Docstoc

Minutes

Document Sample
Minutes Powered By Docstoc
					GRWIB Board Meeting May 7, 2009
Members Attending: John Sansky, GRWIB Chair, Private Industry Ed Braunig, GRWIB Co Chair Private Industry Charlie Rebick – Private Industry Trudy Doyle – DOE Sup. Of Schools Donna Gapas - HCDOSS Debbie Kull – Employment Services Joseph Kunzmann - SCBSS Sharon McGreevy - DVR Peter Palmer – Freeholder SC Edward Bradbury – Viking Pest Casey Crabill - RVCC John Maddocks - SCBP Thomas Kinst – Life Cell Corp. Glori Bine-Callagy – Alternatives, Inc. Guests: Traci Rosen – Middle Earth Angelo Corradino – Business Resource Center Representative Staff: Catherine Gibson – One-Stop Case Worker Jan Goodman – GRWIB Janet Perantoni – Designee for Casey Crabill, RVCC Michele Horst Diane Seavers – One-Stop Manager Call to Order The Greater Raritan Workforce Investment Board (GRWIB) meeting was called to order by Chairperson John Sansky. John introduced Edward Bradbury from Viking Pest Control, a new GRWIB Board Member. Minutes John Sansky called for a motion to approve the minutes. Two motions were made by Charles Rebick and Ed Braunig. Committee Reports Youth Investment Council John Sansky called on Ed Braunig Chair of the YIC to provide a committee update. Ed discussed the strategic planning session and the timeline which will be created for Phase II of the project with the issuance of the new RFP. John Sansky called for a motion to approve and adopt the revised plan. Both Charlie Rebick and Ed Braunig motioned for approval of the minutes. John Sansky discussed that the YIC Plan reflects strong representation and

D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\073ab3aa-61a0-44da-97be-7561d588296c.doc

1

GRWIB Board Meeting May 7, 2009
collaboration from both Somerset and Hunterdon counties human service departments, departments of Education and community based organizations. The committee looked at available resources and the gaps. John mentioned that this is a five year plan to be reviewed annually. Literacy Council Jan Goodman provided a report on the Literacy Council. As with the formation of the YIC the Literacy Council followed the same protocol by inviting a core group of members to the table who are proactively involved in Literacy. Two of these partners are current literacy providers; ESC, the Jointure and the Hunterdon County Library System. The plan was in need of updating as the last plan was completed in 2002. This initial core group built a full membership list which was submitted to the Executive Committee and approved the list. The revised plan is presently a work in progress with two pieces of documentation. The larger plan includes programs that are funded through our WIA grant as well as independent providers such as Literacy Volunteers of America. The Literacy Council has a mandate from the Department of Labor to provide a plan update which is ten pages and follows specific questions. A strategic planning session is being scheduled in June and these questions will be used to formulate the information required for the 10 page document. This meeting will be opened up to the entire list. An exciting agenda is planned for the May 20th, Literacy Council meeting. Mike Herrera, Vice Principle from SCVTS has implemented a new literacy program that is being piloted in his classrooms. He will be presenting this program. Julie West-Johnson from RVCC will also be presenting us about customized literacy training projects for corporate industry. Perry Tchorni announced that the GRWIB website has been totally revamped and is being hosted by Somerset County. He asked the Board to review a comprehensive marketing brochure which Jan Goodman put together which explains the structure of the WIB, its’ committees and relationship to the One-Stop. It provides a background of where we are and where we are going. It also references descriptions on the committees. John Sansky opened the floor to questions. Sharon McGreevy introduced DVRs services and her challenges with space in Hunterdon County. Currently her counselors are going to the Center for Educational Advancement to see customers. There are no phones and no access to the internet. The DVR Case Management system cannot be accessed from this location making it very difficult for the counselors. Most of what is done with clients is computer dependent. Clients are shown how to conduct job searches on the internet, how to use email, how to write resumes etc. All of this has been compromised by the loss of space. John Sansky commented that his vision with the transition is a higher level of cooperative efforts between the two counties. Through these efforts the GRWIB should be able to resolve DVR’s issue. Perry Tchorni stated that Hunterdon County will be providing us with some office space later this summer. He thanked Cindy Yard, Donna Gapas and Pam Pontrelli who have been assisting with these efforts.

