A home for
The HP Garage—the Birthplace of Silicon Valley
367 Addison Avenue, Palo Alto, California
HP Corporate Archives
A home for innovation
Tucked away on a quiet, tree-lined residential street near
Stanford University, the HP Garage stands today as the
enduring symbol of innovation and the entrepreneurial
spirit. It was in this humble 12x18-foot building that college
friends Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard first pursued the
dream of a company of their own. Guided by an
unwavering desire to develop innovative and useful
products, the two men went on to blaze a trail at the
forefront of the electronics revolution.
The history of the HP Garage
The HP Garage in 1939 (top) and The garage stands behind a two-story Shingle
restored in 2005 (bottom). Style home built for Dr. John C. Spencer about
1905. The exact construction date of the garage
is unknown, but while there is no evidence of its
presence on insurance maps dated 1908, by 1924
it is clearly denoted on updated documents as a
In 1938, Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard decided to
“make a run for it” in business. Dave left his job
at General Electric in Schenectady, New York, and
returned to Palo Alto while Bill scouted rentals. The garage was dedicated as the Birthplace
of Silicon Valley in 1989, and HP acquired the
He found one perfect for their needs on Addison property in 2000. HP is proud to have worked
Avenue. Chosen specifically because of a garage closely with the City of Palo Alto to return the
he and Dave could use as their workshop, the house, garage, and shed to conditions much
property also offered a three-room, ground- as they were in 1939. The heritage project was
floor flat for Dave and his new wife Lucile and an completed in 2005. In 2007, the property was
8x18-foot shed for Bill. They shared the $45 per listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
While the HP Garage is not open for public tours,
The garage served as research lab, development individual visitors and small groups may view
workshop, and manufacturing facility for early and photograph the property and landmark from
products, including the Model 200A audio the sidewalk. Addison Avenue remains a quiet
oscillator. The company, founded in 1939, was residential neighborhood, so if you decide to visit,
named with a coin toss. The garage was soon please respect the privacy of our neighbors.
outgrown, and in 1940 HP moved into larger
quarters nearby on Page Mill Road.
HP Garage and
r sit y
Wa v e
Oregon Ex p.
B r ya
3 67 A
r sit y
El Camino Real
North Hw y 28 0
c.1905 1919–1920 1924 1934 1935
House at 367 (then numbered The house is divided into two The 12x18-foot garage Bill Hewlett and Dave Dave moves to Schenectady,
369) Addison Ave. is built for apartments numbered 367 first appears on Sanborn Packard graduate from New York, to work for
Dr. John Spencer, a physician and 369. Insurance maps of Palo Alto. Stanford University. General Electric. Bill remains
and early mayor of Palo Alto. at Stanford to prepare for
graduate work at MIT.
1936 1937 1938 move into the three-room with $538 in working capital,
Bill completes grad work at Dave visits Bill in Palo Alto; Dave takes a leave of apartment on the first floor including the value of Dave’s
MIT and returns to Palo Alto. they have their first official absence from GE and moves (#367) and Bill moves into used Craftsman drill press.
business meeting. back to Palo Alto with his the shed in the back. The They develop numerous
new wife, Lucile. The Addison landlady, Mrs. Ione Spencer, products, including HP’s first
Avenue rental is specifically lives in the upstairs flat at product, the Model 200A
chosen because it has a #369. Bill and Dave begin audio oscillator.
garage. Dave and Lucile part-time work in the garage
1939 1940 1985 1987
January 1, Bill and Dave Hewlett-Packard Company The garage is designated a The garage becomes
formalize their partnership. moves to a larger rented City of Palo Alto landmark. California Historical
They decide the company’s building on Page Mill Road. Landmark No. 976.
name with a coin toss. After Dave and Lucile move to the
Bill and Flora’s marriage, Palo Alto neighborhood of
the small shed becomes Barron Park.
the HP business office.
Dave (left) and Bill in the
1989 2000 2005 2007
Dedication ceremonies are HP acquires the Addison HP restores the garage, The property is listed on
held for the “Birthplace of Avenue property. house, and shed at the National Register of
Silicon Valley.” 367 Addison Ave. Historic Places.
Bill (left) and Dave at the
For more information about the HP Garage, visit:
Dave (left) and Bill at the 1989 dedication of the garage as California Landmark No. 976, the
Birthplace of Silicon Valley.
© Copyright 2010, 2012 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties
for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as
constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
4AA1-8320ENA, December 2012, Rev. 1