TUTOR JOB DESCRIPTION AND REQUIREMENTS1
Be able to commit to tutor regularly for one school year.
Be willing to volunteer at least two hours weekly, plus preparation time.
Successfully complete the 6-hour Tutor Training Course.
Complete and turn in the “Tutor Monthly Report” at the end of each month.
Be able to work with others.
Maintain confidentiality in all tutoring situations.
Be able to attend regular in-service meetings.
TRAINED TUTORS WILL DO THE FOLLOWING:
1. Using the shared, guided or independent reading process, work with students to
increase reading skills and ability.
2. Using the shared, interactive guided or independent writing techniques, work with
students to increase writing skills and ability..
3. Be able to work with students using activities such as “making words”, “chunking”,
“word wall file folder” and other techniques to increase reading and writing skills.
4. Using the above approaches, utilize teacher-generated materials to help students reach
grade reading level.
5. Maintain a portfolio to show student progress.
6. Help student set goals and develop lesson plans to meet them.
7. Work with students to develop reading strategies the student can use to become an
8. Turn in monthly reports to PTO Literacy Coordinator.
9. Periodically contact classroom teacher to coordinate lesion with classroom activities,
for materials to supplement those activities, and to discuss student’s progress.