MOUs

D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\073ab3aa-61a0-44da-97be-7561d588296c.doc

2

GRWIB Board Meeting May 7, 2009
Perry Tchorni discussed 3 memorandums of understanding that have to be totally reworked. They should come before the Board prior to June meeting. These 3 MOU’s must be approved by May 1st by the Freeholders for the One-Stop and the final report on the transition. Staffing An organizational plan was put together which included the joint position of GRWIB and OneStop Director. John Sansky asked the Board to read the bio of the recommended candidate, for the Director’s position Michele Horst .He also mentioned that there will be a person in this organizational structure that runs the One-Stop. The WIB/One-Stop position will oversee the day to day operations of the One-Stop as of July 1, 2009. Under the new plan the One-Stop personnel will become Somerset County employees. Further discussion focused on concern for combining the One-Stop/GRWIB Director position. Perry Tchorni stated that by combining this position we are able to fund more direct service positions in the One-Stop which is desperately needed. Debbie Katz and John Maddocks motioned for approval of the Director’s position. Name Change Debbie Kull suggested changing the name of the Greater Raritan WIB during the transition. Janet Perantoni agreed. The counties that we cover are difficult to detect from our name. Every other county goes by name with the exception of ours. Perry suggested providing cost estimates for a name change to be presented at the May 7th meeting. John Maddocks suggested that a name change could affect the metatags on our search criteria for the web and affect the number of people accessing our site. John Sansky closed this discussion by stating that research would be conducted prior to making a name change. Minutes The Board discussed whether or not to create a policy to put the meeting minutes on the GRWIB website. In addition Jan Goodman asked the Board how they would like to receive the minutes. Perry Tchorni suggested that only the minutes from the general GRWIB Board meetings be posted on the website. John Stephenson asked that the drafts from all of the committee meetings be sent to the Board so that they have current information. He further stated that information from the committees build on each other and it would be helpful to know the broad spectrum. A recommendation was made to post the meeting agendas with a draft of the minutes and propose approval at the appropriate time. Debbie Katz stated that she is opposed to putting minutes up on the GRWIB website. John Sansky recommended drafting a policy at the Executive Committee meeting regarding the minutes. Jan Goodman offered to send approved minutes from YIC, and Literacy committees to the Executive Board. Joe Kunzmann stated that satisfies everyone’s interest in seeing what is going on and to be up to date on committee business and avoids publishing information on the website that isn’t warranted. Consensus was reached to post only the minutes from the regular board meetings after they are improved for the website.

Approvals

D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\073ab3aa-61a0-44da-97be-7561d588296c.doc

