Filing For An Employer Identification Number by MarijanStefanovic


									Filing For An Employer Identification Number The Federal Tax Identification Number is
also known as the Employer Identification Number (EIN). It is a nine digit number
assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to identify tax accounts of employers and
certain other who have no employees. In the past you had to file a Form SS-4 but the
entire process can now be done free online by going to the IRS website. After typing in
(keyword "EIN") you will find the EIN application in an interview style format. It is
important for sole proprietors to know that you may only have one EIN, no matter how
many different businesses you operate. Those that have been assigned an EIN as a
Household Employer must also use that number for their sole proprietor needs as well.
The IRS uses that number to identify taxpayers that are required to file various business
tax returns. Employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, non-profit
associations, trusts, estates of decedents, government agencies, certain individuals, and
other business entities all use EINs. However, the EIN does not replace your personal
Social Security Number and should only be used for business transactions. In some States
Other ways to apply By Telephone - The toll-free EIN number 1-800-829-4933 can be
called between 7 am and 10pm local time. Someone authorized to receive the number
should have the information from Form-SS4 in front of them to readily answer any
questions. The IRS representative will assign you a EIN. By Fax - This process will take
up to four (4) business days and it is suggested that you do not send a fax and call the
toll-free number to avoid a duplicate EIN being assigned. You will still fill out all of the
required information in the Form-SS4. The number to fax to varies by states. The fax
number is available 24/7 and you should include your own information as the IRS will
fax back your EIN. By Mail - Applying by mail will take about four (4) weeks. You will
still be required to download and fill out all the required information for a Form-SS4.
Avoiding Common Mistakes If you wish to elect to be taxed as an S corporation, you
must file Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation (Under Section 1362 of
the Internal Revenue Code). An association, limited liability company (LLC) or other
organization that elects to be taxed as a corporation must file Form 8832, Entity
Classification Election. Remember to always include your SSN, EIN, or ITIN on Line 7b
of Form SS-4. Always use the full legal name you entered on Form SS-4, line 1 and the
EIN given to you, consistently on all business tax returns you file with the IRS. If you
change your address after you receive your EIN, you must use Form 8822, Change of
Address, to notify the IRS of the new address. If you change your business name after
you receive your EIN, write to us at the address where you file your tax return. The
request to change your business name must be signed by an authorized person.
Additionally, partnerships and corporations must include a copy of the Articles of
Amendment that were filed with the state that authorized the name change. If the U.S.
Postal Service doesn't deliver mail to your street address and you have a P.O. Box, show
the P.O. Box number as the entity's mailing address instead of the street address. Source:
Internal Revenue Service Bryan Young started his first business at the age of 12 and
currently runs a freight shipment company. He is also the founder of - an ezine that looks to give advice to and promote
entrepreneurs and independent inventors. Find more at

To top