AND ITS USES
– Plants are alive, just like people and animals.
They grow and die, need energy, nutrients,
air, and water, produce young, made up of
cells and react to what's around them. This
unit will allow our grade II pupil know the
importance of plants in our environment.
The activities would help them understand
more on the subject and would enhance
their creativity and skills that would be
needed in the class. And also the pupil can
easily identify the parts of the plants and
• Science and Health
Grade II Pupils
Approximate time needed:
3 weeks; 3 sessions per week; 40
Standards and Benchmarks
• 21st Century Skills:
– Critical Thinking
– Communication and Collaboration
– ICT (Information, Communications and
– Initiative and Self-Direction
– Write a reflection paper on how each part of the plant
is connected to one another and the importance of the
plant in our environment.
– Write the basic parts of the plant.
– Identify the basic parts of the plants.
– Interaction through Field trip activities.
– Draw a plant that creatively shows the different parts
of the plant and state its uses.
• Behavioral Objectives:
– At the end of the 1 month session, the grade
II pupil will be able to identify the different
parts of the plant and its uses. Be aware of
the importance of the plants in our
environment. Present a drawing and coloring
that creatively shows the different parts of
• Essential Question
– What are the important parts of a living
• Unit Questions
– How can you apply the knowledge of the
different parts of the plants to the
development of the plantation in your
• Content Questions
– What are the different parts of the
plant and its uses?
– How can we make use of our acquired
knowledge about the plants in helping
our community environment flourish?
Before project work begins:
- Film showing
Students work on projects and
- The Area Exposure
- Field trips
- Make a 3-D model of a plant
After project work is completed:
- Sharing of learning
The assessments used for this lesson are all
chosen to facilitate the process of self-direction,
collaboration at the end of the whole experience.
This will begin with a Storytelling and Film showing
to motivate the pupils. Area exposures and Field
trips would help the child expose and explore the
beauty of nature wherein the results are to be
shared in the classroom. The next activities will be
a series of presentations of drawing and coloring
that will show their progress in creativity as well as
making of a 3-D model of a plant with varying colors
that correspond to the plants parts and its uses.
Finally, a sharing of learning in the class as well as
the writing of journal that will conclude their field
For this lesson, it is expected that
the grade II pupil can:
– Identify the basic parts of the plants
and its uses.
– Draw a plant.
– Share what they have observed.
The pupils will have:
– An introduction of the lesson.
– Lesson proper of the subject.
– Story telling.
– Film showing about the basic parts of
the body and its uses.
The pupils will have:
– An area exposure inside the community.
– Field trip.
– Drawing a plant by showing the importance of
– The students are required to do a project that
will require them to make and design a 3-D
model of a plant with varying colors that
signify the different uses of the parts of the
The pupil will have;
– Journal writing base on the experience
they have during the area exposure and
– Sharing of learning through their
experienced in the area exposure and
Special Needs Students
Accommodation for the pupils would be
supporting them with the instructional
materials that are highly conducive for
learning. The use of AVR would help
the pupil visualize of the basic parts of
the plants and its uses. And they will
learn through sharing of learning.
The pupils are required to explore
and expose themselves in the area
wherein it has plants that would help
them visualize the real plant and how
the plant lives outside. And through
their field trip, they are being
introduced to the different types of
the plants and how they grow in the
Materials and Resources
Required For Unit
Technology – Hardware:
Technology – Software:
Encyclopedia on CD-Rom
- Plants for observation
- Coloring Books
- Coloring Materials
- Drawing Book
• Encarta 2010 for Kids
- Tour guides in Field trips
- Other students/classrooms