Attendees by Levone

VIEWS: 101 PAGES: 10

									Crystal Palace Park
Sports Working Group 11th April 2006

Please use The Environment Council details below as your first point of contact: 212 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7BF Tel: 020 7836 2626 Email: info@envcouncil.org.uk www..the-environment-council.org.uk

Produced by Nigel Westaway & Associates and The Environment Council

If you have any comments or queries regarding this transcription please contact: Name: Sarah Graham Direct Line: 020 7632 0140 E-mail: sarahg@envcouncil.org.uk

INTRODUCTORY NOTE The meeting was facilitated by Nigel Westaway & Associates and The Environment Council. This report is a typed transcript of the flipchart record written (in open view of all the participants) during the meeting.
To make the record more intelligible, some explanatory notes have since been added by the facilitator. These are shown in bold italics. All other wording is as agreed by participants on the day, apart from minor grammatical corrections and clarifications. Comments recorded are made by individuals and these views are not necessarily shared by other participants.

Any agreements reached by the whole group are boxed like this.
Because the record is inevitably cryptic in places, it is recommended that it should not be used to brief people who did not attend the meeting without a full explanation from a participant.

Table of Contents

Attendees...................................................................................................................1 Apologies ...................................................................................................................1 Agenda ......................................................................................................................1 Main Group Reflections..............................................................................................2 Code of Conduct ........................................................................................................2 Diving .........................................................................................................................2 Museum Update.........................................................................................................3 GLL Update ...............................................................................................................3 English Heritage Update ............................................................................................4 Sports Centre Competition .........................................................................................5 Outstanding PkWG Issues .........................................................................................5 Outstanding SpWG Issues .........................................................................................5 Hockey .......................................................................................................................5 Commonwealth Games Update .................................................................................6 Next Meetings ............................................................................................................7 Actions .......................................................................................................................7

Attendees Peter Hore Sarah Graham Norman Edgell Roger Frith Lee Hosking Iain Killingbeck Peter Austin Tony Wallace Nigel Westaway Mick Firth Richard Nixon Stuart Paterson Apologies Keith Morgan Brian Spicer Gary Wasniewski Chris Snode (attended for diving discussion only) Agenda The following agenda was agreed for the meeting: Agenda review Main Group reflections Actions Code of conduct (1) Other updates – GLL, museum English Heritage, NSC, all weather pitches Diving 11.20 Break Architectural competition Lessons from Commonwealth Games SpWG work programme Dates, actions, etc 12.30 CLOSE 9.30 Tessa Jowell’s Office The Environment Council LRASA/LFSR LDA Arup Associates LDA Norwood Society GLL NWA SLH Resident Athletic Club Surrey HA/ LYG Hockey Sports Injury Clinic

Page 1 of 7

Main Group Reflections
              CPPAG should be invited to PkWG until next Main Group o Ran out of time to discuss fully Main Group agreed code of conduct, except handful of people Correspondence still ongoing with CPCA o They have written to Ken Livingstone saying they have been excluded from the process Response to Bromley from several organisations and people objecting to LDA’s involvement with the park o This was written in early March Bromley had to issue public notices about the NSC and the park LDA now have the lease for the NSC and can take on the park between now and 2009 Statutory bodies can’t receive lottery funding CPPAG will be at the next working group meeting but CPCA won’t be o They are still welcome to rejoin if they agree to the code of conduct CPCA have told Upper Norwood Chamber of Commerce that they are unhappy with some organisations involved in the dialogue If ask questions about one organisation in the dialogue then we have to ask them all Framework was signed off except for the hilltop, NSC and Rockhills/Sydenham gateways Viewing platform wasn’t shown on the plans o Framework already includes a platform by the subway o Didn’t want to include another at a gateway Need plan that shows the timescales for the developments Party political issues have never been a factor in this dialogue o Piece in Southwark News about the conservatives o Conservatives haven’t been consistently represented in this process

Code of Conduct
   Need to add to code of conduct o Potential financial interests in the park Could add that they’re ‘guidelines’ o Makes it less legalistic Will amend and send out again, after PkWG meeting

Diving
 LDA met Chris Snode and Tony Wallace about high level diving and also Sport England o Unsure whether to have high or medium level diving or any diving at all o Talking to Sport England about which one to go for so sports competition is currently on hold o ASA want diving at Crystal Palace New building with diving wouldn’t be any higher than current one However, new site is on higher ground Can dig down into the ground for diving Height of building problem has been solved in other countries Intention is to use diving pool as a learner pool too

    

Page 2 of 7

                  

Could have a glass bowl over the diving as they do in Madrid Need to decide on diving before competition goes ahead Previous figures didn’t include a gym Have always pushed for acrobatics o Need to have diving and gymnastics together Are there other ways to save money? o If you take other facilities out then would lose the money that that facility makes Cost is the biggest problem Can cut into the hillside to reduce the height of the building LDA are lobbying Sport England for money Aquatic centre at Stratford is currently being reviewed South London won’t have any diving left Will take another 4 – 6 weeks to get a decision from Sport England If have any other suggestions then let LDA know Can feedback feelings from this group to DCMS o Don’t know what will happen o Copy in Ken Livingstone and Seb Coe LDA can inform Ken & Seb No-one is providing cash for sport Money is available for athletes and teams but not for facilities Needs to be part of ASA strategy o Need letter from director of British Swimming to LDA, Ken Livingstone, Seb Coe Worried about whether Stratford diving will be functional after 2012 o CP already has a programme Have promised to build facilities in Stratford

