Exec 191008

Document Sample
Exec 191008 Powered By Docstoc
					Exec 26/10/08 Contents Attendance................................................................................................................................. 1 Agenda ...................................................................................................................................... 1 Previous Meeting’s Minutes ....................................................................................................... 1 Additions to Reports .................................................................................................................. 1 Agenda Items............................................................................................................................. 5 1. J.C.R meeting attendance ............................................................................................ 5 2. Conference Room Chairs ............................................................................................. 6 3. IT Rep Issues................................................................................................................ 6 4. Formal Wine Policy Document ..................................................................................... 6 5. Refounders Computer Room........................................................................................ 6 6. Formal Ticketing System .............................................................................................. 7 Any Other Business ................................................................................................................... 8

Attendance
Present: Sean Collins, Matt Kane, Hannah Cutting, Lawrence White, Heather Dixon, Rob Friswell, Paul Harwood, Alison Monks, Tom Smith, Tom Fletcher Apologies: Alan Bowman Not Present: Jill Chapman SC: welcome to Alison

Agenda
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. J.C.R meeting Attendance Conference Room Chairs IT Rep issues Formal Wine Policy Document Refounders Computer Room Formal Ticket sales – sale system

Previous Meeting’s Minutes
Matters Arrising: MK: misleading statement in the minutes. Glover said that best bar none is not only a Durham scheme, that is false it is a national scheme run at a local level. TS: I will amend the minutes SC: I did not have time to get in in contact with the webmasters will get them for next week

Minutes passed

Additions to Reports
MK

MK: I did not submit a report, I am a failure. I went to council. *Mr Foulser interjects to return keys.* MK: we continued to work on the societies funding policy. We are writing a letter to NUS to deal with the cap on tuition fees. This will allow us to have some more meeting to proceed with these. Sean and I got bladdered on Wednesday at the Freshers ball. Can the junior D.S.U rep go into the next J.C.R meeting? PH: it will be done anyway MK: we need this as we are down with voting numbers at the moment PH: you can co-opt people until the next meeting MK: I would rather stick with the people I have got as it takes a long time to explain the current situation. John Ashworth flatly refused to let me look at the alumni list. He will not give alumni lists to any J.C.R Questions: SC: you said you went to council. Is it every week? MK: no, it is whenever it gets called. HC HC: I did not submit a report. I have no spare time. I now work at box clothing. The ticket system is still not working. We need to review this. I am getting 50 e-mails a day at the moment with excuses like I am going to a birthday party. The +1 system may well work but I could use a list of the fixtures that are on. I love the birthday messages to Cuth's. Some of them are confusing. *general discussion of cards* Questions: None HD: Nothing to add Questions: None LW: LW: I have keys to the green box now. It makes me feel slightly more important Questions: PH: did you get my form LW: yes, although you didn’t staple it SC: speaking of staplers – is there a stapler in the exec office

*TS despairs* RF Nothing to add Questions None MG MG: I did not submit a report – apologies. We need to have BMC on Friday. LW would like to discuss transfers to the J.C.R so I need to know when you are free. LW: Friday is not good for me TS: could you skive what you skived last week LW: perhaps. Will e-mail when I know. MG: it will be at 10ish MG: sandwiches should arrive tomorrow SC: did you get the onion baji one MG: no. the Bacardi promotion went well. Did you all get t-shirts ALL: shouts of yes & no. TF lost his Questions MG: why does my leg hurt and what the hell happened last night!? SC: don’t answer that! AM AM: I have only been in the role for an hour. Postgrads are here. I saw one in the bar. He was reading a book TS TS: nothing to add Questions: MK: is stash still up the creek TS: yes – I am seeking legal advice tomorrow MG: are our exec shirts going back SC: yes AM: do I get one SC: yes

AM: do I get my 30 quid free stash TS: considering the company has gone into liquidation – I think not SC: we may start to use phoenix they are potentially moving to online TS: please send me any ideas SC: online is very important HD: are you going to let the students know that Armstrong has gone down TS: will be in newsletter tonight TF: Nothing to add to late e-mail report Questions MG: are any Freshers coming TF: no as it is the livers out formal. There are a few spair that we could use to entice Freshers. HC: Alan has some MILPS that want to come. TF: I ended up in crossgate moor last night. Was not good. SC: what did you sell tickets at TF: £7.50 SC SC: I did not send a report, sorry. This week has flown byt. I had a 6 hour meeting on Monday with the other presidents to discuss the charities act and the J.C.R constitutions. I attended heads of house on the same matter on Tuesday. It came to light that one thing John Ashworth suggested is that he wants to make a change to the upper and Lower standing orders. He wanted a standardised set of upper standing orders. This is totally unnecessary. I had a meeting on Monday with the senior staff about Freshers week review. There were a few things that came up. There was a breakdown of communiation with regard to what the freps have to do. I am going to ask him to write a mini handbook regarding the roles of a frweshers rep. Registration was the main offeder. Apparentky there was only one person there but I know for a fact that that is false. MG: me too. The bar was keft in a state that I had to clear up. I ejoyed watching it on CCTV though HC: that’s awesome – I could watch that all day *HC’s voyeurism is noted* SC: the turnout to the J.C.R meeting on Thursday was rather shocking. Not enough people ran for elections. PH: technically you are no pantomime rep SC: technically the exec have to do it! Luckily, we can co-opt someone!

