Attendees by Levone

VIEWS: 55 PAGES: 10

									NIGEL WESTAWAY & Associates
environmental facilitation environmental facilitation and conflict resolution and conflict resolution
e-mail: nwestaway@compuserve.com e-mail: nwestaway@compuserve.com

Crystal Palace Park
Sports Working Group 6th December 2005

Please use The Environment Council details below as your first point of contact

Produced by Nigel Westaway & Associates and The Environment Council

If you have any comments or queries regarding this transcription please contact: Name: Sarah Graham Direct Line: 020 7632 0140 E-mail: sarahg@envcouncil.org.uk

INTRODUCTORY NOTE The meeting was facilitated by Nigel Westaway & Associates and The Environment Council. This report is a typed transcript of the flipchart record written (in open view of all the participants) during the meeting.
To make the record more intelligible, some explanatory notes have since been added by the facilitator. These are shown in bold italics. All other wording is as agreed by participants on the day, apart from minor grammatical corrections and clarifications. Comments recorded are made by individuals and these views are not necessarily shared by other participants.

Any agreements reached by the whole group are boxed like this.
Because the record is inevitably cryptic in places, it is recommended that it should not be used to brief people who did not attend the meeting without a full explanation from a participant.

Table of Contents Attendees ........................................................................................................................ 4 Agenda............................................................................................................................ 4 Sports Centre Update...................................................................................................... 5 Consultation .................................................................................................................... 6 Preliminary Results ......................................................................................................... 6 Diving .............................................................................................................................. 7 Hockey ............................................................................................................................ 7 Sports Centre Design Competition .................................................................................. 7 Facilities Mix.................................................................................................................... 8 Business Plan ................................................................................................................. 9 Sports Consultation ......................................................................................................... 9 Park Working Group Representatives ............................................................................. 9 Future Meetings ............................................................................................................ 10 Actions .......................................................................................................................... 10

Page 3 of 10

Attendees
Sarah Graham Nigel Westaway Iain Killingbeck Roger Frith Lee Hosking Norman Edgell Jo Gibbons Peter Austin Peter Hore Gary Wasniewski Steve Arneil Bevan Ellis Tony Wallace Keith Morgan Martin Hussey Brian Spicer Richard Nixon Mick Firth Matt Favier The Environment Council Independent Facilitator LDA LDA Arup Associates SCASA/LFSR J & L Gibbons Norwood Society Tessa Jowell’s Office Tyga Martial Arts CP Karate Sports Injury Clinic GLL London Weightlifting Centre LB Bromley English Table Tennis Association Surrey Hockey Association SLH/UKA UK Athletics

Apologies
Terry Edwards Chris Snode Amateur Boxing England Crystal Palace Diving Institute

Agenda
Introductions, agenda review Actions from Sept meeting Updates Preliminary consultation results Diving Sports centre design competition Sports centre design brief 11.15 BREAK Sports centre business plan Continued sports consultation – technical brief, shortlisting, detailed design brief, award, scheme refinement Way forward – dates, actions 1.00 CLOSE 9.30

Page 4 of 10

Sports Centre Update
            Health and fitness relocation was completed at the end of October Classrooms are to go in as part of the partnership with London College Membership rates are still increasing North pitch development is underway, being covered with Astroturf. A third of it will be covered with a bubble for Crystal Palace Football Club Academy. Will be completed by Christmas & will be open to public use most of the time Passenger lift is being installed to all floors, new signage also for DDA Have been dusting to remove asbestos in the building Ice rink is scheduled to open on Saturday for four weeks Event programme is still strong o Nike 5km run – new project Accountancy exams taking place over next two weeks Are there any changes to training pool taking place? o Changes to changing facilities under DDA Can there be improvements in main hall re: ventilation? o Currently looking at how to get window motors working again Croydon Advertiser talks about reducing swimming lanes for public use o GLL tried to guarantee one lane for public use every night. Tuesday and Thursday not possible though due to high club demand. o Between 8 – 9am pool is reduced from 6 to 4 lanes due to number of customers. Will open at 7 instead of 8 though. Planning application for The Lodge relates to DDA access and enlargement of rooms. Might lose the Paxton Suite to create bedrooms. Toilets will be refurbished. Not many other options. If it goes ahead will be next year. Tender interviews are taking place this week. Currently there is limited disabled access o New reception will have double electronic door and low counters o Will be finished by April No short term plans to separate wet and dry areas Need to look at quality of water in accommodation 3G pitch won’t be suitable for hockey o There were no plans to redevelop north pitch. Is only being done due to CPFC academy coming forward o Have auditors to check quality of pitches. Were told bar pitch is not suitable for hockey If South pitch not suitable for hockey, will have to go elsewhere for London Youth Games Weightlifting championships still happen here. Strength training facilities still need developing Can Paxton’s name still be used if this room goes? If new centre goes ahead, where do you stop with short term improvement at existing centre? o Have put forward proposals to LDA. Annual budget for maintenance. Won’t be spending huge amounts if plant goes wrong though LDA takes over responsibility on 25th March 2006. Sport England will manage for LDA Have Board approval to keep current centre open until 2010