Museum Update
 Suggestion at last PkWG that museum trustees and CPF needed some facilitated meetings o The trustees want to move forward with talks with LDA o Have also agreed to share their membership policy o NW will now write to CPF asking for a meeting LDA have said that they won’t necessarily work with either group Museum trustees are happy in principle to have Sharon present as an observer at their meetings o Would like CPF to make the same offer CPF are welcome to attend the meetings with Museum trustees and LDA o LDA are happy for a PKWG member to be present Melbourne has a new museum with a section on sporting history. Could be relevant to Crystal Palace

   

GLL Update
 Work is underway on DDA project o Passenger lift being installed o New reception area o Café for users and non-users o No improvements for Crystal Suite

Page 3 of 7

            

o Will take about 20 weeks o Leaflets available for public o Contractors are aware of Youth Games and events o Will be improved changing facilities Just completed refurbishment of female dry changing Member numbers are increasing Some public are using the football bubble About to invest in an IT upgrade Preparing for summer events London Volleyball going out on London News tonight Refurbishment of Harpers Gym to put in London Leisure College hub, bid gone in and want to get sign off in next six weeks Sports Injury Clinic will be putting up more signage. It’s not just for elite athletes Having to prioritise the list of needs Trying to improve the systems Bar pitch – putting together a paper to refurbish it. Coming to the end of its life for hockey and also football soon o They have to be refurbished an about every 10 years Contingency plans in place for hockey for London Youth Games. Heats will be in Redbridge. Need to know whether suitable in middle of May England Hockey develop hockey around clubs not facilities

English Heritage Update
                LDA met English Heritage with plans for the existing NSC Outdoor pitches would be put under the existing building All weather pitches aren’t really all weather – can get too wet or freeze LAC look like it will accept the plans for retention of building Cost will be about £15m Revenue would be about £300k each year English Heritage think they will like it Profit would be about £100k pa, but a net drain on new sports centre finances Diving structure would remain but pool wouldn’t Meeting Heritage Lottery in about 3 weeks Now there is an alternative to demolition it will be harder for the LDA to apply for demolition LDA will do presentation to PkWG Most people would like to see the existing building removed Will take up an extra 10,000 square metres. Won’t have any outdoor pitches though What sort of reception facilities would it have? o Changing rooms would be heated o Seating would remain MG said that they would support scheme to keep existing building if there was no other option

Page 4 of 7

Sports Centre Competition
    On hold until diving & demolition issues resolved 60 Expressions of Interests received Will shortlist and interview 10 4 – 6 will submit designs

Outstanding PkWG Issues
               Sydenham/Rockhills housing Master planner appointment and work programme English Heritage Detailed park plan Hilltop proposals and appraisal criteria Park-wide issues (staffing, dogs, opening hours, lighting, events, security) Environmental sustainability Future park ownership and management Park income and costs (capital and revenue) Phasing of works Immediate improvements Other outdoor ‘sports’ (cricket, bmx, informal football, cross country, jogging, cycling, fishing) Museum Local regeneration Transport

Outstanding SpWG Issues
        Architectural competition Other sports – tennis, ? Sports centre user issues: opening hours, charges, staffing, priorities for access, etc Ancillary facilities – catering, teaching, retail, etc. Special sports events (LYG, charity sports events, etc) Phasing of works Cross country Sports section in museum

Hockey
  Frost is stopping all weather pitches from operating more often in this country o Could they be domed o Wouldn’t want them long-term in this park. Other areas would be ok Losing a hockey pitch in Crystal Palace o Langley Park School (state school) which is close by is doing very well  In England School Boys Hockey there were national runners up in the under 18s and reached the national quarter finals in three age groups o Currently they have half a pitch, as they share it with the girls school

Page 5 of 7

o o

Could there be a contribution to this school as they are losing a pitch at Crystal Palace Langley could combine with Trinity

Commonwealth Games Update
      Sporting systems work effectively Using refurbished buildings/stadiums Extra seating used Good access Locations were all central Transport – trams going through park o Trains o Tubes o Loop tram – free Atmosphere High security Free travel for ticket holders Cultural shows Hockey and netball were 6 –7 kms from the centre

    

Page 6 of 7

Next Meetings

April

PkWG

SpWG

May

PkWG

June

PkWG

SpWG

27th June – 9.30

July

PkWG

Aug

Sept

PkWG

SpWG

Oct

Main Group

 

Residual planning framework issues Masterplan issues

Actions Action Fencing contact to TEC Cycling circuit – talk to LDA re design Circulate Park PQQ Who Gary W Glyn D LDA When

End April

Page 7 of 7


								
To top