Carbohydrate Lecture Guide Name________________________________________________Block____
1. Carbohydrates are the sweet and starchy foods. Examples:
2. The monomer (building block) of carbohydrates is
the _____________________________ which looks like this: b but we draw like this:
3. The chemical formula for a monosaccharide is ___________________________ and carbohydrates contain the
4. The RATIO of the elements is roughly________________________________.
5. Drawing Function Molecules found in Molecules found in
6. Many carbohydrates have a similar suffix, -_____________.
7. Circle the words below that are carbohydrates or mostly carbohydrates.
Mashed potatoes table sugar fructose lactose cellulose corn starch butter oil
Salt (NaCl) glycogen glucose bread peanuts galactose paper
8. Of all of the words circled above, which ones are made up of one or more monosaccharides?
9. Name two monosaccharides from the list above. 9.
10. What is the function of monosaccharides? 10.
11. Starch, paper and wood are made out of repeating chains of _____. 11.
12. What is the function of plant starch and animal glycogen? 12.
13. Plants don’t have skeletons for support and instead use what molecule? 13.
14. All carbs contain the same three elements – what are they? 14.
15. What is the ratio of the elements found in carbs? 15.
16. How do you know NaCl is NOT a carbohydrate? 16.
17. Insects don’t have internal skeletons for support and instead use
exoskeletons made of what molecule? 17.
18. The polysaccharide stored in your muscle and liver that is storing
energy for later use is called _____? 18.
19. Monosaccharides have one main function. What is it? 19.
20. Medium sized polysaccharides have what function? 20.
21. Really large polysaccharides have what function? 21.
Match the picture with the question or statement. Pictures will be used more than once. Write your answers in the
space at the bottom.
23. medium sized polysaccharide
24. large polysaccharide
27. used for energy
28. used for energy storage
29. used to build structures
30. starch or glycogen
31. cellulose or chitin
32. chain of monosaccharides
22.____ 23._____ 24.______ 25.______ 26._____ 27._____
28.______ 29.______ 30._____ 31._____ 32.______