The Meaning of Agriculture and
What is agriscience?
• The use of science in producing food,
fiber, and shelter.
Emphasis is on growing plants, raising
animals, and getting products to the
What are the two areas of
– The knowledge used in producing plants and
– Provides information for additional study
– We gain an understanding of how a process
• What is technology?
– The practical use of science
• What is meant by appropriate technology?
– That which best fits the needs of people
• How does appropriate technology vary from
developed countries to developing countries?
– In developing countries, the latest technology is
often too advanced. The people are not ready for
What potential problems or challenges
are presented when appropriate
technology is not used?
• The technology is not utilized
• In developing countries, can cause an
economic impact due to a large increase in
• Misinformation or misunderstanding
• Fear of health, job security
Advanced technology should be integrated
into society and developing countries
• Use magazines to find 3 articles about
agriscience and/or technology.
• Write a 1 paragraph summary of each
article. (article title, magazine name)
• Choose one article to discuss with the class.