SIFTED LIKE WHEAT
TEXT: Luke 22:23-34
• 1 Cor. 10:12- “let he that thinks he stands take
heed lest he fall.”
• Eph. 6:14- “stand having loins girt about
• Eph. 3:20,21- God is so good to us.
• All of us must beware lest Satan hits us from
behind like the planes that hit the twin towers
and we like Peter, end up doing things we
never thought was possible for us to do.
• Strife among the apostles over who would be
the greatest- Answer- The servants
• V. 31- Jesus informs Peter that Satan had desired
to have him to sift like wheat (1 Pet. 5:8)
• Christ prayed for Peter that “his faith not fail
and when he was converted he would strengthen
• V. 33- Peter was sure he was ready to go with
Jesus all the way to jail or death-Sin of
• Jesus tells Peter that the rooster would not
crow that day before he would deny Jesus
• Read 54-62- What Peter confidently knew
he would never do- HE DID, then he wept
bitterly about it. – He denied due to fear.
See Rev. 21:8- moral coward.
• Have you ever done what you said you
would never do?
• Lk.24:9-12- Mary Magdalene and Mary the
mother of James tell the apostles “he is risen
and Peter arises and goes to the tomb. It is a
touching scene as he beholds the linens folded
and wonders to himself at what was come to
pass (He overcomes his despair).
• Acts 2 and 10 He overcomes fear and prejudice,
in Acts 4:18-20 he cannot help but speak the
things he has seen and heard. NO denial now!
How Did Peter End Up Doing What
He Thought Himself Incapable Of?
• Jn. 6:68- Lord, to whom shall we go?
• Matt. 16:18- You are the Christ, the Son
• Luke 8:24- He walked on water but began
to sink when looked aside to wind and
• Mk.14:37- He slept in the garden.
• Jn. 21:15-23- Do you love me Peter?
• Jn. 21:20- What shall this man do?
What Peter Teaches Us
• 1 Pet. 2:11,12- He was an apostle of hope and in
1:3 he tells us we are begotten unto a lively hope
to an incorruptible inheritance, undefiled, non-
fading – reserved in heaven for you who are
kept by God’s power
• Peter tells us we will face trials 1:6,7
• Prophets prophesied salvation and grace would
come on them 1:10.
• 1:13- gird up loins, be serious and hope to end.
• As obedient children, he holy, pass time with fear 1:14-
19- the price of our redemption – The Blood of Jesus
planned before world began.
• 1:22- Love with pure heart, 23 begotten by word
• 1 Peter 2- put aside all malice, hypocrisy and desire milk
of word to grow.
• 2:9- holy nation, royal priests, peculiar people called out
of darkness into kingdom of light.
• 2:10- abstain from fleshly lusts. Submit to laws
• 2:20- IF SUFFER FOR DOING RIGHT TAKE IT
• Jesus suffered for us. 2:25- all have gone astray!
Closing Lessons From 1 Peter
• 2 Peter 1:5-10.
• Peter went from the depths to the heights with Christ.
• Conclusion- 2 Peter 1:5-10.
• Learn from Peter that what you think could never happen to
you, can! Peter seemed to live the rest of his days serving the
• What event in his life would he change? He learned valuable
lessons in the valleys of his life that made him able to be who he
was. We need to thank God for valleys. Country song, God
gives us mountains so we can learn to climb.
Satan Seeks to Sift Today
• Our children
• The Church
• There are many saints as well as our Lord who
are wanting all of us to persevere and gain the
victory. The Lord is ready to help you keep from
being sifted like wheat. Once again you have a
chance to obey Him. What will it be?