Why Sell Popcorn:
Would you like to:
Have a cohesive unit of adults & Scouts?
Teach the Scouts & hence the Unit the principles of Free Enterprise &
“paying their own way?”
Have all Scout activities paid without having to dip into your wallet?
Want to eliminate the “hassle” of collecting dues every meeting?
Love to buy lots of great equipment without breaking your budget?
Want to buy your charter organization nice stuff each year as a “thank
• Strengthen Unit Programs to effectively deliver the Scouting program
with more trained leaders, improved programs, greater family
participation, and increased camp attendance, which results in greater
• The Ideal Year of Scouting will help you achieve your Unit’s dreams in
Scouting and get more parents involved in the program.
• Teach Scouts the life lesson of earning their own way.
SCOUTS PAY THEIR OWN WAY: Set a goal + achieve = confidence.
Popcorn also provides for these services in the Winnebago Council:
• Camp Ingawanis
• Winnebago Scout Reservation
• Professionals and Support Staff
• Service to Scouting Units
• Fall recruiting support materials (flyers, posters, etc.)
• Winnebago Scout Service Center and Mason City Scout Shop
Why sell Magazines?
• Offers a non-food alternative for consumers
• No additional bulky products for Scouts to deliver
• Magazine vouchers can be easily given as gifts
• Units that elect not to sell popcorn products can still sell magazine gift vouchers
• 83% of all U.S. adults read magazines
Units may choose to add the sale of magazine gift vouchers to their Program
Promotion Unit Fundraiser. The voucher works like a gift card and is good for 54 of
the most popular magazine titles including “Time”, “Sports Illustrated”, “Golf”,
“Nickelodeon”, and “People”.
Vouchers are sold in denominations of $10 or $20. Magazine gift voucher sales can
also be used to qualify for Scout prizes.
2009 PRODUCT LINE-UP
Chocolate Lovers 5 Way tin 16 oz Carmel corn and pecans in
16 oz Popcorn and cranberries in
$50.00 white fudge
16 oz caramel corn and toffee
peanuts in fudge
12 oz chocolate covered peanuts
8 oz chocolate covered pretzels
Cheese Lovers 3 Way tin 5oz Southwest cheddar chipotle
$35.00 5 oz Country Smokehouse
5 oz White cheddar with black
4 piece Gift Set 10 oz Mud puddles
$30.00 3.5 oz Cheese corn
10 oz Carmel corn
10 oz White Gold
30 Pack Double Butter 30-3 oz bags with twice the butter
15 Pack Kettle Corn Great combination of sweet, yet
$20.00 salty popcorn
15-3 oz bags
$20 Magazine Vouchers
Mud Puddles Encounter the unforgettable taste
$18.00 of caramel corn and peanuts
coated in creamy fudge. Yummy!
White Gold Creamy medley of popcorn,
$18.00 almonds and luscious white
Caramel Peanut Good old-fashion caramel corn
$18.00 and honey roasted peanuts
Cheese Corn Savor the flavor of tangy
$18.00 Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese
15 Pack Butter Light All the butter flavor with only
(microwave) half the fat and 0 grams of trans.
15 Pack butter (microwave) Rich butter flavored microwave
$10 Magazine voucher
Classic Caramel 10 oz of Classic Caramel corn
Yellow popping corn- 3 pounds of America’s healthiest
un-popped snack food. Corn pops up light
UNIT COMMISSIONS & INCENTIVES
• If units choose to do commission/prizes, leaders will be able to order prizes
on the General Commercial Corporation (GCC) website, instructions on how
to order are included.
• Prizes motivate and give the sellers, our Scouts, a sales level to strive towards.
• Prize orders need to be ordered either online or submitted to the Council
Service Center no later than December 11, 2009. We will not place prize
orders after this date.
Youth Incentive Bonuses
FILL IT UP PROGRAM: Sell 25 containers of popcorn/magazine vouchers and receive a
special “Fill it up” patch.
FILL IT UP TWICE PROGRAM: Sell 50 containers of popcorn/magazine vouchers and
have your name put in a drawing for a NINTENDO Wii bonus prize. SIX Nintendo Wii’s
will be given out. Limit one per Scout. Must turn in or fax order forms by
Friday, 4:00 p.m. starting SEPTEMBER 25th to have your name put in
that weeks drawing.
Any Scout selling $1000 will get to attend a Waterloo Black Hawk Hockey Game on a
special scout night. After the game, Scouts will be invited to join the Black Hawks for a
pizza party. A Black Hawk t-shirt will be provided to the scouts with an opportunity for
players to autograph the shirt. One family member is allowed to attend the pizza party
with their Scout (space is limited.)
Any Scout selling $5000 will receive a limo ride to and back from Dubuque indoor Water
Park, Hotel accommodations (two rooms with 2 double beds) and a pizza party for the
selling scout and 7 other people.
3% Unit bonus MUST do all FOUR to qualify.
1. Unit attends a Popcorn Kick off in August OR has a District Popcorn Kernel
or District Executive provides individual popcorn kick off in their area.
2. Unit does budget plan to decide how to spend popcorn commission and turns
plan into District Popcorn Chair and shares plan with parents.
3. Unit does their own kick-off/Scout sales training, providing date, time and
location to the District Popcorn chair.
4. Unit sets individual boy goals, unit goal and submits to district popcorn chair.
The unit goal will be published in the November Scouter.