   

   

 

Page 5 of 10

      





Can’t close centre until 2012 Will have an events coordinator for the park and sports centre as a whole Won’t retain the football academy in new centre Discussing extension to GLL’s contract Discussion with South Bank and Greenwich College re: academy in new centre Sports science as a subject is declining Croydon Post had article about Crystal Palace Football Club coming back to Crystal Palace Park o Football club have some political support so is sensitive o LDA don’t think it is appropriate to have them in the park Sub regional partnerships – divide London into 5 sub regions. Bromley will be in South London. Will produce seven year strategy. £150k/year for next 3 years funding. o Aim is to drive up participation and work with communities o Can get further information on Sport England’s website A lot of sports aren’t regional or sub regional e.g. hockey

Consultation
           Have received 2,100 questionnaires back from the consultation in the park Some people who came to the consultation didn’t fill out a questionnaire, some were children Only the West Norwood roadshow wasn’t as good as hoped for Can work out how many questionnaires were given out by seeing how many are left This consultation cost more than last year’s Consultation report will have information on where people came from Being analysed externally and can find out where the gaps are Not many people wrote why they didn’t like certain suggestions Consultation material was very good Some people still think it’s about a multiplex Some mistakes were made in the consultation material e.g. not mentioning the inclusion of a 50m pool

Preliminary Results
      Will release gateway results tomorrow at the Park Working Group. Don’t want them to come out before then. The LDA will be issuing a press release General support for all the gateways except Norwood High level of agreement on Sports Centre We asked different questions on the rest of the park this time but there is nothing contradictory coming back: these proposals were based on what people told us last time How will the park be treated at night? o Still up for question currently o Gateways will have increased lighting and will be linked Do we know which sports supported the new sports centre?

Page 6 of 10



o No, that is being done through this group How will we deal with the conflict which will come back? o Need to make sure that the consultation report is written up with a strong section on methodology o CPCA were lobbying outside the consultation - need to discuss at PkWG

Diving
              Twin 5m and 3m boards currently in proposal 10m board is going to Stratford 10m board would cost an extra £2m (due to ceiling height, water depth etc.) Would like 10m board here as don’t want to have to travel to Stratford 10m board in Hamilton where they didn’t have to raise ceiling height – LDA are requested to investigate this Should be 10m boards on both sides of London One view is that if not having 10m board then don’t bother with 3 & 5m boards Others think that 3 & 5m boards are better than nothing Can’t train for 10m by using 7 or 8m boards It will make funding and running the centre more difficult Find it amazing that having new building and not meeting Olympic standards Would support 10m diving if money was no object 10m board would increase building height Temporary structures will be put up throughout London for Olympics

Hockey
   Water based pitches are not the most suitable as not all countries have large supplies of water Need two parallel all-weather (sand dressed) pitches Want sports facilities to be concentrated on south side of axis. Not enough room on north side to have two pitches. English Heritage would want to see park being released with the relocation of the sports centre and wouldn’t be happy with two pitches on north side - but might accept one o Don’t want to go for too much as may not get anything Only 5/6 pitches currently in the area Need more consultation Indoor hockey has gone to NEC as want to be able to seat 5,000 spectators