*various calls for various people* SC: I will look into it HC: I will do so as well SC: I ran Viking this week. They received our cheque, cashed our cheque and decided that our order was cancelled. I am not sure why. I called them and they sent us our chairs. There are 15 that need building for the computer room. Who is around to help *deathly silence* SC: The Freshers photo has arrived. It is in reception. We need to buy a framed one to stick on the wall this year, There is a lot more options frame wise this year. The forms will be distributed from and returned to receptipon. Once it is set up it will go in the newsletter, Wednesday is likely. Please spread the word. Formals – I imagine I will hear back from them tomorrow morning. This has been sent round in a list. This list has gone to senior management. Yesterday was good fun although not very many people came along. If it wasn’t so last minute, more people would have come. The Bacardi promotion went down very well. Questions: JC: poor attendance at the J.C.R meeting – do you think that it might have something to do with the lack of proctors. They used to drag the houses down. SC: the fact that it was moved around a lot also didn’t help SC: the proctor point is true though. Do you think we should try a harder approach? “If you don’t come things will go bad” MG: well put TF: J.C.R meetings used to be well attended. A few years ago, communication was less good. No internet e.t.c. The J.C.R meetings were the only way for people to get involved and communicate. This has contributed to a lack of attendance. SC: I don’t think this is the main issue. We have the worst turnout out of every college. We need to do something about this. MG: it was the first meeting, I don’t think we should be so appoolyptic.

Agenda Items
1. J.C.R meeting attendance JC: we need to get the posters up strait away. MK: advertisements in advance of 4 days also needs to happen. Who’s job is it to advertise PH: it is my job. Sean calls the meeting and paul advertises JC: I think the Freshers need to be made more aware of what a J.C.R meeting actually is. SC: we have already advertised this. I went into the handbook and a lot of people have read it. People should know what it is. The issue now is marketing MK: we really need to advertise it sooner

SC: shiner bigger more posters RF: advertise with flyers on the tables in the dining hall. Flyers Posters Earler Advertising No Conflicting events Banners Bigger, better advertisements T Shirts perhaps SC: paul, can you have a look into this for next week. I will check events. TF: have a word with Joe to design the posters. He is very good at graphic design. SC: for the next meeting so it is done sooner rather than later. 2. Conference Room Chairs RF: Can I have one for the library or do I need to buy one SC: you need to buy one unfortunately 3. IT Rep Issues RF: Who is responsible for ordering paper, ink, getting the photocopier working e.t.c as we don’t have an IT rep SC: it falls to us. Does it all come from its? RF: yes. I am doing it at the moment but should there be an official system SC: for the time being, we will have to do it / co-opt a webmaster to do it. PH: they can only serve for a month under this system 4. Formal Wine Policy Document TS: How is the policy document coming along? Was it used with formal ticket sales today? Has it been sent to senior management? If so, how was it received? Done, No, Yes, Don’t Know 5. Refounders Computer Room TS: Several Issues: dead mice, lack of mice and poor desks. Perhaps move computer desks from end of conference room as they are never used RF: there are 30 mice in the exec office TS: I will take some down AM: what happened with knocking it through into the cupboard SC: it has been requested with estates and buildings. We are still waiting on a quote PH: can we ask again

SC: yes *general discussion of estates and buildings uselessness* SC: we will move the desks.

6. Formal Ticketing System HC: I am not happy with the way it was this week. The captains have a lot more responsibilities on them. HD: it is practises as well. HC: there were complications with team Durham as well as people going away for the weekend etc HC: I think I should have a list of fixtures and bring the + 1 system back. 64 people still need to pay TF: I think fundamentally, that this system is fairer. It was discussed whether a cap on sports / societies people were a good idea. HC: Im not sure I agee with that MG: im am very wary of going for the half way house bodge jobs TS: positive discrimination to sport. Online system? We have our head in the sand. Perhaps? It may well make hannahs jobs easier. MG: I think there are also problems with this. What about no internet access LW: fewer people will suffer from this problem. SC: I will look into this at pres. com TF: with the previous +1 system, a lot of people got screwed over SC: this current system is also flawed, it is a logistical nightmare for Hannah, it positively discriminates towards sport. Would it be worth having a +! System where the +1’s have to have e-mailed in the past TF: all this is going to do is reduce the number of people in the queue. HC: I cannot deal with the extra e-mails that this is generating. I have two jobs and a degree to do, PH: could we not just move it to the evening. It would cut out the sports problem AM: the + 1 system with people e-mailing you, they can see that they can e-mail you and get a ticket a lot easier. MG: I would make sure that If I wanted a ticket I would get down and get one. TS: I agree JC: if you wanted to buy a ticket for a concert they you could not e-mail the organisers and get a ticket if you have another commitment SC: but you can get more than one

TF: in a small community such as this, you get a bit of emotional blackmail. I don’t think that the old system is necessarily fair unless we get stricter HC: I intend to. MK: every problem happens during the day. Evening will sold this TF: the dining hall is instrumental for a queue. HC: which evening should we use? AM: there is still a problem of milps HC: this is not a problem – their tickets will always be put aside AM: 9:00pm is too late. JC: Wednesday is a good day as people have the least on. SC: we will try this for the presidents formal SC: shall we do one ticket per person. If you cant make it, send someone else. If you are outside college, they still need to come along. Outside uni – send and e-mail but have to come down to pay TS: this is political suicide – it will be horrendously unpopular. We have to make sure we are explaining why we are doing it. AM: if they have a view on it, can they e-mail us with an alternate solution. We could have a vote with which system they want to go for. TF: a large number of people have made complaints about what we are doing. We need to be representative. JC: we should try the new system, explain why and ask for feedback. We should let them know that an online alternative is being looked at. People cannot complain if we do this. HC: 8:00pm in the dining hall, no + 1’s. With the above in the newsletter. MILPS need to let me know before tickets go on sale.

Any Other Business
PH: I was talking to Lawrence about the fact that we now pay for the buffet in the bar at formals. I don’t think this is a workable system SC: I am going to talk about this to him tomorrow.


				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:10
posted:11/11/2009
language:English
pages:8