-Founder of Apple Inc.
• Born February 24,1955 in San Francisco, CA to
Joanne Carole Schieble and Abdulfattah John
• Adopted at birth by Paul and Clara Jobs to live in
Santa Clara, California
• Named- Steven Paul Jobs.
• Grew up in the Silicon Valley.
• Graduated high school in Cupertino, California
• Attended Hewlett-Packard lectures after school.
• Worked with Steve Wozniak in summer.
• Attended Reed College after high school.
• Dropped out after one semester.
• Continued auditing courses in
classes he liked.
• Did part-time job at Atari to finance
trip to India for studying Eastern
Culture & Religion.
START OF APPLE
• Raised capital to form Apple company.
• On April 1, 1976, Apple Computer Co. was
• Their first PC - The Apple I, sold for $666.66
• The Apple II, released next year, was huge
• In May of 1980, released Apple III.
• Created PC-Lisa with GUI.
• From 1977 to 1983, Apple continued
to grow exponentially.
Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak
THE APPLE SERIES
• Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak released the
Apple I to start the PC revolution.
• The Apple Series includes: I, II, III & Lisa.
THE TAKE OFF
• In 1981, IBM entered PC market & in 2 years
began to outsell Apple.
• Apples sales and shine began to wear off
• Jobs needed a new computer that could
compete with IBM PC
• January 24, 1984 Jobs introduced Macintosh
– 128K of expandable memory
– Pointing device: mouse
FROM APPLE TO NEXT
• In 1985, Jobs helped Bill Gates with Macintosh to
create Windows, which could run on IBM PC’s.
• CEO John Sculley forced Jobs
• Jobs then founded NeXT.
• Created NeXT Cube PC which
didnt sell due to:
– Missing software.
• Changed focus from hardware to software.
• Pixar- An animation Studio bought by Steve in 1986.
• Three films contract from Disney.
• Created first computer animated film.
• Toy story was an instant hit in 1995
• Sold to Disney for stock
worth about $7.4 billion
Steve Jobs with Disney’s CEO
STEVE JOBS RETURNS
• Apple simultaneously did very poorly in the early
& mid 90’s due to:
– Poor leadership
– Stagnating computer design.
• In 1996, Apple bought NeXT & with it came
• In 2000, Jobs became CEO of Apple
• Created iMac – 1st PC marketed for its looks
Original Mac 1984
RETURN TO PROFITABILITY &
• Jobs continued innovating with
– Music Store
– High end computers
• Under Jobs’ watch, Apple grew
fueled by his imagination &
quest for perfection
iPOD & iTUNES
• Name changed from
Inc. to Apple Inc.
• iPods sold since year
2001 – 250 mn.
• Phones were broken in Job’s eyes until the
• The iPhone enhanced the phone industry.
• It is very technologically advanced.
• Breakthrough technology
• Combination of
• National Medal of Technology from President Ronald
Reagan in 1985 with Steve Wozniak (the first people
to ever receive the honor).
• Jefferson Award for Public Service in the category
"Greatest Public Service by an Individual 35 Years or
Under" in 1987.
• Stanford Commencement Speaker in 2005
• Named the most powerful person in business by
Fortune Magazine on November 27, 2007.
• Inducted into the California Hall of Fame by
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on
December 5, 2007.
ACCORDING TO OTHERS
• Never a powerhouse in terms of
• Great innovator and creative.
• Small percentage of P.C market.
• Positive outlook on comments.
• Jobs as Genius.
• Jobs as Creep.
• Steve married Laurene Powell
on March 18, 1991.
• Had 3 children – Reed, Erin &
• In 2004, Jobs announced to have tumor in his
• On July 31 - had surgery to remove the tumor.
• In 2009 – Jobs went on 6 months leavefor liver
• Apple has total of 284 retail stores
• Last quarter they had 50,000,000 visitors.
• App stores 140,000 applications.
• 3 billion applications downloaded in 18 months
• Fiscal quarter of 2010 ended with $15.6 bn of
revenue making Apple Inc. a
more than $50 bn company.
• Apple is largest ‘mobile devices’
company in the world.
“We started out to get
a computer in the
hands of everyday
people, and we
- Steve Jobs
• Steve Jobs - extraordinary man by standards.
• Left mark in 4 industries:
• Changed million of lives by making technology
easy to use.
• You know what the BEST part is?
– HE’s NOT DONE YET!!!