mary‟s College Society (for all graduates of the College) is extended to all JCR members during their first year as an undergraduate or a postgraduate. A charge of just £20 is made for lifetime membership of the Society payable in two instalments during the Epiphany and Easter Terms of a student‟s first year. The Society is particularly important in supporting current students, which it has done for many years by donations and bequests. Many students over the years, for example, have been supported through Society travel bursaries, and the Development Fund facilitates a range of JCR activities. Membership of the Society provides a wide range of benefits, including a regular newsletter, which keeps former students informed about College developments and news, as well as keeping them in touch with each other; College Reunions take place each year both at Durham and increasingly more widely afield. The Society is dependent on this subscription and you are actively encouraged to subscribe to and benefit from membership. Sports Facilities St Mary‟s College has a tennis/netball court and a gym in the Williamson Building. Gym membership is available through the JCR, keys can be obtained from Reception. The sports field next to College ("Mary's Field") can be booked via the Graham Sports Centre, Maiden Castle (0191 334 2178). Information about team games, the boat club and other sports clubs can be obtained from the JCR. There is a charge for membership of the University Sports Centre, further details can be found in the Freshers‟ Information Pack. Student Loans and Other Funding Information about Student Loans, Financial Support, College Book Grants and Travel Bursaries can be obtained from the College and Principal‟s Secretary. If you have any worries about finances, particularly about paying the College bill, please contact Mrs Debbie Holmes, Finance Officer, in the first instance and as soon as possible. Telephones There are public telephones in both College buildings. Telephone messages on the main College number cannot be delivered to students, except in an emergency. There are a number of internal telephones in College with relevant extension numbers attached. Internal telephones can be used for incoming calls from outside the University. These can be made by adding 0191 33 before the internal telephone extension. Students are requested to ask their family and friends not to telephone after 11 pm except in real emergencies, as this disturbs the person living near the internal telephone. International students should guide their families on the best time to ring, allowing for time zones. Televisions There are televisions in all three JCRs and the MCR. The JCR has a portable television and DVD player which can be hired. If you bring a TV from home, you will have to buy a personal TV licence. 25

The numbers in brackets are internal telephone numbers. For external calls dial 0191 33 followed by the internal number. There are photographs of staff on the St Mary’s College website: The PRINCIPAL, Professor Philip M. Gilmartin (45963), is concerned with the overall direction and management of the College. He chairs some committees of College Council, which is responsible to the Council of the University. He is a member of the University Senate and Professor in the School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. He may be contacted via Miss Rebecca Topping, Secretary. The VICE-PRINCIPAL and SENIOR TUTOR, Dr Gillian Boughton (45919), is concerned with student welfare and academic matters such as course changes, medical concessions and appeals. She also plays a key role in the admission of students. Please contact her through the Student Support Administrator (45963) at any time. . The BURSAR, Ms Michelle Crawford (45942), is responsible for the financial and domestic management of the College. This includes the provision of student College Bills each term and the setting of budgets for expenditure on food, cleaning services and so on. The CHAPLAIN, Revd Jenny Moberly can be approached informally. She can be contacted by you or your church at the College address, by phone, by email or by dropping a note in the SCR non-Residents‟ mail tray. Tel: 07787 313426 The STUDENT SUPPORT ADMINISTRATOR, Mrs Dorothy Lawton (45963), is concerned with welfare issues, registration and financial support applications. She will inform your academic department in case of illness and arranges appointments with the Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor, The FINANCE OFFICER, Mrs Deborah Holmes (45937), deals with all financial matters, prepares College Bills and administers the College‟s financial affairs. The DOMESTIC SERVICES MANAGER, Mrs Helen Davies (45929), is responsible for the day-to-day management of all domestic services – catering, housekeeping, and maintenance - during term and vacations. The BURSAR’S SECRETARY/COLLEGE ADMINISTRATOR, Mrs Karen Fisher (45955), works closely with the Bursar and senior domestic staff. She has responsibility for booking internal facilities and supporting internal events in term and vacation. The ADMISSIONS SECRETARIES, Mrs Helen Fairless (Mon - Wed 9am – 5pm) & Ms Veronique Peacock (Thurs & Fri 9am – 3pm) (45914), work mainly with the VicePrincipal and Senior Tutor in the admissions process. They write to candidates, arrange interviews and process decisions about admissions.


The RECEPTIONIST, Mrs Emily Hale (45719), is responsible for: receiving new students and all visitors to College; distributing and collecting keys; sorting mail and storing parcels; holding the Incident and Maintenance Books. The SECRETARY, Miss Rebecca Topping (45983), is also responsible for the Principal‟s diary. The FOOD SERVICES MANAGER, Ms Lyn Noble (45920), is responsible to the Domestic Services Manager. She directs the dining hall staff and is in charge of „front of house‟ both during term and vacation. The HEAD CHEF, Mr Paul Embleton (45920) directs his team of chefs and kitchen porters and is in charge of catering both during term and vacation. The HOUSEKEEPER, Mrs Gillian Green (45945), is responsible to the Domestic Services Manager. She directs the activities of the cleaning staff and is in charge of room bookings by students for vacations. The ASSISTANT OPERATIONS MANAGER (FACILITIES) , Mr Stephen Tindale (45719), looks after day-to-day maintenance needs in College buildings as well as organising and issuing keys, covers Reception at various times and help with other duties, including setting up for function rooms. The PORTERS, Mr Malcolm Bates, Mr Gordon Graham Mr Robin Hinds, Mr Nigel Race and Mr Shaun Storey (45719) provide 24 hour reception and portering cover. They take responsibility for College security and the closing of the bar, and help in many other ways. The DOMESTIC STAFF include cooks, kitchen and dining room staff, and cleaners. They are busy throughout the year, providing for students, for resident and non-resident University staff, for vacation visitors, for everyday and special occasions. The SENIOR COMMON ROOM (SCR) is both a suite of rooms and a body of people resident and non-resident University (academic and administrative) staff, and other members of College. Members of the SCR eat together on High Table, and enjoy some special occasions and meetings in College. All College Tutors are members of the SCR. The MIDDLE COMMON ROOM (MCR) refers to members of College who are reading for postgraduate degrees and mature students reading for undergraduate degrees. Postgraduates are also meals members of the SCR, enabling them to dine on High Table if they wish. The JUNIOR COMMON ROOM (JCR), as well as being a physical room (in fact several), is also the term for the student body in this College. All students are members of the JCR whether they live in or out of College. There is an elected JCR Executive Committee which runs various events as well as the Shop, Bars etc. The JCR President for 2009-10 is James Liddell.


