• State which words refer to properties of the
substances and which refer to properties of
– A sharp, heavy, shiny, stainless steel knife
– A small chunk of black tar
– A beautifully carved wooden chair
• A student announced that she had made a
sample of a new material that had a density
of 0.85g/cc. Can you tell how large a
sample she made? How?
• How could you distinguish between
unlabeled cartons of milk and cream?
• How could you determine the density of
• A student has several different size samples
of substances C & D. She measures masses
and volumes and plots them. Which
substance has a greater density, how do you