3

GRWIB Board Meeting May 7, 2009
Perry Tchorni stated that he will need the Board’s endorsement on several items. We received notice from the State that we will be receiving $746,000 of Stimulus dollars to be dispersed into 3 categories: adult, youth and dislocated workers. A period of 18 months will be allotted to spend this money. Nearly 50% of that money must be allocated by June of this year to get as much of the money on the street as possible. Prior to this the One-Stop ran out of training dollars for ITA’s which prevented unemployed workers to get training grants. Once this money is put out more money can be put towards training unemployed adult workers and dislocated workers. The state is also trying to get all of the WIBs in NJ to contribute a portion of their Stimulus funding to a Block Training Grant. They would use these monies to contract with community colleges and votechs which in turn would provide trainings at a reduced cost. There appears to be some resistance on the part of the WIB Directors and their staff. At this point it is unknown whether the community colleges will be offering the same programs. The Department of Labor has established 3 regions within New Jersey. It was recommended that the 3 regions have a meeting with the Community Colleges. One meeting has been set for April 2nd and will be hosted by the Monmouth County One-Stop. RVCC has been asked to attend to make sure everyone is on board so we can make a sound decision regarding allocating dollars if we chose to go with the Block Training Grant. One advantage with block training is that we may be able to increase the number of clients that we serve. There is a special youth RFP being funded by Stimulus dollars that will require endorsement in order to move forward. Greater Raritan not been able to fund a summer youth program for some time. One of the main components of the Stimulus money is to put $132,000 for a summer youth program on the street. This money must be obligated by the end of August. Pat Lake discussed the Youth RFP. The RFP will be posted on the Somerset County website. Guidelines are contained in the document on how to develop a program. There are extensive pages on federal regulations. There is a technical assistance meeting at 27 Warren Street at 1:00 pm on April 1st. Pat Lake encouraged board members to spread the word to any eligible agencies that could fulfill the requirements for the summer youth program. Board endorsement is required to move forward with RFP. The money has to be accounted for separate from any other grant money. Over the last 8 years we have not been allowed to support stand alone summer programming. Motions were passed for GRWIB endorsement of the RFP. Correspondence Perry Tchorni presented a request from GSETA to have all of the WIB’s endorse a letter to Governor Corzine. The July 1, 2009 proposed budget eliminates all funding that would go to HSAC’s. This would result in the county losing a full-time position. There is an HSAC in every county which is a mandated partner of the WIB. There is concern that certain planning efforts and the leveraging of program dollars will be dramatically affected by this decision. GSETA recommends that every WIB send out a letter to the Governor opposing this decision and to restore the money so that the HSAC’s can be maintained. Casey Crabill stated that she is not willing to endorse a letter unless she knows where the restoration of funding would come from. There have been cuts for adult basic education and further reductions at RVCC. If they would have to cut another area to restore the HSAC she would not be in favor of approving such a letter unless the letter states that the program would be restored through dollars from tax revenue. John Stephenson as Chair of the HSAC is in the process of drafting the letter. John Stephenson explained that this decision did not come from the Governor directly but from the

D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\073ab3aa-61a0-44da-97be-7561d588296c.doc

4

GRWIB Board Meeting May 7, 2009
Commissioner of the Department of Children and Families. He further clarified that our letter will focus on what these dollars were historically intended for and that the new Commissioner was not aware of this arrangement. Our letter will not suggest replenishing funding from other areas as these dollars were never intended for DFYS they started in human services and were then transferred. The overall effect on our two counties would mean that there would not be a resource to do the planning and this job would have to be absorbed by someone else. Donna Gapas stated that in Hunterdon County we’re at our saturation point. The funding comes from the Division of Families but the money should go back to where it originated in human services. John Sansky asked the board to vote on drafting a letter of support to give back the HSAC funding to Human Services and make it a mandate to fund this position. There was a unanimous vote to have this letter composed. Perry Tchorni will follow up with Michele Horst concerning this letter. Ideas for Next Board Meeting Casey Crabill suggested that the vendors who had applied for the Stimulus Youth Dollars come to the next board meeting to present their programs. It was also suggested that once the planning is completed for the Stimulus monies future meetings should be planned with guest speakers and educational components for the Board and the committees. John Sansky thanked all of the One-Stop Staff for their efforts in continuing to work at full capacity and providing good service to the clients. Adjournment There being no further business to discuss the GRWIB Board meeting was adjourned at 4:30pm. Next Meetings The next meeting dates of the WIB have been scheduled for: DATE TIME LOCATION

September 10, 2009

3:00-5:30pm

Raritan Valley Community College Atrium Room, Lower Level Raritan Valley Community College Atrium Room Lower Level

December 10, 2009

3:00-5:30pm

D:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\073ab3aa-61a0-44da-97be-7561d588296c.doc

5


				
DOCUMENT INFO