Useful Telephone Numbers
For calls made from outside Durham University but within the UK or on mobile telephones please prefix the following numbers with: 0191 33 for International Calls: + 44 191 33 For calls from the University internal telephone system dial the following numbers only: 45719 45963 45919 45942 45963 45937 45929 45945 45920 45920 45923 45914 45914 45983 45955 45972 45940 45954 45953 45948 45952 45982 45924 45968 45961 45926 45970 45969
45974 45977 45931 45934 45947 45949 45950 45978 45932 45933 45975 45951 45973 45943 45927 45971 45979 45976

Reception/Evening Porter/Duty Officer Principal – Professor Philip Gilmartin Vice-Principal & Senior Tutor – Dr Gillian Boughton Bursar – Ms Michelle Crawford Chaplain – Revd Jenny Moberly Mobile Tel: 07787313426 Student Support Administrator – Mrs Dorothy Lawton Finance Assistant – Mrs Deborah Holmes Domestic Services Manager – Mrs Helen Davies Housekeeper – Mrs Gillian Green Food Services Manager – Ms Lyn Noble Head Chef – Mr Paul Embleton Assistant Opertations Manager (Facilities) – Mr Stephen Tindale; Porter – Mr Robin Hinds Admissions Secretary – Mrs Helen Fairless (Mon/Tues/Wed) Admissions Secretary – Ms Veronique Peacock (Thurs/Fri) Secretary – Miss Rebecca Topping Bursar‟s Secretary/College Administrator – Mrs Karen Fisher Tutors‟ Room JCR President – Mr James Liddell JCR Vice-President – To be appointed JCR Treasurer – Mr Niall Oddy JCR Bar JCR Shop East JCR Conference Bar (Dining Hall) Senior Common Room Calvert Room Kenworthy Hall Holdsworth Room Donaldson Room
Fergusson Building West (1st Floor) Fergusson Building West (2nd/3rd Floor) Fergusson Building East (1st Floor) Fergusson Building East (2nd/3rd Floor) Fergusson Building - Shepherd Wing (rooms 121-127) Fergusson Building – Shepherd Wing (rooms 129-140) Fergusson Building - North East Wing Williamson Building West (Ground Floor) Williamson Building West (2nd Floor) Williamson Building East (Ground Floor) Williamson Building East (2nd Floor) Williamson Building JCR Williamson Building Underpass Fitness Room Williamson Building South Centre (East Stairwell) Williamson Building South Centre (West Stairwell) Williamson Building South East Williamson Building South West


INDEX Absence Academic & Pastoral Support Academic Dress Accommodation Alcohol Appeal College Regulations Appeals, Academic Bar Battels Bed Linen Bicycles Campaigning, Collections Candles Car Parking Cars, University Licence Chapel & Chaplaincy Charges, Damages & Fines City Liaison Cleaning Climate Change Communication Computers Crockery & Cutlery Debts Dentists Disabilities Discipline Disclosure of Information Drugs Electrical Appliances Emergencies Energy Conservation Ensuite Online Environmental Contacts Environmental Responsibility Examination Resits Extended Lets Faculty Handbook Fire Regulations Firearms & Dangerous Weapons First Aid Formal Meals Furniture Games Guests Gym Harassment, Personal and Sexual Health Health & Safety 29

PAGE 1 5,6 19 7,8,9,10 4 6 2 13 19 19 19 19 11 10 2,3, 4 19,20 14-16 10 20 17,18 5 20 13 4 11 20 5,6 21 4 13 10,16,17 17 20,21 18 17,18 21 7 21 12 11 17 21 14 14 21 12 6 11 10

Incidents Insurance Junior Common Room (JCR) Keeping of Terms Keys Laundry Library, College Licence Agreement (accommodation) Living Out Maintenance Matriculation Meal Cards Meals, times, signing out, packed Medical Registration Medical Self-Certification Middle Common Room (MCR) Noise, Noise Fines Opting Out of Membership Pantries Parties & Meetings Pets Posters & Decorations Prohibited Areas Recycling Residence Resource Conservation Rubbish Security Senior Common Room (SCR) Smoking Sports Facilities St Mary‟s College Society Staff, List of College Storage in Vacation Student Loans Telephone Numbers, College Telephones Televisions Terms, Dates of Tutors, College University Calendar Vacation, Residence in Weekends away Withdrawal for College Accommodation

17 22 22,23 1 12,13 22 22 7 9,22 22 1 8 23 10 1,11 23 6,9,16 23,24 24 24 14 14 9 17,18 1,7,8,9 18 10 12,13 24 14 12,25 24,25 26,27 8 25 28 25 25 Contents Page 5 1,19 8 1 8


To top