The House by Levone


									George W. Robinson House
This exceptionally preserved house was built in 1838 for the family of a Maine sea captain, George William Robinson, and his wife Lucretia Stone. The house was inherited by two more generations - 82 years in the same family - before being sold to two successive families who owned it for 50 and 20 years respectively. The Andersons purchased the house in 1990 and have since devoted themselves to the accurate restoration of the property. The house is a one-and-a-half storey Greek Revival Cape of magnificent quality. Because the Andersons are only the fourth owners in 170 years, the house is essentially unspoiled. The rooms are well proportioned and the detail of woodwork is well defined. On the first floor, the house has a matching pair of formal living rooms each with its own black marble fireplace, a formal dining room, a library, and a full bath and large kitchen with a fireplace and pantry. The marble for the fireplaces was quarried in Thomaston. The second floor has three large bedrooms, a large full bath and a small birthing room. Because of the house’s 40 by 40 foot dimensions, the proportions of the rooms are generous. For a cape the ceiling height of the second floor, 8 feet 6 inches, and the first floor, 8 feet 10 inches, are impressive. Built-in cabinets tuck into the eaves. The windows are large and contain original glass, some of which has changed color due to the effects of sunlight on imperfections in old glass. Before central heating was installed in 1920 the upstairs rooms had small candle stoves that burned one log placed in an upright position. The house has been restored by local craftsman Galo Hernandez. The many layers of paint have been removed down to tight-grained old-growth wood. During this process, the Andersons became aware of the excellent workmanship and quality of the materials used when the house was originally built. Many boards are over two feet in width with several, the kitchen counters for example, exceeding a yard in width. The house has large six-over-six windows with deep mullions and handsome framing. On the first floor, the living room interior shutters fold into the thick framing walls that measure up to ten inches in depth. The windows have side pins that can be pushed in at various heights to keep them open. The Anderson’s also constructed a miniature replica of their home for their youngest granddaughter. The dollhouse is a 1/12 scale model of their home, executed with the same precision and attention to detail that is evident in the restoration of the actual house. The Andersons have lovingly restored the interior and exterior of their home to pristine perfection as well as created a remarkable miniature replica of the house. Not only have the Andersons assured that this architectural gem will survive as an authentic historical specimen for many years to come, but they have made a significant contribution to the Town of Thomaston and the State of Maine.

For their outstanding efforts to preserve their house and memorialize it through a masterful dollhouse, we are pleased to present a 2009 Maine Preservation Honor Award for House Rehabilitation to Olof and Eve Anderson for the George W. Robinson House; with recognition for the efforts of Galo Hernandez. Receiving the award are Olof and Eve Anderson and Galo Hernandez. Greg Paxton, Executive Director of Maine Preservation, said: “This excellent quality restoration is remarkable in its own right but made even more special by the astounding dollhouse replica lovingly created by its owners.”

To top