2% Unit bonus for the following:
1. Unit participates in Family Friends of Scouting campaign by having an FOS
presentation at a well attended unit meeting
2. Unit camps 70% of Scouts at 2009 Winnebago Council Camps. Membership
taken from February 27th, 2009.
BLITZ NIGHT BONUS
If a Unit does a Blitz night and does door to door sales they will receive an extra $2.00
per Scout for a pizza party. Unit will be reimbursed $2.00 per participating Scout. Unit
MUST report date and results of blitz night to their district popcorn chair.
UNIT LEADER LAPTOP DRAWING
1. Must participate in a council popcorn kick-off
2. Unit must do a budget plan to decide how to spend popcorn commission and turns
plan into District popcorn chair and shares plan with parents.
3. Unit does their own popcorn kick-off, providing date, time and location to the
District popcorn chair.
4. Unit has popcorn sales paid in full by December 4, 2009.
5. Unit has an increase in popcorn/magazine sales of 15% from 2008.
6. Unit has popcorn/magazine order placed by November 3, 2009
Place leaders name in a drawing at the end of the popcorn sale for 2 laptop computers
(Pack/Troop masters included.) All 6 requirements MUST be fulfilled and necessary
paperwork must be turned in.
BASE UNIT COMMISSIONS
CASH AND PRIZE COMMISSION 25%
CASH ONLY COMMISSION 27%
JAMBOREE COMMISSION 60%
**This goal will be published in the November Scouter
POPCORN PICK-UP LOCATIONS
Serta Mattress Co.
500 S. 17th St.
Clear Lake, IA 50428
Bay Valley Foods
450 Bailey Ave.
New Hampton, IA 50659
309 Mill Ave.
Elgin, IA 52141
American Bottling Company
806 Poleline Rd.
Decorah, IA 52101
927 Black Hawk Rd
Waterloo, IA 50701
Pick up times for Waterloo Warehousing
Friday, September 18th: 1p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 19th: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Friday, November 13th: 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, November 14th: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Other dates by APPOINTMENT ONLY.
POPCORN RETURN POLICY
• November 3rd, 2009 is the ONLY day
that popcorn may be returned.
• Containers must be in FULL cases
(Cases do not need to be sealed) and can
not be a mix of products.
• Product may not be damaged in ANY
• Please return product to the Council
Service center by 5:30 p.m. on
Please do not swap product with other units.
If your unit does do this, the individual
UNITS are responsible for making sure all
products are paid for.
The council will NOT be RESPONSIBLE
for keeping track of product that is
traded with other units.
PRODUCT SALE 2009
Tuesday, August 18th Popcorn Kick off WSR dining hall
Thursday, August 20 Popcorn Kick off Nazareth Lutheran Church-Cedar Falls
Thursday, September 10 Show and Sell orders DUE to council no later
than 5:30 P.M. Late Show and Sell orders WILL
NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER September 10th at
ORDER IN CASES ONLY (8 containers per case
except Chocolate, Cheese lovers, Gift sets and 30
Packs, they are 1 container per case)
Saturday, September 19 POPCORN SALES START
Saturday, September 19 Popcorn pick up for SHOW and SELL ORDERS
Tuesday, November 3 Final TAKE ORDERS due to council
This is the ONLY day that any
popcorn can be returned. Must be in
full cases and can not be a mix of
product or damaged in ANY way.
Saturday, November 14 Final popcorn pick up
Friday, December 4 MONIES DUE TO COUNCIL
Friday, December 11 LAST DAY TO PLACE PRIZE ORDER
We will not place prize orders after this date.
On time payment is expected. Payments not
received by December 4, 2009, will result in a
two percent penalty to your unit’s commission.
After the initial penalty, another two percent
penalty will be accessed on the 15th and 30th of
every month following, until the balance is paid
Family Fact Sheet
Remember these items for a Successful Popcorn Sale!
1) List 5 things in your Scouting Program to be funded Winnebago
Council’s Fall Product Sale:
2) Write in the Scout Popcorn Sales Goal:
Scout Popcorn Sales Goal $________
3) Have your son look at the Prize Program and decide what prize
level he wants to shoot for. Pick a Prize level that exceeds his
Scout Popcorn Sales Goal listed in #2
4) Sell in the neighborhoods using Take Order or Show & Deliver
Practice role-playing with your son on the sales script he will
use at the door. For example:
“Hi, my name is John Smith and I’m selling popcorn to go to
Scout camp this year, how much would you like to order?
5) List the Key Dates for this year’s Popcorn Sale:
a. Blitz Day(s) _________
b. Order Turn in Date _________
c. Popcorn Pickup _________
d. Money Collection _________
Unit Popcorn Kickoff
Follow these steps for a Successful Kickoff!
1) Preview this year’s Scouting Program and explain to the
families how the entire program can be funded.
Hand out the Parent Popcorn Fact Sheet to each family.
2) Communicate the Per Scout Popcorn Sale Goal, as well as the unit
goal. Have the boys write their individual goals on the Take Order
Explain the sales methods to be used for reaching the sales goals,
and have the families write in the dates for the blitz days
3) Have actual prizes on display to show the Scouts what they can
earn for selling popcorn.
Review the Winnebago Council Prize Program.
Award prizes to the:
i. Top Seller
ii. Top Selling Den
iii. Scouts who reach their Popcorn Sales Goal
4) Do a skit or fun activity to get the boys trained and excited
about the sale, and to teach them about Safety when selling.