States, Nations, and Nation-
Bell Ringer: Explain why organizations such
as ASEAN and the UN are crucial in world
affairs and political geography.
What is a State?
• When you hear the term state what
definition do you apply to the word?
• For our discussion the definition of state
will be: an independent political entity
holding sovereignty over a territory.
• Compare and contrast your personal and
traditional definition to our class definition.
What is a Nation?
• When you hear the term nation what definition
do you apply to the word?
• For our discussion the definition of the word
nation will be: a group of people with a common
culture occupying a particular territory, bound by
a strong sense of unity arising from shared
beliefs and customs.
• How do the definitions of State and Nation differ
from your initial thoughts?
• Determine how we can keep Nation and State
separate when looking at the terms in class.
What is a Nation-State?
• Can you infer what the definition maybe
for the term Nation-State?
• Nation-State: is an entity whose members
feel a natural connection with each other
by virtue of sharing language, religion, or
some other cultural characteristics strong
enough to both bind them and give them a
sense of distinction.
• While many strive for consensus few can
claim to be true nation-states.
• You and your partner will be given a
packet of nations and their descriptions.
• Together you need to compare and
contrast the nations, and infer if they are
States, Nations, or Nation-States.
• Be sure to include how you came to your
conclusions, and focus on the key ideas of
• Work quietly, and this will be discussed at
the end of class.