  

Sports Centre Design Competition
  English Heritage need to give an indication of which way they will go before LDA spend £3-4million on planning applications No-one has ever demolished a grade II listed building before

Page 7 of 10

              

o They don’t want to be seen to be setting a precedent Unclear currently whether they want part of the old building to remain English Heritage said LDA presentation was one of the best that they have had They are keen to be involved LDA are keen to try and move them on though - think they are taking their time to consider it as there is a lot to take in EH want to have a workshop to consider the options Most people support moving the sports centre and don’t want to retain any part of the old one Have presented to 20th Century as well Should find out what Neil Cousins thinks about it Is there a plan in place for what happens if we can’t have a new sports centre? Won’t have a sports facility in the area. Only place London Youth Games can take place OJEU notice early next year Still finalising the mini-brief – will be issued at the end of February The winning design will be based on internal function, functional integration with the park and visual design LDA can’t go to Board until have an indication from EH Note to Board in December that going to design competition in January

Facilities Mix
 Will replicate most of the existing facilities: o 50m pool o learner pool o 250 seats in spectator gallery (note that group would like 400) o indoor athletics track o rock climbing o 7m pole vaulting o indoor cricket o retain athletics stadium, seating for 3,000 o smaller gyms (including dance studio) o larger sports hall (8 court) o retain tennis courts o increasing retail area (to be revenue neutral) o function suite o general storage (need to check there’s enough room for each sport) One of the only places where weightlifting is fully utilised Strength training is vital for other sports too South Bank requirements not included. May need a separate teaching block Need to consider treatment suites Hotel accommodation near station is currently a park cost – this needs changing and brief needs to be worked up Facilities mix looks broadly right at the moment Would like to have South Bank facilities incorporated into building. Don’t want to delay design competition by 6 months though Don’t want things to become a drain on the park, if they don’t need to be

       

Page 8 of 10

      

Schools use – want to get the community involved Fine tuning needed with Norman, Bevan and Richard – talk to LDA about their needs Working session with KPMG before next meeting Athletics might move to Stratford after 2012 Building in consultation was only one possibility Will there be an indoor skating/roller-blading facility? o No but there will be an outdoor one o Possible temporary indoor facility BMX track? o Problem is where to put it in a historic park o One possible place is on top of the reservoir

Business Plan
     Primarily for community usage Will be a regional sports centre and not a national one Stratford will be the national centre Haven’t considered the name yet May have rolling programme of events taking place on the hilltop

Sports Consultation
   Should be representative(s) from the SWG on the competition panel for short-listing o Norman – swimming o Mick - athletics Checks to make sure that building fits all criteria. Need to get judging criteria right Should be a community representative on group for final decision. Should they be from SWG or PWG? Could be one who represents both. Mechanism for doing this needs thinking through & agreement of GLA.

Park Working Group Representatives
    CPCA withdrew from the dialogue in August They had one meeting with LDA LDA will now only communicate through the dialogue process They may come to PWG tomorrow o If they want to rejoin dialogue then they need to sign up to all groundrules o May need to change their reps o Need to offer their members the meeting which we offered them Think that this is the right way forward Would find it hard to have civil relations with them in a meeting They should be able to find another rep Clock is ticking and we need to mover forward Need right statements if we exclude them

    

Page 9 of 10

      

Would be unhappy if they were present tomorrow Have said that we could review their membership but not by tomorrow Need to be clear that they should be representing their members’ views JP, MW, RF and NG not suitable for working group. This isn’t because of their views but is down to their behaviour They need to say why they withdrew and what has changed to make them want to come back in writing LDA have taken into account the possibility of a public inquiry Greens have some concerns but are not as extreme as CPCA

Future Meetings
Would be helpful to have some afternoon meetings. Following dates agreed   Tuesday, 14th February – 9.30 Wednesday, 5th April – 1 (lunch) for 1.30 start

Actions
WHAT Walk round of facilities with RN Fencing contact to TEC Ask London Youth Games to attend SWG Invite cycling rep to next meeting E-mail RF if you want to attend meeting with KSS WHO TW GW RN RF All WHEN

Page 10 of 10


								
To top